Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diabetes

Posted by sandi (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 2:58

Just been told by Dr. that I'm pre-diabetes and need to lose @ least 10% of my weight soon! Very soon!! I am at 180#. Does anyone know where to begin with this? I don't go see the nutritionist for 2 weeks and would like to get started as soon as possible. If anyone has any information I could use I sure would appreciate the help.
Thanks so much!
Sandi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diabetes

For you, you should have your doctor refer you to a nutritionist. Your doctor may want you to do certain things with carbs (for example, he may prefer for you not to try an atkins type regimen since this can tend to tax the kidneys and may be something he wants you to avoid. He may prefer for you instead to follow a carb-counting model.).

Diabetes risk factors is one reason I try to stay on program with weight watchers.

Of the risk factors for Diabetes, Age and Family History cannot be changed.
Weight (BMI) and how active you are during a typical week are two of the risk factors we can control (as well as not smoking or quitting if you smoke).

So also speak to your doctor about adding activity into a typical week. Find out what kind they recommend.

In Weight Watchers, we typically start the eating plan first, and add activity in at about week 4.

o

Sandi,
I think the way to get started on a diet is to first start writing down everything you eat during the day, so you are aware of what you are eating. Until you talk to the nutritionist just stick with a balanced diet. You can find good diets on the internet.

As a diabetic, you will want to avoid certan carbohydrates that have high glycemic indexes. These cause your blood sugar to increase rapidly. Examples would include white bread, white rice, mashed potatoes, cakes, pies, etc. For carbs, stick with whole grain bread, fruit, whole wheat pasta, beans, peas, and other foods with low glycemic index.

I have found that exercise has a huge effect on my blood sugar. Try to take a walk or do some exercise after every meal to burn up the sugar and keep the glucose spike from going too high.

Eat breakfast and snack between meals. Try to eat less at one time and spread it out over the day.

o

Thank you so much for the info.
I do have an appt with Diabetes Education for self management on the 23rd & 4 consecutive weeks after.I hope I will be able to take it all in.
Sandi

o

I was told I was "prediabetic" two years ago and ignored it. Then in December 2008 I was diagnosed with diabetes. No more ignoring! I went back to Weight watchers 12/10/2008 and have lost 35 pounds so far. I also attended a diabetes management program on referral from my dr. They told me that WW is the only diet program they recommend. The biggest thing I've discovered is how valuable high-fiber foods are in both losing weight and helping with diabetes. They make you feel fuller because they go more slowly through the digestive tract. Fiber doesn't cause your glycemic index to spike as high. It's easy to find whole wheat pastas. Beans are good, as are vegetables.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neb Guide, Univ. of Nebraska

o

Hi ! My doctor puts his pre-diabetics (like me) on the Zone diet. It's more or less based on glycemic index. I thought I was eating a healthy diet: 3 fruits & 5 veggies per day, whole grain breads, cereals & pasta, lots of chicken, etc.
The Zone cut my fruit portion size way down & limited the sweet starchy vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, beets, carrots. It also almost eliminates grain products, though I can still have my daily bowl of oatmeal.
After being on the Zone for 2 weeks, I "cheated" & made myself 2 pancakes for lunch with just a tiny bit of syrup. Those pancakes went straight to my bloodstream & I had a big sugar crash that afternoon. Now I know: pre-diabetics just can't handle certain foods very well, even some high fiber ones.
If you are curious, look up the Zone on the internet. Even if you don't choose that particular diet, you will still learn a lot and will be better prepared to ask the nutrionist intelligent questions. Best wishes !

o

mommy,

You just reminded me of my dad, after he became type 2 diabetic.

His daily watermelon was nearly causing him to have to go on insulin, until he realized what he was eating.

He really doesn't eat some of the WW food; like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are only 2 WW points, but for him they are too heavy in carbs and simple sugars.

I think I will also start investingating a low-G-index eating plan. Is that what the Zone really is?

o

The book I read is called New Glucose Revolution. That one emphasizes the GI of the carbs, rather than counting carbs. Their theory is that you need carbs to keep you from getting hungry so they don't try to limit the amount, so much as the type. I was following that for a while but noticed I was eating a lot more than the 45-60 grams per meal suggested by the American Diabetes Association.

Then I started watching carbs, and that helped lower my glucose reading but makes it harder to get the recommended amount of fiber. Most of the high fiber foods have lots of carbs too. So then I have to take a teaspoon of fiber supplement once in a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Diabetes Association

o

Hi Again!
Does anyone know of a web site where I can calculate how many carbs I eat for the day? I know there are sites that will help with calories but these carbs are frustrating!
This whole Diabetes thing is frustrating!!But I will figure it out somehow.If you can give me any help I would appreciate it.You guys have already been great with a newbie to this stuff.........THANKS!!
Sandi

o

Sandi,

Silversword posted a link to My Calorie Counter. She seems to have good luck with that. I'm pretty sure that will count carbs and I believe FitDay.com will too.

The spreadsheet I sent you will do it as well. Did you still not get that?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Calorie Counter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here