SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
besh_gw

SS Daily Support 6/27 - 7/3/05

besh
18 years ago

Good Morning!!!!!!!

Today is my last day of school! Have a wonderful day, stay cool and drink your water. More later!

Love, Besh

Comments (35)

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good Morning All and happy Monday.

Besh, I hope you were able to stay on the water this weekend, what a killer and it continues!

I am back from Acadia and words cannot describe the incredible beauty of this place. It's mountains, forest and ocean all rolled into one. The driving roads are just unbelievable. Perfectly groomed, good footing for horses, no cars whatsoever. As you travel along you can look out into the bay or ocean which is dotted with small, rocky islands with tall spruce trees jetting up. That is forever how I will visualize this part of Maine as the small, rocky islands are so prevelent. For those of you who don't know about Acadia National Park......it was owned by John D. Rockerfeller who set out to design carriage driving roads in the 1930's. He had partners, architects and engineers layout these roads to maximize the views of the oceans and bays. The roads are linked in places by beautiful arched bridges made of stone and very often there is a waterfall descending at the bridge which is truly spectacular. Many of the roads follow mountain streams and wind and turn through the woods, some of the roads are all grass and as you trot along you can look out at a great expanse of green, green field and ponds and other roads climb mountains and at each turn you see more and more of the ocean and islands. It's just unbelievably breathtaking. If you are a carraige driver this is paradise. Sweet Pea was in her glory. I drove her each day except for the first day when I rode and I decided that this driving was too good to waste. We were presented with some fun driving challenges, like trotting through the twisty, winding road along the brook and maintaining our pace throughout........it was all good, I could go on and on.

The place that we camped in was very nice too. It's the only place on the entire island where you can stable horses and there is never more than 30 horses there at one time. The stalls are open air so the horses can see all around them and get the benefit of the ocean breezes. There are NO BUGS there for horse or human. It must be the ocean air. The stable gives wagon rides up to some of the more sencic places for the public and the wagons are pulled by Belgians and Percherons, both huge draft horses of French descent. They had six pairs of them.

We ate out several nights in Bar Harbor where I dined on very fresh and very tasty lobster! YUM. We all drank too much of course. I made margeritas a few afternoons after driving. They were great. I went through about 3 dozen limes and a bottle of tequila! Over induldged to say the least.

The 8 hour drive was well worth it and I cannot wait to go back next year.

I haven't gotten caught up here yet but I hope all is well and that everyone is surviving the heat. This weekend I spend getting caught up on things like mowing lawn and field and weed whacking. I am exhausted this morning and so is DH!!

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Been out too long....but now to catch up!

First off, Raeanne! I received your box of stone/crystals. LOVELY SURPRISE! Thank you SO MUCH! It really brightened up my life. You are the best!

Have you gotten to do much kayaking? I am going to take my kids kayaking this summer - in rentals, of course. My teens really want to go and so do my little ones. So off we will go, singing "One Little Duck with the Father on His Back".....!

NHSuzanne~ Gad! You have such a touch for painting a picture through your writing. I can SEE everything you write about! Makes me want to take another trip over there! Sounds like SP had as good as time as you, sans the Margueritas!

Amy~ Are the mangos ripe yet? BTW, WHAT IS SHOYU? Only about 3 weeks till I am Hawaii bound. Too bad I'm a few islands away from you or I would surely come and visit. We'll be in Hilo - it's less expensive for what we have planned and less flying with the kids. But ALOHA anyway! In the next couple of years, I will be making a solo trip to your island- I've made a goal of it! --so I'll see you then! How's the non-profit venture coming along?

John~ How's the blood sugar? Is your doc pleased????

Marci~ Are you still planning a reunion for your DH's side of the family? Do they all live nearby or what? I can't imagine planning such a large gathering!!!!! What does it entail? I might try....... Is there a website you use to make lists----or what? My family needs to get together soon. My folks are getting up there and it might be fun to drag everyone out to meet each other again. BTW, how's DH liking the couch? (wink)

NHSuzanne~ Doesn't your family get together each year at a planned gathering place or something?

Besh~ HAPPY LAST DAY of SCHOOL!!!!!! I was sorry to hear you missed Jimmy Buffet - I know you are a big fan of his! I hope you were able to enjoy the evening anyway. :) The reading list for teens you gave us last year was great. It had Finding Max, Olive (or something), and more. This year, I am trying to get my teens to read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teenagers", and they SAY they're reading it, but it doesn't seem like it. They're not doing any of the exercises!

