SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Kick-off to weight-loss (cleanse/detox?)

theresse
12 years ago

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum but I haven't heavily researched this yet (unlike most topics). I spend FAR too much time googling stuff and this time thought I'd come to the beloved gardenweb first and just come right out and ask, rather than doing extensive searches and googling first!

Do you recommend any after doing your own research?

Read on for more info only if interested:

It's diet time for me. Have been steadily gaining weight for years without the motivation to lose it (even with a thousand good reasons). I'm under a tremendous amount of stress from raising 3 energetic boys and struggling greatly in my marriage (sorry if TMI) and so am also battling depression, which of course doesn't hurt with weight-loss. As some of you are aware, it's a vicious circle! Am trying to find a good shrink (haha - more TMI) and won't consider meds without one - and am not sure I'd consider them even with one. Am open though. Usually the only thing that works re. dieting is an event coming up and sheer fear of not looking as I think others remember me (!) and well lookie here...an event's coming up this summer. And then, needless to say, I feel a lot better (when I don't look like crap, and I feel stronger and slimmer and more confident).

I'm considering starting up Weight Watchers again (have done it a few times over the years with relative success) though this time thought I'd try it online instead of going in to meetings which I don't love, at all. But before I start - if I don't just watch what I eat and do it on my own - I'd like to start off doing some sort of cleanse/detox/juicing diet or something like that. I've never one and I thought that it would be good cause if I could find one that's not harmful and doesn't require an obnoxious amount of work/planning, I'd be getting nutrients while also shrinking my stomach, thus upping my chances of success re. watching what I eat, afterward (usually if I start losing weight rapidly at first, I do better with it in the long run; slow starts don't work as well I've noticed).

Other semi-related info about me: I'm 42, have 3 kids and live in the rainy NW. I don't smoke, I don't drink much...I do drink a lot of coffee (can't imagine how I'd survive without it but I'd be willing to try if I had to). I don't belong to a gym and hopefully never will again. I'm not much into exercise but do like walking, hiking and biking (no bike racing but I enjoy very long rides at a decent speed). I have an elliptical machine in my bedroom that I rarely use but would like to again (maybe using music or TV?) and I've only ever taken a few yoga classes in my whole life. I'm about to order a big, plush area rug for my living room (old house w/ all hardwood floors) and don't laugh but half the reason is so I can start looking at yoga DVDs on our new flatscreen TV, using that rug as a nice soft place to do so - along with maybe a yoga mat). I thought yoga would be good cause it'd involve stretching this aging body (and I feel the aging these days!) while also is known to help with breathing and stress-reduction.

Thanks very much!

Comment (1)

Sponsored