Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SS Support Week of 4/20 - 4/26

Posted by milkdud_2007 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 9:04

Good Monday morning, everyone! Getting us started for a busier posting week than last. LOL

It's a beautiful, sunny day here with temps at 58 F. right now, and climbing to 78 later today.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Monday!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SS Support Week of 4/20 - 4/26

Happy MONDAY and thanks for getting us started Milkdud.

I'm at the office and already up to my neck, so I just have time to wish everyone a safe and healthy week!

Dee

o

Good morning! It's a beautiful day here, too! I love this time of year.

I was a little nervous going to WW this morning, since I skipped last week's meeting. Fortunately, I had a good weight loss, so made it to 27 pounds total lost. When I average it all out from starting in January, it adds up to a 1.7 weekly weight loss. So, those of us who get frustrated because we don't lose like the Biggest Loser contestants, or when we were younger (I wish!) it eventually adds up.

One of the members commented on how frustrated she had gotten, because she had been doing everything right, including walking 2 miles almost every day, and had been on a plateau for like 3 weeks. So, last week she added weight training to her program, and she saw a weight loss today.

I have a question about vitamins. We take Centrum Silver. On Saturday I walked with a neighbor's mother who was visiting. She was very nice and very fit, especially for her age, but before I knew it, she was doing a sales pitch on Usana vitamins! So much, that she invited me over the next day to look at the booklet, give me her card, etc. I couldn't find a whole lot about it when I googled, except that it looks like one of those pyramid schemes.

That being said, what do you all do for your daily vitamin regimen, if anything? Does a particular vitamin or supplement really make a difference in your health? Please share your experiences. Hope everyone's week is a great one!

o

Milkdud--Thanks for getting the thread started!

Dee! It's dead at work here, but I have a lot of personal stuff I'm getting done, making choices for my house. Lucky thing I work for my hubby or I'd feel more guilty about taking company time for this stuff! haha

Wodka-Here's my 2 cents in the vitamin shops. I buy the vitamins, take them for a while, and then end up forgetting or dreading the daily dose. I get my vitamins from eating a balanced diet. Sometimes my doc suggests taking a supplement, but that's the only time I take something. Good for you for walking on Saturday!

The weather here is GORGEOUS! Our office is on the downtown waterfront and it's really pretty outside. We get to see the ferries come and go and the busy waterfront lunch rushes. Today is a good day.

My dad is doing well. He had a pacemaker installed last Monday and will go home this week on Friday. Thank heaven. He'll miss the Derby this year, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. I hope he hangs around August when I can go see him. He's, of course, my hero.

Speaking of heroes, my little baby turned 2 on Saturday! And the state still hasn't sent the home study packet to DHSH in Texas. I'll putting him through college before they get anything done, I swear.

CHECK IN, MAN! Yes, when I do, I think everyone should....!

o

wodka, I take a lot of supplements. I'm doing Atkins, and at my level, I am doing only 25 grams of carbohydrates per day, so I know I'm not getting everything I need from my diet. I really don't worry much about brands, though, and maybe I should. I use a generic (Wal-Mart brand) multi-vitamin with chromium in it, plus an extra chromium supplement daily. Then I add an additional calcium/magnesium/zinc, omega-3 fish oil, and a B-complex vitamin. The brands are all over the place. I've never bought into the "expensive" vitamin deal, and (Warning--I hope this isn't too gross--just skip to the next post if discussion of bodily functions disturbs you) I can tell by the change in odor of urine when I do or don't take the vitamins, so I'm confident that something's getting absorbed. ;p

--R

o

Happy Monday,

Good to hear about your Dad BJ.

Ive done a bit of research and asking around about suppliments, and there are some differences. Brands dont seem to matter as much, but the ones you get at walmart, or most food stores, ie the cheaper ones, are made with cheap ingredients, have tons of chemical and fillers in them, but the most important thing is that they are compressed and dont disolve or absorb as easily. What I looked for was a gel, a powder filled capsule, or a lightly compressed style multi. I got mine at a vitiman shoppe and paid $26 for a 180, so not that much more than 7 bucks at Walmart for 100 of em. I also got a timed released one, but even then my nutritionalist said to take it 2 times a day. Must also take them with food, thats very important. Besides the multi I take a gel cap of D, cause i live in the north and avoid the sun, and also a gel style B complex, because my diabetes med strips the body of B. Ive also been taking chromium, cause this contest is about gaining muscle and losing fat, but probably wont continue it.

