look at antique stores, ride the trolley, walk down
Bourbon street (we didn't drink) have blackened fish
with bread pudding, and fly back.

We have done this before but the reason I tell this story
is that the day was really spoiled because I am so
over-weight. I hurt my knee getting off a trolley, didn't
do anything special, the weight was just too much
for my poor old joints, I guess. The pain really kept me
from walking comfortably. Ruined the trip, basically.
for my husband as well as me. (It isn't fun to be with
someone who is hurt when you are on vacation..)

I have about 100 pounds to lose. So I'm going
to salvage something from this trip and use it as my
bottoming out point. At this point, I just bought
some AHS meal replacement pkts on EBAy (similar to Medifast)
and plan to use them religiously. Zero tolerance starting
on Friday (after I return from a trip to my Aunt's).
I have recently retired and actually have done fairly well
losing weight for the first time in years, 9 pounds in
10 weeks mainly because of the lack of stress and not
having a vending machine nearby.

But as a result of this trip, I've come to the realization
that more desparate measures are called for. I hope to
report in on this forum. I didn't see any indication
that people report on how much they weigh on this forum.
Is that a no-no? I was hoping to use this as a place to
report my successes (I won't mention failures).

In any event, just posting even without the numbers should
help. If I sound desparate I am. To those of you who
are putting off losing the extra few pounds, don't get as
out of control as I have done. I have to tell you that
it is so much harder to lose 100 rather than 30. But I'm
going to do it. And now that I'm retired (and enjoy
cooking healthy), I think it will be easier to stay
on track after I reach my goal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hit bottom

Hello! Welcome welcome welcome!!!!! I once had 100 pounds to lose too and then it was 50 and now it is a little over 50. Don't think about how much you have to lose - take them one pound at a time. I don't post my weight because I feel I should be at goal and I am not. I hate to tell you this but losing weight is hard at any size!
You can post anything you want to! I don't think there are many nono's here - just a few Spike has for all the forums. Try those packets and if they don't work try something else but just keep trying. I guarantee with each pound you will feel better. Good luck and please hang around. We love new faces! Kathy

o

Welcome alicesRestaurant! I'm glad you have decided to join us. Yes, you can list your weight if you want to. I think I listed mine not long ago. If it helps you be more accountable...then post it!!! We have a great group of losers here at this forum! We help motivate each other.

o

Welcome!!!!
Join us, please. We don't care if you tell or keep it quiet - just post and tell us how you are doing, good, bad or ugly. We know how you feel. We are all here for each other. Rock bottom may be different to each of us but whatever the reason, you are here. We are here. Glad to see you posting. Feel free to join any of the threads here or start your own. I am part of Diet Pals - some do Weight Watchers, some do their own thing - doesn't matter. I too find the forum has been my refuge, my solace, my reporting in.
You may want to do a chart at home for yourself - starting weight, date. Put some small goals for yourself every few pounds. I am averaging now 1/2 pound a week - very slow but suits me just fine. It's moving and I'm moving slowly towards my goal.
If you need to talk, talk to us! I post from Scotland so I am usually on line a few hours ahead of some while other folk are on later.
There are lots of links from time to time in the threads too. I read and research everything I can and have found what works for me. Whatever you do - pat yourself on the back for just being here. The first step is always the hardest.
My husband has bad knees, bad back, bad shoulders...when we holiday we do what is comfortable together and if he tires, I get out a wee bit on my own. I wish he could do more but he does what is okay for him.
This is not a race to the finish - there is no finish - it's more a lifestyle change for the better.
We are glad you are here and look forward to getting to know you.
Welcome!

