2 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 pound turkey Italian sausage links
1/2 cup EACH julienned sweet red, yellow and green pepper
1 T fresh basil - minced OR 1 teasp. dried basil
3 cloves minced garlic OR 1 1/2 teasp of minced garlic in a jar
1/4 teasp EACH dried oregeno, Dried thyme and caraway seeds
1 T olive oil
2 14 1/2 cans of diced tomatoes, drained
Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large nonstick skillet, brown sausage over med heat; drain and remove from skillet. Cut sausage into 1/4 inch slices. In the same skillet saute the peppers, basil, garlic, oregeno, thyme, caraway and sausage in olive oil until the peppers are almost tender, Stir in tomatoes. Cook and stir until heated through. Drain pasta; add to skillet and mix well.
5 (1 1/2 cup) servings. Each has 327 calories, 12 g fat (3 saturated) 33 g carb, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein
Diabetic exchange 2 veg, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe: Italian Sausage 'n' Peppers Supper

Thanks for the recipe Kathy. Have you tried it? I like those tried and true ones. I've never tried the turkey sausage because I heard it was not good. What do you think?

Anything with basil and red, green and yellow peppers can't be bad!

o

I like turkey sausage but have only had it in spaghetti sauce. This recipe sounded good to me but will take a trip to the grocery store first. I had something very similar to this at an Italian restaurant and it was great. The lady who posted this recipe said even her young son likes it. Kathy

o

Hey, if a kid likes it, then it can't be bad!

o

I am definitely trying this one - I wonder if I need the caraway seeds? Do you now what they taste like? Kathy

o

I love caraway seeds! I can't tell you what they taste like, but they have a bold flavor and I always put them in my weiners and sourkraut. I would definitely use them in this recipe and I intend to try it too.

o

Hey Beverly can I come for supper?? Oh boy a new seasoning to try. It is probably the only seasoning I don't have (unless you count horseradish). I will get the stuff Monday and have it for supper AFTER my doctor's appointment. I am living on green stuff (mostly) until then. Kathy

o

Kathy, come on down and we'll cook up some supper!

I've put the turkey Italian sausage on my grocery list so I can try the recipe this weekend. I hope I can find it in the grocery stores here. I know I can get turkey sausage but I'm not sure about the turkey Italian sausage.

o

Our Food Lions have the Italian turkey. If you can't find it I would use the regular - I am sure it would be tasty. Don't tempt me with traveling south! What is the temp there? Are the azaleas blooming? Have room for 2 dogs and a husband ???? (just kidding of course!) Kathy

o

Kathy, you won't believe this but it was warmer in NY and Chicago than it was here this morning. It was 30 degrees at my house. The azaleas won't be blooming here for quiet some time, but we plan to go to Mobile's Azalea Trail the last week in March.

Hey, it's sunny and it's supposed to get to 60 today so if the dogs can stay outside and you can leave the DH at home come on down! LOL One DH is enough!

o

Haha - I hear you on that one! Actually mine would be looking for fishing holes so he would not be too bad. He wants to go out to eat a lot so he is murder on the diet! It was warm yesterday but windy. Now it is cold and windy! The way gas prices are I will soon be riding a moped and forget about traveling anywhere. Kathy

o
I made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Beverly!!! I made this recipe for supper. See post on diet pals for details. Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here