19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

********______________________

Mornin'. It's the best I can do....!

MARCIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

BJ - I am quite impressed!!! You have so many talents LOL.

DeeMarie - I forgot it was Flag Day and I am quite disappointed, because our town normally has the street lined with flags for Flag Day. I think all the guys that put up the flags were busy with the OCC and Americade.

I have a ton of work staring at me, but had to say hello.

Day 1 MagicKitty

• Related Discussions

SS Support Mon. June 9th thru Sun. June 15th

Q

Comments (61)
    Happy Father's Day to all...if you still have your Dad enjoy, celebrate and cherish. Jan, I lost my Dad last May and miss him so very, very much. He gave so much great advice to me (and some not so great!) but I think answering the QOD, no matter what problem I went to him with, he would tell me "don't worry about it kid, we'll work it out" and that calmed me and we did always work out out one way or another. Today was a day of running errands. Yesterday was spent with a very dear old friend having lunch and wine at her beautiful home on the bay. We sat outside and enjoyed the weather and the boats going by. She told me not to buy golf clubs until she got her old ones down from the attic. She gave them to me yesterday and now I can finally get rolling on my lessons! Today another friend started putting the grill together...one part is too small believe it or not! Called Target where we bought it and off there tomorrow night to return small part and, hopefully, get the right one so we can finish up and start grilling!!! He brought is two 2 year old beagles (both boys) and my 14 year old Lacey was the perfect little hostess...I forgot how nosy and rambunctious young dogs are but they are sweethearts. Gotta run, fun stuff still awaits like getting the trash together and lunch for tomorrow. Will check in tomorrow..enjoy your evening. (((Hugs))) to all that need them - good thoughts and prayers are being sent your way. Donna
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon June 14th thru Sun June 20

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi Guys! Well, I finally have time to post a little! Raeanne- Glad to be back in the swing of things. I have been using my SAD light a little when I'm at work at night...helps the mood...a lot. NYSuzanne: My DD (11 yrs old) started raising quail, chicken, and pheasant for a science fair. Well, as soon as the fair was over, the racoons invaded and had a bird hunt. Soooooooo sad for everyone and every bird involved. The racoons, foxes, and deer on this island are a HUGE problem for humans- but that's nature for ya! They have no predators, so there are millions of them. I finally gave up planting anything that I could eat since the deer ate it ALL before me! I bought a 40 pound bag of clover seed and grew a front yard of clover for the deer - now I have people pulling over in front of my house to take pictures of the deer in my yard munching clover! If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em! Maddie - My dad gave me Kentucky Monthly magazine so I can read all about what's happening in your neck of the woods...and think of YOU, sister. Muh-wah! Ivamae - CONGRATS on your weight loss - what an inspiration you are! Tikanas - SAVE SOME TIME FOR YOURSELF, girlfriend!!! And when are we gonna meet up? Next time you're in Portland, Seattle, or whatever, let me know. I'll drive to you!!! :-) DeeMarie: I just got a cruise brochure and instantly thought of you! It's been so long since I've cruised... WAH! Isn't it strange how something (by happenstance) will make us think of each other? That being said, whenever I wash bras, I think of Besh - haha - she's the one who gave the sage advice of "Never put your bra in the dryer." Remember when we had the "Advice Week" thread? Ah, well...Let me see - other reminders: Whenever I think of cruises, I think of: DeeMarie Anything Salem-related or the bra thing (lol): Besh Horses or Sweet Pea Wine (We have that here): NHSuzanne! ANY wine or Chippino (We had that when we were with you): Raeanne (HAHA!) Hawaii and Futuristic Painting: Amy Kindergarten! & Successful SS: Marci ALF, Cats, and Cooking: John Harold's weigh-in thread and success!: Ivamae Austin Powers & "Who Cares About The FREAKIN Scale?": NJKaren "YUMMERS!": Happyto I have more, but I gotta get some work done... ...what are YOURS?
    ...See More

SS Support Mon., June 13th through Sun., June 19th

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Folks, Well it went from 90 and humid to 50 gray and windy.... wont be needing the AC today! This is my long weekend off so I hope the sun comes out in moderation. Ive been reading about the Four corners diet, used to be called Go -diet. Its basically a lower carb diet that supports eatting more mono fats and 25 grams of fiber a day along with foods that they consider to have exceptional value like kefir, yougurt and buttermilk. Im not sure what kefir is but it sounds creepy! Anyhow, the more I read about it the less realistic it sounds, its suppose to be a way to eat for the rest of your life, and not just a diet. However they limit you to 50 grams of carbs but you can eat as many calories as you want! as long as they come from veggies and lean meats and more veggies. Im not sure about the rest of you, but if I could Live on only lean meats and 5 or 6 servings of veggies a day, I wouldnt Need a "way of eatting". Maybe I just need to deal with the fact that as a diabetic my body just cant handle food like pasta, rice and bread, but it sure seems a crappy way to live. The other problem I have is that good carbs like whole grains and brown rice and so on, are filling foods for the caloric punch. With them Ive been eatting around 1800 calories a day. The low carb diets say I can eat up to 2200 or more a day. Calories are calories to me, and the only way to lose is to burn off more than you eat, least I thought.. However they say that this way of eatting helps keep blood sugars stable and gears your body up to burn stored fat. Im going to give this a shot for a couple weeks and see how it goes, atleast its summer and good veggies are abundant and local. I think part of me is just mad and stubborn that I cant just eat what I want anymore, I could deal with the fact that poor eatting habbits were just keeping my weight up, but now its about my health and if I dont drop the extra pounds kidney and heart troubles are in my near future. OK thats enough blubbering from me, no pun intended. Amazing that its already half way through June! time flies when your having fun, and here in NH the flies are black and have big teeth! Any vacation sounds lovely to me, but the budget simply wont allow it this summer, other than day trips in the kayak and maybe a couple camping weekends. I can cash in vaca time at the end of the year so Ive been saving mine to do so, I really want to pay off that last credit card and get into a condo or house next year, I want a decent size kitchen and a place of my own to work on. Has anyone been watching Trading spaces lately? Since they fired Page Davis, ive been on strike and refuse to watch the show, just wondering how they are doing without her. It hasnt been easy without my weekley dose of that bundle of perk in a half shirt :( Well time to wrap up things at work and call it a day. I hope you all are staying as cool as possible. Grab a sweater NHSuz, you wanted cooler weather...
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 10/17 thru Sun. 10/23