I hate to sound whiney (REALLY!), but my 17 yr old hasn't picked out a college and I had to practically nag her to death to order college materials last week----finally! She wants to be a director or producer of movies (no competition there!---lol). I finally called a local film school and the owner is going to have a consultation with her in the next couple of weeks. Okay, you parents of older kids and people without kids, I need help. I feel like I should let them make their own way, but my older daughter is internet addicted and that's about all she does now - internet and the SIMMS game and says summer is for realaxing! WHAT????!!!!! Suggestions, please, and be HARD CORE with me! PLEASE! She's entering her senior year and she says she doesn't want to grow up. She's been to counseling and the counselor sys she's normal. Fine. yipes. Don't sugar coat it, just give me a plan - even a tough one, goal list, expectations, etc. Am I micro-managing them too much? She and I have a decent relationship, so we can actually talk ---but mostly it gets us no where. (thanks)

Anyway, there's my first vent. (whew)

Raeanne- Do you know the way to San Jose? :) Is the wedding trip on? Stop by Seattle!!!!!!

In other news, I have an part/part time job as an apprentice funeral director at a funeral home here. I LOVE IT!---- but it puts DH in a bad mood. He hates talking about my job and has banned it from the dinner table. Meanwhile, he has a summer job that he dislikes at a firm downtown; that could be part of the mood. He also says we (the girls and I) don't respect him enough and he is a REAL crab lately. Maddie, chime in here any time. I enjoy your advice on men to no end. You are so funny about stating the facts about the opposite sex----! Sorry, John!, but she IS hilarious! :)

That was my second vent - how many am I allowed per year here--- again?

Speaking of strange marriages ----well, I had to make the transition.....I saw BEWITCHED last night. I liked it. A little slow in parts, but cute. People who are looking for the POP, BAM, WOW of current box office flicks should skip this one. It's like watching TV. But I enjoyed it. I don't normally like Nicole Kidman, but she was so darned cute in this. Will Ferrell was his zany self - he can't be helped! LOVED Shirley Maclaine as Endora - type cast and wonderful. Michael Caine shined as Samantha's dad. And the actress who played Aunt Clara and actor who played Uncle Arthur were perfect, although no one can ever outdo Paul Lynde, IMHO! Nuff sed on that!

MagicKitty~ How are you and DH doing on implementing the Diabetes WOrkshop info? Working for you? How was ST. Augustine? I love it there! Did you visit the striped light house? I climbed to the top! Great view!

Gretchen! Hello! Stop by!

Patti and Dave!!!! You out there?

Jen~ Girl report!!!!

Bye for now- -I'll have to catch up on the rest of the weeks later!

• Related Discussions

SS Daily Support - Monday Feb 6 - Sunday Feb 12

Q

Comments (35)
    Good (and cold!) afternoon! I've been missing in action while putting into motion plans for my immediate future. I turned in my resignation on Monday. Director refused to accept it. She's telling me that I'll be back. But, I had already decided to take time off from working, period, to finally have my knee replacement surgery. That is now scheduled for March 7th. Only one knee needs it. The other one has a kneecap problem which will be dealt with at another time. I need to drop a few pounds between now and the 7th to make recovery easier for myself. So, I've hit the SS way hard and heavy. I've been invited to a Girls' night out with some of the other teachers tonight at Gloria's, a Salvadoran and Tex-Mex restaurant. Wish me luck SS'ing there! lol Zig, it's so nice to see you here again. Jen, I'm glad your girls are on the mend. Winter is always a rough time on little ones. BJ, I admire you for being able to work in the funeral industry. It takes a very special person. Dee, sounds like you and your dh may have a very special evening coming up! Suzanne, I know the job is still hectic, but isn't it nice to have one you like? Maddie, sorry your dh is under the weather. Hope you manage to enjoy your enforced weekend at home. Raeanne, Marci, Donna, and Besh, it's always a pleasure to read your posts. Oh, Patti, where are you? Well, heading for a quick nap before my big night out on the town. I'll be up past my usual bedtime. LOL Take care and stay warm. It's supposed to drop to the 20's during the night here. Brrrr!
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 7/21 thru Sun. 7/27

