Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me lose weight...I am frustrated

Posted by callmerae (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 20:34

I am 36 years old...have the most amazing level of stress out there...can't sleep at night...just got my bloodwork done and waiting for results. I do weight training 30-35 min. 5 days a week...one body part each day..I am 5'2" and 163lb!!!!!!!! I want to be 110 again...even 120! for breakfast I eat a bowl of oatmeal, or 1% cottage cheese (about a cup) and 1/2 cup of pineapple tidbits....if I am to snack before lunch I eat an apple...at lunch I have chicken breast or chicken with salad, no snack and then for supper I have a meat (chicken or roast or hamburger-usually chicken though), salad with dressing and sometimes wild rice...I really don't do cardio but think I will start there for 30 min. on a treadmill each night.......why am I not losing? ps. I started at the gym 5 days per week since dec...not one pound!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me lose weight...I am frustrated

Don't give up! If you're having your period (i'm sorry if you're male, i don't want to offend) you might just be carrying water. How long have you been doing this? if it's been a while (over two months, average weight loss happens after two months) you might want to invest in a nutritionist, they're pricy, but if you care enough about your weight to go through this regiment for so long... well, it will be worth it. I hope you get where you want to!

o

I'm no expert (in fact - I'm having trouble losing too) but, my suggestion would be for you to get a calorie/carb counter and write down everything you eat in a day and tally the total calories and carbs. I'd say to try to stay in the 1200 calories a day range. Portion control is key so maybe start measuring/weighing your portions - you may be eating more than you think. I read that one meat serving should be about the size of a deck of cards! Yikes, that isn't very big and most chicken breasts and hamburgers are twice that size, so be careful. Also, where starches are concerned, try eating whole grains (i.e., substitute brown rice for wild rice.) Finally, definitely add an aerobic workout to your routine and drink lots of water.

I hate that there aren't any miracle pills or diets, but it sounds like you are dedicated to a solid program and maybe with a little modification, the weight will start to fall off. If you want even more structure, try Weight Watchers - I know many people that have had success with their "points" program. Good Luck and keep us posted.

o
RE: One more thing...

You said you have a lot of stress. Recently, I tried Relacore - it is supposed to get rid of "stubborn belly fat" by reducing the stress hormone call Cortisol. Basically, Relacore is a ton of the B vitamins with some herbal stuff mixed in. I haven't noticed that it makes me lose weight, but it really calms my nerves. That is due to the B vitamins. If you don't want to shell out the $$ for Relacore, just go get a good brand of "B complex" vitamins and take them daily. Also, for sleeeping - try taking a calcium supplement each night before bed (it is supposed to relax you.) I don't take alot of vitamins, but I have noticed that the combination of B and Calcium does make a difference in the way I feel.

o

where do you get relacore? prescription?

o

I suggest joining Weight Watchers. I love it and having to account for your food helps alot, the weekly meetings and weigh ins are good to. I have fun at mine and we talk about stress eating they also adress other issues nothing is off limits. Come over to our WW's Support thread and read how we are all doing, ups and downs included:)

o

You are under-eating for the level of activity you describe. Your body won't let go of the pounds if it thinks you're starving it. I agree Weight Watchers would be an excellent start to learn about good nutrition and safe weight loss.

There is much more to life besides broiled meat and salad. At 36 and 5'2" you may find you look a lot better at a higher weight than 110 or 120. Strive for a healthy weight. What you weighed in high school may not be a good weight for you today.

o

Callmerae,

Is it possible that you are adding a lot of muscle?

Once I started using a cross country ski machine and I lost lots of inches before I lost any pounds.

I also agree that Weight Watchers would be good.

o

I feel for you, you sound like your doing a lot of right things, but I do agree that you should start the cardio. I am 44 and found that a combination of cardio and strength training really help to keep the metabolism up, plus its good for the joints. As for your eating, you eat better than I do when it comes to balancing food groups. What can I say I am a cottage cheese junkie and thats my protein staple.

o

You're not losing weight because strength training doesn't burn calories. Do more cardio & use a nutrition tracking program to monitor your calorie intake & expenditure. I've lost 31 pounds using a nutrition tracker (DietPower).

Article from NY Times last summer:
Copyright New York Times Company Jul 21, 2005
BARBARA WOODWORTH, 35, a social worker in Seattle, wanted to drop 40 pounds. Alisa Rivera, 39, a college adviser at the University of California, Los Angeles, also wanted to lose weight. She also wanted to build long, lean muscle. So the two women routinely began to lift weights. But like many of the other 36 million women nationwide who each year pick up dumbbells hoping to lose pounds or develop a sculptured body, both Ms. Woodworth and Ms. Rivera ended up disappointed because the strategy is not as simple -- or as effective -- as it sounds.

