Is anyone else here diabetic??

Posted by SunshineMom (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 05 at 14:18

I could sure use a buddy to talk to!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is anyone else here diabetic??

Hope you don't mind if I pipe in :-)

My dad is type2. My husband 'was' type1, but he got a kidney-pancreas transplant, so he's had normal sugars ever since.

My age, family history and weight put me at high risk so that's why I'm trying to stay under 145 (not there at the moment but working on it!) If I keep it under 145, my risk is a lot lower, according to ADA's Diabetes Self Test.

My Weight watchers style does not work as well for my father because some of my 2-point foods that I like are too high in sugar grams for him to manage.

My BIL just got diagnosed with Type2, and is trying to get it under control with just diet.

o

Type 2 checking in! Have only known for the last 6 months. So much I don't know! Are you 1 or 2?
I'm in Brighton, Michigan.
Kathy G in MI

o

Type II here also. I don't work at it as well as I should. Check my blood every day, but I don't seem to have the sense to not eat what I shouldn't. What's your story, lol?

o

I am type II. I am taking Metformin twice a day, but I have no idea how quickly it works to help with BS. My BS was 253 at the doctors and I have it down to 193 this a.m. I am dieting big time low-fat and low-carb. I lost 8 lbs last week. I realize this is going to be a long haul as I did not put the weight on fast so it is going to take time. I am using my treadmill and am trying to walk 2 miles a day. Not too hard ONCE YOU GET ON THE DARN THING!!! I have it in my living room and turn the TV up loud so I can hear it. Maybe we could all be each others support and check in now and then!!!! Kathy, I work in Dearborn, but live near Monroe - we are practically neighbors. I am seeing a dietician tonight and am looking forward to them helping me figure out what I can and cannot eat. My hubby has been VERY supportive and my 19 year old son (who is VERY much into weight lifting) is my cheerleader. Can any of you tell me what your BS numbers were and how you have controlled it?

o

I'm really glad to see this thread!! I was recently diagnosed as Type II. Here's my story...I'm 42 (soon to be 43), battled my weight my entire life and have the family history. I am good about getting a physical and blood work every year and for many years, my BS would climb a point or two every year or so. In November 2003, it was 116. By November 2004, it had jumped to 146 and my triglycerides jumped from 99 to 200-something (I can't remember the exact number). My total cholesterol has run in the 230s for years, but HDL and triglycerides were good so the doctor didn't worry too much about it. Anyway, at the end of November, he put me on Lipitor, thinking that if the triglycerides would come down, the blood sugar would follow. When I had lab work down the first week of January, my cholesterol had dropped 60 points, triglycerides came down some but were still a little high and my blood sugar had jumped another 30 points to 178. That's when the doctor added the Metformin -- I also take two a day. I've been getting my blood sugar checked every couple of weeks and it had come down to 142, but went up a little bit the last time -- I'm under a lot of emotional stress right now and suspect that it might be a factor.

As for diet and exercise, I did low carb last summer and lost 20 lbs. The doctor said in January that low carb is fine for me, but to also watch the animal fats. I look forward to hearing what your dietician says. Since I was diagnosed, I haven't been exercising or following a diet, but I hope to in the next few weeks as I recover from my stress and grief.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you're exercising and losing weight (maybe you can inspire me)!! Big hugs need to go out to hubby and son for being so supportive.

I hope some of this information is helpful. One thing I'd like to add is that my mother was diagnosed in her late 40s and for 30 years controlled it with diet and medication -- and no, she wasn't real strict with her diet, she just watched it. She's 78 now and it has just been in the last couple of years that she's really had trouble controlling it. She's not taking insulin, but does need to check her blood several times a day at home. So, I really believe it can be managed and I'm hoping I can follow in her footsteps.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but it felt good to "talk" about it.

