Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diet Pals Feb 8 - Feb 14...........

Posted by MaryAnnTX (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 04 at 12:01

Good morning everyone! Hope your weekend is going well!
I found a neat website that has nutritional information for over 18,000 foods and for over 200 restaurants. Check it out, diet facts.
If I'm hungry for something that I don't have at home, I usually search for the nutritional information online so I can see how many WW points it has. This website makes the search a little easier.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diet Pals Feb 8 - Feb 14...........

Neat site. I noticed one of the listings advertise sugar free Tang. Blech. I recall the stuff of the '60s. Can't ever imagine drinking that stuff again! It's been a not too bad weekend. Have eaten well, stayed on track. Tomorrow is my weigh day...I expect to be 'holding' my current weight of last week and I am happy about that because my clothes are loose and have received lots of comments about my weight change (****GRIN!*****).

This is not a race nor a competition. It is me feeling much better about myself. I CAN see myself in the future smaller. I have come this far and I WILL reach my goal and learn to maintain it.

So tomorrow I step on the scales. Am I concerned?
No.

I have faith in my choices last week. I look forward to this weeks' fruit salad and yogurt lunches, low fat meat choices. My biggest treat, but not everyday, is a flavoured low fat milk latte. Not chocolate, not sweets. A really nice hot cuppa to sip and relish.

It's only been 5 weeks so far and I look forward to following this road further. Can't wait to see where things shift next. I laugh sometimes because this xmas I got new bras, from home with lovely padded shoulder straps. I think I am shrinking there too...

What is soooo different this time? Third time a charmer? First time doing this it seemed everything took forever to get anywhere, second time the same. It's different this experience. I have no idea where time is going. I just feel better. It is propelling me forward to keep with it but find new things to enjoy, rediscover old foods in new ways. Getting accustomed to healther portion sizes and realizing I feel better not being 'stuffed'.

I know I blab a lot, this forum has been my therapy. I talk to myself while I talk to you. I am sooooo glad to share this with you and I enjoy reading your posts.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

McPeg

o

I enjoy listening to you talk to yourself, McPeg! LOL
I have done well this weekend. Last Wednesday when I weighed and I had gained 3 pounds, I felt so stuffed and miserable. Today, after eating correctly since last Wed., I feel slim. It's a great feeling. I decided to go shopping for some new jeans. I took 3 pair into the dressing room and all 3 were too large! So I got a size smaller and they fit perfectly!

Did you read in our last Diet Pals thread about the yogurt study? Interesting!

o

Hi MaryAnn and ALL!
Yep, I thought that yogurt study is very, very interesting as I have yogurt daily with my fruit salad (YUM!)
Congrats on your smaller pants - wonderful news and I bet you have been grinning ear to ear! Even Beverley is losing with the changes in her diet.

Great stuff.

I am surprised. I have dropped about a pound and now 145. I am a little concerned - I think I under ate this weekend with family commitments and such so I am being careful today. I actually had two small slices of toast with honey and peanut butter (its really cold today). I did point everything into my diary. My protein has been a little low so I am keeping an eye on my habits to balance the meals a little more.

Looking forward to hearing from the other gals joining us and if there are any guys are there lurking, feel free to join us - we don't bite!

Cheers,
McPeg

o
Yogurt Link

search on any search engine: yogurt weight loss and you get referred to the University of Tenesse Yoplait study. Link to one reference below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Yoplait diet study

o

McPeg, since I've never been to a WW meeting, I'm "on my own" with the information that I have. I know you are supposed to eat all your points for the day, and I usually do. But what about the flex points? Are they supposed to be used up by the end of the week? Or are they just there if you need them? I usually don't use the flex points...maybe 2 or 3 of them for the week.

o

Hi everyone! How is everyone doing this morning? I'm back at work after a starving weekend. LOL I didn't really starve but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm loosing too fast. Various problems have prevented me from seeing the dietician so far and I'm loosing 2 to 3 lbs a week on the diet I have assigned to myself. After seeing pictures of my arteries, believe me I don't want any more clogs in there. Do you all think that is too much weight to loose each week?

MaryAnn thanks for the website. I'm bookmarking it and because of it I think I may go to Quizno's at lunch and try their small Sierra Smoked Turkey Sandwich. I believe I deserve a small treat of some kind but don't want to overdo it.

o
eye opener!

