Houzz Logo Print
yankandtex

Recipes

yankandtex
16 years ago

Easy Crockpot Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients

6 green peppers washed, topped & seeded

1 1/2 lb to 2 lb. ground beef, or ground turkey, or mix with sweet or hot Italian sausage, ground sirloin (whatever is your taste!)

1 C cooked brown rice (white if you prefer)

1 small onion

1 t salt

1/8 t black pepper

dash of basil (one person suggested that you use 1/2 t)

1/2 C ketchup

1 8 oz can tomato sauce w/ or w/out seasoning

*Additional ingredients that were suggested if you like: mushrooms; zucchini; parmesan; mozzarella; cheddar cheese; instead of 6 green bell peppers use 2 green, 2 yellow, & 2 orange; stewed tomatoes; bacon; tomato soup (instead of sauce + 1/2 can of water); garlic; 1/4 t cinnamon

Directions

Brown beef in skillet. Combine meat & next 6 ingredients. Stuff bell peppers. Arrange bell peppers in large crock pot. Can be stacked. Pour tomato sauce over peppers. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

Serving Size

Preparation Time

15 minutes

Cooking Time

4 to 7 hours

Comments (38)

• deemarie5500
    16 years ago

Oh boy, Patti. This looks so delish! Will try this one soon. Ed loves stuffed peppers!

Thanks
    Dee

:0)

• marci_pa
    16 years ago

Roasted Red Pepper Dip with Veggies

1 medium sweet red bell pepper
    1/2 small jar Roasted Red Peppers
    1/2 tsp. sugar (I use Splenda)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    4 oz. light cream cheese
    1/4 C lowfat plain yogurt or lite sour cream
    1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce

Wash outside of red pepper and remove small slice from top; carefully remove seeds and fibers. Set aside. In blender container or food processor bowl (food processor works best) with metal blade, combine roasted red peppers (drained) with sugar, salt, cream cheese, yogurt(or sour cream) and hot pepper sauce. Cover; blend until smooth. Transfer to covered bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours to blend flavors. To serve, spoon dip into hollowed out red pepper. Serve with fresh vegetable dippers and/or crackers.

Store in refrigerator.
    Makes 1 Cup.

• Related Discussions

RECIPE: Over 5000 Recipes (RecipeWITCH)

Q

Comments (1)
    Is that your site? I see you just registered today.
    ...See More

RECIPE: recipe: recipe: ewww!!! hunza!

Q

Comments (6)
    This is the Logan Bread recipe my neighbors use. OK, it is not EXACTLY the same, but since it is several years old, I think the Hunza Bread people tweaked it some, and claimed it for their own. I typed in the introduction just as is on the recipe from my neighbors. Logan Bread: Logan Bread is a delicious, DENSE, chewy Bread that's VERY NUTRITIOUS and is ALMOST IMPERVIOUS to SPOILAGE! This makes a huge batch of sixty 2-inch squares, HIGH in Protein, Vitamins, and Minerals. Keeps weeks at Room Temperature, EVEN LONGER in the Fridge and INDEFINITELY in the Freezer. The Recipe for this WONDERFUL Bread is as follows - *4 lbs. (14 1/2 cups) Whole Wheat/Kamut or Spelt Flour *1 1/2 cups Sucanat (dehydrated Cane Juice) *1/2 cup Instant Dry (or Soy) Milk *1 tsp. Sea Salt *2 tsp. Rumford's (Non-Aluminum) Baking Powder *1 tsp. Cinnamon *1 tsp. ground Nutmeg *1 cup chopped Nuts (see below) *4 cups PURE Water *1 1/4 cups Honey *1 1/2 cups Blackstrap Molasses *1 1/4 cup Sunflower Oil (or other HEALTHY Oil) *2 cups Dried Fruit (see below). Preheat oven to 300oF.. To blended dry ingredients, add Water, then Honey, Molasses, Oil and Fruit. Pour batter about an inch thick into oiled Pans and bake 1 hr. Reduce oven to 200oF., leave door open slightly and continue to dry Bread for several hours. The LOWER the Moisture that is in the Bread, the LONGER that it will KEEP! NOTE: You can get these Ingredients from your local Food Coop and/or Health Food Store. If NEED be in an EMERGENCY, you could substitute other comparable and/or various other NUTRITIOUS Ingredients, if the ANY of above are NOT AVAILABLE!
    ...See More

recipe: re:recipe: do you need 'heart healthy recipes'...inside)