Q

Comments (30)
    Wodka - I lost my sister when she was 42 and I was 40, she also had a hard life, but had totally gotten her act together when she was hit with pancreatic cancer. I do understand what you are saying and want you to know that I keep you and your sister in my thoughts and prayers. Make the most of the time you spend with her and leave the regrets behind. Marci - yes work is still extremely busy still. You must be so excited to be seeing DD soon. I have my fingers crossed for the right assistant to come your way. I know how hard that process is. I went through 4 before finding the perfect one. Besh - glad you had a good birthday, still waiting for details LOL. QOD - tonight our friends picked us up at our dock and took us to an island for a fantastic picnic and lots of laughs. The evening was perfect, warm and no humidity and the lake was as flat as it gets. Tomorrow I have yet another darn art show LOL, as well as Sunday morning. I don't have any firm plans but they will definitely involve more lake time. Suzanne - did you ever read "Soul of the Horse - Life's lessons" or something close to that. I just ordered for my DD's birthday. I should've asked you first LOL. I hope SP, Casey and all the critters are doing well. Milkdud - I had eggplant parmesan last night and had it again for breakfasts and lunch today - I love love love eggplant. Dee - your director got it right! I am so happy that they appreciate you and recognize your importance. Doing a happy happy dance for you and all the money you will be rolling in come this fall LOL. Milkdud - I never heard of Slap Yo Mama seasoning but I know it has to be good if it's anything like the steak rub you sent me LOL. I know your DDIL is a gem, but she is mighty lucky to have you as a MIL. McPeg - I feel for you and your sleepless nights - it is so hard to function like that. I hope that pattern ends soon. It is hard being a woman - I don't know too many men with that problem. Jen - it doesn't seem possible that our little nieces are that old. WOW Patti - I will check out the eggplant pizza recipe. I have been busy at work and play. Our friends from FL just left yesterday and my DD from San Diego will be coming home next weekend. We just can't seem to get any down time lately. It is sad when I actually enjoy being normal and cooking and cleaning LOL. Love to all, I do miss you when I am not here.
    ...See More

SS Daily Support Monday 7/31 - Sunday 8/6

Q

Comments (33)
    Dinner here! Are we being realistic about what we can whip up on an outdoor trip? I'll be. Since I'm flying in, as soon as I land, I'll throw some pre-seared hamburgers (blue cheese or cheddar can be added later) and whole wheat buns wrapped in foil under the cowling and cook them up with the residual engine heat. They'll be nice and toasty by the time we get settled. I'll pop a red grape, feta, candied walnut, pear, and apple chopped salad with a (little raspberry vinegarette on it) in the cooler before I take off. We can have that and some baked BBQ Lay's---I haven't had chips in a while, but this sounds like a great occasion to dive in! I'll bring a few sticks of fatwood to get the fire going so we can get the coffee (and tea) on for after dinner and have coffee and toasted marshmallows for dessert. ************************ I am on the island today. Someone highjacked out internet connection while we've been gone but my genius DH took in back last night, so I am wired! I am spending the next 2 days here in the attic room of the house---where it's quiet---writing. I have a 6 page paper due tommorrow in climates and a fair amount of homework due by the end of today. We turn out homework in through a homework site that checks for plagerism. I love it bacause I can turn my work in remotely! YAY! I have another paper due on Wednesday---my Philosophy final paper. I'm writing on Infant Euthanasia: Moral and Ethical Pros and Cons. Sooooooooooooo, I'm going to be busy. The good news is that I have wonderful weather to look out the window at and the water is calm, water birds are talking and and the sea planes are taking off and landing regularly---their rotary engines humming a beautiful tune. :) DH and DD have agreed to help me out and watch the little ones for the weekend. I better hold up my end of the bargain and get writing!!!!!! Have a great weekend!
    ...See More

SS Daily Support , July 6 - 11, 2004

Q

Comments (34)
    Here I am again. So many things going on everywhere - on the board and in people's lives. NH Suzanne, I think we all know what it feels like to have your life suddenly threaten to turn upside down on you. BJ has some good advice, and has survived pretty much everything and come out ahead. DeeMarie, I read about your brother some days ago, and was glad to see that you came to some resolutions. I don't mention it, but I think about it from time to time. I have had no contact with one of my sons and one of my brothers for two years. My friend that I talked about that I developed a relationship with over the internet is very bitter and unhappy. He hasn't taken that out on me, but I have concerns about his ability to go in a positive direction. It's one of those things where I have to accept that I don't make choices for other people, but sometimes it's painful to see someone whom you admire and care for be destructive and unappreciative with themselves. I'd like to share a site with you that a friend of mine has put together. It's called Eco-Mama. Here is part of the description from her site: Environment: Eco-Mama products are produced in ways that reduce harm to the environment and are reusable and/or recyclable. Many of the products like diapers and cloth pads reduce a familys waste considerably as well as save valuable resources and money. Also, I reuse all boxes and packing materials that I receive and encourage my customers to do the same. I'll put the link below. Back later Amy
    ...See More
  • jprakia
    18 years ago

HI folks

NHSuz- that place looks lovely and Im glad you had a nice drive. I need to head to Maine this summer some time to visit my brothers new diner near Augusta. We may do some camping too at Hermit Island, its not near as nice but its a nice spot, a private island with camp sites on the water. You missed one very hot and humid weekend here, it had to be a little cooler up there :)