Q

Comments (25)
    BJ - (((((HUGS)))) to you and dad - I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. The light is shining bright! Maddie - sending light to your friend Bill. NH Suzanne - I have bought crystals from eBay with much success. I don't have any hanging, but I have them strategically placed throughout my house. I put a beautiful piece of Rose Quartz in the Relationship area and a Amethyst Cluster candle holder in the Prosperity area. I have some large Quartz crystals sitting on the ledge of my windows over my front door. I couldn't come up with a way to have the crystals hang from my ceilings and look good with my decor. Water fountains are great too, but I hate the upkeep of them and figure I am better off with no fountain, than to have slimey water in them. John - I find that when I Feng Shui I also "clear" my mind and that is a big part of making things happen. I'm glad that things are looking up. Dee - I'm assuming this is another cruise - where to this time? Are you going for a Guiness World Record? I think you may be the title holder already. I have been busy with rehearsals for our annual Variety Show - as usual this is the time that I wish I hadn't volunteered (come to think of it, I didn't). But next week it all comes together and I have fun. I better get some work done. I have had a lot of pleasant distractions this morning and now I don't want to work LOL.
    ...See More
  • deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, BJ!

In honor of Flag Day (which I absolutely love..don't know why, but I do), I have on a navy pantsuit, with a white short-sleeved sweater, and my American Flag silk scarve. What the hey!!!! Any excuse to celebrate, and I LOVE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• magickitty
    19 years ago

Good afternoon....Day one for me and Raeanne. I have done well so far I think... I am very tired. I guess I really relied on my coffee in the morning. I have decaf iced tea.

Dinner will be steak and cauliflower and a blue cheese tomato salad.

I did not know it was Flag day either.

Thanks Raeanne for starting with me.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Lynn, try to incorporate some fresh fruit in between meals (where appropriate in SSing). That helped me with my first few weeks off caffeine!

Good luck!
    D

• marci_pa
    19 years ago

Sorry guys, I had good intentions of starting us off this morning with a gif, but the best laid plans often go awry! LOL

DD went to a Leonard Skynard concert with some good friends and since it was late, one of them stayed over here rather than continue on home, which was another 45 minutes away. He slept in DS's room, with the computer, so I politely stayed off the computer. LOL

It is hot and humid here and after running errands, I feel like I need another shower.

Lynn and Raeanne - I was a good girl at the grocery store and I passed up lots of goodies. I had cereal for breakfast and I am eating a spinach salad for lunch. I am going to grill some chicken and make roasted broccoli for dinner. I will do Level II with you guys and keep you company.

I did my 2 mile tape this morning, so I am up to 7 miles. I did Pilates too, so I am still going strong.

Now I need to finish putting groceries away and wash my kitchen floor.

Later,
    Marci

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Suzanne, I forgot to tell you that I have you and Sweet Pea in my thoughts. Please let us know how she's feeling today.

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Good Morning All,

I have the vet coming to see Sweet Pea this afternoon. She is eating and drinking okay but is still very, very off. She does not want to move out in her normal way and I am thinking it's muscular but not sure. The vet coming is not only an equine vet he is an equine chiropractor so we will have the bases covered. I am so worried because there is no apparent reason for this it's something very suttle.

Yesterday while in the barn I noticed my "neighbor" in my back field which was odd but even odder was that she was throwing the brush that we trimmed two weeks ago into my pasture! I walked out there and asked her what she was doing and she started screaming at me about how my fence was on her property!! and that I had no right to cut trees, (brush) on her property! It was very strange but then this neighbor has been called the neighbor from hell by others. I tried to reason with her but she was just screaming and throwing things so I walked back to the barn. I now have to research our property border but I KNOW that she is quite mistaken as I believe there is 20-30 feet between the fence and the property line! It's so ridiculous and I don't have time for this but I have to address it. She was throwing brush into my pasture that could actually harm my horses. Wilted leaves are very toxic to horses plus there is other brush that I can't even identify. Now I have to worry about this!

I called the people we bought this house from and he assured me the fence was not on her property. He thinks he still can find the survey and will come on Wed. to walk the line with me.............OY VEY. I live in the woods so I won't have to deal with this!

Maddie and BJ, great pix of you two.

My eating is out of control between my SP worries and now this! I must get my emotions in control.

• magickitty
    19 years ago

Good morning. Day two.... I am Crabby as all get out.