It sure pays to check out the website that I linked to above! I've been checking out a few foods, and also a few restaurant dishes......wow! I used to (before WW) would pick up a burger at our local Dairy Queen for lunch. When I was more health conscience I would order the crispy chicken salad instead. Just because it has the word salad in the name sure doesn't mean it healthy! The burger was much lower in fat and WW points!

Be informed!

o

Hi! Will check in when I get home later....its hometime now....
MaryAnn - Flex points are, lets say you have 20 point for the day and you only use 18 - you can carry 2 points over for the next day so if you have an event or something special you can bank your points and likewise, that day if you go over a couple of points you can compensate by cutting back from 20 points to 18. This is why they call it flex points. I will check my WW site when home so I can explain this better. There is a limit.

I also checked out weight loss and dieting at www.about.com...found an interesting comment that if you cut back 5 days a week, you should make sure there are two days that you eat everything you should eat (don't starve yourself)....if you keep cutting back trying to lose faster your body metabolism will SLOW DOWN and your weightloss could become harder and also plateau. Plateaus are normal - let's your body adjust. It's just to stress the fact we are all striving for healthier habits and not to starve ourselves.

Beverley, I would be targeting 1-2 pounds a week and no more. If this continues at this rate, maybe you could add more fruit or something else to your day to slow things down a wee bit.

Anyhow,,,,,gotta run for my bus - chat more later! This stuff is soooooooo interesting.

Cheers,
McPeg

o

Good morning, all. Pizza is bad, pizza is bad. lol lol ---No, I'm up a pound or so, will really watch my intake today. I'll have some salad for lunch and a very lean dinner/supper. Veggies and a VERY small portion of broiled meat. I walked this morning, upped my distance a little. Getting low on yogurt, will have to make a Wal-mart run tomorrow.

Everybody have a great day!

o
Daily Points Explained for WW

Save Points for special occasions
You don't have to spend all your Points each day you can save up to four Points a day to use later in the week. So if you have a special occasion coming up you can save a few Points each day to treat yourself. Use up any saved Points within a week.

Earn Bonus Points from exercise
Need an incentive to get active? On the Points diet, you can earn Bonus Points for every 15 minutes of continuous exercise you do. And you can spend up to 12 of your Bonus Points each week on extra food! Check out the Bonus Points Calculator to see how many Points are in your favourite activity.

Your Daily Points will change as you lose weight
That's because the less you weigh, the less food you need to eat to lose weight in a safe way. If you're interested to see the Points for other weight ranges, refer to the charts below.

Okay, later I will start a discussion on healthy portion sizes. I can't drop to 18 points a day until I reach 10 stone - for now I am still at 20 points a day.

Anyone else out there have problems with portion sizes???

Just wondering. Let's stick with it today, we are half way through the week. If you are planning something special for the weekend that includes food, start saving your points today for Friday and that way it will be guilt free.

Cheers,
McPeg

o

I'm one of those who has problems with portion sizes. If it's a food I like, then I want a lot of it. I think this has been my downfall as bad or worse than anything. You know the drill - one doughnut is good, so three is even better. Sometimes it's better if I don't eat any of it.

o

I agree with the portion sizes. If we can control that, then we have this weight problem whipped! I think that's where the point system helps me. I have to measure out or count out what I'm going to eat and that way I don't over-do the portion size.
Last night I really wanted something sweet, so I got out the package of dinner mints. They are 0 fat and 12 little mints are only 1 point. I ate them slowly, savoring each one, and felt wonderful afterwards!

o

I crave sweets a lot, too. I picked up one of those candy bar diet thingys at Wal-mart a few days ago-----it wasn't too bad----tasted like carrot cake, had icing on it, and raisins. My Wal-Mart has a whole dieting section with all of the powders, drinks, candy bars, and diet pills.

Walked this morning, exercised last night, did extras--whewww. It's nice out today, will try to get out and work a little on my flower beds. Have a great day!

o

Well, well, well....I was B A D at our team meeting lunch today....I am in the dog house! I admit to the following:

1 1/4 sandwiches (mixed from platter, including bacon and cheese)
3 bite sized chocolate cake things

Probably not much to a NON-dieter and I have absolutely no idea how to point this.

I can say, I had no breakfast (anticipating a weak moment) and a small serving of rice with margarine for dinner.

I have probably done all my points today and maybe a wee bit more.