Q

Comments (20)
    My father has had a heart attack, and has to have a a low chloresterol diet. What do you suggest. Would this book be suitable. My mother is 78, and my father is 75. They both need some recipe's that are easy to put together. They do not need the stress, and may find it difficult, shopping, for the right foods.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Steve Perry recipe??

Q

Comments (5)
    Well then join in the discussion at the Steve Perry forum! ;-) Was asking for someone who posted about that book and Steve Perry's name being mentioned with it at amazon.com(I think). I did a search and Steve Perry does appear with that book but I can't get any more info than that. Someone else posted that she had the book and SP was not in there....so who knows? Perry Rulz..... Jonathan
    ...See More
  • yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Chicken-Avocado Sandwich Wrap

Ingredients:

1/2 C balsamic vinegar
    1/3 C olive oil
    1 T sugar
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    1/2 t salt
    1/4 t pepper
    6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 lg green bell pepper, quartered
    1 lg red bell pepper, quartered
    1 lg purple onion, cut into 3/4" thick slices
    2 lg avocados, peeled & sliced
    8 (10-in") whole-wheat flour tortillas

Avocado Mayo:

2 small avocados
    1/2 C mayo
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    1 T lemon juice
    2 T chopped fresh basil

Directions:

Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Place chicken breasts in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; pour 1/2 of vinegar mixture over chicken. Place bell pepper, onion, & avocado in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; pour remaining vinegar mixture over vegetables. Seal bags, & chill at least 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Remove chicken & veggies from marinades & discard marinades. Grill chicken & veggies, covered w/grill lid, over medium-high heat 20 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once. Remove veggies from grill when done. Cool; cut chicken & veggies into strips. For mayo: Peel avocados & mash in a small bowl; stir in mayo & remaining ingredients. Cover & chill. Spread tortillas with avocado mayo. Place chicken & veggies on tortillas; roll up. Cut in 1/2 diagonally. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Makes about 1 1/2 C.

• nhsuzanne
    16 years ago

Thought I would copy this recipe from Milkdud at the SS Forum.

WW Core Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 large bottle picante salsa
    2 TBS. taco seasoning
    onion, diced
    8-oz. FF sour cream
    I lightly browned the chicken, sauteed the onions, and placed all this in the crockpot. Pour the bottle of salsa over all, then sprinkle with taco seasoning, and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4. When it's through, I add the sour cream and stir and let it set for 30 mins. on "warm".
    You can add mushrooms, black olives, black beans, corn, cilantro, and more sour cream. I made brown rice Spanish rice, just adding some of the liquid from the chicken dish and more salsa, and a little red pepper.

• milkdud_2007
    16 years ago

Razzle-Dazzle Pork Chops (WW-Core)

4 pork chops
    1 pkg. onion soup mix
    1 regular can chicken broth

Turn crockpot on high (6 hours) or low (8 hours). You can brown the chops for 3-4 minutes in a skillet first. Mix the soup mix and broth and pour on top of pork chops in the crockpot.

I used boneless, lean cut chops. They were so moist and tender after 6 hours on high with lots of juice if you want to fix potatoes or brown rice to go with them. They smell heavenly while they're cooking, too!

• User
    16 years ago

Just got this one from my best friend -

Cream of Mushroom Soup

1 pound mushrooms, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
    3 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    2 onions, chopped
    1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    1 cup evaporated skim milk
    3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
    1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves, crumbled
    Freshly ground pepper to taste.