DeeMarie - Thanks for the fruit info.. I am gonna have a nectarine right now.

NHSuzanne - sorry about your horse and neighbor.... you have your hands full.

Marci - thanks for joining in.... misery loves company... LOL.

Day two
    from crabby lynn

• Gret1
    19 years ago

Morning:

NHSuzanne: I know how worried you are about Sweet Pea...don't you wish they could tell us what is wrong? Hopefully the vet can find out what is going in with her. I have been there.. Your neighbor situation is very familar also...( We do have a lot in common) At my home is San Diego, I had the same type of situation. One night I heard this hammering going on in the corner of my pasture. I went out there and here was this neighbor who was RENTING the house behind me, attaching a wire to MY FENCE. I calmly asked him was he was doing and he said " I am attaching my horse fence to yours" I said that our fence was about 10 feet in on our property line to which he responded with " Back where I come from we just hook on to our neighbors pasture". My response was "Well, here we ask our neighbors FIRST". We let him do it but HIS HORSES were chewers and totally destroyed my nice pasture fencing. This guy continued to be a jerk and actually bought some property across from our pasture. There was a legal access road that ran on the edge of his "new property" and would videotape my kids riding their bikes along the road...he would hassle the quad riders also. He would then do natural breeding with his horses in the road. For those of you who have never witnessed a horse "breeding" let me tell you...the sounds alone are horrible. I had little kids. The guy was a loaded gun and I ended up having to keep my kids away from that side of the property. So I have great empathy if you have to deal with this on top of Sweet Pea. Hang in...I know you are worried Suzanne.

Gret

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WOW,such neighbor stories! Good luck everyone, and I hope that Sweet Pea feels better.

Can someone please e;mail me or provide me with my way back to the picture gallery? I've gotten a new computer here at the office and at home, and I lost my link. :-(

Gotta go through a bunch of files today to look for something, so I'll be back!

Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Gretchen that is too funny about your neighbor. The same neighbor of mine did just that when she got her horse. Poor horse. She had no business in the world owning a horse! She decided that she could simply use my fence on that side or her property. So her horse would come lean onto my fence. I told her that she couldn't do it of course so that started things off on a sour note. Her horse and goat were literally at my house every morning when I would go the barn and I would walk them back. Over and over and over. finally I got tired of it and called her at 5am to tell her to come get her animals.
    She did and has never spoken to me again until now! She is certifiably nuts I think. Imagine if I hadn't been home and there were cut cherry trees or some other toxic leaf for my horses to get into? What a fruitcake.

Thanks for the well wishes DeeMarie. I am leaving now to go meet the vet and will report later.

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

NH Suzanne - I remember you saying that you had to return your neighbor's horse once - I feel bad that she had any animals at all. So, this person should know better than to put anything toxic on your property - I will continue to send SP positive thoughts (you too!).

Marci - I am really low in legal food and with DD home, we have some funky stuff. I had melon this morning - you are right about the fruit tip. I went to a pre-school graduation last night and it made me long for working with them. When the teacher spoke - my eyes teared up and I only knew one little girl there - if anyone saw me they would've thought I was crazy.

BJ - are you counting down the days? How long will you be off-line during your move?

DeeMarie - My e-mail server is working right now, but as soon as it does, I will post a link to the photos.

Gretchen - Some people are just so inconsiderate of others. I had a neighbor that hired a tree cutting crew to cut the trees in my front yard, so he could have a better view of the lake. Very considerate of him - considering he asked us once and we said NO. Thank goodness we were home when the crew came. Not to mention, he already has one of the best views.

I am going to a Chamber of Commerce dinner/auction tonight and made a little herb garden for the auction. It is in a clay pot and I dressed it up with a yellow polka dot ribbon and made some little name tags for the herbs using the ribbon (glued onto tongue depressors). It came out so cute - I may have to bid on it LOL.

QOD - tell us about your neighbors, the good, the bad and the ugly LOL?

I have an across the street neighbor that is only here from May through October, they are friendly, but keep to themselves. The house next to me is owned by people that only use it on weekends - maybe once or twice a month - they are the best neighbors to have LOL. I can't see any other houses from mine, but we have about 15 families and only 4 of us are year round residents - so my neighborhood is normally very quiet.

• marci_pa
    19 years ago

DeeMarie - Please check to see if your email server is blocking my email address. I sent you the link (3 times in fact) and I have a feeling by your post, that you didn't receive any of my emails. Sorry if you thought I was ignoring you. :~(

crabby (aka lynn) - I have to thank you! I went to Costco, Walmart and Target this morning, and didn't buy one single illegal food! I will tell you that I picked up quite a few, but I put them back. And they were giving out samples of BROWNIES at Costco too! LOL I had to keep telling myself that I made this commitment to join you guys and I should keep my word. Now I am eating some turkey roll-ups and stuffed celery for lunch. Dinner will be tacos for the rest of the family and a taco salad for me.

Raeanne - I almost always get in trouble when I don't have enough legal food choices in the house. I tend to make such bad choices when I am hungry and in a hurry. One good thing I have noticed about the summer is that I tend to eat when I am hungry and not be ruled by the clock. I have been getting up and exercising (I walked 2 miles this morning and lifted weights, so I am up to 9 miles), showering and then eating breakfast around 9/am. Then I don't get hungry for lunch until 1 or 2 and I usually eat dinner between 6 and 7. Stretched out like that, I don't tend to crave snacks like I do during the school year. You would not have believed (or maybe you would) how many parents went all out for preschool graduation. We had one family that brought 17 people to the ceremony, lots who had ordered sheet cakes, some who brought bunches of flowers for the graduate and still others who were taking the whole family out to dinner to celebrate. I guess it is an emotional time for parents who don't want to see their "babies" grow up.