BJ- My blood sugar is doing fine when I stick to the low carb diet. Thanks for asking! If I wasnt low carbing I would have to take more meds or insulin shots to keep it low. I have a lot of questions for the Dr when I go back next month, mainly because I now know what all the tests mean so I need to grill him a bit on the med choices he has me on.
    I think you may have answered your own question about cranky hubby. He has a new job he hates, you have a new job you love, maybe he gets cranky hearing about it? Thats my guess but im just a guy ;)
    As far as your oldest teen, most young adults dont really know what they want to do until they get some college behind them or a few years of working. I dont think its unreasonable to give her some kind of deadline to apply to a few colleges and if she doesnt by then, you step in and make it happen. I would agree that for someone in highschool the summer is for relaxing, though once kids are out of school its a huge wake up call that you have to work all year round. Its one of the flaws in the US school system, most countries go all year round and have a few 2 week breaks, more like real life. You also are a high activity kind of person and are always on the go, she sounds more relaxed. That may mean you two are not on the same wave length on what an acceptable amount of activity is. I used to goof off on the computer a lot when I was that age, but I also had a part time job in the summer and hung out with friends a lot at night, its all about balance imho.

I hope everyone is having a good week, any big plans for the 4th of july? I have no plans and none of my friends have even asked about it, this used to be a big party weekend but I guess growing up and having kids is taking its toll :/

take care everyone and check in!

John

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

(*&^#@$ I just lost a huge post - lucky for you LOL.

I have been MIA, but thinking of all of you. I am home this morning waiting for the "cable guy".

Last week I experienced a lot of heart palpitations, so ended up going to see the Doc and he feels they are anxiety based, so I was laying low last week. I still have some, but not a lot.

BJ - I have 2 DD's and they are as different as night and day. Oldest DD had to have a job at 14 years old and couldn't sit still. DD#2, very laid back, would've been content staying at home on the internet, watching TV, etc. I think she is quite intelligent to verbalize that she doesn't want to grow up. It can be a very scary time in their life, to know that they will soon be out on their own and responsible for everything. Let's see what happens after her consultation with the film school - this may be all she needs to get herself excited about moving ahead. With all your connections, is there some way you can get her on an actual movie or tv set, just to observe? I agree with John, that you have a very high activity level and it would'nt be fair to your daughter to expect her to be the same. I know that you have provided a great foundation for all your children and that DD will come around when the time is right - I bet she is thinking about things a lot more than you realize.

No, I am not on my way to San Jose. Although we received a verbal invitation to the wedding, we never received a written one LOL. Both of DH's brothers didn't get one either, but his sister did. It really is for the best, as it would've been hard to get away at that time, but a side trip to see you would've been a blast. Glad you got the stones, I don't know why, but I needed to send them to you. I have to look up the meanings, maybe that will tell me why.

NH Suzanne - after reading your post, I more than ever want to get back to Acadia. It truly is one of the most beautiful places on earth. If it weren't for those winters - I might be living there.

QOD - No big 4th plans. DD's are coming home Friday night, but have to leave early on Monday, so we will probably have a BBQ on Sunday. Then me and DH will go view the fireworks, we are just a tree or 2 shy of seeing them from our house, but I refuse to cut the trees down LOL - my DH keeps praying for lightening to strike them.

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Hi again!

You guys are right; I do run my engine a little hot. I'll mellow out a tad on stressing goals and activities for the time being and see if that changes things. If nothing else, it'll lower MY stress-----lol!

Good point, John, about DH being unhappy. I'm driving to town today and taking the kids on the monrail in downtown Seattle to DH's office today. He's on a 26th floor so the view should be good! Plus, the kids haven't ridden on the monorail ever, so we can be tourists in our own town. We're having lunch with DH and he seems very happy about that. Thanks for the insight. I can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.

Glad the blood sugar is working along with the food choices. The docs gave my dad a new drug to stabilize his blood sugar (he is a Type II, low-key diabetic). I'll have to ask how that's working for him.

Raeanne~ Good ideas! I may call on some old friends and get her onto a movie shoot. Then she can see how LONG it takes and how BORING it is! Just kidding. It's fun and just the pizzaz of it may spark her. Meanwhile, the meeting with the film producer sounds more and more interesting. He runs the film festival here and has also produced quite a few 'shorts'. My 14 y.o. can't wait to drive, work, go to college, etc, so having a 17 y.o. with no driver's license or seemingly, motivation to get out into life, is mighty perplexing to me! I'll need to adjust to this!

My 4th of July is a blank slate. It's so chaotic here on the traffic scene and and none of the surrounding towns even allow SANE fireworks, so picnics are the order of the day. We'll probably spend the day with some close friends, eating watermelon -- the local store are literally GIVING watermelons away!

Raeanne~ I'm sad that you're not coming to the west coast---WHAT WILL IT TAKE? :)

No weight loss and no weight gain to report in the past week. With all the weeds I've pulled, you'd think the scale would have moved!

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

Hello all!!

