Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace diets with correct eating

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 18:40

I lost forty pounds plus some thirty years ago and have never gained it back. Hubby on the other hand doesn't gain but just didn't have any incentive to lose. After watching the PBS special on THE HIDDEN Epidemic and finally realizing that his HDL was indeed a problem, he changed his mind. Using Lisa Youngs book The Portion Teller and a cookbook by Zonya Foca, he is finally losing weight and even I have dropped a few more pounds. It seems almost effortless. Just a matter of not fibbing on how much you eat. If your PBS station carries it, I highly recommend Zonya BItes or check her website at www.zonya.com. I love that cookbook but she has recipes there for anyone to sample.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace diets with correct eating

or go to weight watchers..that's what ww's is all about.

o

Ruthie is right that is what WW's is all about~~they do not call it a diet it is a Life Style change. And on WW's nothing is forbidden. You just need to watch your portion sizes.

o

Or use a nutrition tracker like DietPower or SparkPeople to keep track of your calories, nutrients, & exercise. Thanks for the tip about Zonya Bites. I'd not heard of it before. The white beans & penne dish on her web site looks like a great Lenten meal. Hmmm, in fact, I'll try it tonight!

BTW, I'm happy to call my daily eating habits a diet. My diet consists of healthy foods in reasonable portions. In the long run, semantics mean nothing; action is everything.

o

I lost 14 lb a couple months ago, I have maintained the loss the same way I lost it by making better food choices such as veggie sticks with my lunch rather than chips and I found sticks keep you full longer and help in the bathroom dept. lol I like my sandwiches opened face or make my own lunchables. Portions are under control. My so and I go out to eat we order one entree and an extra soup or salad, I just tip like I ordered two meals It has been so easy. I still lurk and like both ww and ss sites, you all give each other such kind support. Joann

o

truthfully.......Most plans are just that anymore..they are not diets but assistance in making the right choices...and truthfully, I think lots of people need the help...but also the motivation of a plan...Nearly all the plans I have studied are about eating right, and making the right choices.

o
Weight Watchers Calculator

I have been looking for the little electronic WW Calculator. I have found them on Ebay at three times the price from WW meeting. The problem is they are out and for some reason it is going to take them 3 mo. to get them in again. Any suggestions. I talked to a lady at one of the meetings and she uses hers all the time. It is about 3 inches square.

o
WW Electronic Calculator

I have been looking for the little electronic WW Calculator. I have found them on Ebay at three times the price from WW meeting. The problem is they are out and for some reason it is going to take them 3 mo. to get them in again. Any suggestions. I talked to a lady at one of the meetings and she uses hers all the time. It is about 3 inches square.

o

Ages ago they had an online copy at Dotties and I am sure I still have a copy.

o

I definitely agree with lifestyle changes, but I have to admit I agree with diets, too. 2 years ago I started an 800 calorie a day diet and lost 87# in 7-8 months. I then transitioned off the diet to regular food, but continued my small portions and still to this day I eat 5 small meals daily. To date I have lost 103#. So I have to say that a diet got me started, but that a permanent life style change and exercise have helped me maintain.

o

Congrats onyxdaily....that's a lot of hard work...what was an average 800 calorie day made up of in the way of food...that sounds so restricted that it makes me wonder what you ate?

o

I started the diet doing a program called medifast. I would drink a shake at 6am, oatmeal at 9am, soup or tuna salad at noon, protein bar at 3pm, then 4-5 ounces of lean meat plus a vegetable serving at 6pm, then another shake at 9pm (or bedtime). All the meals except the 6pm dinner were meals I purchased from medifast, but when I transitioned off their program, I knew I wanted to lose more weight, so I pretty much eat the same things now, just with products I buy at the store. I replaced the shakes with either 8oz skim milk or 8oz lite soy milk. I replaced the oatmeal with yogurt or kashi cereal. For lunch I usually eat packaged tuna, canned chicken or lite cottage cheese, plus veggies, for the protein bar I eat different low carb low fat store bought bars. I still eat lean meat and veggies for supper. I know it may not sound like alot of food, but really I felt and still feel like I'm always eating. It's just a plan that really works for me because I pretty much never get hungry so I have much less tendancy to snack on something that I shouldn't have.

o

That sounds like a good plan to me...and I have learned that you have to figure out what is best for yourself for it to work....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here