No mad at myself because tomorrow I have fresh fruit salad ready, my yogurt to go with it, my small slices of toast for breakfast (should never skip breakie) and will have a light dinner with protein of some form.

Still trying to figure the points on this one for today but I will behave the rest of the week. I did decline the staff night out because these usually involve fancy restaurants and booze...too much for this gal.

Nothing tastes as good as achieving my goal and I enjoyed my lunch without the need to over do it.

How was your day?

McPeg

o

McPeg U must be doing the old point system. With the new system U get 35 flex points. That's what I like as I save most of mine for Sunday then go out to eat. That is easier for me than cutting down my daily points. I'm only 3 lbs from where I want to be so it is easy now. I'm happy with 1/2 to 1 lb a week now. I'm trying to get my body used to eating more now. DH is where he wants to be. We are by no means where the charts say we should be but if I was that low I'd look & probably feel sick. about 15 years ago I lost 100 lbs in a year.. was still 10 lbs above the charts & looked awful in the face. My eyes were all sunk in too. My daughter (an adult) said I aged 10 years.
Let me lose 3 more lbs & keep it off & I'll be happy.

o

Here's what WW website says about the flex points:

You can eat the foods you love as long as you hit your POINTS Target based on your weight.
Earn Activity POINTS by exercising and you can swap them for food.
In addition, you have a reserve of 35 FlexPoints to spend throughout the week, however you like.

I know what you mean Sugar. I am in the upper range of where I should be according to the charts, but I still want to lose more because I know at what weight I feel my best. I just wish I wouldn't lose in my face!

o

The point stuff I put above is the UK information - the UK must be on the old point system as a whole. Either way it is working for me and *****GRIN***** my co-worker said this morning she has noticed I am losing weight during the three weeks that I have been here (bless her - she is a fitness instructor).

Back on track today, planned meals and feeling great!

Sugar, I agree with finding the right weight for you. I too had lost a ton of weight in the military, attending a diabetic clinic - I looked HORRIBLE to say the least - sunken face, too think - yeach. Not going there again!

Cheers,
Will check in later....gotta get my work done!

McPeg

o

Morning! And it's a good one! Weigh-in - lost 2.5 lbs.
It seems that the past 2 days I have been so hungry in the evenings. Well, I don't know if it's really hunger...I just want something to eat! I went over my daily points both days, but only by 2 or 3 points. At least I got rid of 2.5 lbs of the 3 lbs. that I had gained the week before! I feel good and that's the main thing! I don't have that stuffed stomach feeling that I hate so much! And I know I'm eating healthier.

Have a great Wednesday everyone. (Is it Wed. there McPeg?) I get confused just crossing 1 time zone, much less going across the world! LOL

o
Yep, she's Wed Alright!

Hi MaryAnn - congrats on your weight loss. Just before my weight dropped I noticed I was very hungry too.
Glad to see ya sticking with it. Had another colleague comment on my looks and I feel fab.

I may not be posting as much the next week, DH's gran is letting go of life. She is 90. Loved by all of us. She has been in decline and the family are here. We came to Scotland to spend time with her and have done just that. I feel sad to see her leaving us but will be relieved when her suffering stops. She is asleep right now but we are waiting for a phone call.

Life is precious. We owe it to ourselves to make the most of it, keep in good health so we can share quality time with each other.

My challenge for the next week or so is to pay attention to my meals and make sure I don't miss them with everything going on. I am okay, more concerned for DH and his family.

LOL to all,
looking forward to reading your posts and hope you are real LOSERS!

McPeg

o

Good morning all! Yesterday I went out to eat at our favorite place. Somehow DH an I just can't get by without going there at least once a week. I showed restraint, but I did have 2 Tbsp Ranch Dressing and 2 cups of cream of chicken soup. I know I should have had neither, but they are my biggest downfall as far as food is concerned. Oh well, back on the wagon today.

o

McPeg, I'm sorry to hear about your DH's grandmother. I hope she is at rest.
If you spend much time at the hospital be sure to plan ahead for your meals. It's so easy to eat vending machine junk instead of real meals.

You are so right! Life is precious. This is the only body we have so we need to focus on keeping it healthy and fit! My goal is to still be riding a motorcycle when I'm 90!

Beverly, we all over do it at times. For me it's when I eat out, too. The important thing is to get back on the wagon!!!

o

Hi, still hanging in there. Yesterday totally maxed out my points and somehow have lost half a pound??? Must be the 1 tsp of butter a day on my toast only and no fat otherwise and all this fruit and yogurt I have been eating.
I have to make more of an effort to get more protein in my day...I am slacking on that one.