NHSuzanne - I am keeping my fingers crossed that you find out what is going on with SP and get it solved. I have a "good" neighbor story to share. My next door neighbor's yard looks like a used car lot, so I went to the police to find out how many unlicensed cars you were allowed to have on your property. At the time, my neighbor had 3!! You were allowed to have 1, IF you were actively working on it. My neighbor doesn't actively work at anything! But my DH asked me not to file a formal complaint and said he would talk to them about the situation. So far one unlicensed car has disappeared, but two more with licenses have appeared. They also pitched a big white tent in their side yard. I just "grin" and bear the situation, but I wish I was more forward and could file a complaint without worrying about stepping on anyone's toes or causing a neighborly rift.

Gretchen - I went to the library today and put My Sister's Keeper on hold. By the time I got home from runing errands, the library had already called and said a copy had been returned. So I will be picking it up in a few days. I did finish Perfect Match and I was dissapointed in the ending. If I had been on the jury, I would have found her guilty. To me the ending wasn't believable. I picked up Second Glance today and will probably try to read it in the next few days before I pick up MSK.
    Thanks for the recap of Harvesting the Heart!! LOL

I'll check in later to see if there is an update on Sweet Pea.

Marci

• Gret1
    19 years ago

Marci:

I looked last night at Costco for the new book...it wasn't there...I so wanted to get it to read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jodi Picoult's website

• marci_pa
    19 years ago

Gret - I looked for My Sister's Keeper at Costco too and couldn't find it. That is why I ended up at the library. I also wanted to get The Devil Wears Prada, which I had seen last time I was there, and it was gone too. I guess you really do have to grab the books you want when you see them since their inventory changes so rapdily. Thank goodness for libraries. And thanks for the JP link.
    Marci

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I've walked 3 1/2 miles since Sunday!

Marci, I can't understand why you are being blocked. I'll look into it!

D

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Well the news could be lots better about SP but they could be much worse too. She is in the early stages of founder but we don't know how early yet. The next 48 hours will be crucial. Founder is one of the worst conditions you can have besides colic. Founder is an inflammatory conditon in the hoof which causes the hoof wall to seperate from the sole of the foot and rotate a bone called the coffin bone. It's very painful in severe cases and most horses with severe founder have to be put down. SO, if we have caught this in the early stages she will be okay. There are many causes but most likely for Sweet Pea is too much grass and she is overweight, at least according to the vet. Morgans are very easy keepers and really need nothing to maintain weight so it's going to be hard to get weight off her. Perhaps this will be an incentive for me. Right now she is on an anti-inflamatory drug, having her feet soaked, and I have made a pair of pads for her front feet that are made out of 2" thick styrafoam and have taped them to her feet. She is an excellent patient except she hasn't gotten the hang of putting each foot in a bucket yet. She hasn't figured out what I am asking her to do. I do not believe she is any severe pain but the anti-inflammatory will help ease any discomfort she is feeling.

All of this is bad enough but I have to leave Friday morning early for a family trip to the Bahamas. I can't even remember is I told you all this. Remember the 50th anniversary for my inlaws????? Well, DFIL decided the family should all go on a trip. Because DSIL's have small children they voted for a resort. Who wants to go to the Bahamas in June?????? NOT ME. Not to be ungrateful but this is prime season. I have a very competent horse women staying at my house and I know she will be able to take care of Sweet Pea.

That's it. I think I will go have a good cry. I feel like a bad mother for letting this happen to my girl.

• marci_pa
    19 years ago

(((NHSuzanne & Sweet Pea))) - Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't "let" this happen!! You sensed that something was wrong, the same way a mother can sense that something is wrong with her child, even before there are any physical symptoms. (I talked to my DS once and could tell by the tone of his voice something was wrong. Found out later, he had just had a fight with his girlfriend. I used to be able to tell if my kids had a fever before it registered on the thermometer, just by looking in their eyes.) As soon as you sensed something was wrong, you called the vet. I know you will continue to worry until she is given the all-clear from the vet, but I just know she will be all right. In the meantime, I'll make a huge sacrifice and go the Bahamas in your place!!! How is that for friendship! LOL

Marci

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

NH Suzanne - (((((HUGS)))) STOP blaming yourself, I don't know anyone that loves her pets more than you! Marci is 100% right in her post - you are so in-tune with SP, I wish I was nearby and could help you with SP - we know you would only leave your animals in the hands of someone more than qualified to handle any situation. You go to the Bahamas and you have a good time - you deserve it and you need it.

• Gret1
    19 years ago

(((((((((((((NHSUZANNE)))))))))))))) I am so sorry....Hopefully you have caught the founder in time. When I read that my heart was in my throat. Don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing everything you can right now. It brings back all my memories of my Arab who was a chronic colicer. Hang in there...she will be fine...Now if Marci would move aside...I would gladly help you out by getting a tan in the Bahama's.

Gret

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone, I am feeling so frightened this morning because the heat in her hooves is stronger even after soaking her. She isn't shifting her weight which is a good sign.