This creamy soup is especially satisfying in cold weather. you can also use it as a sauce over veggies or pasta, or as a base for casseroles.

1. In a medium saucepan, combine 3 cups of the mushrooms with 1 1/2 cups of the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor; puree, then return to the saucepan.
    2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Saute the onions, carrot and celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are wilted, about 10 minutes. Add to the mushroom puree in the saucepan, along with the remaining broth.
    3. In a small bowl, whisk the milk and flour until smooth; whisk into the mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly (do not let the soup boil). Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add the parsley, thyme, marjoram and pepper; simmer 5 minutes.

Per Serving: 157 calories, 4 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 3 mg Cholesterol, 190 mg Sodium, 25 g Total Carbohydrate, 4 g Dietary Fiber, 11 g Protein, 234 mg Calcium.

Makes 4 servings.

Points per serving: 3

I found a serving size to be 1 3/4 cup (if you divide the output into 4 equal servings).

Tip: Combine wild and cultivated mushrooms, or soak 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms in warm water and add them.

Servings - 4

Nutrition Info - Per Serving: 157 calories, 4 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 3 mg Cholesterol, 190 mg Sodium, 25 g Total Carbohydrate, 4 g Dietary Fiber, 11 g Protein, 234 mg Calcium.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mini Eggplant Pizzettes

INGREDIENTS:

1 eggplant, 3" in diameter, peeled & cut into 4 1/2" thick slices
    4 t olive oil
    1/2 t salt
    1/8 t ground black pepper
    1/4 C pasta sauce
    4 oz Canadian bacon (optional)
    1/2 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Brush both sides of the eggplant w/the oil & season w/the salt & pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet & bake until browned & almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Spread 1 T of pasta sauce on each eggplant slice. Top, if desired, w/the Canadian bacon & shredded cheese. Bake until cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes.

Yields: 4 servings

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Garlic-Roasted Chicken & Potatoes

INGREDIENTS:

8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
    10-12 small red potatoes, quartered
    1 t dried rosemary leaves, crushed
    1/2 t peppered seasoned salt
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    2 T olive oil
    1/4 C shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/4 C chopped fresh chives

Heat oven to 425. Arrange chicken & potatoes in ungreased 15x10x1" baking pan. In a small bowl, combine rosemary, seasoned salt, garlic & oil: mix well. Brush over chicken & potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake @ 425 degrees for about 40 minutes or until chicken is golden brown, its juices run clear, & potatoes are light golden brown. Sprinkle with chives.

(I was thinking if you don't eat potatoes, you might try substituting a different veggie. If you wanted to use cauliflower, I just would put it in about the last 15 minutes or so.)

• deemarie5500
    16 years ago

I made Milkdud's Salsa Chicken over the weekend and it was fabulous! Very easy and delish!

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't like black beans & will substitute pinto beans for them but am posting the recipe like I found it.

1 can Black Beans
    1 can Corn
    1 jar Salsa
    1/2 Brick LF or FF Cream Cheese (cut in chunks)
    4 Frozen Chicken Breasts

Cook all together except for cream cheese on high for 5-6 hours. In the last 1/2 hour, throw the cream cheese on top & let it melt.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Italian Pot Roast

8 servings
    WW estimated POINTS per serving 5

INGREDIENTS:

1 (2 1/2) lb boneless beef round roast
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1/4 t salt
    1/4 t pepper
    2 (8 oz) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
    1 (0.7 oz) pkg Italian Salad dressing mix

Slice roast in half; place in a 3 1/2 qt electric slow cooker. Add onion & remaining ingredients. Cover & cook on high setting 1 hour, reduce to low setting & cook 7 hours. Slice meat to serve.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Farmer's Market Salad

1 medium zucchini
    1 t fresh lemon juice
    1/8 t table salt
    1 piece corn on the cob, shucked
    1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
    1 T red onion, coarsely chopped
    3 T low fat vinaigrette, divided
    1 small wheat pita, without pockets

Trim ends of zucchini. Using a cheese planer, thinly slice zucchini horizontally into long ribbons. With a knife, cut ribbons in half lengthwise to make long strips. Toss zucchini with lemon juice & salt; set aside on paper towels.

