Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Learning to Cope with Diabetes

Posted by betty_the_villages (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 06 at 21:08

If you are intersted in learning more about living with Diabetes, please write me. I am interested in the same. I am learning a lot.
Next month I am signed up in a class here at a hospital with a Dietician to learn more about eating and living with this diseare.
I will be so happy to pass on anything I am learning.
God Bless!
Just email me.

bettebee2ATcomcast.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Learning to Cope with Diabetes

I am a nurse who is referring this to 2 of my patients.

Thanks

Tikanas

o

Diabetic II. for a year now. Had done well so far and lost 40 lbs. From a size 16 to a size 8 but now I seem to be struggling a lot more to stay on target and I seem to be hungrier more. Any suggestions or ideas??

o

Hello,
I have been a Diabetic II for about ten years. I am 59 and weigh about 143 pounds. Dream/need to get down to and maintain around 110. I am just a little over five feet tall, so this is probably a little more than I should weigh. I take three types of pills for diabetes, two types of anti-depressants, a cholesterol lowering drug (Vytorin) and Femara, an anti-cancer drug for five years after five years of Tamoxifen I already finished. Lots of pills to take! I have tried many diets and have some success with each, but have a devil of a time staying with anything long term. Like to cook and eat. Am a nervous eater and like to eat all the time.
I've heard that many people with diabetes people die of some kind of heart disease. The South Beach diet was written by a cardiologist and is supposed to be great for diabetes patients. Wow, the first two weeks sound brutal. Can't even get the guts to start!
Getting off most of the medicine is a goal, and the best way to do that is to lose weight and be active. Anyone heard of anyone getting off all/most of the diabetes medicines? Any encouraging advice?

o

YES!! I am a nurse and have had many patients get off of all antidiabetic agents through diet management and exercise.

ALL programs require discipline. The first 2 weeks of South Beach are over quickly and that general plan is great for diabetics. What scares you the most? WW core program is similar to So. Beach. Maybe the social support would ease your fear.

Do you have a portion guide? a food scale, measuring cups and spoons? Although South Beach does not require portion CONTROL per se, it pays (in these of Supersizing) to learn what a "real" portion is and how to identify it.

You might have this info already, but if not, I would be happy to send it to you. You can do this!

Tikanas

o

Tikanas,
Do you have a portion guide? a food scale, measuring cups and spoons? portion CONTROL per se, it pays (in these of Supersizing) to learn what a "real" portion is and how to identify it.

You might have this info already, but if not, I would be happy to send it to you. You can do this!

I do not have a portion guide and no food scale.....I need these very much! I will look for a food scale.
I need any information you can send me.THANKS!
bettebee2@comcast.net

o

Betty, I will email you on the weekend and send you EVERYTHING!! I teach this info everyday and I am happy to share.

Tikanas

o

Hi Tikanas,
You are very giving and supportive. What scares me about SB is I don't want to be *hungry* and want to grab anything and eat it and ruin the diet right away. I don't want to bother my doctor with asking about adjusting my meds when my blood sugar level changes, hopefully DOWN!
I think I have all the items I need. Tell me more!
Thank you so much. A miracle to think of getting off most meds!

o

I don't have Diabetes, but just stumbled upon this article about a new drug called Byetta which is helping lots of Diabetics lose weight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Byetta article

o

Hi Tikanas,
Been going through These Diabetes postings hoping to find all the info I can about it.I, too just found out I have type2.I am 65 @ 180lbs. If you read this I would really appreciate all the help & Info I can get together..I really don't know where to start!
Thanks,
Sandi

o

Tikanas,
I best give you an e-mail address...I'm also new at this posting!!
harley2ride62@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Sandi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here