Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diet spreadsheet

Posted by harold14370 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 09 at 18:21

Hi, fellow dieters
I have just been diagnosed with diabetes and also need to lose weight. I have been looking for a dieting spreadsheet After doing some googling, I didn't find quite what I wanted. I envision something that would have a library of common foods and their calories/carbs which will allow me to easily calculate the quantities for each meal, perhaps by entering the description of the food and have the spreadsheet look up calories and carbs. The spreadsheet should also let me record my weight each day and blood sugar readings. I think I can make my own, if necessary, but don't want to reinvent the wheel. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diet spreadsheet

Hello, Harold,

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard from several others that FitDay.com has a great program for tracking your diet and weight. I think it does calculate total calories and carbs based on what you enter. I'm not sure about blood sugar readings. Have you checked that out yet?

If you can't find what you're looking for, then there must be a need for something new. Consider making it yourself and then offering it to others. FitDay and SugarFreeSheila both have developed their own tracking systems. I think FitDay is free, but SFS sells hers in a workbook format and makes enough off her book sales to support her website. You could start a career sideline with an original product! (Can you tell I work in the publishing industry?)

Best wishes to you!

o

Thanks, eklektos.

That Fitday is a dandy site. It lets you do the calculations online and has a very extensive database of foods. It calculates a whole lot of stuff like carbs, proteins fats and calories as well as percent daily values of all sorts of nutrients. You do have to sign up and give them your email address, so I hope I don't get too much spam.

It does lack a few features I was looking for, like being abot to track data for each meal, not just the entire day. This would help correlate swings in glucose through the day. I didn't see a way to record data like glucose reading, either.

SugarfreeSheila sells books and a paper workbook. I didn't see an electronic spreadsheet there.

I think I might take a crack at putting together my own spreadsheet.

o

I finished making my spreadsheet. If I say so myself, it's 10 times better than any of the free spreadsheet templates you can get off the internet.

If anyone is interested, I could email it to you. I tried to post it on the Microsoft excel template page but they wouldn't accept anything written in versions before Excel 2007. I'm sure not going to upgrade to 2007 just so I can post a template on their web site.

If you're afraid of posting your email here, you could just create a new hotmail account or something like that, so the spam, if any, would not clutter your regular email.

o

Hi Harold,
I'd sure love to have it e-mailed to me as I'm just stumbling my way through this diabetes stuff.
Thanks,
Sandi

o

Hi, Sandi

Maybe I'm a little technically challenged, but if your email address is available somewhere on this site, I don't know how to find it.

o

Can't very well get help without an e-mail address!!
harley2ride62@yahoo.com
Thanks, Sandi

o

Add me to the new dibetic needing help would love the spread sheet list.

Bearsdesigns@aol.com

thanks a million
Sherry

o

Hi Harold,
The link I posted to My Calorie Counter allows you to track each meal as well as daily. It also tracks exercise and has averages and goal setting. It works pretty well!

o

Good for you, Harold, for making it yourself!
And see, you've already got a following. Should we watch for you on the HSN channel? (I'm only half teasing--I hope you find your spreadsheet works exactly for what you need, and that it helps many others in the process.)

o

Thanks, Eklektos. I'm having fun tinkering with the spreadsheet and learning more about Excel as I go. As soon as I figure out how to make dynamic charts with the OFFSET function, it's gonna be awesome:)

o

Hi Harold,
If you wouldn't mind I would like your spreadsheet.

Thanks, Jackie.
jhoege@merr.com

o

Hi Harold,I'm sorry I didn't give you my e-mail address the first time around, but I would really like your spreadsheet too.
Thanks,
sandi
harley2ride62@yahoo.com

o

I just sent them out to Jackie and Sandi. I sent one to Sandi before, but it apparently vanished into cyberspace. Let me know if there is a problem and shoot me an email if you have any trouble with it.

This is still the old version. The dynamic charts are kicking my butt, but when I figure that out, I can send you the upgraded one.

o

I am interested also...

silversplinter@hotmail.com

Thanks bunches,
Kitt

o

harold, would you be so kind as to send me a copy of the spreadsheet. thanks in advance.
unitedrealty35@bellsouth.net

o

Hi Harold,
I don't know if the offset function is still giving you trouble, but here's a little info guide if you need it.

Enter the following data into a blank Excel worksheet:

A1: Name B1: Dept C1: Age
A2: Henry B2: 501 C2: 28
A3: Stan B3: 201 C3: 19
A4: Mary B4: 101 C4: 22
A5: Larry B5: 301 C5: 29

Enter the following formulas into cell E2 (or any available blank cell):

=OFFSET(C2,2,-1,1,1)

C2 The referenced cell.

2 Indicates the number of rows to move. Positive numbers mean move down, and negative numbers mean move up.

-1 Indicates the number of columns to move. Positive numbers mean move to the right, and negative numbers mean move to the left.

1 (second last value) - (Optional.) Indicates how many rows of data to return. This number must be a positive number.

1 (last value) - (Optional.) Indicates how many columns of data to return. This number must be a positive number.

Examples:
When you use this formula, the OFFSET function returns the value of the cell that is located two rows down (2) and 1 row to the left (-1) of cell C2 (which is cell B4). The value in cell B4 is "101". Therefore, the formula returns "101".

If you want to email me the spreadsheet I'd be happy to tinker with it for you, and I'd like to look at it anyway! I love Excel and am an experienced user (my geek is showing!)

silver_sword808@yahoo.com

o

Thanks Silversword. Yeah, I had all that info but sometimes you make some little error and can't find what you did wrong. I eventually did master the dynamic charts and got that working. I'll send you out a copy anyway. Maybe you will be able to think of a way to make it better.

o

Sure, no problem. I love spreadsheets!!

o

Well Harold, your spreadsheet looks pretty darn good to me! I have to admit, not being diabetic myself the whole glucose thing confuses me.

I would lock the cells to prevent overwriting, but that's about it.

o

Hm. Well, if it confuses you it would probably confuse others as well. It made sense to me at the time, but it often turns out that way when I write something. I appreciate the feedback. I'll see if I can try to make it more self-explanatory.

o

Hi Harold,

I would like to try your spreadsheet.

Thanks,
Joe

jspears47@gmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here