Cut kernels from corn & place in microwave safe bowl. Microwave corn kernels on HIGH for 1 minute just to remove "rawness." Corn should still be crisp.

Gently combine corn, tomato, onion & half of vinaigrette.

Toast pita bread & cut into bite-size triangles.

To serve, mound zucchini & pita triangles on each serving plate; top with corn mixture. Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over salad & serve.

Serves 2

2 WW points per serving

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bistro Chicken Salad

2 C cooked penne pasta
    1 C cherry tomatoes, quartered
    4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
    1/2 C bottled FF Italian salad dressing
    1/3 C fresh basil, lightly packed & cut into strips
    1/4 C red onion, chopped
    1/4 C sun-dried tomatoes, dehydrated & reconstituted, chopped
    2 (4 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled or broiled, cut into thin slices

Toss all ingredients together except the chicken. Top pasta mixture with chicken. Serve warm or chilled.

Makes 4 servings

290 calories, 9g fat, 4g fiber

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Artichokes In A Garlic And Olive Oil Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz small uncooked seashell pasta
    2 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
    3 T butter
    2 cloves garlic
    1 sprig fresh basil, chopped
    1 (8 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained & quartered

DIRECTIONS:

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add seashell pasta, cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, & drain. Heat the olive oil & melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Mix in the garlic, basil, & artichoke hearts, & cook 5 minutes, until heated through. Toss with the cooked pasta to serve.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Baked Tilapia W/Tomatoes & Olives

6 Tilapia fillets
    1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
    4 sprigs fresh thyme
    3 tomatoes--peeled, seeded & chopped
    1/2 C coarsely chopped green olives
    1/4 t dried hot red pepper flakes
    2 garlic cloves--minced
    1/2 C finely chopped red onion
    1 T fresh lime juice

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a shallow baking dish large enough to hold the fillets in one layer. In a bowl, stir together the oil, thyme, tomatoes, olives, red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, & lime juice. In the prepared baking dish, arrange the fillets, skin sides down, season them w/salt, & spoon the tomato mixture over them. Bake the fish, uncovered, in the middle of the oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until it just flakes.

• deemarie5500
    16 years ago

Patti, is the crockpot lasagna something you can post here?
    Thx
    Dee

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crock Pot Lasagna

1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    2 t minced garlic
    2 8 oz cans crushed tomatoes
    1 1/2 t salt
    1 t dried oregano
    1 12 oz pkg Whole Wheat lasagna noodles
    12 oz cottage cheese
    1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
    16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large ckillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef, onion, & garlic until brown. Add the tomatoes, salt, & oregano & stir until well incorporated. Cook until heated through. In a large bowl mix together the cottage cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, & shredded mozzarella cheese. Spoon a layer of the meat mixture onto the bottom of the slow cooker. Add a double layer of the uncooked lasagna noodles. Break the noodles to fit into the crockpot. Top noodles with a portion of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layering of sauce, noodles, & cheese until all the ingredients are used. Cover & cook on low heat in crockpot for 6 to 8 hours.

(You can always used FF or lowfat cheeses)

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Post Note for Chicken Avocado Sandwich Wrap

We didn't use the 1 T sugar for the marinade & it was still delicious. I honestly don't think that you will miss it. This was a very, very good recipe.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

move up

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

forward

• wodka
    15 years ago

Speaking of recipes, does anyone have a good one for flank steak? I bought some for dinner, just thought we'd grill it, but not sure, haven't cooked any in a long time. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• User
    15 years ago

I got this from SparkPeople.com:

Asian Chicken Salad

Serves: 4

The fruit that tops this salad helps to make an already healthy dish packed with even more vitamins. Reprinted with permission by Public Health - Seattle & King County.