BJ, I was thinking about you this weekend and decided to do something about it. You'll see in a day or two. Think you got some really good advice, and it appears that you've already considered most of it! Good Luck. My friend told me that when she graduated high school, she had zero motivation. She used to hang out in her room reading teen magazines. One day, her father came into her room and told her calmnly that she had one week to get into a college or get a job. After that, he was going to charge her rent or throw her out! She was 18, and got herself a job at the bank the next day!!!!

John, it's really great to see you posting again. Please stay with us and keep sharing.

Suzanne, it was wonderful to read about your adventures. Glad you had a nice time, I missed you here.

Raeanne, I was going to send you an e:mail to see what happened. Hope you are feeling less stressed soon. Boy, do I know all about that....I felt that way for most of 2003!! Now, I'm normal (right!) LOL

QOD: DH and I are invited down to my sisters on Friday to attend a Philadelphia Phillies game. We'll stay over and I'll help her begin the cooking/freezing food for DN's graduation party (on the 9th). Think DH and I will head home early Sunday morning, because the Jersey shore traffic is horrendous on any weekend in the summer. I have Monday and Tuesday off, but we have no plans to speak of...

Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Life Lesson for Women

A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day, drinking iced tea and visiting with her mother. As they talked about life, about marriage, about the responsibilities of life and the obligations of adulthood, the mother
    clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully and
    turned a clear, sober glance upon her daughter.

"Don't forget your girlfriends," she advised, swirling the
    tea-leaves to the bottom of her glass. "They'll be more important as you get older. No matter how much you love your husband, no matter how much you love the children you'll have, you are still going to need girlfriends. Remember to go places with them now and then; do things with them. And remember that 'girlfriends' are not only your friends - but your sisters, your daughters and other female relatives too. You'll need other women. Women always do."

"What a funny piece of advice," the young woman thought.
    "Didn't I just get married? Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a married woman, for goodness sake, a grown-up, not a young girl who needs girlfriends! Surely my husband and the family we'll start will be all I need to make my life worthwhile!"

But she listened to her mother; she kept contact with her
    girlfriends and befriended more each year. As the years rolled by, one after another, she gradually came to understand that her mum really knew what she was talking about. As time and nature work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman, girlfriends are the mainstays of her Life."

After 60-plus years of living in this world, here is what I've learned:

* Time passes

* Life happens

* Distance separates

* Children grow up

* Love waxes and wanes

* Hearts break

* Careers end

* Jobs come and go

* Parents die

* Colleagues forget favors

* Men don't call when they say they will.

* Spouses die

BUT girlfriends are there, no matter how much time and how
    many miles are between you. A girlfriend is never further away than needing her can reach. When you have to walk that lonesome valley - and you have to walk it for yourself - your girlfriends will be on the valley's edge,
    cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you,
    intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end.

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you. Or come in and carry you out.

Our daughters, sisters, mothers, sisters-in-law, mothers-in law, aunties, nieces, cousins, extended family and
    friends bless our lives!

The world wouldn't be the same without them, and neither would we.

When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead.
    Nor did we know how much we would need each other.
    Every day, we need each other still.

Pass this on to the women who help make your life
    work.

I just did............

Love ya all!

Maddie

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

I found this link on another forum, and immediately thought of NHSuzanne--and anyone else that loves critters--

Here is a link that might be useful: horses, beets and a squirrel

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Well, since I've done the last 2 posts, I'll guess I'll start talking to me since no one else is here--

So, self, how ya doin'??

Sa'right...

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

echo, echo, echo,,,,,

hello maddie, this is your echo!!!!!

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

My eating has been OK lately, but the scale told me otherwise this morning. I've decided to ignore the scale! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ah, if ONLY I could *literally* LMAO)

Hope everyone is OK. Check in and let us know, because it's really pathetic and humiliating when individuals resort to talking to themselves.

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

True, but Dee--at least that way I can win an argument!! LOL! :):) (My mom always said it's a good way to have an intelligent conversation also--)

So, who won the lottery, and why are Dee and I left here?

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Maddie & Dee - OOOH if I won the lottery, everyone here would know it, because we would all be celebrating together.

Dee- I have tried to LMAO and it doesn't work, but it is much more fun than the gym.

Gotta run, just wanted you two to look somewhat normal LOL.

• jprakia
    18 years ago

HI everyone,

I have something really important to tell you, but it will have to wait I have to get back to work.

See you all later :P

John

• besh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was going to let you all just keep talking to yourselves until I saw John's post. John, that is mean!!!! It reminds me of that joke "How do you keep an idiot in suspense? I'll tell you later"! I hope it is good news!

Love, Besh

PS - I am just waiting for my numbers to come up in the lottery and when they do.........there will be a big celebration with all of my SS friends!

