Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did you eat today?

Posted by silversword (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 23:44

I know this could be awful, but I'm curious what people eat during the day...perhaps if we are honest with one another we will be encouraged/motivated to eat better?

I'll start.

Today I had:

Breakfast: Three cups of coffee, Malt O'Meal with a splash of vanilla soy milk, a banana, and a spoonful of sugar.

Snack: Six medium strawberries and a serving of smoked Gouda cheese.

Lunch: Protein shake with a half a square of tofu blended in (I was in a hurry!)

Dinner: 3/4 cup black beans, 3/4 cup brown rice, salad with spinich, carrot, tomato, green bean, feta cheese and balsalmic vinegar/olive oil dressing.

After Dinner: Jigger of vodka on the rocks (and possibly popcorn as a before-bed snack... I'm not quite there yet!)

I've actually been satisfied all day, except when I got home from my hike I was famished. My 7 year old did 3.5 miles with me today in 1:15. And our hike is a lot of uphill, over rocks and dirt. She really gets me motivated. I didn't want to go, but she said, Mom, my legs need a stretch!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did you eat today?

A cup of raisin bran w/skim milk for breakfast, then walked 2 miles with the dog before going to work. Had a piece of banana bread with a cup of coffee when I got to work. A banana for am snack, along with a piece of cake at going away party for a retiring co-worker. Cup of homemade chili for lunch. Half hour walk at lunchtime. Dinner was 3 oz of chicken breast, a cup of cooked vegetables, and an orange. Skipped the pm walk. It was raining. Snacked on a piece of string cheese and an ounce of almonds. That's it. A mere 1513 calories.

o

Harold... is that enough calories for you? Homemade chili sounds good!!

Today I've planned out my meals in advance (I have a pizza party tonight at a friend's house... and want my two slices!) Will do either 1.5 hours walk on pavement or 1 hour cardio today, depending on my schedule. Tried on my size *gasp* 5 jeans last night and managed to get them up to my waist and buttoned for a second. No way the zipper would go up, but considering 4-5 months ago they wouldn't go above my knees I'm pretty excited.

Breakfast: 3/4 cup black beans 3/4 cup brown rice
Lunch: Miso soup with tofu and veggies
Dinner: Two slices of pizza with pepperoni
Snack: Strawberries and blackberries with a tablespoon of plain non-fat yogurt

I still have 200 calories left that I can use at my discretion. Will probably be used on a beer with my pizza, some greens with the pizza and a piece of chocolate at bedtime.

o

Honest? Ok. I had forgotten the extra bar until I jotted this note.

Special K bar
Bowl of Splenda Oatmeal with diced apples.
Quaker 90 cal bar
Ate lunch out. Soup and Salad with steamed shrimp at lunch (oil and vinegar dressing; the soup had sausage in it but I only ate one or two)
Slice of bread

No sodas. Just water, coffee and tea with lemon. I do plan on wine at dinner tonight so I'm hitting veggies hard today. Plan on doing salad for dinner, too.

o

5 crackers
coffee with milk, sweetener
1 c no fat lemon yogurt
1 c pink lemonade
1 bratwurst done on grill w bun
sauerkraut
dinner will be
1 bowl hot/sour soup
1/2 c fried rice
green salad

If I want a snack later - no fat yogurt or unsweetnened cinnamon applesauce

o

Silver, I thought for sure you were going to zing me for skipping the walk due to rain (What no umbrella?). No need to take it easy on me. I thrive on negative reinforcement.:)

That was less than my usual calorie allotment, but I wasn't feeling too hungry. If I stop short of my self-imposed limit once in a while, then I can feel better about going over from time to time.

Today: Poached egg on Thomas Light English muffin. Cup of skim. Cup homemade wedding soup. Small chicken sandwich. Orange. Fish sandwich. Beer. Salad w/low fat dressing. 1 oz peanuts. 1441 calories so far plus whatever I snack on this evening.

o

Poached egg... yummy.

Harold, I completely missed the umbrella reference. Must be the lack of calories... feeling lightheaded... must eat chocolate!!!!!!

Went over by 85 calories but don't feel bad as my goal is 1200 but all the sites say I can go up to 13-1600. Who knows? And I had to have a treat when I got home. I figured Little Caesers pizza but my friends got Pizza Hut. Apparently the calories are much higher. Dratz!

o

Bump.

I like this thread. Can we keep it going, or start a new one?
Usually not a breakfast eater, so.....

I had a cup of General Foods International Cafe Francais. I know it's bad, but it's so good . And I've had one cup every morning every day of my life as far back as I can remember and I NEED IT!!!!!
Mid-morning snack: a handful of chickpeas, clery sticks and purple cauliflower. It's so pretty!

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad from Wendy's. And I watched pregnant daughter eat a cherry sundae with chocolate ice-cream and wet walnuts and didn't even taste it!