McPeg
(originally from Canada 5 years ago...to return in the next few years)

o
RE: Hit bottom...part deux

Hi AlicesRestaurant,
I just caught your response on the Medifast thread. Well, more HI YA from me - I am on prozac or something like it for life (damaged nerves now...) and doing not too bad overall (have my mood swings but get over them eventually) and my b'day is Feb 23. I gained 40 pounds over the last 10 years with horrible mood swings and t'heck with it all and drank and ate as I felt like it. It caught up with me. My eldest sister (whom I love very much) has gained a lot of weight, she is having problems with her knees, eats a lot of meats and generally not well at all. She is highly stressed most the time. I worry a lot about her and wish she would take better care of herself but the stress for her is ALWAYS there, ever since she left home. She is one of the reason's I started thinking about my weight. And, like you, I too want to enjoy things more. Last summer I got po'd with myself because I could not do as much in the garden. This year will be different.
Anyway, I blab a lot sometimes but it's my solace.
I look forward to getting to know you.
Cheers,
McPeg ... again!

o

Hi and welcome! I don't post here a lot because I have not been recently successful at loosing my weight. I initially lost eight pounds but I am at a standstill. I know it is because we eat out several times a week. Loosing weight is very difficult no matter how much you weigh but I know for a fact that the more you need to loose, the more overwhelming it seems to you, so the harder it is to actually start dieting. You have done a difficult part - just starting your diet. Good luck and hang in there!

o
RE: Hit bottom - total up to 25 lb loss - yea!

Checking in, it's been a while since I first posted in March. I have continued to lose weight little by little.
My total now stands at 25 pounds lost since January. I'm hoping to reach 30 by Christmas.

I'm not doing anything real special except I know I'm moving a lot more since I retired. My job had been mostly a desk job which was really "killing" me in more ways than one. I have always been an active type person so now with the time, I'm moving about a lot despite health problems. Hope this will continue. The weight loss pace is great because it is slow and sure, the turtle wins the race, right? I eat out a couple of times per week with a setback now and then but I like the setbacks. I feel they are helping me to "gel" at that particular point for a while until I move on .. the more likelihood that the weight is permanent rather than just water weight loss.

I guess after all is said and done, at least for me, I think the advice to exercise probably is a good one. That's basically what I'm doing with the extra moving in my gardening efforts and in my house cleaning. (I'm cleaning places that haven't been cleaned in years ..)

I also love vegetables so I try to have fresh broccoli, cauliflower, asparagas or big salad for lunch, very satisfying with olive oil topping and parmesan. I'm not counting calories yet, that will probably come later. For now, I've got real hope though I know I have to be in this for the long haul since I have at least 65 more pounds I want to lose.

--Alice

o

Amazing ... scale showed today that I had lost another 3 pounds. I'm now down 30 pounds from my peak. Bottom line: Yay!

Congratulations to everyone else for your hard work. Even those who have had some setbacks should be applauded. The main thing is to keep trying, don't give up. (I learned this when I quit smoking.) This dieting stuff takes energy but wow what improvement in quality of life can be had when losing the extra pounds!

my background details: BMI is 34 (instead of original 39). Have a long way to go but I feel great about my diet because the way I'm eating, I can see myself eating this way for the long term. Not counting calories or fat grams or carbs, etc. (Avoiding sugar.) Just eating healthy and trying to eat mostly fresh, not out of a package. It takes more time but is kind of fun and definitely worth it as far as the results on the scale. I'm vegetarian but I've been vegetarian for over 10 years and becoming one didn't make much difference as far as my out of control appetite. I've also been fairly active in my earlier life and my appetite has always been a problem ...

Not sure exactly why my metabolism and appetite seem to have changed. I _AM_ trying a lot of things, too many to mention here (in one post). I could probably write a book :) Will force myself to close so I don't write one here...

--Alice

o

Alice - congratulations on your loss!! Thats terrific!! My BMI is around 32 right now and my goal is 50 pounds. I recently started eating "clean" - no processed foods, as fresh as I can get. Your'e right - it does take more time but it is well worth the effort. Also cutting out added salt and using more spices and, most importantly, measuring my portions and drinking my water! I've lost 8 pounds in the first 8 days and feel great. I'm riding our stationary bike 5 miles every other day, which is a great help, as I know I couldn't do 5 miles on the treadmill right now! Good luck on your remaining loss! You'll do great!

o

Taken off the net:

BUYER BEWARE:

However, certain individuals including children, pregnant or lactating women, insulin dependent diabetics and those with compromised kidney function are advised to consult with their physician before beginning with the Herbalife diet or any weight loss program.

It is NOT recommended for individuals with high blood pressure to use some of energy products. It is always advisable to consult with a physician when changing your diet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here