I really take the multi for peace of mind. I dont have to worry if I ate enough leafy greens, or different veggies this week, I know im covered. Also having a multi can repair or prevent damage from free radicals. Short story is all the bad stuff we take into our bodys create free radicals, anything from junk food to second hand smoke to pestisides... these free radicals can do damage to the body by stealing the molecule they are missing from another healthy cell, making that a free radical itself. If you have excess vitimans in your system, there are plenty of molecules availible, least thats the theory :)

I guess the common sense part of me also sais, you get what you pay for. I also noticed taking a cheaper walmart multi, my urine didnt change color, and with these its usually a brigh yellow, which is just because of the excess B leaving the body, but as your body cant store B, thats a good thing.

In the end it up to you. For me the little extra cash was worth it, and the place I go to offers buy one get 2nd off at 50%, so 360 caplets cost $40, the walmart ones I used to buy were about $25 for that amount, I spend $15 every six months on worse things :)

Have a great day!

John

o

Hats off to the birthday girl!
Happy Birthday Donna_SouthNJ!

o

Happy Birthday Donna!! I hope you have a special day and evening planned and celebrate in a big way! I shall leave the singing to Dee!! XXX OOO ...

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...............
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...............
HAPPY BIIIIRRRRRTHHHHDAAAAAAY DEAR, SWEET, GARDEN STATE, JERSEY GIRL, COOL TOMATO DONNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Hope today is super happy for you Donna. You just know that I had to mention our great tomatoes! LOL!!!

o

Happy birthday, Donna! Wishing you a healthier, happier, less busy year for you.

o

Hey John,

Tell us a little more about this contest you are in!

o

I'll come back & post later but I had to come wish my un-birthday partner in crime, Donna, a Happy Birthday! Hope it's a good one Sweetie! :-)

o
Need some help!

Does anyone here know anything about ticks? DH had on in his back this morning, and I stupidly tried to pull it out with a tweezer. I'm fairly certain that the head is still in there. Does he need to see a doctor. He got it in the backyard, but we do not have any deer around here. After I saw there was still something left, I put vaseline over it (another no-no I think). I'm a nervous wreck over this!

o

I found this on the web for you Dee. Don't worry so much if you don't have deer. You can barely see a deer tick they are very hard to see.

Saw this on Oprah, Dr. Oz said to pull the tick straight out with a pair of tweezers. You can leave the head in, the body will work it out. I think he said if you are in a Lyme disease region to then take the tick to your dr. to have it checked. Do not try to burn, smother or drown the tick out, they don't work.

o

Donna - I wanted to wish you a fantastic birthday - do something fun, do something for YOU and remember cake and ice cream doesn't count today. I really hope the year ahead of you is a great one - you deserve it.

Dee - what did DH decide to do about the tick? If nothing, it would probably be wise to call the Dr and have him/her remove it.

QOD - I take a multi-vitamin, Vitamin D and Omega 3. This is what my Doc wants me to take. Unfortunately, I am very much like BJ and get sick of taking them and they go by the wayside. I have been good about taking them lately.

BJ - good to hear that things went well for your dad. I will keep him in my thoughts (you too - but you are always in my thoughts). Darn I wish they speed things up for Baby V.

Nothing new or exciting to report here - things are busy at work and home - but all is well and everyone is healthy.

Enjoy!

o

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SNJDONNA! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY TO HAVE YOUR BIRTHDAY ON! Hope you get everything you wished for and your day turns out nicely! We love you!

DeeMarie: The tick's head stuck in there because, I read, ticks have "reverse harpoon-like barba that attach the tick firmly and the mouth secretes a glue-like substance"----uhhh, sexy...! Ok, the doc on the site I was on NetWellnessDOTorg said if you removed it within 7-10 hours, you're okay. Keep track of the site, disinfect it daily with alcohol 2 or 3 times a day and wait. If he experiences neck pain, fever, rash, go to the doc.

In other news...the home study is now in TX, and so we'll know pretty soon (60-90 days) where "my baby" is going go. I'll keep everyone posted.

John! YAY for you for popping in! I love it when you do that! :-)

Do anyone have any PERSONAL experience with Asperger's? I mean like living with someone who has it, or a family member with it, or a close friend with it. Thanks in advance for any personal experience you feel like you can share here. And yes, I've already read, I think, every book on it, but if anyone thinks there might be one I have missed, please let me know. I'm researching this syndrome.

Have a great day, guys!

o

Donna, happy birthday - hope it's been a great one for you!