• jprakia
    18 years ago

Aww Besh made me feel bad.. OK there isnt anything really important to tell you, I was indeed being a big meanie :)

The good news is that I told you know and not when I got back from my trip to Vermont in 4 days. My girlfriends aunt has a cabin that nobody is using this weekend (hard to believe eh?) so we are going to head up there and spend a few days.

We has some serious rain here, 2-4 inches in less than 90 mins. I slept right through it with the AC running, but I guess it caused a bit of flooding.

I hope everyone has a lovely 4th!

John

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Morning All,

John, you are a meanie! Have fun at the cabin. Where in VT? Is there kyacking for you? I was thinking of you and your kyacking. You should come out to Hancock. We have several really lovely places to kyack. Nubanusit, Spoonwood which is only accessible by canoe or kyack, Silver Lake, Norway Pond and Willard pond which is full of loons. Hancock is very remote and we also have all the wonderful trails for hikers at the Harris Wildlife Center land.

Raeanne,((((((HUGS))))))) I though of you the other morning. I was passing a pond on the way to work and the water was still and looked like glass. There was a little fog rising slightly above the water and there was also a loon. I could imagine you out there in your kyack visiting with the loon. You are one of the last people I would imagine having heart palpatations from anxiety. I hope it eases up for you. Get out on that water more and your yoga should help. Ommmmmmmmmm

BJ, you would love Acadia National Park it's gorgeous. We have a friend that is a funeral director. It's not an easy job, especially when a child is involved. I am curious about what inspired you to want to do this? My family gets together often. Any excuse for a party. Our annual events are spring planting at DFIL's farm, we plant all the annuals over the memorial day weekend and over labor day we have our annual clambake. Plus significant birthdays or events. This labor day weekend my DBIL is getting married to one of my favorite people. I am very happy for them. Why do you ask?

Maddie, I love the squirrel and beet pulp story!! Too funny. I sent it to our editor to see if we can reprint it in a column we have each month called The Last Laugh. What a life that women has! Thanks for sharing.

DeeMarie, I wish I could LMAO too. It would be much more fun than the gym!

We have alot of MIA's here. Tikanis,Gretchen, Patty, Jen, Amy,Lynn, Marci, I know there is more but it's early!! Come over and say hello all of you..............

Speaking of anxiety, it's drop dead day and I am still missing ad, etc. I hate this but somehow it usually works out. If nothing drops out on me I will have made my goal this month! How unusual and vacation too!

My head is still back in Acadia as I have not gotten over the beauty. My pictures did not come out too well. It's hard to drive and shoot. I am going to find a website that has some photos so that you all can get an idea of what I am talking about. Words just can not describe sometimes.

How do you spell kyack?????????? Sorry if it's wrong.

QOD: I am going to a friends house on Saturday morning for ridig and a sleep over...hags with nags. She has just moved into a new house and wants to show it off. The horses have pasture and it will be nice. Plus it will be fun to do different trails and Peterborough has less bugs than we do!! It's amazing but we have lots more water and it makes a huge difference. I am planning a cookout with DH and whoever on Sunday. It will be low key as we have lots of work to do on the property. Monday we will take it easy. It's going to be really nice to have a three day weekend after deadline!

I will check in later.

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

This site shows a few nice photos of Acadia. Enough so you get the idea of how beautiful it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carriage Roads of Acadia

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Good morning!

Ya'll, if I won the lottery, we'd rent an island resort somewhere and stay there until I ran outta of money, or we all shriveled up from the hot tub, and blew away! LOL !!

NHSuzanne--isn't that a riot? I love her style of writing! :)

Beege--ummm... crabby men? Hmmmm... do **I** have any experience with that?? Me thinks I do, which is why I got the greatest crab cracker from Williams Sonoma, and when I can not take hubster any longer, I will get it out and put on his side of the bed, or on his plate. Anywhere that he can see it. (I'd add a tub of melted butter, but it would get toooo messy! LOL!) Seriously, I think he's kinda jealous--it's h3ll going to a place you detest when your mate is supremely happy were they work--and do tell us the gory details about being a funeral director--a friend of mine from college is in the family of a huge chain of funeral homes here. He would entertain us during class with tales of growing up among funeral homes, and he saw his first autopsy at 12. He was a riot--

John--pbbbbbbt! Although, I think it sounds lovely-a cabin in VT. I've never had the pleasure of visiting New England, I can only imagine the beauty--

QOD--we're doing a show this weekend, and then we;re going to MILs on Monday. Nothing exciting--:(

Hope all is well!

Hugs,

Maddie

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

Where are the MIAs, indeed! Check in, even if it's just to say "hi" and tell us what you'll be doing for the 4th.

I'm sitting here trying to avoid my latest project---making a flow chart of what I do. Can you imagine? I wrote it out, but having to put it into boxes and decisions and little type and condensing the tasks and blah blah blah blah blah blah.....I'm avoiding it like a rash on my .....hiney!!! (whatever THAT means).