I know you are all right. I didn't do this to her but I can't help feel responsible. I wish I called the vet the instant I knew she was off. I wish, I wish. Marci, DH once drove two hours late one evening because he sensed something was wrong. He was right, there was a gray squirrel trapped in the stove pipe of my wood stove and I couldn't get him out. The fire had been going and I could here him crying in distress. I never shared it with DH but two hours later he walked in the door and asked what was wrong! We saved the squirrel who was ever so grateful.

Keep saying your prayers for her.

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

((((((((((((NHSuzanne))))))))) Tough spot to be in. But like everyone else has mentioned, how could you know? We all know the love you share with your horse; it's evident in your writings. Keep believing that this will turn out the way it's supposed to. The vet and your girlfriend will do everything in their power to take care of SP. The trip to the Bahamas, unfortunately, comes at a bad time, but perhaps you will be supported by your family and be comforted by them. We are all sending positive wavelengths of thought directly to you and your SweetPea.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

[[[[[[[[[[[[[SUZANNE & SWEET PEA]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] I could not say anything different from those above me. You are so caring and so observant. I'm sure the vet would agree with us. What will be, will be. You, the vet, and your assistant are doing everything possible....even Sweet Pea is doing what needs to be done! Go on your vacation, Suzanne. It will not make a difference if you stay home because she were careful who you chose to stay with SP.

QOD: I've had many neighbors in my lifetime....some wonderful, and some awful. I still associate with my original neighbors in the neighborhood where I was born. Our parents were best friends, and I cruise with them, invite them to parties, and feel like they are my second parents. Now, there was a family about 3 houses down....awful. We lived on a dead-end street, and my mom would let me outside when I was about 5 to play in front of the house. This family would see me come out and immediately let their dog out to chase me...I would cry and run...the dog would run after me and jump on me when I got to the fence at the top of the dead end. Once the dog bit me on the knee. They were awful people! I was always weary of animals (because I did not grow up with pets in the house; nor did either of my parents). I have disliked and distrusted dogs (and all animals) since those incidents. You must understand, in the 50's you did not sue or get involved like nowadays. My parents had no idea how much I was terrorized and traumatized by those attacks. They would say "Don't cry. The dog is trying to play with you!". It's hard to communicate certain feelings when you are 5 and you want to play out in the front with the big kids! Those neighbors always had a good laugh watching me run and scream. Oh, by the way, most of those family members in that house have now passed on...3 from horrible deaths. Karma? OUCH, did I say that!!!

Have a wonderful day, and keep those dogs on a leash!

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Boy, I put a damper on this thread yesterday. LOL

Good THURSDAY Morning!!!!!

My DSD graduates high school this evening in the football stadium, and we are expecting torrential downpours (exactly like the evening her older sister graduated 6 years ago)!! There is talk of moving it inside; however, the students don't receive as many tickets, so I may be staying home and sending her dad alone. :-(

Gotta run...I have an all-day meeting today. The corporation has setup inductions for us to meet our mentors, with an organized program on how to get the most out of the relationship. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I decided to sign up as a mentee in need of some help with information technology! Figure you are never too old to learn. They set me up with a nice gentleman who directs a large group of programmers and minders of all the servers on both sides of the pond. He's in his mid-60's, so I thing we'll get along fine! I was nervous that I'd get hooked up with a 25-year-old who would speak too quickly for this old geezer!

Make it a wonderful day!

Thinking of Suzanne, Sweet Pea, Besh, Pete, Patti & Dave, Amy, and all who may need a [[[[[HUG]]]] today!

D

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

DeeMarie - You didn't scare me off - I just didn't have any time to post. Work was swamped and then out on the lake for a dinner BBQ - we got home late and I went to bed.

NH Suzanne - keeping you and SP in my thoughts and prayers. I may be heading off to a local college having a horse show the next couple weeks to give the riders Reiki during their off time.

Patti - are you lurking? I would love to hear from you.

I am going to do a huge food shopping today, but first I am off for a walk.

6 miles to DeeMarie

• besh
    19 years ago

Good Morning:

Suzanne, my thoughts are with you and Sweet Pea. I know it will turn out ok. Enjoy your trip and remember that Sweet Pea is in good hands.

Dee, thanks for thinking of me and Pete. Pete is doing terrific. He went for his 30 day check up and things are looking great. His blood counts are all higher than they expected (that is a good thing) and did part of the Cancer Walk this past weekend. Salem Hospital does a big cancer walk once a year to raise $$ for the North Shore Cancer treatment center. It is affiliated with all of the Boston hospitals. This year the walk raised over $1M! Anyway Pete walked part of it. He is really unbelievable. He is my hero!

Things are winding down at school. We don't get out until the 25th though. Seems like it will never end! All the kids come to the library because things are slowing down in the classroom, so we are jumping (and hot, no air conditioning, no windows, just big beautiful sky lights that don't open!). Maybe I will sweat off a few pounds!

Raeanne, did you every get to see the guys from OCC? If you did, what did you think. I think they are pretty cute, (I guess that is the secret biker chic in me, NOT!).

BJ & Maddie, you guys look great. I love the pictures and thanks for sharing.

I am going to send Marci a picture of the Dr. Scholls that I painted for my sister. She loved them. Now I am going to do one more pair for a friend and maybe a pair for me and then this hobby is going to be put to rest!