Thanks for everyone's input on vitamins. John, I like your idea of getting a gel-type or more soluble vitamin, so will look into that. My husband takes vitamin B-complex, and also has Type II diabetes.

BJ, I don't have personal experience with Asperger's, but my sister and I have suspected a young relative in our family of having it, and his mother even suggested the possibility, but to my knowledge they have only had a discussion. It's almost like they don't want to admit there is a problem. He has seen a doctor, after having an episode at school. This young person has exhibited quite a few symptoms related to Asperger's, ever since he was a toddler. It's hard not to say anything, but feel like something will happen soon when it will then have to be addressed. A difficult situation. His symptoms have included crying, depression, agitation when strangers approach, stilted speech, few social skills. He's in the 9th grade and very, very smart, even with these behaviors. I hurt for him and for his parents, but feel like, in my very humble opinion since I don't have children, that it would be better to finally know so they could address the illness, as heartbreaking as it might be.

o

Thank you for the wonderful birthday wishes! I love all of you!

Dee, yes our tomatoes are the best, I agree :-)

Ticks - yuck. I would visit the doc to be on the safe side. Deer ticks are very small but no sense in taking chances. My property backs up to woods and ticks are an issue which is why I say again - yuck.

Patti, I got my beautiful card yesterday. Thank you my sweet un-birthday partner! I love it and it's displayed with all of my other cards.

BJ, glad things went well with Dad. Your birthday card is on it's way! 60-90 days is an eternity - ((hugs)).

I really have to read and catch up but wanted to hop on and say thanks for having me in the family - I sincerely mean that. Your friendship has meant a lot to me and I am very grateful for it.

My birthday goal Jan is to be less busy and visit here much more often! Also, this is my last birthday as a chunky girl...my promise to me. Today I did eat and drink what I wanted.

QOD: I take a multi vitamin, omega 3, vitamin c and calcium with D every (most) days. Like others I do lose interest and stop but always start up again.

I have no personal experience with Asperger's. Honestly though I have heard of it I will have to google it to find out more info.

I will be back - sooner rather than later I promise!

o

BJ, we have a friend who is a young adult (about 25 now) with Asperger's. He worked for my husband in his landscaping business one summer, and we attend church with him. He graduated college near the head of his class, is very knowledgeable in history and economics, but hasn't been able to get a job because of difficulties in social skills and some other issues (personal grooming is a big issue, in part due to his perspective more than his abilities to care for himself).

o

Donna, happy belated birthday. I hope it was wonderful!

oxBesh

o

BJ - my nephew has asperger's. He was misdiagnosed for a while. I posted a link below to an institute that has made a lot of progress with this syndrome.

hello to all

busy busy busy

Here is a link that might be useful: Option Institute

o

BJ-Wishing you nothing but the best!
Happy Birthday!

o

Happy birthday, BJ! Let us know how your special day goes!

I am so happy. I have met the sweetest neighbor, my age, but with a much higher metabolism, so I have to really work to keep up with her, which is a good thing. We have walked every day this week, 4 days in a row. I saw the other neighbor, who months ago said she wanted to start walking with me, but didn't; then wanted to do WW with me, but didn't. Yesterday she was kind of whiny, saying how she wanted to get started, and I thought thank goodness I'm not still waiting on her to decide!

Hope y'all are having a good day. It's hot, but so beautiful outside!

o

BJ - Happy Birthday! I was trying to figure out how long I have known you in pounds I have lost and gained but I couldn't keep track. I am so happy to have not only met you here but also in person. I love your wonderful perspective on life, your whirlwind life that just makes my head spin, your generous and caring nature. My wish for you is to have a lifetime filled with fantastic days. Love ya!

o

BJ!!!! HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I hope it is fantastic!

oxBesh

o

Happy birthday, BJ! Wishing you a day full of lovely surprises and happy smiles!!!

I just house-sat for a sorority sister while she attended her husband's funeral. It was the first time in forever that I had so much peace and quiet to catch up on all kinds of little projects that I wisely carried with me today. She also has the lovliest big black Lab who liked me, and we had play breaks every hour on the hour. It didn't hurt that the house was so gorgeous and comfy.

I didn't sleep well last night because I was worried that I'd sleep through my alarm clock, so I think I'll sneak in a quick nap before hubby gets home! :-)

Wishing everyone a relaxing Thursday evening!

o

Happy Birthday BJ!! My un-birthday buddy :-)

I hope it's the best one ever --- enjoy!!!