OK, it's definitely time for me to stop talking to myself.

Raeanne, I wish you would call me right now and ask me to meet you on Route 17 for coffee, because I'd be outta here in a flash.

laters.................

• besh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good Morning:

Raeanne (((((HUGS)))). I'm sorry I didn't send them sooner. I hope you are feeling better. I remember you telling me when I was having some palpitations that you had them before and it didn't last long. I hope all goes well. It is a little unnerving when it happens.

Suzanne the pictures of Arcadia are beautiful. I can see why your head is still there. I'm so glad that you had a good trip. Only because you asked.....kayak. (That is the librarian in me.)

John, you are a tease. A cabin in Vermont on July 4th weekend, all alone with your signifcant other? Does it get any better than that?

Maddie, I love the crab crackers! I have someone that has earned a pair of those this week! He sleeps right next to me.

BJ, I have to agree with everyone else that DH is a little envious of you loving your job. The good news is that his is only temporary for the summer right? At least there is an end in sight and he can continue on with his education and goal of landing his dream job. My 2c on your daughters situation is this. Right now I'm sure she is overwhelmed with the idea of even having to make any major life decisions right now. Up until this point, she has just been a kid, going to school, doing her thing. Suddenly she has to make some adult decisions and just does not feel ready, probably alot in denial. I think you are doing a great service to her by exposing her to the field that she is interested in. Sometimes all it takes is that little spark to get things moving. If she still can't make up her mind, have her enroll in a community college for the first semester or even year and let her think about what she wants to do. Some of my DS friends went away to college and were back after the first semester attending Salem State because they found that being away was not for them. Others couldn't wait to leave and only came back for breaks, etc. At least she is honest at 17 and not afraid to admit that she is not ready to grow up and take the next step. Good luck.

Dee, I think avoiding the rash on your hiney is a smart move! Get back to work. LOL

I am officially down 20# on WW. Tomorrow is weigh day and I have had a glass of wine every night since school got out. I hope the scale doesn't punish me for celebrating!

I am going out to do some yard work while it is cool out. It has been so humid lately. My mother says "it is like being inside a dogs mouth". Isn't that gross? But it is just what it feels like.

Love, Besh

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Besh!!!!! 20 big ones!!!! Good for you. You must feel so good about yourself. One glass of wine can't hurt each night...........
    HUGS to you.

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

I found more great pictures of the carriage roads to share. Sorry, you can tell I am in between ads waiting, waiting.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Carriage Roads of Acadia

• marci_pa
    18 years ago

Hi! I am here, just not on the computer all that much.

QOD - DS AND DD are coming home for the holiday. Yipee!! We are having a birthday lunch for my DH, DBIL and DB on Sunday. DS and DD are both leaving to head back on the 4th and DH has to work. I am looking forward to seeing both my kids at the same time!

BJ - The reunion is July 30th and we have most of the preparations under way. The "committee" consists of cousins that live in the area. We have divided up the responsibilities and things seem to be running smoothly. We have rented a community center with a pool to entertain the kids, are putting together a photo video, a family tree and a memory board. It should be fun.
    And I have to add my 2cents about DD. I think you need to reach a comprimise with her. Somewhere in between your high activity level and her low one, there exists a happy medium. Give her some time and space to do whatever she wants on certain days and on other days expect her to join in the family activities. You may have to light a fire under her as far as choosing colleges and it sounds like you are doing that already. Ask her to list what her criteria are for choosing a school and sit down one afternoon with her and pick 4 or 5 she might like to vist. Then help her plan visits when the colleges have orientations for prospective students. Maybe the overall process is overwhelming her. But if you break it down into manageable tasks, it may be easier for her to tackle.

Raeanne - Are you feeling better? I have never had heart palpitations. What do they feel like? I have had anxiety attacks, usually when I am driving in bumper to bumper high speed traffic. The older I get, the worse they get.

Besh - Wine is good for the heart and the soul! I love a nice glass of wine with some aged cheese and fruit. It won't replace cake, lol, but it makes a nice after dinner treat. You are doing so good on WW. You must have found the food plan that clicked. WTG!!

NHSuzanne - We camped in Acadia National Park when I was a youngster. I remember going to Mt. Marcy (I spelled my name with a "Y" when I was yonger) somewhere in Maine. My namesake mountain! And I remember a beach that was crushed shells or something hard on the feet. And I remember something about Thunder Hole. Does any of that sound familiar or is my imagination playing tricks on me. I was probably too young to appreciate the beauty of the park. Thanks for the links.

Maddie - Where do you do your shows? Is there a standing event that you go to on weekends or do you travel around?