Personal trainers, fitness instructors, magazines and books have sold a double-barreled promise that any strength training builds muscle and that having more muscle dramatically speeds metabolism, increasing the calories a person burns while at rest. With all that extra calorie burning, the story goes, excess weight comes off effortlessly.

The story is wrong in two ways, researchers say. First, muscle is not such an amazing calorie burner. ''Even if weight training increases muscle and metabolism, there is little evidence showing that it is enough to cause weight loss,'' said Joseph Donnelly, the director of the Energy Balance Laboratory at the University of Kansas, who has extensively reviewed studies on the link between resistance training and weight loss.

And second, many who try weight training -- especially women -- fail to do what it actually takes to build more muscle. They lift too light a weight, or they neglect to progress to heavier weights as they grow stronger. And often, women who take up weight lifting also diet. In fact, it is nearly impossible to increase muscle while cutting calories.

Regular resistance training, done correctly, has many benefits. It can prevent some of the muscle loss that occurs with weight loss. It can also lower body fat levels and even help preserve bone mass. But the idea that it can magically increase calorie-burning is ''a very big stretch,'' said Edward Melanson, an assistant professor in the division of endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver. Claims that resistance training can send metabolism skyrocketing are easy to find. A Google search using the terms ''metabolism'' and ''weights'' produces thousands of Web sites, many of which say that anyone can lose weight and build muscle through strength training, even doing routines that aren't particularly strenuous.

Books like Kathy Smith's ''Lift Weights to Lose Weight'' also perpetuate the myth that building muscle supercharges metabolism and quickly leads to weight loss. In ''Smart Girls Do Dumbbells,'' Judith Sherman-Wolin claims that resistance-training can ''melt away those stubborn pounds you've been trying to lose all your life.'' And Jorge Cruise's best seller, ''8 Minutes in the Morning,'' advises readers to forget aerobics or grueling workouts because doing his two strength-building exercises a day ''will help you firm up five pounds of lean muscle within the first few weeks, allowing your body to burn an extra 250 calories per day.'' Ms. Woodworth of Seattle said, ''Practically every fitness book and magazine I ever read said strength training boosts metabolism so you lose weight easier and faster.''

Before taking up weight lifting, she had already lost 15 pounds in about three months by cutting calories and walking and running for an hour three times a week. With 40 pounds still to shed, she turned to what she had heard was the magic bullet.

Her trainer advised her to lift four times a week, cut her cardiovascular exercise to less than 30 minutes but still keep dieting. After six weeks, she was frustrated to find she had gained two pounds. That added weight probably wasn't muscle. Decreasing her high-calorie-burning walks and runs was the more likely culprit. Lifting weights burns few calories -- ''at least the way the average nonathlete does it and certainly the way most women tend to do it, using relatively low weights and few sets,'' Dr. Donnelly said. The same time spent an aerobic workout could double the calorie burn.

Once Ms. Woodworth increased her time on cardio, she lost the added weight.

Proponents of the theory that weight lifting leads to weight loss argue that it is the long-term effect of gaining more muscle, which burns more calories at rest, that causes weight loss. Still, that has never been proven in studies.

Studies show that even women who do what it takes to get stronger develop only two to four pounds of muscle after six months of progressive lifting. Given that one pound of muscle burns between 7 to 13 calories a day (as determined by studies that measured oxygen and blood flow to tissues), that means the average boost in metabolism is only 14 to 52 calories a day, said Dympna Gallagher, the director of the body composition unit at the New York Obesity Research Center in Manhattan.

The effect of weight lifting ''on metabolism is minor and certainly not the savior of dieters,'' said William Kraemer, a professor of physiology and neurobiology at the University of Connecticut.

A recent yearlong study of 59 sedentary women at the University of Pittsburgh demonstrated what little difference weight training can make in weight loss. About a third of the women lifted weights three times a week, another third did yoga three times a week, and the last third did neither. All the women followed a daily diet of 1,200 to 1,500 calories for the entire year and walked five days a week. In the end, those who had lifted weights or practiced yoga lost as much weight and fat -- but no more -- than those who only dieted and walked.

Surprisingly, many of the women became no stronger. ''We were looking at whether women would stick to the routine, and if so, would they resistance train intensely enough,'' explained Kara Gallagher, the lead researcher. ''It appears that many did not.''

When people lift light weights and fail to progressively increase the load, they only increase endurance, Dr. Kraemer said.

After turning ''doughy,'' Ms. Rivera of Los Angeles followed a few workouts using five-pound weights that she'd seen in Glamour and Shape magazines. ''After three months the scale hadn't budged,'' she said. ''I didn't see much of a difference in muscle tone.''

Eventually she realized that light weights were not enough. ''When I progressed from a five-pound dumbbell and began to lift heavier, my arms and butt got firmer within three weeks, although I still did not lose weight,'' she said.

