Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combating the 'Weekend Effect'

Posted by silversword (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 2, 09 at 10:04

Combating the Weekend Effect
By Erik on Jun 02, 2009 12:00 PM

Everybody loves the weekend, right? Everybody, perhaps, except our waistline. Weekends can wreak havoc on our willpower and diet, sending an otherwise consummate calorie counter off the proverbial rails.

Monday Morning Misery
Ask almost anyone logging their weight on a daily basis and you're likely to hear the same sad old saw on weekend weight gain. Whether it's the added difficulty of eating out in social situations, or merely the switch up in weekday routines, many find themselves back to square one Monday morning after two days and three nights of unintended indulgences.

Having personally suffered from the weekend effect, I decided to look back over my Calorie Count weight log and measure the actual impact during one year of weight history (2008). Over this period of time, I actually lost more than 40 pounds by limiting my daily caloric intake using the number suggested with the calorie target tool and increasing my physical activity by taking up running, including training for and completing a half marathon.

In order to determine the weekend effect, I looked at my average daily weight loss or gain for last year, counting Tuesday through Friday as "weekdays" and Saturday through Monday as "weekends", since the weight scale represents a lagging indicator. The results were staggering and confirmed my hunch - on the average weekday I lost about 0.75 lbs, but on the average weekend day I gained nearly 1 lb. Yowza!

Damage Control
Clearly, the weekends were not doing me any favors, despite the fact that I was making every effort to eat healthy and continue my exercise program. All too often, though, I found myself eating out or enjoying a few drinks, surrounded by unhealthy choices and friends or family encouraging me to bust my calorie targets. As much as I tried to stick with my plan, it was nearly impossible to avoid the temptations.So what can we do to avoid falling into the weekend trap?

Plan, Plan, Plan
Without a doubt, the best way to avoid going overboard on the weekends is to plan your meals and activities well in advance. With a plan in place that you can stick to, you'll be able to avoid the bad choices that are so hard to resist when unprepared. Of course, the hard part is actually sticking to the plan, so make sure you start by setting realistic plans, then either write them down or share them with your friends or family to hold yourself accountable.

Stay Active
Have a little spare time? Take up a sport or activity that will get your heart rate up and burn a few extra calories - even if it's as simple as enjoying a walk around the neighborhood or organizing some yard games with your family after a big meal.

Take a Cheat Day
It's important to remember that despite the fact that I gained weight on the average weekend day, overall I successfully lost more than 40 lbs. Since it's possible to lose weight over the long run without getting too worked up over the weekends, some think the best bet is to loosen up a bit and take a "cheat day". Of course, even with a cheat day it's essential to maintain some degree of moderation and ensure one day off doesn't lead to two or three (or more).

Above all, remember that weekends are meant to be a time of relaxation and rejuvenation. Whatever strategy you decide to take, make sure you maintain a sense of balance and enjoy your time off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combating the 'Weekend Effect'

I think this is some really good advice. For me, week ends are no longer a challenge. I eat only at places that I know I can stay on track with my food. And when invited to a function at a friends home or at church or somewhere else, I simply make sure I have a healthy snack with me in the event that the food offerings are way off my prescribed eating. But so far, my low fat, low carb granola bar is still in my purse. I have been on this journey for so long, it has become an automatic reflex for me these days.

Helen

o
RE: Combating the 'Weekend Effect'

Not doubting Erik's data, but I think there must be something else going on besides eating out on weekends. He says he loses on average 3/4 lb on a weekday. A pound is 3500 calories, so he has to burn 2625 calories a day more than he eats. Starvation time. Then on weekend days, he would have to eat about 3000 more than he burned to gain almost a pound. Pure gluttony. That's a difference of say, 5600 calories between a weekend day and a weekday. I don't think so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here