Feeling pretty tired today, did not sleep well last night for obvious reasons but it should settle down now that I am accepting the changes going on.

I want to thank everyone here and at the KT for your kind words and thoughts for my Gran.

Very important right now to pay attention to my meals because with the weight dropping, it is very easy for me to drop too fast when I am stressed. I have been through similar situations of stress in my late 20s when I lost a lot of weight in the military - I have to make sure I do not become anaemic (always lean towards that my whole life).

I think later today I will post some details and start a discussion on portion sizes for foods. One of my weak areas.

Hope everyone is having a good day. We are moving on through this week and another step closer to achieving our goals and better health.

Cheers,
McPeg

o

Hi All, just checking in. I haven't lost anything in a few days. I must be a little more careful of what I eat.

McPeg, I hope things are going a little better for you with your Gran and all. I know you must be really stressed.

Speaking of the 1 tsp of butter - Have you tried "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray? It's a wonderful substitute on toast and has no fat whatsoever. It keeps the toast from being so hard and has no bad taste at all.

Congratulations to you on the loss MaryAnn!

o

Hi all. McPeg, sorry to hear about your grandmother. Best thoughts and prayers coming your way.

I didn't weight this morning because I ate some cashews yesterday---DH's snacks. I did load up on yogurt yesterday at the grocery, bought the new Skinny Cow ice chocolate ice creams on a stick------didn't like them as good as the sandwiches. Also got more fruit.

Walked this morning, got cleaning projects going on today and must drink more water. I love the flavored waters, but they have aspertame in them-------trying to get away from that, but it's in everything. Oh, well...

Had oatmeal for breakfast, will probably have some cottage cheese, crackers, and a bit of smoked turkey for lunch. Haven't thought that far ahead for dinner. lol

Have a great day!

o

How many points is a donut? Never mind, I think I already know. LOL
Our band director just found out that he is cancer-free, after a bout with prostate cancer. We are all very happy for him, but he sent us a box of glazed donuts to celebrate with.
I stared at the donuts during the morning coffee break and slowly ate my apple. In 5 minutes is my afternoon break and I had seriously considered smacking on a donut. That is until I did some research and realized that it is probably 7 points!!! That's a whole meal!!!! I think I just lost my appetite! LOL

o

Oh MaryAnn I feel your pain. Doughnuts are my very weakest point. I have come to the place that I can resist except when someone brings them in at work and I have to look at them all the time. They are probably more than 7 points and they have trans fatty acid, the worst kind. I'm so proud of you!

o

Hello everyone - yesterday went over my points with a late night family meal out (no one felt like cooking for obvious reasons) and I think I am about 6 points over this week on my meals. We are having a quiet day today at work and Saturday will also be quiet. So I have surrounded myself with my lovely yogurts, fruit, low/no fat chocolate biscuit bars I found in the store - wafer type things but I have be sucumbing to KitKats and going to stop this.
Last night I was sooooo tired from all this family stuff, I felt weak and had a plate of sausage and mashed potato. Still not sleeping well, even with a mild sedative but things will return to normal. I am hanging in there. Planned meals today/tomorrow/sunday and hopefully for my weigh in on Monday I will recover from this week chaos.

I too looked up that diet site with all the restaurants - I have resolved that walking up to a Tim Horton's donut counter is an automatic 6-8 points for the things I like. So I will be saving up my points when I visit home. They don't know what a good donut is over here!

LOL to all, many thanks for the best wishes and codolences. We are remembering her funnier moments together and having a few laughs.

Cheers,
McPeg

o

Morning! I felt the urge to weigh this morning, even though I usually only weigh once a week on Wednesdays. I had lost another pound! I'm so happy I resisted the donuts yesterday. They are still sitting on the table, but I'm sure they are getting stale now, and not so tempting. I took Jammer's daughter shopping last night and it wound up taking longer than I expected, so I ate dinner at 8:30pm! No junk while we were shopping, except a diet coke.

I feel back in control again!!

TGIF

o

Here's Friday's question...how many points in a chocolate covered strawberry? LOL Yes, someone brought us a tray of hand dipped strawberries to our office for Valentine's day.
I'm sure I'll have at least 1!! Hey, it's mostly fruit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here