INGREDIENTS
    2 cups cooked chicken, skin removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
    4 cups cabbage, shredded
    1 cup mushrooms, sliced
    1 cup carrots, grated
    2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
    1 cucumber, thinly sliced
    3 green onions, thinly sliced
    1 mandarin orange or tangerine, divided into sections
    1/2 cup nonfat Asian or Oriental-style salad dressing
    black pepper

DIRECTIONS
    1. In a large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, cilantro, cucumber, and dressing. Toss well.
    2. Top with green onions and tangerine sections. Pepper to taste.

NUTRITION INFO
    Calories: 125.5
    Fat: 0.9 g
    Carbohydrates: 19.5 g
    Protein: 10.9 g

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

forward on

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Blueberry Oat Muffins

Ingredients

1 C Quaker Oats, quick or old fashioned, uncooked
    1 C low fat buttermilk
    1/4 C egg substitute or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
    2 T margarine, melted
    1 t grated lemon zest
    1 C all-purpose flour
    3 T granulated sugar or heat-stable sugar substitute equal to 3 T sugar
    1 t baking powder
    1/2 t baking soda
    1/4 t salt (optional)
    1 C fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)

Directions

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray 12 medium muffin cups with cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; mix well. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in egg substitute, margarine and lemon zest until blended.
    In large bowl, combine flour, sugar or sweetener, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add oat mixture all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over-mix.) Gently stir in berries. Fill muffin cups almost full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.

Yield: 1 dozen

Optional: 1/2 C chopped walnuts

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny's Mock Ice Cream Sandwich

Ingredients

1 rectangle graham cracker
    2 T Cool Whip Free

Nutritional Info

Fat: 1.8 g
    Carbs: 13.5 G
    Calories: 77.5
    Protein: 1.0 g

Spread cool whip on one half of graham cracker. Top with the other half. Place in freezer for about an hour (longer if you can wait!)

Number of Servings: 2

(This is from WW)

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

Two-Corn Polenta with Tomatoes, Basil and Cheese

2 tsp olive oil
    2 C chopped onion
    4 C fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
    2 C fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 C instant dry polenta
    ½ C Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
    ½ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 C chopped tomato
    ½ cup chopped fresh basil

Heat oil in dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, corn, and garlic; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Slowly add polenta, stirring with a whisk until polenta is thick (about 5 minutes). Add cheese, stirring to melt. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat; sprinkle with tomato and basil. Serve immediately. Serves 7 about 1 cup per serving.

Calories: 194 (20% from fat), Fat 4.3g, Protien, 8.9 g, Carb: 31.6 g, Fiber 4.6 g, CHOL 6 mg, sodium 457 mg, Calc 134 mg.

• chery2
    15 years ago

These are GREAT recipes! DH [who doesn't usually cook] had a craving for corned beef, which I'd never made. So he found one at the grocery store and tried grilling it. No good. Then he boiled it on low heat for about four hours. I added cut cabbage, onions, zucchini, and scant tomatoes to the boil. I cut off the fat when it was still cold, but I'm pretty sure it was REALLY high-calorie --- it sure tasted like it -- YUM-O!!

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thought that this sounded pretty yummy!

Low-Carb. Grilled Pork Chops

Ingredients

2 Tbs. vegetable oil
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
    1 shallot, crushed
    3 lb. pork chops (4 large chops)
    Chive Cream
    1 C. whipping cream
    1/4 tsp. lemon extract
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
    1/4 C. minced fresh chives

Directions
    In a shallow pan, stir together oil, salt, pepper, and shallots. Place pork chops in pan, coat with marinade on both sides, and let rest for 15 - 30 minutes. For cream: In a small saucepan over medium heat, place cream and lemon extract. Simmer until reduced by about 1/3; keep warm over low heat. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper, then stir chives into warm cream sauce. Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat broiler. Place pork chops on grill or under broiler, about 4" from heat, and cook until browned on one side. Turn and cook second side until lightly browned and slightly firm. Serve chops immediately, drizzled with Chive Cream.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Giardiniera Pickled Veggies Recipe
    HEALTHY RECIPES

