Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you find the motivation??

Posted by munkos (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 16:01

Hi, I'm a newbie.

I'm nearly 21 and as a teen I was overweight. Weighing in at just under 200 pounds when I was 14. I had undiagnosed asthma, which was exersize induced, until I was 14. I couldn't do any activity without having a really difficult time. Once someone finally listened to me and I got my asthma under control I lost 60 pounds and was down to 129. My father passed away two years ago, and I quit working for quite a long time. My boyfriend also took time off work and together we happily, ignorantly put on about 50 pounds each. It didn't help that our roommate was pregnant, and she also put on about 70 pounds because she came home daily with ice cream, mcdonalds, and cheesecake for everyone. Hard to turn down junk food when its free and in your face!

He has lost about 30 of his through going back to work, and I don't think he needs to lose anymore, as he was a bit on the too thin side when we met. Bachelor eating habits aren't good.

Last june I started trying to lose weight. I lost 20 pounds in a few months. I then quit trying to lose and just wanted to maintain my weight and see if I could keep it off. Well, almost a year later, and 4 pounds lighter (even though I wasnt trying!) I want to start again. I am in a bridal party at the end of june, and would like to lose a good portion of the last 30 pounds before then. But I just can't find the motivation to get going again.

I know the wedding and looking good should be motivation enough, but it seems more like pressure at this point, rather than a goal. It seems like the more I try to get into it again, the more I fail. I haven't put any weight on, but I certainly can't get into diet mode.

Last time it was reading a diet website that got me motivated, so maybe joining one will get me going.

What motivates you, and how do you keep going when you really just don't feel like it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you find the motivation??

Truthfully.....looking at myself in the mirror naked....It wasn't a pretty sight...and you lose respect for yourself and consequently self esteem....I will tell you this though...unless you want to do it for yourself...you will never be able to do it...You have to want it that bad...

o

Hi Munkos fellow newbie here. I am also finding it difficult to get consistently motivated. It seems that whenever I may find the time/energy to workout someone comes up with something they need from me and it isnt hard to distract me. I am so stressed out right now and I know that working out will go a long way towards aleviating that but it is like pulling teeth getting back into it. 7 years ago I was in perfect shape too..weight training, had a BMI of 20, but then between rehabbing a house( which is how I found this site) and having 2 teens it got to be too much. Now I also have my 83 year old mom and my daughters 17 year old friend living with me as well. And none of them are that much help. Ruthieg what you say is true ..I can't stand looking at myself esp in clothes when nothing looks good..having gone from a size 6-8 to a size 12!! It sucks! But I am up this am and about to exercise for an hour or so before I go to work..I just have to do it..the alternative is just not an option at this point...

o

I need some motivation too. I have 50 lbs to lose. It all seems so hopeless. Going from couch potato to fit seems like a mountain to climb. And here's something unbelievable- I have heart problems so it's essential for me to lose the weight and get fit. You'd think I'd be on a treadmill everyday, but it doesn't happen. Does anyone have a motivational tip?

o

Two years I was at least 30+ lbs overweight. I just got sick and tired of not being able to breath when I would go out and do some gardening. Plus my back use to ache. I remember watching a program on tv about reversing your diet. Well, that is exactly what I started to do. I started to eat half my dinner and save the rest for breakfast. and I also started to walk. I use to walk around our firehall parking lot to start because that was flat and easy for me. I drove my car around first and seen that the circle was 0.1 mile. Well, I would walk around 10 times to equal 1 mile. Not fast, but a little more than a slow walk. Within 3 weeks I lost 5 lbs. I was absolutely thrilled. I found out that by eating a bigger breakfast you weren't hungry for snacks by mid morning. For lunch I would eat a can of soup and dinner I really wasn't hungry for a large meal. It's been over 2 years now and I lost 31 lbs and have kept it off. I didn't go out and buy any special foods. I just ate what I normally would eat but I just ate more of it in the morning. I do snack on peanuts and I have yogurt as my 3:00 snack. I did give up my doritos, fritos and cupcakes because I wasn't hungry for them anymore. I found out this is my lifestyle change because I can live like this the rest of my life. What I like about this is when we do go to parties or weddings, I eat whatever I want because I know I'm not going to gain 30 lbs in one night. On Monday, I'm back on schedule. My great husband did buy me a threadmill for rainy and cold days, but if you don't have one buy a walking DVD. They're just as good as walking outdoors. I use mine when it's raining. I hope this helps you. Linda from PA

o

Wangshan,

I'm w/ you. I was in shape a year ago or so, but that ship has sailed. I need to get beck to eating right and working out but it is SOOO hard! Maybe we form a daily motivation group. Ugh, I HATE the weight I have put on!

o

Linda from PA,

You've got me inspired! I live in PA also. I am determined to walk this ten pounds off!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here