Mid-afternoon snack: 1/2 cup ricotta cheese with 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder and 1 tsp of Splenda all mixed up. Sort of like a chocolate cheesecake taste.

Dinner will be homemade veggie soup with one grilled hamburger (crumbled) and a small can of whitemeat chicken mixed in for flavor. (Made a big pot for the 3 of us.)
Should be good, fresh asparagus and some fresh chopped kale added for extra vitamins. Trying to get more calcium and Kale was at the top of the list that the Dr gave me for calcium.
Boy, this will help us be good if we have to fess up every time we cheat!
Betty

o

Breakfast ~ Fresh Pineapple
Dinner (2 pm) ~ Grilled chicken, tossed salad, water
Snack ~ Large Navel Orange
Later snack ~ either popcorn or a grapefruit.

o

Poached egg on lite Eng. muffin, cup skim. Orange. 6-inch sub and piece of string cheese. Hamburger on whole wheat bun, 1/2c baked beans, skim milk. Cup strawberries, 1 oz peanuts. 1676 calories. Have to do better on the veggies.

o

Betty,
I had a cup of General Foods International Cafe Francais. I know it's bad, but it's so good . And I've had one cup every morning every day of my life as far back as I can remember and I NEED IT!!!!!

I buy the sugar free (but I dont use the whole serving spoon size) of the suiss mocha and french vanilla, and it is GREAT for getting me through the afternoon blahs at work.

Today:
Right now, at 25 oz of water and have 20 more on my desk to drink during calls
Oatmeal (splenda, cinnamon, and a drained cup of dole diced apples)
Special K bar
Lean Cuisine
Dannon lite and fit yogurt
Fruit cup for afternoon snack
Dinner TBD but either lean cuisine or healthy fast food like subway.
Dessert skinny cow (I had been eating frozen yogurt with whipped cream but I was bad at not measuring, and I know I was overdoing the portion and eating more calories. The skinny cow snacks help me portion it out).

o

Tuesday:

Breakfast: Malt O'Meal with fresh strawberries
Lunch: miso soup with peas, and tofu
Snack: strawberries, blackberries stirred around in a 1/4 cup of nonfat plain yogurt
Dinner: Mahi-mahi, brown rice, peas and mushrooms
After dinner snack: wedge of smoked Gouda cheese and a cup of strawberries
And one Vodka on the rocks
approx. 1200 calories

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Malt O'Meal with fresh strawberries
Snack: strawberries, blackberries stirred around in a 1/4 cup of nonfat plain yogurt
Lunch: left overs! Mahi-mahi, brown rice, peas and mushrooms
Dinner: TBD. Maybe a veggie burger. I've taken to cooking it, cutting it into pieces, then cutting tomatoes into chunks, onions into chunks, cheese, lettuce etc into bite size pieces, then putting mustard and hot sauce on the side for dipping. I only miss the bread a little! And I feel like I get a lot of variety with my smorgasbord of food.
Approx. 1200 calories

(can you tell strawberries are in season here!?)

I read something about making the calorie-rich food the "jewel" of the crown, rather than the crown itself. I used to eat a big bowl of yogurt and fruit on the side. Now I mix a little yogurt into a big bowl of fruit. The difference in calories is amazing!! 150 compared to 240. And I actually think it tastes better with just a little yogurt, like a dessert rather than a yogurt dish.

o

Yesterday:
My usual first thing Cafe Francais. Helen, Where did you find SF? Have never seen any around here. (Va.)

After the treadmill: 1/2 cup spaghetti squash with just a shaving of Smart Balance for flavor, 1 slice turkey bacon, 1/2 large tomato.

Snack on the run (driving) celery sticks and the rest of my pretty purple cauliflower.

Starving when I got home: wolfed down 2 slices of pickle & pimento sliced sandwich meat, then a bowl of leftover soup.
Betty
Dinner: 1 grilled hamburger patty, mayo, 1/2 tomato and 1/2 cup black beans.

o

Yesterday I had:
Breakfast- Bowl of old fashioned oatmeal with scant tbls of chopped dried cranberries, pecans, 1 tsp molasses, and 1/2 cup skim milk.

Lunch- leftovers- chicken breast tenders wrapped in bacon slice, topped with fresh thyme sprigs and sliced tomato drizzled with EVOO, baked. Thai veggie stir fry.

Dinner- Large slice of homemade low-carb pizza with pepperoni, red green and yellow peppers, and black olives. Great homemade sauce. No cheese(allergies).

Late snack- 1 apple 15 pistachios.

o

Today I am having:

Breakfast: 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt with a fresh peach and banana mixed in.

Lunch: Salad with mushroom, mahi and teriyaki tofu

Snack: Protein powder shake

Dinner: ? I have 300 calories left. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last night I was hungry at around 9pm. I found a mini watermelon in my fridge and split a half with DH. It was so satisfying and I felt really good because I knew it was not a bunch of calories for the sweetness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here