Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie - What am I doing wrong?

Posted by konfusedkat (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 15:29

I usually hang out on the home forums, but I'm so frustrated with my inability to lose weight I've come here for some help. I am 5'3 and weigh 135.5 lbs. Anyway, I'd love to lose about 8-10 lbs. and tone up a bit.

Three weeks ago I started exercising (45 min./day - 5 days a week) and really cut back on my calories and carbs. I stopped drinking alcohol and began drinking lots of water. The first week I lost about 2.5 lbs. which was encouraging but, since then I've gained back 1 lb. and I haven't cheated. I'm just so depressed and angry because my body won't do what I want it to!

I haven't exercised consistently in years and several people have given me the "muscle weighs more than fat and maybe your gaining muscle" advice. However, my exercise is 90% aerobic (not weight training) and I still think I should have lost at least a few more pounds. Plus, I don't think I've lost any inches either. I guess I just need to vent. Also, I've been taking Relacore (for that "stubborn belly fat") and it doesn't seem to do anything much.

After I had my second child, I lost about 11 lbs. on Nutrisystem, but it took forever and cost a fortune. I'm just ready to throw in the towel. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie - What am I doing wrong?

Hi

I would love to offer some help but check out the Shangri La diet post as I posted there about my experience with the plan. It may be just what you are looking for. Just a suggestion. I too was very frustrated and after trying so many diets was ready to say to hell with it!!! I saw Seth Roberts on a news program and thought what the heck!! Check it out and sse what you think. It is very doable and cheap so you won't break the bank.

I am trying to tell anyone who will listen about it because I know about my own struggles with weight.

Maybe this guy finally figured it out. I wish you the best of luck and let me know how it works for you.

Cheers, Monicka

o

Definatly the Shangri La diet. It's supposed to work miracles! but a little information for you, you won't typacly seeing results in the mirror for two months, but after two months you'll see a big difference! you'll start feeling your new muscle in about two more weeks. That's of course on average. Don't worry, we're all in the same big fat tug boat! :) and excuse me, you're a mother of two and you have time to work out? PROPS TO YOU MY FRIEND! By the way, if you're looking to tone up, try pilaties. 1/2 hr three times a week on tape. I'm sure you'll get where you want to be soon! good luck!

o

As crazy as it sounds, you may not be eating enough to sustain your new exercise habit. Your body needs enough energy to function and if you "really cut back on my calories..." you may be causing more harm. If your body is not getting enough calories, it will hold on to everything it takes in and you won't lose weight. Try adding in some "good" calories and you may be suprised next week.
Good luck.

o

I'm 5'3, am 135 and lost 30+ lbs on LC. I've maintained this for 2.5 years, and "occasionally" get down to 131 or so.

Have consulted with docs, and they say what's left is skin, and the only way to get rid of it is to go under the knife. These were not nip/tuck guys, they were my mother's docs that I just asked as I had to take her to all these appointments.

I finally consulted with a 'nip/tuck' guy, he said the same thing. Scary and expensive, but still considering.

o

2.5 pounds in three weeks is not a bad weight loss...the thing to consider is that most diet plans encourage you to set a goal of about 1 pound per week...there are lots of reasons for this but I believe the real truth is that it takes awhile to learn a program and to get on the path of healthy eating so getting there is part of the learning. Honestly I believe that it doesn't matter what plan you are on as long as you stick to it...It has to be a lifetime thing...I think that there is none better than Weight Watchers and I follow it but have tweaked it just a bit...I eat the allowed carbs but they have to be low glycemic and I don't do any sugar and try to stay away from any bread or grain that is white....Sounds to me like you have a good healthy start so just keep it up and I'll bet soon you do see a change...Congrats on the hard work...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here