SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

9 lbs gone in 3 weeks with High Carb diet!

lydia1959
15 years ago

I've struggled with my weight most of my life, but the past 5 years have been really hard due to a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. Anyone that is hypo knows your metabolism slows down and it becomes next to impossible to lose weight. I tried low carb, low GI, low calorie, the Blood Type diet, the Hibernation diet, etc. A couple months ago in desperation I even had the 'ear staples' put in!

I had read some good reviews about Olga Raz's "Bread For Life" diet and decided to give it a try. Got the book used on Amazon.com for about $5.00. Started the diet the 2nd of Feb. and in a week I had lost 4 1/2 lbs! 2nd week 2 1/2 lbs, and the last week 2 more lbs.

Here's a little more about the diet. Women should eat 8 to 12 pieces of light whole grain bread (men get 15), eat every 3 to 4 hours, take 2 - 3 tablespoons of olive oil daily, meat 3 to 4 times a week (eat no bread in that meal), 1 piece of fruit or a low fat yogurt daily. Low fat cottage cheese is okay as well as small amounts of lower fat cheeses. No sugar. Unlimited vegetables (except for corn and potatoes). You can eat your bread as sandwiches, but are limited to only a thin slice of meat, thin slice of spread (mustard, low fat mayo, etc.), then as many vegetables as you like. Tuna is okay as well. The second phase of the diet (after 1 or 2 weeks on phase 1) you can begin substituting items for your bread... you can now eat potatoes, pasta, rice, crackers, etc. You can drink most any thing that is calorie free (including coffee, diet soda) and occasionally alcohol.

The pros of this diet are: You eat often, there is no calorie counting, easy to eat out, it seems to work well. I have not exercised, although the diet is said to work better if you do.

Cons are: You will get tired of so much bread the first week, but then you can move to phase 2 which is easier. I also had a mild headache off and on the first 2 weeks.

I know there are a lot of low carb advocates here, but I never had much success with low carb diets. I'd lose a couple lbs. the first week... then not lose any. I'm not a big meat eater anyhow... so the high carb lifestyle suits me better.

Can I stay on this plan the rest of my life? I don't know. I like to think I can. I have about 50 lbs. to lose.

If you want to try this diet, I suggest you buy the book (or borrow from your local library). A lot of the websites describing it are inaccurate.

I'd love to hear any other successes with this diet.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County