Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finland's weight control program for children

Posted by Wild_Chicken (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 04 at 13:09

Finland's Fight Against Fat
12:50 PM PST on Wednesday, February 4, 2004
KING 5 NEWS--SEATTLE

Children at the cutting edge of Finland's fight against fat. On the playground of their school near Helsinki it may be freezing, but they're not allowed to sit around inside. At the end of every lesson there's a compulsory exercise break.

School lunches are free, and the only option for the kids.

School lunches are free, and the only option for the kids.
Fatty snacks like crisps and chocolates and fizzy drinks are banned.

There's only skimmed milk to drink, and if they're still hungry crisped bread and low-fat margarine to fill them up. It's all eaten at their desk, with teacher playing a key role in educating their palates.

"We never talk about hamburgers or these sorts of things, or pizzas or something like that," said teacher Henna Pirskanen.

A close eye is kept on the children's weight. Every pupil is weighed once a term, and if the teachers are worried about them getting too fat, they'll be sent to see the nurse, who checks they're having a balanced diet.

"If you ask people in the surveys, they say 'Yes, of course we know it, but it's so difficult in real life because of what food industry does, what catering does. We would like it to be easier for us'. So government has to intervene," said Pekka Puska of the Finnish National Health Institute.

Finnish families have taken the government's advice, attending evening classes together.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finland's weight control program for children

Thanks for the info, beege.

I just got back from my internist (who is also a pediatrician), and his nurse told me they are seeing more and more overweight children who are at risk for diabetes. He blames it on poor diet and inactivity.

It's hard to say what should be done at this point in the United States; however, I feel there is way too much junk food available to children in schools.

o

Our state is getting rid of sodas and the candy machines in the schools. I think Finland's plan is a tad too controlling, but, if children don't learn these good eating habits early----then many become overweight.

o

I totally agree with what they are doing as far as the diet is concerned and would like to see it implemented here. OUr children and grandchildren are being done irreparable harm with what they are being allowed to eat.

I agree with the exercise only up to a point. When it is cold outside they need a gym in which to exercise instead of being forced to go outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here