QOD: Right now my neighborhood is great! No neighbor problems. We have had our share in the past. When we built our house, there was an elderly woman about 2 houses away that did not want any changes in the neighborhood. Called the police constantly on us and just made life miserable. Everyone knew she was a little on the crazy side, but her brother was some high mucky muck in the judicial system so they always put up with her. Also the house that was built next door to us, the first owner (& builder) started to deal drugs and have all night parties. I could write a book about things that went on. He ended up losing the house to the bank. The next owner came in and was a 55 year old Yuppie that thought he had to have his nose in anything we did in our yard. We used to have a duck house out on the pond and he wanted us to roof it and paint it the same color as our house. He wanted everything in our yard "estheticly (sp?) pleasing to his eye". Can you imagine? They moved away and the next neighbor was a US Congressman, whom we all loved he and his wife. They were so nice and so good to my kids. Just really nice people, so ofcourse they moved. The current neighbor in that house is very nice. We don't see her much, so I guess that makes her the perfect neighbor!

I have a question for all of you. Anybody suffer from hot flashes and what do you do to get through them? I have had them in the past, but recently they are killing me. It is the weirdest experience. I started taking vitamin E because I read that is supposed to help. Any other suggestions?

I finally finished a 900 page book that I have been reading off and on since last summer. It is called "I know this much is true" by Wally Lamb. What an awesome book. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Got to throw another load in the washer and get ready for work.

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Besh

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

So MUCH going on here----I'm taking a 1/2 hour today to read and will post later.

Besh! Here are some helpful tips for you "hotties" out there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hints for cooling your personal summer! lol!

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Besh, the girls at the office swear by REMIFEMIN. It is OTC (over-the-counter) and contains natural ingredients. It's funny to walk around and see it on desks! LOL

Raeanne, I'm about 1 mile closer; however, I ate everything in site at this mentor/mentee meeting today. Absolutely no dinner for me, unless it is a 1 point Boca burger with 0 point veggies. I got into a mini-bag of M&Ms (Marci, your kind of snack---it stood for "M"entor and "M"entee !!) Also had a coconut, white chocolate cookie. Ugh!!! I feel miserable, because I haven't had sugar like than in me for a while. Gotta go get some water.

BJ, thanks for the link. I love cool cotton sheets.....hmmmm makes me want a nap now.

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Besh - I took black cohash and used wild yam cream to relieve hot flashes and it seemed to work. I also found exercise helped a lot. I feel for you sister. A friend of mine wrote a menopause book. I would gladly send it to you - it is very thin and a quick read. I can't wait to see the Dr. Scholl's.

NH Suzanne - when you get a chance give us a SP update.

Dee- You have been so good, I don't think the M&M's did too much damage.

MagicKitty - are you still with us - let me know how you are doing.

Has anyone heard from Patti - it has been so long since she has posted?

BJ - you are so busy and still have time to come up with a link - you are amazing.

I have my house filled with legal food and so much fruit - now I have no excuses.

• besh
    19 years ago

Hi,

BJ thanks for the link. I know I'm not alone, but it is nice the read about others going through the same thing. A friend at work told me to take Evening Primrose Oil. She said it took about 30 days and the difference was incredible.

Raeanne, I would love to read the book thanks.

I have been wondering about Patti also. Patti, please check in and let us know how you and Dave are doing! We miss you.

D, I'm sorry that you ate the M&M's but I think the reason they were there is so cute! I will also look into the remefinin.

Love,

Besh

• magickitty
    19 years ago

Hello, still here.... just been busy at work and home.
    NH Suzanne - I am thinking of your horse...and hope she is dong much better.

Marci, Raeanne, I had a piece of dark chocolate.... I tried to tell myself it was ok, but I do know better. Couldn't help it. I hope to go for a swim tonight and maybe I will feel better about it. By the way, when I say piece of chocolate, I mean a whole bar..

QOD: Neighbors.... I am still best friends with the kids I grew up with and their parent are like second parents to me. Married life, we lived in Perry, Ohio a few years ago and we had the best neighbors. We always helped each other out. Moved to Florida and we have only met one set of neighbors and they are nice. People moved in behind us and my husband and I said we are going to go over and introduce ourselves....haven't yet, we don't think they are completely moved in yet.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.....

Lynn

• besh
    19 years ago

Hi again,

Lynn, what part of Florida do you live in? Just curious. DH wants to move to SW Florida and I have balked several times. At this point, we will wait until youngest DH graduates from HS, 5 years. Seems like a long time, but it goes by way to fast.

Besh

• nhsuzanne
    19 years ago

Good Morning All,

Sweet Pea is holding her own and I feel a little better about leaving her, but not much. She is in good hands. Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers please keep them coming.

I am off and it's too early to be awake. It's pouring rain so I didn't get the chance to walk Sweet Pea.

I will "see" you when I get back.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Besh, just curious...how many DH's do you have? LOL That youngest is to young to be married to you...there are laws against that sort of thing, you know! LMAO

Well, it turns out I had 6 points left for the day after the cookie and M&M issues. We went out to a pub after DSD's graduation, and I had a glass of wine (2), a veggie burger (2), half of a hollowed-out roll (2), and lettuce, tomatoes, pickles (0). Total was 6 points. I'm rocking with this stuff!!! LOL

OK, now on to the graduation. I have finally become "old" and "prim" I believe. They transferred it into the gym because of horrible thunderstorms....trees down, cable out (DH was furious about that!), some people lost power,etc. I was really bothered by the lack of attention and respect that the PARENTS displayed at this ceremony. They yelled and screamed out the names of their children during the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem. They sent down younger children from the stands to take pictures of the graduates...getting right into the aisles where the graduates were sitting. When a particular name was called, there were air horns blown (by parents!). Also, people brought tons and tons of mylar balloons into the stands, which blocked the view of others. What's with that? I totally understand that this is a time to be happy and joyful, but some of them talked right through the speeches of students! What kind of example does that set for smaller children sitting in the stands?

