Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hungry before bed

Posted by ms_minnamouse (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 1:26

How do I stop getting hungry when I'm trying to get to bed? It's really annoying! Sometimes I can't eat a large dinner or many snacks and some times I can but I keep getting hungry anyways. I try filling foods but they don't seem to help.

And I can't stand those foods that are "created" to make you feel full because they all taste like chemicals to me. I'm talking about ones with artificial sweeteners, etc.

I also can't eat or drink things that will keep me awake.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hungry before bed

Do you eat breakfast? I find that eating breakfast does help to keep me from getting hungry later in the day.

What do you mean when you say you eat "filling" foods? Are you eating lots of vegetables and high fiber foods? I think that helps, too.

o

I used to have good luck with 2 slices of 40-cal-per-slice toast, with all-fruit jam on them.

o

I was one who had to have small meals all day long, including at night, in the past. I have what's called "reactive hypoglycemia," meaning that when I eat carbohydrates/sugars/starches my body responds quickly to process those carbs. I get a brief energy boost, but then lose it shortly afterward and begin to feel hungry and in need of more. So, small meals helped me managed that situation, but also kept the cycle going.
The only way I've been able to avoid getting hungry so often is to just cut out the things that trigger hunger signals in the first place. So I started the Atkins diet and limited myself to 15-20g of non-sugar carbs per day (about 12-15g come from non-starchy vegetables; the rest from dairy products like cheese or from eggs or salad dressing).
I've now started moving up the ladder, adding a few more carbs in. I'm doing 20-25g per day, still mostly from vegetables. I never have actual hunger pains anymore, so it is much easier to make it through the evening without snacking on anything. The only issue now is "social snacking." If I'm around others who are eating late, sometimes I want to, to be involved, but it's not because I'm actually hungry.

o

Don't worry about being hungry. It will pass. Oftentimes hunger is just a conditioned response. Your body is used to eating at a certain time, and you feel hunger then. If you wait it out you will get past it.

o

I sometimes get that "want something but not sure what" kind of feeling. What I do is get busy using your hands in such a way that makes eating food impossible. Mop floors, clean bathrooms, fold laundry, iron clothing, stuff like that or go to bed early. I have trouble sleeping at times, so reluctantly, I will take a chunk out of a tylenol pm and use that to relax me enough to sleep.

Kitt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here