This recipe serves: 16
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 8 minutes
    Ingredients
    2 cups distilled white vinegar
    2 tablespoons sea salt
    2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch by 2-inch julienne strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
    16 small pearl onions, peeled (about 1 cup)
    2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into 1-inch pieces (about half a small head)
    2 medium celery stalks, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
    1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into 1/3-inch pieces (1 generous cup)
    1/2 cup pitted meaty green olives
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    Cooking Instructions
    1. Pour 2 quarts of water into a 5-quart pot, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil.
    2. Add the carrots and onions; cook 2 minutes.
    3. Add the cauliflower and celery; cook 2 minutes.
    4. Stir in the red pepper and continue cooking until the vegetables are softened, but still quite firm, about 1 minute.
    5. Drain the vegetables well and transfer them to a bowl large enough to hold them comfortably.
    6. Cool to room temperature.
    7. When all the vegetables are cool, season them with salt, toss in the olives and drizzle the olive oil over everything.
    8. Toss well and let marinate at least one hour at room temperature or 1 to 2 days in the refrigerator before serving.
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving size: 1/2 cup vegetables
    Calories 47
    Total Fat 3 g
    Saturated Fat 0 g
    Protein 1 g
    Total Carbohydrate 5 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sodium 954 mg
    Percent Calories from Fat 53%
    Percent Calories from Protein 7%
    Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 40%

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tomato-Cucumber Salad

Ingredients
    1/2 C. olive oil
    3 Tbs. wine vinegar
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1 Tbs. crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp. each of thyme, oregano & basil
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp. Dijon style mustard
    1/8 tsp. pepper

Directions
    Combine all the ingredients, pour over sliced tomatoes or cucumbers, and marinate at room temperature for 1/2 hour.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tiny Zucchini & Onions

4 to 6 servings
    Start to Finish: 17 minutes

Ingredients

1 pound baby zucchini or 3 medium zucchini
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. Rinse and trim zucchini. If using medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/2-inch slices.

2. In a large nonstick skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or just until vegetables are tender.

3. Add walnuts, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings Per Recipe 4 to 6 servings Calories 106, Total Fat (g) 9, Saturated Fat (g) 1, Monounsaturated Fat (g) 3, Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 4, Cholesterol (mg) 0, Sodium (mg) 146, Carbohydrate (g) 6, Total Sugar (g) 1, Fiber (g) 1, Protein (g) 4, Vitamin A (DV%) 0, Vitamin C (DV%) 67, Calcium (DV%) 3, Iron (DV%) 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Baked Parmesan Tomatoes

A sprinkle of Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil transform tomatoes into the perfect summer side dish. Or try sandwiching them between slices of your favorite whole-wheat country bread.

Serves: 4
    Preparation time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

4 tomatoes, halved horizontally
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 450° F.

2. Place tomatoes cut-side up on a baking sheet. Top with Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil and bake until the tomatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
    Per serving:
    91 calories
    6 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono)
    4 mg cholesterol
    6 g carbohydrate
    3 g protein
    2 g fiber
    375 mg sodium
    363 mg potassium

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Polenta with Wild Mushroom Ragout Recipe
    HEALTHY RECIPES

This recipe serves: 4
    Preparation time: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 40 minutes
    Ingredients
    1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
    1 cup skim milk
    1 bay leaf
    cayenne pepper to taste
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    For the wild mushroom ragout:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon chopped shallots
    2 cups sliced wild mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, chanterelles)
    8 plum tomatoes, quartered and skinned
    1 sprig fresh tarragon, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Cooking Instructions
    For the polenta:
    1. Heat the olive oil in a pot over low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, keeping the heat low so the garlic doesn't burn.
    2. Add the milk, bay leaf and cayenne pepper. Increase the heat and bring the milk to a boil.
    3. Pour the cornmeal into the hot milk slowly, whisking constantly. After all the cornmeal has been added, cook 3 to 4 minutes more, stirring constantly.
    4. Remove the pot from the heat and slowly stir in the grated cheese.
    5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    For the wild mushroom ragout:
    1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
    2. Turn the heat to medium-high, add the mushrooms and sauté 2 minutes more.
    3. Add the tomatoes, tarragon, salt and pepper. Heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. If using canned tomatoes, simmer for 30 minutes to reduce the acidic taste.
    4. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
    5. To serve, place a portion of polenta on a warm plate and spoon on the mushroom ragout.

