Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Atkins plateau

Posted by jenswrens (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 05 at 12:38

Hi. I've never been to this forum before. I usually hang out in Kitchens. Maybe someone here can lend some advice or insight into this problem I'm having with Atkins.

Two years ago I did Atkins and I lost about 40lbs in three or four months. It worked wonders, stopped the cravings, etc., practically changed my life. I stayed on Maintenance with no problems until last Nov or Dec when we made some big life changes (bought a second home, moved, started a new vet school residency program, etc.). Then I began creeping carbs back due to the stress. Gained about 15 pounds back.

In early June, I went back on Induction. Took me almost 3 weeks to lose 5 pounds, even though I was doing everything the same as I did 2 years ago. I'm still doing Induction, I am definitely in ketosis (I check my urine almost daily), but I haven't budged from this plateau. (Last time I lost 10 pounds in the first week of induction.)

I guess my question is: How can I be in ketosis and not be losing weight? Any suggestions on what I can do or what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Atkins plateau

From what I have read, many people, mainly women, have one chance at rapid weight loss using a low carb diet. I linked an article that explains the theory, hope it helps.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: golden shot

o

I started my Atkins roller coaster years ago. My experiences have been similar to the information that JpRakia provided. I was to the point I was considering eating lard to lose weight. This is the first time I heard about the golden shots. I have lost weight on Atkins over the years but this last year it was impossible. I joined weight weighters 8 weeks ago and I have lost 13 Lbs. so far. The weight is melting off like it used to do on Atkins. I'm doing Flex ( points )because "Core" sounded to much like Atkins. The strange thing is that Weight Watchers never worked for me before Akins. Try something different than Atkins and see if that works for you. If I could get Atkins to work again, I would, but Atkins has been so tough that Weight watcher is easy. I'm in the habit of counting ever carb gram so counting points are no longer a big deal. Lastly, I was to the point I was considering eating lard to lose weight. Wishing the best, Sincerely, Maggie.

o

Thanks Maggie. I'm not sure if the golden shot applies to me or not, because the article states these women have trouble getting into or staying in ketosis. That's not me. I'm in ketosis and have been and got into it rather quickly. Elsewhere on that site it also says "if you're in ketosis, you're burning fat." The only thing I can figure is that I'm not as active this year as I was 2 years ago.

o

Are you using the strips to determine that you are in Ketosis? Are the strips as purple as the star next "to post a follow-up over your user name?" What other signs do you have that you are ketosis? If you are using the strips and you know you are in Ketosis I would see a doctor. There are some people who should not do Atkins because they have problems with thier kidneys or blood sugars. Just think about it, Sincerly, Maggie.

o

Yes, I'm using the strips. I've used 2 different brands and they're both brand new bottles. I'm consistently in the medium to large category (purple to dark purple). What other signs are there? I'm genetically unable to smell ketones, so I don't know if I have the ketone breath or not (guess I could ask DH, but he probably wouldn't know what I meant!)

I've been planning to get a checkup this summer anyway for other things, so I guess I can discuss it with the Dr. then. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here