Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone here on Atkins or low carb diet???

Posted by Janet_KS (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 04 at 14:13

Hi y'all,

May I join your forum?? After 25 years of yo-yo dieting, I need to make another attempt to get some weight off (again!!). I know several people who have had some success with Atkins or a low carb diet and would appreciate some more feedback. Anyone want to share their experiences with a Diet forum newbie??

Thanks,
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone here on Atkins or low carb diet???

Janet - hop aboard! Welcome!
There is a post just below on Fat Flush - same idea as Atkins from what I see. I post on Diet Pals - we do EVERYTHING, anything, our own thing and basically just keep each other going.
I have a friend who has been doing Atkins and has lost a lot of weight. Saw a very good health show of someone who has a lifetime of yo yo dieting and found Atkins suits her and her weight is now staying off - she loves meats, has learned to use the right types of fat (which you need) and still keeps her carbs at bay.
My success has been with a more balanced diet - weight watchers.
Whatever you decide to follow, feel free to make new friends, join any thread you like and ask questions.
You could even start a new thread on whatever diet you choose. We love new faces around here and have lots of encouragement. I use this forum as a journal, every day to reinforce my commitment to myself, write about the bad days too - moods, foods and all - I dust myself off and try again.
Whatever you decide to follow, please post no matter what.

Hi ya, from Scotland!
(I'm waving and yelling - youuu hooooo!)

McPeg

o

Hi Janet, Welcome!
I'm fairly new here too, and find this to be a caring, non-judgemental, supportive group. It has truly been an inspiration to be apart of this goup of special people.

I am not following the Atkins plan, but kind of my own version of it. I completely cut out white foods such as sugar, bread, flour etc... and eating healthy proteins such as lean turkey breast, beans, egg beaters, skim milk. etc...
and of course plenty of fresh fruit and vegies. It has been working for me, and I'm feeling so much better.
I just wanted to welcome you here, and I look forward to getting to know you.
alice

o

I've been low carbing for 3 1/2 years. It is the first time in my life I have had any control over my weight other than starving. Metabolisms and life styles differ greatly. I can't lose or maintain a loss on a reasonable "healthy" way of eating, but low carb works for me. There are times when I start craving bread or cereal or milk, but I'd rather give those up than weigh 340 lbs, which I was before I started. I lost 105 lbs in the first 2 years. Since then my body's adjusted, which is frustrating, but I know I'm better off than if I weren't doing it. At first I somersized and only needed to keep my carbs under 100 to lose, but now that's changed and I have to go lower. Lots of salads and veggies help. My son recently started Atkins after seeing 2 of his friends lose. He has lost 45 lbs in 3 months, but we all know that men usually lose faster.

o

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'm going to borrow an Atkins book from a friend and do some reading, but I imagine I'll do like Alice and try my own version of it. I think the hardest part for me will be the sugar -- I crave chocolate and sweets. Pasta and bread might be a bit of a challenge, too (I like sandwiches). I also crave protein, especially in the morning. If I try eating cereal (even oatmeal), it just doesn't stay with me and it's not long before I have a headache and gnawing sensation in my stomach. It seems like I've done just about every diet -- Weight Watchers, Nutri-System, "healthy" balanced eating, Phen-Fen, Xenical (sp??) and I've managed to diet myself up to a weight that I don't even want to admit to -- let's just say I need to lose over 100 lbs. We'll see what develops....

Janet

o

I've been doing Atkins since the end of October. It was really rough at first. But there are so many options. Low carb bread, I can still have a grilled cheese. Russell Stover low carb candy. Wraps. Low carb chips, I can have nachos. Low carb ice cream bars. I'm still in junk food heaven.

I tried it once without giving up my skim milk, gained 3 lbs in a week. This time I gave up the milk first but drew the line at diet Cokes. I've lost 24 pounds, very slowly but it's still a loss.

Good luck to you. The key is don't think about what you CAN'T eat but all the good things you CAN.

o

I've been on the Low Carb South Beach diet since July 2003. I lost 18# in a month, which was as low as I wanted to go. I didn't watch quite as much over the holidays and have gained a few pounds. I went back to phase 1 of the diet for 2 weeks and am back to my original loss. I normally don't watch the carbs quite as close on the holidays, but get right back on phase 1 for a week or 2 and then into the maintenance. It works for me. I can't believe how awful I feel now when I eat too many carbs. Also, I don't get hungry when I cut out the carbs.

o

Hi and welcome! I'm just cutting back on fat, portions, giving up regular sodas for diet, and exercising more. I've lost 15 lbs. in about 4 months---was basically not totally commited the first couple of months---I'm doing better.

I'm pretty satisfied with my weight loss so far and I really don't want to do a diet that is so strict that I'm stressed out about it. I don't know that much about the Atkins-------a lot of people say they lose weight pretty quickly----this has been on TV a lot lately and is pretty controversial among doctors.

My husband is a diabetic, so we count the carbs for him. I mostly count the fat and calories. It sure takes a lot of reading labels!!! Whew! But, fortunately, the grocers are carrying more and more foods that have low carbs and "lite."

Again, welcome, and hang around---there's several different forums going on.

o

Welcome!
Well I am basically doing Kathy's new diet.
I have become more aware of carbs but won't deny myself a bagel or subway sub if I want one. I am concentrating on eating more fiber, lean meats, fat free condiments, vegetables and for a treat frozen fruit or McDonald's ice cream. The key for me is to not eat a huge amount of food at a sitting but to spread small amounts of food out over the day. Kathy's diet works as long as Kathy sticks with it.
I have a family history of high cholesterol (genetic) so stay away from the fatty stuff. Find a diet you are comfortable with and watch your blood counts and get a skinny doctor....lol. Kathy who would win a wrestling match with her doc...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here