Another woman came down from the stands to perch herself behind the principal with video camera in hand to film her daughter being introduced and handed the diploma! OK for her, but there were 311 graduates last night! What chaos if each parent had demanded that opportunity....oh, I can go on and on and on, and I will unless I can stop myself!!!

I'm not a real parent, so I suppose that I might be overly excited if she were my "own", but her mom and grandmother did not act like the others.

We saw DSD after and took our pictures privately, and she thought it was a great night, so I guess it's just me. I expected something more respectful.

Gotta run some finance reports for my Director.

Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

NH Suzanne - Try to enjoy yourself - we will continue to send SP lots of love and positive thoughts (of course, you too).

DeeMarie - their rudeness had nothing to do with your age - those parents should have known better and behaved better. At DD's HS graduation they have the first several rows reserved for family - very nice, except that the family in front me was 11 people, aunts, cousins, etc. There were parents that had to stand for graduation - I was so mad. There was an air horn at DD's college graduation, but it was a student and he at least used it at the right time (if there is such a thing LOL). WTG with your points - you did great even with your minor indiscrepancy.

MagicKitty - I think that the dark chocolate is the best way to go, if you must have something. I knew you would definitely fit in around here when you said a piece meant the entire bar LOL.

Besh - I am at work, but if you e-mail me your address, I will get an envelope ready to send the book. If you don't get this in time - don't worry, I have your address at home (somewhere LOL).

My house is an entire disaster and so is my desk at work. I am getting that overwhelmed feeling and I don't like it. My goal is to get my desk back in order tomorrow and most of my house this afternoon. We have been out so much lately, that we seem to only be home long enough to make a mess and not enough time to put anything away.

If I get a chance I will check in later. Have a great day - it's another beauty here today.

• maddie_in_ky
    19 years ago

Hi all!

I don't know what it is with me and losing long posts, but I did it again--I swear that I have an "anti-computer" aura around me.

I had written the remaing bit about my vacation, and since the yammering part is gone, I'll just say that I did let the big pike go, and that the rest of the week was just like what I have written, except, no other big fish!!! LOL! We did get to see a moose on a river bed, a deer, a jackrabbit, an eagel (I think), and the bears again. It was a wonderful time, and I honestly think that has been the best week of my life. :):):)

Well, I guess the big news here is that, starting Monday, I AM A FULL-TIME AUCTIONEER!!!!!!! The guy that owns the auction company called me yesterday and offered me the position. I'm not making quite as much $$$, but you know--I am so excited, that I don't care!!! I am so.....just delirious! I'll be writing the ads, doing the paperwork, cleaning the estates/buildings out, making the box lots, settling up afterwards, etc.... Thank you for all of the pr@yers and good vibes--:):)

And this comes at a good time--I got a letter last week from the KY dept of unemployment, and it seems that my old employer is contesting my umemployment claim, so no $$$ is coming in right now from me, and things are starting to get a bit hairy. Can you believe that those arses are being that vindictive??? I knew my boss had turned into a ^@%^$!, but I didn't realize she'd turn on me that bad. I am contesting it, though, and will have to meet her face-to-face shortly.

I haven't caught up with the posts yet, but Besh, I am soooo glad Pete is doing so well! And NHSuzanne--hugs to you and Sweet Pea. (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

Hope this finds everyone well--

Love and hugs,

Maddie

• besh
    19 years ago

Well you know Dee, you can never have enough. I have one for every duty that needs to performed around here! I didn't even know I typed that. LOL, that was a good one!

MADDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you. Everything happens for a reason (which I am sure you have heard a million times). I know it is great to have $$$, but you are a lucky person if you can do something that you love and get paid for it. Way to go. Go and do some celebrating!

Raeanne, I will send you my address. Thanks so much. I will send it back as soon as I am done.

Dee, I am very happy that you were able to attend the graduation. The rudeness of people constantly amazes me. I deal with a lot of rude kids at school and I have to keep reminding myself, that they have learned it somewhere, and ofcourse it is at home.

Enjoy the weekend.

Love, Besh

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

Good Laundry, ahem, I mean SUNDAY morning!

From the looks of it, everyone's BUSY this weekend!

More soon, but wanted to pop in and start the day!

MAKE IT A GOOD ONE!

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

BJ - when do you take off? I am sure we won't hear from you for a little bit. I am boycotting laundry today LOL. I did enough the last 2 days - where does it all come from???

I hope everyone enjoys Father's Day! I just packed some picnic baskets for a picnic on the lake. I am hoping DH actually comes home from work on time - that will be a miracle - but I am a believer.

Maddie - I am so happy that you will be an 'O'fficial Auctioneer - I would love to see you in action. Sorry that you will have to see the boss face to face - but she is the one that should feel uncomfortable - not you!

Besh - I missed getting the book to the PO Saturday, but it will go out tomorrow morning.

I am up to 8 miles closer to Dee and French Lick.

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

(((((((((SWEET PEA! and Suzanne))))))))))) Hope you're feeling better! NHSuzanne~ Let us know what is going on upon your return!