TAKE OUT BAY LEAF BEFORE adding anything else/or whisking milk so that you can remove it whole & don't have little pieces! Just a hint!!

Nutrition Facts
    Serving size: about 1 cup
    Calories 404
    Total Fat 12 g
    Saturated Fat 2 g
    Protein 20 g
    Total Carbohydrate 57 g
    Dietary Fiber 17 g
    Sodium 335 mg
    Percent Calories from Fat 25%
    Percent Calories from Protein 20%
    Percent Calories from Carbohydrate 55%

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ZUCCHINI RELISH

12 cups coarsely ground zucchini, unpeeled
    5 medium onions
    1 green bell pepper
    1 red bell pepper
    5 tablespoons salt
    3 cups sugar
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 teaspoon mustard seed
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    2 tablespoons celery seeds

Coarsely grind the onions and peppers. Stir in zucchini and salt. Cover and allow to sit for 3 hours. Drain and rinse well.
    Combine the remaining ingredients to make a syrup, boiling until sugar dissolves and mixture has thickened. Add to vegetables and cook for 20 minutes.

Ladle into hot canning jars, adjust seals. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Zucchini Crust Pizza

With zucchini baked into the crust topped off with a light sprinkle of veggies and cheese, this is a nutritious and delicious meal.

Ingredients
    3 C. shredded zucchini
    3/4 C. egg substitute
    1/3 C. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 small tomatoes halved and thinly sliced
    1/2 C. chopped onion
    1/2 C. julienned green pepper
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese

Directions
    In a bowl combine zucchini and egg; mix well. Add flour and salt; stir well. Spread on to the bottom of a 12 inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Sprinkle with mozzarella, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, oregano, basil and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until onion is tender and cheese is melted.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Recipe Name: Zucchini Tomato Tart

Ingredients:
    2 TB butter or margarine
    4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
    1 sm. onion, chopped
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1 refrigerated pie crust
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 cup fresh basil leaves
    2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
    olive oil

Preparation Instructions:
    Melt butter in skillet and sauté zucchini and onion until tender. Add seasonings. Place pie crust in tart or quiche pan. Place cheese on bottom of pan and spread basil leaves on top. Add zucchini and onions and layer tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with olive oil and freshly ground salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until brown.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Polenta w/Tomatoes

1/2 C yellow cornmeal
    1/2 C cold water
    1 1/2 C boiling water
    1/2 t salt
    1/4 C chopped onion (about 1 small)
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    2 T chopped fresh or 2 t dried marjoram leaves
    1 medium tomato, cut into 6 slices
    2 T finely crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese

Mix cornmeal & cold water in 2-qt nonstick saucepan. Stir in boiling water & salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens & boils; reduce heat. Cover & simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove heat. Cool to room temperature.

Spray a rectangle baking dish, 11x7x1 1/2" with nonstick cooking spray. Stir onion & garlic into cornmeal mixture. Spread in backing dish. Sprinkle with half of the marjoram. Cover & refrigerate at least 6 hours.

Heat oven to 425. Spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Cut cornmeal mixture into 6 rectangles; place on cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes. Place tomato slice on each rectangle. Sprinkle with remaining marjoram & the cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes longer or until tomato is hot & cheese begins to melt.

6 servings

Calories per serving 35
    Carb 4 g
    Fat 1 g
    Chol 5 g

• silversword
    15 years ago

bump

Sponsored