Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Atkins, Splenda, and potential problems

Posted by Alisande (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 04 at 13:44

I first encountered Splenda (sucralose) in Atkins shakes and protein bars. Now it's all over the place. Everywhere I shop, huge displays of low-carb foods have sprung up, all featuring this sweetener.

Always suspicious of new chemical "foods," I looked up sucralose on the Internet. There's plenty of reason to be cautious. I'm wondering what the long-term effects will be. And that's not even mentioning aspartame...

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Atkins, Splenda, and potential problems

I've used artificial sweetners for years. I'm no chemist, but I do have many friends who are! They say Splenda is the safest to cook with and add to hot drinks. Some sweetners chemical properties change dramatically when heated; this one doesn't seem to.

I don't know, there are so many foods to be afraid of if you start hunting. Mad cow beef, metal-laced fish, heck---even chicken's getting a bad rap now. And let's not even go to veal town!

Fruits and veggies are sprayed with enhancers and waxes before being brought to market and produce from out of the country has the potential of carrying strange insects and infections.

Eat, drink, and be merry---for tomorrow the food will surely kill ya!

Tongue firmly planted in cheek here......

o

I think everything has some potential to harm us (natural or unnatural)...what they generally don't tell you is that most of the time, you have to use mass quantities of the substance (whatever that is) to cause the serious long-term harm that it's capable of (if that makes any sense).

I "encountered" splenda awhile back, when a friend who was trying to cut sugar found it. I can't "do" aspartamine (I feel sick to my stomach less than 10 min after ingesting it), but splenda didn't seem to have that effect, so I do use it in moderation (two packets in my breakfast shakes every morning), though lately I've been a bit sick to my stomach, so I might quit using it for a few days and see if that's the cause. And I'll occasionally add it to cooking, though anything baked gets real sugar. I tend to be of the mind that a little real sugar won't hurt you, as long as it's kept to a "little". ;-)

DF is doing Atkins...he's drinking one diet soda with splenda per day, and I made him some chai tea with one packet last night, but otherwise, he's not had the need for it at all on Atkins - I haven't made anything that needs "sweetening", really.

Other than that, I think the smartest thing we can do is learn to like things a little less sweet. I learned to like my tea black, and just got used to eating foods that weren't as sweet (or were naturally sweet). So I really don't have much of a need for sweeteners - I could probably even get used to drinking my shakes without, if I had the desire to. :-)

o

I don't know a lot about these, but there was someone on another forum who felt that Splenda gave her a brain tumor. I don't know. But, most doctors who have anything to do with healthy lifestyles will most likely tell you that any, or all, of these are bad for us.

Their tests show weird things happen in animals-----but---how much do they give these animals------probably hundreds of times more the amount as what we would use in diet drinks and other diet products.

Again, I don't know, but I drink the diet sodas. And, sometimes, I worry. Would just like to go to either tea or water.

o

I can't do aspartame either...even one hard candy would give me bad joint pain.

Other than that, I think the smartest thing we can do is learn to like things a little less sweet.

Yes, I think that's key. It's really not all that hard. After years of limiting carbs, carrots taste sweet to me, and even some nuts. Atkins bars taste way too sweet to me, to the point where they're unpalatable. (Not to mention all that saturated fat!) And believe me, I was a sugar addict for most of my life.

As for many foods being harmful, that's true. I think the common denominator is a deviation from natural methods. When we interfere with nature, we usually get in trouble. Man may have been designed to eat meat, for instance, but not the way it's presented to us after being messed with on the farm and in the processing plant.

I feel about laboratory created sweeteners and other food items the way I do about brand new pharmaceuticals: suspicious. Science, particulary medical science, has a long history of oops events, such as the recent hormone replacement therapy disaster. I don't know how many doctors I had to argue with about taking HRT. They pushed it and pushed it because it was "perfectly safe" and would keep me healthy. And then....oops!

It's really necessary to keep informed and look out for ourselves.

Susan

o

ROFL Wild Chicken! We must laugh to keep from crying!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here