Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weight Loss stalled

Posted by nwroselady (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 19:02

Hi, everybody! I posted here a couple of times months ago, but didn't follow through. Briefly, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in Dec 2008, rushed back to Weight Watchers and started the program again after several years. I've lost about 90 pounds in the last 16 months, still have about 60 to go. I've also joined Curves and work out at least three times per week. Trouble is my weight loss has stalled in the last couple of months even though I'm sticking with the program. I did some additional exercise at Curves last week and broke through my low point by dropping another two pounds, so I'm tempted to think picking up the exercise is the answer. What do the rest of you do when you just bounce around gaining and losing the same two pounds? Anybody got any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weight Loss stalled

Hi NWRose,
I would up the exercise and water, and work on replacing any foods I can (eat more leafy greens, fiberous foods like apples, and reduce meats).

Also, maybe change out your exercising? If you usually do walking, try sprint-walking or bicycling. Try to break a sweat doing other exercises and jump-start your body!

Good luck!

o

Hi, Rose

I've had a few stalls. I never really changed anything, just waited it out. Here is a pretty good article by Lyle McDonald that explains what's happening about as well as anything I've found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyle McDonald - Of whooshes and squishy fat

o

Thanks to both of you who responded. My WW leader told me to increase the number of points (calories). This didn't make sense to me so I didn't. Then the owner of the Curves gym I go to told me that in the Curves weight loss plan, they work on this problem by building in to the plan a period of increased caloric intake, i.e. going from 1200 calories per day to 2000 calories per day for a period of two to four weeks. Their theory is that the body interprets the 1200 calorie per day diet as "starvation", and becomes much more efficient at using those calories. Increasing calories temporarily "resets" the metabolism, so when the 1200 calorie per day diet is resumed the weight starts coming off again.

Thing is, my clothing size is getting smaller, my fat index is decreasing, and when they do the monthly measurements at Curves I'm losing inches. So something is happening, even though very little weight loss is involved. I've decided to make the sacrifice and increase my calories temporarily.

o

If you are losing inches, I fail to see a problem. But, that's okay, a break from your diet won't hurt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here