Janet

o

What a pita we have gotten ourselves into!! Janet, I would like us to keep in touch as we probably have a lot in common. I find it amazing that one can get this just from being heavy. Yet, I know so many people bigger than me that are not active and they don't have it! My 2 grandmothers were big women and I take after them and neither of them had it. It is very frustrating, but hopefully we can support each other. Email me if you would like to.

o

I was just diagnosed with type 2 last month. I was sent to "diabetic school" for five half days and learned an awful lot. We don't get diabetes from being heavy. You either have a pancreas that will go the distance or you don't. Of course not taking care of yourself will bring it on sooner and that includes weight gain. Scientists have no real clue if having the tendency to gain weight is linked to the tendency to have diabetes, but it looks like it is. Of course, there are lots of thin diabetics and a lot of fat non-diabetics. Don't let anyone give you crap that you brought this all on yourself. Take a look at what is on the net about metabolic syndrome. I am 4 for 4. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, a lousy hdl/ldl ratio and an apple shape so small wonder that I have diabetes.

The understanding I came away from my class with is that very low carb diets are BAD for people with diabetes because the liver is capable of making more sugar than we are capable of eating and that is just what it will do if it thinks you are starving. With diabetes you can't balance out the day with fats, and carbs, and protein. You need to treat each meal as a separate event, particularly where carbs are concerned. It is paramount that you eat breakfast. Otherwise you liver will swing into full action and your blood sugar with go too high and then go thump. I am still battling with my insurance company to get my glucose monitor, but my doctor told me that once I have it, I should plan on sticking myself at least 5 times a day to learn how my individual body reacts to individual meals. When I have that figured out, I can cut down on the sticks, but never to less than one a day. I am not on meds yet. My Hemoglobin A1c is still under 7 and I want it to stay that way.

o

Yes, being overweight does not cause diabetes. It is just one of several risk factors. The genetic predisposition is probably the most important.

With a good BMI, I'm a 1-in-10 shot at being type 2, with family history and age alone.

But when my weight creeps up, I become like a 6-in-10 chance.

We can't change our age (although we try) :-) and can't change family history, but we can usually do something about weight.

Staying at a good BMI does not guarantee I will never become type 2, but it certainly delays it. (Conversely, it is true that being overweight does not guarantee you will become diabetic, but it makes it far more likely).

In addition, a good healthy eating style keeps the blood sugars in a more normal range. The longer you keep normal or close-to-normal HA1C's, the longer it will be before your eyes, heart or kidneys suffer.

The WW way of eating controlled balance of calories, fat grams and fiber, is good for diabetics, as well as those watching BP or cholestorol. Carb-counting in general, is also a good way to come up with daily menus for diabetics. We had lots of folks in my WW meetings who came off BP and Cholestorol meds after eating well-balanced over time.

I think the key to all of us is coming up with a well-balanced plan that suits each of our personalities well enough that we can stick to it for life!!!

o

Hi all,
Well, I finally emailed Cindy, darn computer!
I too take Metformin 2x's a day, but my blood sugars have not been over 189 whenever I take them. Sounds like I'm the lucky one. My cholesterol is good too. I have lost 8 pounds in the last 2 months, but need to lose more. The doctor told me to do 40 minutes a day on the treadmill and that I can break up the times to 10 or 15 minute segments.
But then to do some weight lifting for 20 minutes a day.
Does that mean get my butt out of the chair? Up, down, up, down? I wish!
I need to see a dietician for a really good class. I did meet with one for 30 minutes, but itwas right after my diagnosis and I didn't know what I should be asking. I've sure been reading a lot. So glad to hear what everyone else has to say, I'll soak up all the info!
Cindy, thanks for starting this thread! Should we be on the Health forum?
Kathy G in MI

o

Kathy, that's 1 pound a week! That is good progress. Think about it - if you keep it up for a whole year, that's 52 pounds!!!

I just got a treadmill, and have to finish putting it together. But it's been a rollercoaster week - DH was in hospital - he's fine - every couple of years, his transplant situation makes life interesting. But maybe tonight I will finish assembling it.

Kathy, your doc probably wants you to have more muscle. Lean tissue burns calories more efficiently than fatty tissue. A little weight training can go a long way!

o

I think we need a Diabetic Forum. How do we arrange that?? It could be a good resource for others to find information. It is so much nicer to "talk" to people who have been through this process rather than read books about it.

o

Before, we used to be able to ask Spike about new forums. Don't know who to ask with iVillage.
Any ideas?
Kathy G in MI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here