Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need lots of help

Posted by elisamcs (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 12:04

I'm new here, and I can't believe I'm doing this, but I figure nothing else is working so I'll give this a try. I was on Atkins for two years and did wonderfully - until my kidneys starting spilling protein. Definitely a no no. So, I got off Atkins and tried to do South Beach as my doctor recommended, but I've regained almost 2/3 of my weight loss. I'm having a terrible time getting started again and I was hoping for some ideas from some of you. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need lots of help

Are you still trying to do South Beach....I have the book and read through it but still decided on Weight Watchers...but lots of people I know are doing good on SB....I think you really just have to be sick and tired of being fat and make the commitment to doing it...Hang with us and we'll try to keep you going...

o

This will undoubtedly sound extreme, but it worked for me. I basically devised my own diet, lost about 40 pounds and have kept it off for over 2 years now. I only eat ONCE A DAY. I don't follow any restrictions and eat whatever I want to. It's all about the timing and was intended to 'reset' my metabolism which it DID completely. Now before you freak out (and I can already hear nutritionists gasping), think of it this way. Biologically, humans are closer to carnivores than herbivores, right? Carnivores eat very large meals, but go for long periods without any food and do just fine. Ever seen a fat lion? Although centuries of living well has turned us into 'browsers,' eating several times a day, I don't believe our bodies were designed for that. I'm sure our primitive ancestors didn't eat 3 meals a day.

Anyway, the gist of it is you only have ONE meal per day. I eat whatever I want to- steak, pasta, bread, even a dessert if I'm so inclined. But no breakfast, no lunch, no snacks- nada until that one meal. I drink as many liquids as I like (although I don't drink sodas, I do coffee and sweetened tea all day.) Still, it's that constant intake of food, always topping off the tank so to speak, that kept the weight on AND kept me wanting more food. Once my system adjusted to this feast-or-famine eating, I was perfectly comfortable and didn't even have an appetite until nightfall. Granted, this isn't a diet for the meek and the first week is hell. But I was amazed at how fast my body adapted and before long, I wasn't even thinking about food during the day at all. And it's so altered my metabolism that gorging or eating huge portions just isn't possible- I couldn't do that if forced to now.

I'd spent more than 3/4 or my lifetime overweight, starting as a fat child. I think I tried every diet known to mankind and never could stick with any of them. So I took a radical approach by attacking the problem on a different level- WHEN I was eating instead of what I ate and it worked. Like I said, two years and 40 lbs later, I finally feel comfortable with myself. I just wish I'd figured this out back when I was 25 and still dating!

o

Check these 2 books out ( from your library if you don't want to spend any money)

The abs diet by David Zinczenko (there is a woman's version as well, but either will do)

Easy GI Diet by Helen Foster

o

First get a complete medical checkup. Then as Good Housekeeping has recommended for years. use common sense. Cut down, cut back but do not cut out!! Balance your foods, take only the vitamins and minerals you and your Dr said you need. A good vitamin with minerals is all most people need. As a person gets older or has medical problems work with your dr. and/ or a good dietitian.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here