For those looking to build a more sculptured body, dieting may be counterproductive. ''To create new muscle tissue you need to eat enough, not cut calories, to fuel the process,'' said Karen Reznik Dolins, the director of nutrition at Altheus, a sports center in Rye, N.Y., and a nutrition adviser to the New York Knicks.

Genetics can also help determine the impact that weight lifting can have on muscle development and metabolism.

Researchers at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst looked at almost 600 men and women who did a strenuous, progressive resistance routine for three months, according to a study in this month's Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Three percent were ''high responders,'' some of whom doubled their strength. One percent were ''low responders,'' who became only 1 percent stronger than they were when they started. The majority of men and women increased muscle size 15 to 25 percent; and most men improved their muscle strength 40 percent while women increased theirs 65 percent.

Shannan Catlett, a fashion sales executive in Manhattan, said lifting heavy weights helped tone her slimmer body. After she lost 50 pounds by using the elliptical machine and treadmill and by following a healthier diet, she improved her muscle definition with weights.

''I never lost weight from strength training, but my butt got smaller and I got stronger and firmer all over,'' Ms. Catlett, 41, said. ''I still have to make sure that I'm always fit in regular cardio to maintain my weight.''

Building a Workout To Meet Your GoalsTailor strength and cardiovascular workouts to your goals.

TO BUILD MUSCLE

1. Work to fatigue. Weight should be heavy enough so muscle is fatigued after 6 to 15 repetitions.2. Add weight progressively. Start with one set, one to three times a week, with a weight that tires the muscle after 8 to 15 reps. Once that gets easier -- usually in two to four weeks -- work up to three sets. Then increase weight slightly and go back to one set, working up to three.
3. Include heavier weights. Once a week, hoist a weight heavy enough to fatigue you after three to five reps. Do two sets.
4. Fuel workouts. Before a strenuous session, Karen Reznik Dolins, an adjunct professor of sports nutrition at Columbia, suggested eating carbohydrates, and within an hour after, carbohydrates and protein.

TO LOSE WEIGHT

1. Focus on cardiovascular exercise. Do workouts like running or aerobics five or more days a week, for at least 45 minutes, but also include weight lifting one to three times a week, said Joseph Donnelly, the director of the Energy Balance Laboratory at the University of Kansas.2. Be active throughout day. If you sit at a desk, get up and walk around for five minutes every hour.
3. Eat regularly. Pace meals and snacks every three to four hours for the right amount of calories when the body needs them, Ms. Dolins said. MARTICA HEANER

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on nutrition trackers

o

Callmerae
Well since you are 36 your calories will not burn as easily so you need to assist your metabolism buy working your core (your abs). I highly recommend doing Pilates (its very relaxing and you will not even realize your excersing) since that will burn fat and give you slender muscles while working your core. If you wieght lift you are gaining bulky muscle.
Maybe you should change your breakfast choice also. Personally when I eat oatmeal or malt-o- meal often I gain weight since there is too many carbs for my body in it. The other breakfast sounds like a good choice, but make sure your not staving your body so once it gets food it thinks it has to store it all as fat because it may not see food for along time again.
Make sure you are drinking your 8 glasses of water every day and remember the rule, if you are drinking pop or coffee or anything else with caffeine in it you need to add an additional 2 glasses of water per day to your 8 for every once cup of caffeine you drink.
You dont need to exercise more thats for sure, just different. Little extra info for you too is if you eat within 20 mins of working out you burn more fat. You may want to ride the bike for about 3 miles or walk the treadmill for your cardio then go into your Pilates and your crunches you will see results faster. You probably already do it but stay on a routine on exercising.
Good luck and keep us informed :)

o

Please do not waste your money on things like Relacore and all the other stuff out there...They are all just gimmicks...you will notice that they all add in the fine print that diet and exercise is an important part of the program...what they don't tell you is that you can flush the Relacore and like products and tend to diet and exercise and the weight will come off...

Take the advice to do some cardio about 3 times per week and you will see the weight come off...another big fan of Weight Watchers here...It's the only real program to help you live a like of being slim.

o

How about an update...are you doing any better?

o

still nothing...I added 25 min of treadmill to my routine..but was away on holidays last week...I really like the one article someone posted...everything I read talked about the muscle burning fat but agree cardio is key...will let you know after a couple more weeks of doing that!

o

Have you tested your Thyroid?
Stress is a big factor regarding weight. Stress produces cortisol which tells your body to hold on to fat. Also, you may not be eating frequently enough or enough calories. You should never go below 1200-1500 calories a day.
Donna

o

So keep us posted...You know I have only lost 21 pounds but my waist is down 8 inches...It amazes me to realize that my belly isn't preceeding me everywhere I go...but anyway...I know the reason is the exercise...I do cardio and weights...it's working...I wish the weight would pour off but obviously that's not going to happen...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here