Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi ! And what's for dinner?

Posted by Mush (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 04 at 22:13

Hi everyone! I've posted a few times here, but I've never really introduced myself. I started a low carb eating plan four weeks ago. I have done well I think. So far I've lost 15 lbs. Things are starting to slow down though. I've decided to weigh in only once a week now, so I don't get too discouraged. I would really like to take off another 20 lbs.
If anyone is willing to share what they are eating for dinner each day, I would really appreciate it. I am getting tired of the same things all the time and could use some fresh ideas. Tonight I had 2 chicken kabobs with chicken, mushrooms and onion wedges. I had some fresh green beans on the side and diet jello for afters. Most nights it's a salad and grilled meat (chicken, steak, pork) I usually have Tuna or Salmon for lunch with cheese and some berries.
Breakfast is eggs most mornings and sometimes some bacon.
Friday will be a test. At work in the nice weather we quite often BarBQ. This week is hamburgers! I have already told them I only want the meat, but those fresh soft buns are really going to test me! Maybe I'll make a big salad to share so my plate won't seem so empty.
It's great to come here and share the ups and downs with all of you. I look forward to reading each evening.

Mush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi ! And what's for dinner?

Hi, Mush! 15 pounds!! That's fantastic! You should be very pleased with your success thus far.

Yesterday I started on the South Beach diet, but have also done Atkins in the past. The low carb way of eating is really the best for me and I look forward to participating in this forum to help provide support for each other.

After my dinner of baked chicken breast and roasted vegetables leftover from the weekend, I enjoyed my half cup of non-fat yogurt flavored with some Splenda and vanilla. It really tasted good and I look forward to having berries with my yogurt in a few weeks. For lunch I fixed some tuna salad that has cottage cheese, celery, onion, and just a dollop of mayo. The cottage cheese makes the tuna salad so creamy. I add lemon pepper seasoning to the tuna also.

I think you are wise to plan on a salad when you cook burgers at work. What about wrapping a Vidalia onion in foil and putting it on the grill also. I do those by cutting out a wedge in the top and adding a bit of butter, thyme, salt and pepper, then wrapping in foil and grilling over hot coals until soft. They're really good that way - you might want to do some extras for your co-workers to try. You could add a slice of cheese to your burger, some mustard and a few dill pickles.

Hang in there!
Teresa

ps - after watching Sense and Sensibility on TV tonight, I think my writing sounds so formal and stilted - lol! But I love those Jane Austen movies.

o

Hi Mush! I am doing WW but basically at the same point as you are - 21 pounds down and about 15 to go. I stall a lot....I need to change / shake up my routine now as my body nows finds all this the norm...I just purchased a stepping machine for home (putting in a daily stroll outside would do the same) - I want to get moving when watching TV and not sit. My 'routine' needs to be changed to get my body burning calories again and get my metabolism back into action. Glad to hear of your success and TOTALLY understand where you are at now. Don't despair what ever you do - stick with it. I too enjoy reading all the posts - they motivate me a great deal.
Welcome! Do post often and we will chat. The more we talk to each other the better our chances of reaching our goals!!
Cheers,
McPeg

o

I had salmon cakes last night.
The best thing I do when getting bored is drag out a cookbook or try new seasonings on what you are already eating. I like curry, It's a dilly (by McCormick), cajun seasoning on chicken (not all at the same time!). Rotate your cooked and fresh veggies too I love salads but after about 3 days of them I can't look at them anymore.. Kathy

o

Hi y'all,

Boy, have I had a couple of bad days!! Spent most of Monday night helping SO's son with a project so no time to cook the guys wanted to run by Sonic and grab something. I thought the grilled chicken wrap would be the lesser of all the evils and it tasted really good. Then, yesterday morning, I was running late and didn't have time to fix my scrambled eggs, so I stopped by Sonic and picked up another wrap for breakfast. Got to work and decided to check the nutritional value.....40 grams of carbs!! I was crushed, I'd eaten over 80 grams of carbs in less than 24 hours. I don't know if it was physical or psychological, but I got really hungry yesterday afternoon and by evening, I felt lousy -- couldn't quite figure out why, I just know I didn't feel good.

Mush -- Congratulations on your progress!! Until my problems this week, your diet sounds very similar to mine, but I'm only a couple of weeks into it. I'm not eating fruit or yogurt yet, but will probably be adding some berries before long. I can really identify with the party/food days at work. We're having one tomorrow (where everybody brings in junk and we graze all day) and I know somebody's going to bring these killer donuts that I have trouble resisting -- there will probably be cookies, too. And, of course, everything will be located just across the hall from my office!! Anyway, good luck with the BBQ!!

Janet

o

Today was a good day and dinner was on target too: second piece of baked chicken breast from last night and some brussels sprouts. Had a really good salad for lunch with veggies, ham, cheese and Ken's Ceasar Dressing - 2 TB.

I think I like cooking 2 pieces of meat at the same time and having the second one the next day. Since I just cook for one most of the time, it will save having to cook from scratch two nights in a row. Any more than just 2 meals and I would get tired of having leftovers.

I have a friend who is starting Phase 2 of SB so I may make some whole wheat bread for her this weekend to thank her for inspiring me. She is a lot younger than I am, had her second baby 10 weeks ago and is now into her pre-pregnancy clothes. She lost 5 lbs. on Phase 1 of SB and is very pleased. We share our meal planning, questions about SB, recipes, and motivate each other. It's nice to have a diet buddy at work.

o

Hi, Teresa -
I'm curious about how you make the tuna salad with cottage cheese. To a 6-oz can of tuna, about how much cottage cheese would you use? How do you get the lumps out?

Thanks!
Erica

o

Erica,
Here is the recipe for my Home on the Range Tuna Salad:

1 7oz. can tuna in water, drained
1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
2 hardboiled eggs, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 TB parsley
1 t. lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 t. seasoned salt like Lawry's or celery salt
1/4 cup mayonnaise

Combine all well. Use as a salad or sandwich filling. Stores 1 week in the fridge. Makes 4 servings.

I use the small curd cottage cheese, usually Breakstone brand. There are still some small curds of cottage cheese visible, but this makes a very creamy tuna salad without so much mayonnaise. I guess you could puree or blend the cottage cheese if you don't care for the sight of the curds. You can even use less mayo - I don't measure anymore, just put in a dollop. I skip the fresh parsley unless I have it on hand. The lemon pepper seasoning is crucial.

Teresa

o

Teresa - Thanks, sounds good. :)
Erica

o

We're having beanless chili (low carb, a Fat Flush recipe). DH even prefers it now to the bean chili!

3 lbs ground beef
Cook until crumbly, then add:
2 Finely chopped Onions
2-4 Jalapeno peppers (minced)
2-4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 can diced tomatoes (w/juice)
1 small can tomato sauce
a bit of water (maybe 1/2 cup?)
1 T cumin
2 T oregano
cayenne

cook for an hour or more

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here