Donna

o

Happy Belated Birthday BJ!! I hope you had a wonderful day. Wow, two parties in one week!

I hope the birthday girls can find a minute to check in and tell us what you did!

Patti, where are you girlfriend?

We are expecting an absolutely glorious weekend here in NH and I intend to spend almost every minute of it outside! Riding of course and getting my vegetable beds ready for planing! I am so psyched!

My new field is supposed to be seeded and fertilized today. It's really coming along!!

QOD: Weekend plans?

o

What, no backup for the song????

OK, better late than never.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...........
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU...........
HAPPY BIIRRRTHHHHDAAYYY DEAR, ENERGETIC, BOOT-WEARING, BUTT-KICKING, GREAT ALL-AROUND GAL, BEEEEEEEE JAAAAAAAAY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Love ya sister.....Hope it was a great day!

o

Happy B-day week to you both, have a great weekend eveyone, its 80+ around here, im sure most NewEnglanders will complain its too hot! :)

o

Happy B'Day Donna! Hope I'm not too late.

Hi Everyone,
I know I've been away for some time. Had a very bad bout of winter depression - I think EVERYTHING caught up with me and my yakking energy just died. I've been seeing a psychologist at the hospital to talk about things and I just love her. Also did a pre-registration for a fall course - group therapy, education - to relearn how to think about things.

As for weight loss - FINALLY BACK ON TRACK. I'm starting all over again at my start weight of 147 - my goal is anything from 135 - 140 and MAINTAIN (that's the hard part). This is year 3 of my overall weight loss plan. I started at 162 a few years back. I am 5'3", medium frame so any extra weight hurts. My hips still grind, I get back spasms from the weight I carry now so my health is telling me off.

Please accept my apologies for being MIA for so long. I had to recoil and recover some more from life. But I'm back to rattle everyone's cage again.

As for work - I cannot get office work nor any type of response in Ottawa - Canada's capital city - you have to be 'french' and have a government security clearance of 'secret' to get anything I used to work at. I don't care anymore - Ottawa can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

I returned to college in the winter and started taking web design courses. I now work at home part time, through hubby's work contact, doing very basic grunt web work. It's a small start that I am very, very grateful for. A long project with a lot more to learn to stay employed. New software support books to read, learn. At least it gives me something extremely important - HOPE. And it's progressive in continued education (e-learning, internet, home study courses...school...). Gosh this has been such a long road for me over the last 5 years coming home from Scotland. I still miss my Mom. It has been 10 months...but seems longer because the Mom I lost left a few years ago when her body started slowing down. I don't feel like crying anymore - I like to remember our fun moments and how much she gave all of us. Being adopted I think I was blessed to have the parents I had. As for my sisters (long story for anyone who doesn't know me...) they are part of my therapy discussions. I have to let them go for my sanity. I love them, always will, wish them happiness in life and pray one of them finds a way to let go of her inner pain. It's a shame but it's the only way right now I can take care of myself.

Geez, look at me again, babbling non-stop.

I'm working on eating smarter, smaller meals during the day and drinking more water, less coffee. My sleep is still erratic but that's just me. Today we're going up to an unseasonal 25 degrees or about 80F. So I'm heading outside shortly to work in the garden.

It's time I got my butt back here, eh?

LOL to all of you,
Peggy

o
and...

Oh and Happy B'Day BJ!
Hugs to you!

o

Hi Guys!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A million thanks! I had a busy b-day. Woke up with a bunch a stressed face skin---don't want to give details, but you know what I mean, I'm sure. Then, halfway through the day, the daycare calls---Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) going around---I went to the doc--yep, I had it too, in both eyes. Then, thinking I'd go home and have some din and a little wine. The power went out--on every island!--for 6 hours! I cooked on the grill, lit some candles and relaxed! It was the NEXT DAY that was great! An offer on our house and we accepted it. We 're leaving tonight to get it ready for inspection. It would be SO great if this happened and we sold our house!

Anyway, hi to everyone! Glad you're back, McPeg---STAY HERE now!!! haha.

Okay, I gotta fly---headed to the mainland. No internet, no fax, no wired devices until Monday.

HUGS TO ALL---and thanks for the B-day party!!!! Got the card, SNJDonna, LOVED IT! So funny!

o

I'm staying here! LOL
Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday evening. I'm looking forward to checking in tomorrow. We're having weird, weird weather....blankets tonight, A/C tomorrow! Nuts!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here