(((((((((PETE))))))))))))))))) Besh, I am thrilled to hear of Pete's progress. Late last week, I signed up to be a bone marrow donor. I was tested last year for Brandon, so I got right on the registry, starting in August. I had a couple of things pierced last August and so I have to wait a year before donating - that's the rule if you've had piercings or tattoos. But, anyway, at least I'm good to go when I get back. I have to call my brother today and am wondering what to say, but I know I'll think of something. This is the first Father's Day without Brandon and I can't imagine the pain. But, you know, having Pete reports makes me feel SO good, knowing that medicine IS moving forward and is successful in many cases. Yay for the docs and researchers!

Raeanne~ Soooooooooooo.....Did your herb garden fetch a worthy price at the auction? You didn't buy it, did you? lol! I know you were thinking about it! I have to do the rest of the laudry before I leave on Wednesday. And I won't be 'connected' until the 1st or 2nd of July, but then, I'll be back!

My landscaping is FINALLY completed. I was mowing and potting plants yesterday to complete the look! Maybe I'll shoot a couple pics for Marci's book! I love it! I'm staining the new deck today. It's quite a LARGE job, but we finally have the weather for it! I'm cycling sprinklers, trying to get everything programmed for the housesitter!

Gret! Nice to hear from you, sis! How's summer for you and your SO and the kids?

DeeMarie! I love hearing of your success on WW! I weighed in yesterday and was up .8 - it's okay tho' - not as bad as I thought, with the stress of moving and all! lol! I am eating a lot of fruit (especially berries) instead of the bad stuff! OH! And I agree with you on the leashed dogs---my huge pet peeve - pun intended - is those retractable leashes, where people can just reel their dog out to po*op on a lawn and then reel them back in and keep on walking....don't get me started or I'll kill this thread with the heat!

MagicKitty! I love that name! Hope you are on track and counting your days. When you rack up a full legal week, buy a huge buncha flowers for yourself and put them by your bathroom sink. Each morning, you can feel and SEE the rewards of treating your body to a healthy diet! I'm happy you're here with us!

Marci~ That graduation sounds wild! Cake! I would dive right in!!!!! I went to my 13 yr old's 8th grade bridging and there was so much whooping and hollering that they finally made an announcment that you could clap ONCE for each child. Worked out wonderfully from then on- one large group clap and on to the next! FAST and we were outta there. I'm not into awards ceremonies, even if it involves my kid----is that bad? I like the private, family celebrations better! But the kids love all the hullaballoo, so I go along! Oh, BTW, how do you like Pilates? My sister started and raves about how flexible she's getting!

QOD: Neighbors. All good except one...and she lives next door. But it's a sunny day here today, so I'm not gonna talk about her! The rest stop on the street and talk, we all have a summer BBQ together, and help each other out. I like it here, but I'm ready to move. I love starting over in a new house and new place! I should join the circus really.

DH is in the rental up north. It's great, except for there's a goose in a kennel out back. The landlord says she will get it out of there soon---I won't hold my breath. I may be a goose keeper this summer; DH says it's pretty sloppy, but doesn't smell. I had never heard of animals coming with a rental before, but since I've been telling people about it, I have heard of dogs, cats, and birds coming with a rental. It's only 3 moths, so I had to figure out how much of a big deal this is and if I wanted to steam about it. After the initial marinate and disbelief, I decided to let it slide. I've changed enough diapers; I can clean a goose cage, I guess! -lol!

MADDIE! CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW JOB! I am so happy you'll be doing something you have dreamed about and love! Your karma has to be very good for this to happen! I was just tickled when you announced the news of being able to work at an auction house. As far as the unemployment goes, if you can, at all, live without it, do. That place carries such a cloud of doom for you, maybe it's better to release it. However, if you feel the wrongs of your boss should be brought out an faced, then do it with conviction and support. With a life as a previous employer, I can tell you that many unemployment requests are contested as it costs the business money in the long run. So it's probably nothing personal, just a course of business. Keep us posted about your new job! I couldn't do it---too much cool stuff to buy for myself!

Hi Patti! Hi Amy! Hi Joanne! Hi KYSusie! Hi Jen! HI JOHN! Hi Zig! and Hi to all you other bunnies out there!

Well, that's my book for now.

Have a great week! START NOW!

• Wild_Chicken
    19 years ago

"3 moths"...I meant, 3 MONTHS! In AK....not 3 moths. Geez! SPELLCHECK, where are you?

• aka_raeanne
    19 years ago

Well DH is 12 minutes late - but who is counting? LOL His 9:30 appt, is running a little late - 3 HOURS!!! Oh well, the season is short and you have to deal with these things.

BJ - a pet coming with a rental is a new one to me too. I wonder what Sapphire will think of a goose LOL. I have one of those retractable leashes, but since my closest neighbor is about 200 feet away and never here - I think I am safe. I only walk my dog on our own property - we have nearly 5 acres. I read your post and didn't catch the moths - so much for my proofreading skills.

Funny about mentioning dogs. We never have stray dogs here and yesterday morning I found 1 in my driveway, she was friendly and I was able to get a # off her tag and then realized she may belong across the street, sure enough - she had escaped from them. When I came home for lunch there were 2 black labs in my driveway. When I got out to investigate them further they were gone - nowhere to be found.

I will post our Father's Day picnic menu
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Steak Skewers in an Asian Marinade of soy sauce, garlic and ginger
    Coleslaw
    Watermelon for later

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH