Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weekly Weigh-in, Week of 7/5/09

Posted by harold14370 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 8:40

Good morning.

I hope that everyone had a happy Independence Day and enjoyed their cookouts, picnics, etc., in moderation of course.

The results of last week's weigh-in are as follows:

Harold - Weight 214, lost 2, total lost 61
Silver - Weight 131, gained 2, total lost 24. The piper must be paid.
Eklektos - Weight 139, lost 1, total lost 14. Good-bye to the 140s, we hope.
Jasmi - Weight 138, lost 2.8, total lost 10. The water weight comes off, plus a bit.
Betty - Weight 162, lost 1, total lost 18. Just like clockwork.
Helen - Weight 163.8, lost 0.6, total lost 36.2

My results for this week:

Weight 216, gained 2, total lost 59
Average calories - food 1632, exercise 266
Hmm. Oh well, it is what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weekly Weigh-in, Week of 7/5/09

what kind of diet are you'll following ??
i would like to join you'll also :0)
beth

o

Hi, Beth.

Welcome. All you have to do to join the group is post your numbers, and you're in.

I am not on any special diet. I just count calories, cut back on the junk food, and try to eat healthy.

o

Helen - Weight 163.4, lost 0.4, total lost 36.6

I don't know just what happened, but I was down to 162 pounds on Thursday. Then I jumped up to 164 on Saturday. Boo hoo !! I added walking 2 miles to my daily excercize regime too.

Oh well, at least I ended up with a tiny loss which is better than none at all.

I guess it was the holiday week end that may have contributed to it all.

Helen

o

Hi Beth, and welcome!!! I'm doing the same maintenance-change-of-habit/lifestyle-change "diet" as Harold.

More exercise.
Less calories.

I've lost 26lbs since January but put two back on after my week of debauchery at an out-of-town wedding :)

A little loss is better than none Helen! You're probably just showing the muscle gain and the lbs will start falling off again soon.

Harold, I am PAYING the piper!!! I ate ice cream the other night with fresh peaches. And then frozen yogurt too. And not exercising. I really need to get back out there.

n
e e
d

m
o t
i v
a t
i o
n

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Helen, You won't get much sympathy from me. I'd love to have your .4 lb loss this week. Beats a 2 lb gain.

Silver, that's a coincidence because I had a peach ice cream cone Saturday. Yummy. They were out of black cherry. I fit it into my calorie budget, though.

Right now, my motivation, aside from staying healthy, will be the family reunion Aug. 15, during which I will no doubt get my picture taken. Then I plan to post that pic here, along with the one from last year's reunion.

o

Welcome Beth. Harold, you are doing superb and so a 2 lbs gain over a holiday week end will just melt off this week I will just bet.
Beth as for diet, I don't consider it a diet. I am just making lifetime changes. Healthier food, limited caloric intake and move, move, move. I eat anything I want to, but in very limited amounts. I stay away from, (but don't eliminate entirely) sugar, starchy vegetables and high calorie anything. That's it.

Helen

o

I'd like to believe that, Helen, but the weight was there before the weekend even started. I'm back about to where I was 2 or 3 weeks ago. Yikes.

o

Alright Harold, now don't you DARE to get discouraged !! Hang in there and remember how you got to where you are. It ain't easy mcGee, and the debil wants you go backslide here... don't you do it. Harold you just get right back on that wonderful weight loss wagon with the rest of us and in no time, you will start seeing the pounds just roll away like so much thunder in the distance.

Don't even think about sitting on that pity pot !! I have been there and been there so long it needed fur to keep my butt from blistering. So, come on my dear mentor, take my hand and lets walk away from tempations.

Love you,

Helen

o

138.5 today--which is not bad considering that Thursday was the last of our 4 sequential birthdays plus we traveled to visit family for the 4th and did not have many good options to choose from, plus lots of time spent just sitting in the car.

152/138.5/119

Beth, I'm doing Atkins. I started Feb. 2 and have been pretty consistent with just a few days of blips. Welcome!

More later--gotta run. Sorry not to have time to chat with everyone.

o

Welcome Beth...

What I have been doing is making healthy food choices , counting calories and making Exercise as a part of my daily life. I am not following any diet .

I have lost 10 pounds since April 8th , 2009. That is not a big number . But that is coming from the healthy choices I have made and this absolutely has improved my over all confidence and energy levels.

Okay, coming to my weigh in this week, I was 147.0 this morning . 1 pound less from last week but I was 137.2 last thursday.So I did not lose much this week. All the chocolates I had for July 4th and no exercise from past 5-6 days is the reason. Well, I have to cut back on the calories and get back to my workout routine.

148/137/119

o

Don't worry, Helen. I'm not going anywhere. It just that I'm a little bit puzzled because up to now, everything has worked pretty much according to theory; i.e., eat 3500 calories less than the tables say, lose 1 lb. But after 3 weeks, you gotta wonder.

I don't think I'll change much for now. We'll see what another week brings.

o

Blunder again!!!!

I was 137.0 this morning ..

o

jasmi--I think you are subconsciously afraid that you aren't going to stay in the 130s, and that the 140s are still looming over you, so you keep typing a 4. It's time to let go of that fear! 137 is solidly in the 130s. It would take a lot for people our size to gain back 3 pounds. I think you're free of the 140s!
137 is something of a mini-goal for me for that reason--once there, I feel like I'm truly in the 130s to stay. And when I get below 137--by even a fraction--I am going to allow myself a very special treat: 1/2 of a Dove dark chocolate bar and a glass of Yellowtail shiraz-grenache. It will be a manageable splurge that won't wreck my diet or mess with cravings (unlike, say, watermelon!) but will feel totally indulgent. I'm just about a pound and a half away from that pleasure.

Harold: You'll get back on track. I'm sorry you're experiencing this gain/stall, but many of us have dealt with that all our lives. For some reason, the math just doesn't always work. Before you saw the gain, did you add some food to your diet that you had previously been avoiding? I find that no matter what my calorie or carbohydrate counts are for the day, if I eat peanuts or peanut butter, I won't lose and will even show a gain. I love peanuts, but while I'm in weight loss mode, I just can't have them at all. One tablespoon of peanut butter will put 2 pounds on me that takes days to get off. It shouldn't be that way, but somehow it is.

o

Eklektos,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did start to have an occasional beer, probably one every other day or less. The raspberries and blueberries are in season here, and I have some growing in my back yard, so I've been filling up on those. Also got some Smart Balance peanut butter and eat that on occasion. But my working theory now is that it's the warm weather. That can cause increased water retention. I'll just wait it out and see what happens.

o

138 this morning. That's headed in the right direction.

Harold, here's one other suggestion you can consider: Occasionally, I drink a couple of cups of Acai Berry Tea, unsweetened, in a day when I feel like I can't get the weight loss going. If I do 2 cups a day for 2-3 days in a row, it seems to help. I don't know if it's just because it is a natural diuretic or if it does something to balance the body's pH. There's a lot of hype out there about Acai berries right now, and most of it is probably blown out of proportion. But I figured it can't hurt to try it--it's tasty tea anyway, even without sweetener added. I like the Stash brand.

As of this morning, my BMI is now 24.8. That puts me in the ***NORMAL*** range for my height. Yay! Happy dances and fireworks! It's been a long time coming.
Now to move into the slim and trim category!

152/138/119 BMI: 24.8 :)

o

Congratulations Ek....

I am so happy for you. I know how it feels to come back to that normal weight category.

Reading at your previous messages, I also noticed that I put on weight easily when I snack on peanuts. Roasted Peanuts is a killer for me.

By the way, I was 136.8 this morning .... Even a single point weight loss makes me HAPPY these days :-)))

o

Jasmi, I had you down for 138 last week, so I'm giving you credit for a full pound this week. Congrats.

Eklektos, congrats on the BMI milestone.

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies, but I'd rather not give anything up unless I need to. Standing pat for now.

o

Thanks Harold.

I hope to see 136 on the scale for next weigh-in.

I am so looking forward to weigh in lower 130s.

o

Jasmi--136 sounds so small! 137 to me sounds small also. I am very happy to see 138, but you know, in my mind (and this might sound really silly) the 8 looks so fat--rounded and plump. A 7, on the other hand, looks really skinny, so I'm looking forward to drop-kicking that 8 and seeing a 7. I am hoping for one tomorrow, even if it is followed by a decimal and something else after that.
Obsessed, me? Probably.

I've been really good today. I deserve a reward on the scale tomorrow.

o

Good Morning,

Soooo sorry I'm late to the party.

First, WELCOME Beth! The more the merrier on this journey together. We encourage and lift each other up as we are heading to a healthy weight.
Tell us about yourself.

I woke up one morning and while getting ready for church I started having the worst pain that started in my mid-back and came straight through my body to my heart and up the left side of my neck. That was classic female symptoms of heart trouble and it scared me plumb to death!
That was my wake up call. I started that day to watch what I ate. It took me a week or so to get to the store and buy a set of scales. When I weighed the first time I was 180.
I think that was sometime in March. Basically, I'm trying to stick to a modified version of the South Beach diet. That works better for me than any other diet I have ever tried. I say modified because I've got lots of allergies and can't eat onions, garlic, and most cheeses(due to the naturally occuring mold that happens in the process of becoming cheese). The SB diet has those as well as lots of fish. I HATE FISH!!! The real secret to the SB diet is low carb and heart healthy eating. It works for me.

OK...... I have a confession to make, guys. Monday was my 55th birthday. We also had a Lady's meeting at church. Pastor's wife made these decadent mini-cupcake type thingies with melted dark chocolate poured over them. I ate one as well as LOTS and Lots of fruit INCLUDING watermelon.
Y'all know my weigh-in day is Tuesday. I got on those scales Tuesday and it said 164lbs. I wouldn't log on and report that number because it would give me a 2 pound gain. I was ashamed and embarrassed. Yesterday morning I was back to 162 and would have come here and reported that number, but it was such a busy day and everytime I came near the computer there were people in the room. And y'all are the only people in this world who know how much I weigh.

They say confession is good for the soul. I know I've felt guilty ever since I wouldn't come tell y'all the truth. So... there it is. Just like you, Harold - it is what it is.

This morning I got great numbers, but I will stick with the true number that was there Tuesday morning and share the good number next Tuesday.

Thanks, Harold for being honest. It really helps me to be accountable and true to myself. I got fat by not being honest with myself about my weight and what it was doing to my life and health. I don't want to go back there.

I hope everyone had a great Holiday weekend. Lots of stress here. Still haven't made time for the treadmill. Swamped with paperwork trying to get DH's aunt's finances in order since we moved her in with us. Too many bills and not enough $$. The extra mouth to feed is hurting our already tight finances, too.
I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel which we may get to in about 4 months, but the stress getting there is much greater than I thought. Every day brings more bills in the mail that we didn't know she had and she either forgot or just doesn't want to face.

I'm a stress eater, but she is labor intensive and I think that has helped me to keep a lid on the overeating (execpt for last monday night!).

I missed logging in and spending time with y'all during the week. I will try to do better this week.
Everyone except Harold and me had a good week weight wise. Keep up the good work.

Silver, you have set such a good example with your diet and exercise for us all. Don't wait too long to get motivated again and backslide on us.

GREAT numbers for you both Ek and Jas!!!!

Helen, A loss is a loss and you had a loss! I'm PROUD ;~)

Have a great day,
Betty

o

Betty,

I'm glad you're back. I was beginning to wonder where you were. I hope you've been to the doctor after you had the chest pain. It's possible to have a heart attack without even knowing it. I don't mean to scare you.

Sorry you are having the financial trouble and hope it works out for you.

We really need to learn not to panic over 1 week's weigh-in, and I should listen to my own advice.

I wonder where Silversword is. I think her weigh-in day is usally on Tuesday. Did she just forget to report her weight?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here