DeeMarie - I went to Half Price Books this week and picked up Eleven on Top. It just came out last week and someone had already read it and traded it in. I love that store. Did you get my email? I mailed the books on Monday

My CD player in my car quit working and I am heading out to buy a new one. It seems like stuff is breaking every time I turn around!

Later,
    Marci

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Marci - A palpitation is when your heart skips a beat and the next beat is felt harder making you aware of it. I didn't have any the last couple of days, but did have one today. Yes, Marci, I remember Thunderhole too - I believe that is on Desert Island or something like that - I will have to look it up. I just made a small pot of sauce, DD's are heading home tomorrow.

John - Have a great time in VT.

NH Suzanne - I know I seem so calm and collective and most of the time I am. But once in a while I become very overwhelmed by all that is happening around me and my body has a bad reaction to it. I usually listen to my body and can prevent it from happening, but lately I have had a hard time saying NO to anyone and have been biting off more than I can chew. Since I have been kayaking I haven't been meditating, I guess I will have to take turns.

Dee - If I were near Route 17 I would love nothing more than to meet you at a Joysey diner.

Besh - you are amazing! and I would say that a glass of wine is medicinal. I will keep my fingers crossed that there is no gain from it.

Maddie - I could've used that Crab Cracker yesterday, DH was very crabby. He was so grouchy that I decided to clean the bathrooms at 9PM, so I didn't have to listen to him LOL - I was desperate.

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Friday Morning, Rabbit, Rabbit!!!

Okay you MIA's, check in here today front and center and let us know what you are up to and that you are okay.

• jen823
    18 years ago

Good Morning!!!

ONE MIA checking in! Things are way to busy here. Hopefully this weekend I can take some pics of the girls and send out.

Maddie, Are you lacking rain too? It's getting serious around here. My yard has turned brown. Oh well, that's one more thing I Don't have to do.

QOD, Nothing. I hope!!!! Bible school is the week of July 11th and I am so not prepared. I need to get my butt in gear.

I just found out my best friend is a habitual liar. Needless to say, we are no longer friends. She has been cheating on her hubby, out party'ing, and so on. Her new group of friends leaves something to be desired. She has went from a size 12 to a 0. I have tried to help her, but there is nothing more I can do. For my stomach's sake I have had to pull away. I have known her hubby and his family all my life, his uncle is my boss, it is such a mess. I really think she believes all the lies she has made up. The worst thing is she is moving with her kids across the road from me. I hate it but what can I do? Anyway, this is the main reason I haven't been posting. My heart is broke for her hubby and kids. Her youngest is Erica's best friend. Talk about a tangled web. Sorry to Vent. I am at a loss!

Hope everyone has a great 4th.

Jen

• besh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jen, it is great to hear from you. I think you are smart to pull away, even though I'm sure it has been difficult for you to do so. It is hard to lose a best friend. I hope that you and the girls are doing well and enjoy your free weekend!

Well I weighed in and lost 1/2#! That makes it an official 21# down. I guess the wine didn't ruin it completely, but I will be more careful this week.

Raeanne, that book you suggested I read really works. DH just called me to tell me a customer that has owed him a decent amount of $$ for over 2 years called him and said she was mailing a check today. Can you believe it? I guess I believe it too!

QOD: Saturday night, party at a friends house. Cookout at my brothers on Sunday night and then we walk to the best fireworks display around here. Monday DS future in laws and some friends are coming for a cookout. Party!

Love, Besh

• Tikanas2
    18 years ago

Hi All! Another MIA checking in. Everyone sounds so busy!
    Me too, up to my eyeballs in work.

Jen, I am so sorry to hear about the situation with your friend.

QOD: We have a parade here in town on the fourth followed by a big BBQ at the park. No local fireworks here and I don't know if we'll go search for some elsewhere. I have a LOT of gardening to do this weekend. I have really let it go!

Back later to catch up on all the posts.

Tikanas

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Hello, hello....

Just hit the side of my mouse and lost my post! DURN!

Back later! Gotta work today!

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

I gota read, catch up again, and post. Sunday, yes, Sunday.

Quick note: Done for the day. Got to drive my first funeral procession today. REAL FUN! The state troopers were so NICE! What will tomorrow bring?

Back Sunday!

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Hello, Sunday!

No work today, so LAUNDRY and CLEANING took first place! It actually was a pretty productive weekend; the older girls went to Idaho to an amusement park there. Bet they're enjoying the HEAT!

Happy 4th! The younger girls and I are going to a hay ride and DH has to work. :( But we'll get together later in the evening for some of the city's fireworks display!

BE SAFE!

• jprakia
    18 years ago

Boom Bang! awwww hope you enjoyed the fire works!

Happy 4th!

John

• marci_pa
    18 years ago
  • Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Enjoy the day and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HEALTHY!

Cheers!

Sponsored