Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone noticed their tastes have changed?

Posted by silversword (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 12:20

I took my daughter to her favorite Italian chain restaurant last night and could not eat the food. It was horrible!!! Overly salty and just really bad. Usually I would have eaten it right up. But the white bread (hot, crusty outside, soft warm center) didn't do it for me either. Ended up just packing up my meal in it's entirety and bringing it home for her to eat later. And couldn't eat the ice cream either. My body just wouldn't let me put it in my mouth. I went home and ate popcorn for dinner. Not the healthiest, but what I really wanted. I told my husband it's sad when you go out to dinner and would rather be eating mac and cheese or popcorn at home!

Anyone else notice this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone noticed their tastes have changed?

I have completely lost my desire to eat bread. I wonder if I would feel the same way about pasta. So far, I haven't been tested there.
Cake and cookie type desserts also don't interest me. But even after more than 8 weeks on Atkins, I never lost the desire for fruit and a little sweetening of my coffee. (I've just worked up to the point at which I can have low-glycemic berries 3X per week, and I've had strawberries twice. But the good thing is that I don't want to overeat them. 5 medium strawberries at one time was just right.)

o

Did you used to be a big bread eater? I have noticed my desire for bread has gone up, while my desire for pasta has gone down. Also, I want more fruit when before I couldn't be bothered with fruit.

It's the processed foods, or restaurant foods that don't appeal to me the most. I looked up the calorie count today for the restaurant I went to last night and their salad has 120 calories. For a little tiny salad made of iceberg lettuce and not much more. Covered in fat free dressing. And the meal that I could have/would have eaten? 1040 calories. Combine that with the dessert at 180 calories and the wine I would have drunk ordinarily at 120 or so and my total calorie count for one meal would have been way over my daily allowance!!!

Is it perhaps the richness of the food that's turning my stomach?

o

I only wish! What I've noticed is that everything tastes better when you have a little edge of hunger. So, I can enjoy veggies or salad I might have passed up before. However, I know I could wolf down a half a bag of potato chips with sour cream & onion dip, with great gusto, like I used to do, and wash it down with a beer or a tall glass of Pepsi.

o

salivating

potato chips...........sour cream & onion dip...........beer.......

I have not had any of that in months!!!! But while it sounds good I don't think it would taste as good as it used to. Maybe the beer would, but I think, based on receiving a generous french fry offering from my dd the other day (how could I refuse!?) and actually having to spit it in the trash, (it was that bad!) that the grease and salt would turn my stomach.

I've noticed that I am more willing to eat healthy with a touch of hunger too. If I have easily made healthy stuff and am hungry... boy does it taste good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here