Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calorie Counting

Posted by silversword (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 13:20

I've started counting calories, something I told myself I'd never do. I found this really easy site called My Calorie Counter and started an online journal with them.

I'm not affiliated with them, and it's a free site. I never realized how many calories I was eating. Probably something like 3,000 a day. And I'm a medium boned female. Oops. It really helped me cut back, make healthier choices and logging my exercise showed me if I was doing enough to work off my calories.

It also helped me plan my treats better because I now know how many calories I have as "surplus" that I can use as treat calories.

I started exercising everyday and counting calories 4 weeks ago and have lost 5 pounds. Not a lot, but I'm going for slow and consistent weight loss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calorie Counting

Silversword,

I think it's been shown in medical studies that just writing down what you eat every day will cause people to lose weight just by the fact that they become aware of what they are eating.

I think the online journals are great. There is another one called Fitday that was pointed out to me on another thread. I prefer to use my own Excel spreadsheet which I can customize to my own preferences, but to each his own.

o

It really helped me. I didn't realize the four tortillas I was eating a day was adding 400 calories, not including the two cups of beans I'd put on them, and the cup of cheese. Yeash!!! Nearly all my calories for the day in one meal...

I started to use Excel but found this easier, as I can add my foods and choose from the foods they already have in their database, but like you said, whatever works for a person!!

o

Someone in a weight watchers meeting once said, tortillas are like 'flattened, really dense bread' and it kind of put me off of eating them pretty much permanently. It is so funny the little offhand comments I would hear in those WW meetings that would stick with me. I'd rather get a sandwich with wheat bread from the deli now, rather than a wrap.

Although I must say I do enjoy the flatout bread. It's like a tortilla, only really high in fiber and low glycemic index.

o

I don't know if I can give them up forever!!! I love tortillas! But I did cut out most breads, and don't eat them at all unless they are whole grain.

What is flatout bread?

o

Flatout is a name brand. At our local Publix and Kroger, I find it in the deli. It's 'wrap', 'tortilla' type bread, but high in fiber. Link to the info site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flatout Bread

o

Thanks!

o

Here is a pretty cool site and it's provided by the USDA, so there isn't any spam or advertising. You can plan a day's menu without even registering. Try it. Your tax dollars are paying for it, so why not.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Mypyramid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here