SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deemarie5500

SS Daily Support - Monday Feb 6 - Sunday Feb 12

deemarie5500
18 years ago

GET UP AND GET MOVING!!!!

Congratulations to the Steelers!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (35)

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm moving....out of town.

For shame...we'll have to dust off our feathers and try again sometime. Those waving yellow towels really messed with our flight pattern.

CONGRATULATIONS----STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back later....

• jen823
    18 years ago

Good Morning!

Yeahhhhhhhhh STEELERS!

Well, Tara is getting over her ear infection and Erica is getting it. I was up all nite with her coughing last nite. I have to say between the two girls, Tara is a MUCH better patient. Erica is a little on the Drama Queen side. Oh well. Thats a 4 year old. Wouldn't trade her for nothing!!

Thanks for all the well wishes on Tara. I really appreciate them.

Tikanas, I never got your e-mail. I checked my box again a little while ago.

Better get some work done. Have a great day.

Jen

• Related Discussions

SS Daily- Mon. Feb. 2nd thru Sun. Feb. 8th

Q

Comments (29)
    I thought I would check in before leaving for the weekend. Yesterday was a day from hell. I am asking you again for prayers and support for my family. What I am going to tell you is almost impossible to believe. It concerns two of my nephews. One is ninth grade, the other away at college, finishing up his senior year. Last week my brother and his wife received a call from the ninth grader's school, saying that he had suffered an "episode" and recommended taking him to the doctor. To make a long story short, he had gotten extremely stressed out at school (he is always on the honors list) and just cracked. They described it as a manic episode. He is seeing several doctors and has gotten better, went back to school yesterday. When talking to my mother yesterday morning, she said she had started receiving some very bizarre emails from our other nephew, who is away at college. She didn't want to bother my brother, because of everything they had been going through with the younger son. I asked her to forward them to me, and gosh almighty, they were more than bizarre, really out of it, almost suicidal. So I told her I was going to track down my brother and/or his wife at their work and let them know. To make a long story short, this nephew has also suffered some sort of manic breakdown - they tested him and did not find drugs or alcohol in his system and will be committing him to a mental hospital for evaluation. My brother is with him, as my sister-in-law had to stay home with the other son. I was hesitant to post this on a forum, but I believe in prayer and that it can help heal, and my poor brother and his family need it in the worst way. They are just stunned and in shock. They are the last family you would think something like this would happen to. Very stable environment, very supportive of their children. Thank you for letting me share.
    ...See More

SS Support Feb 28 - Mar 6

Q

Comments (38)
    Good Morning All, Raeanne, Happy Belated Birthday! I am so sorry I missed it. I haven't been checking in an missed it. Birthday or not I hope you know how much I love you and cherish your friendship! I hope this year is filled with lots of love and happiness for you. Marci's gifts sound wonderful and that is because she IS wonderful. I got my wake up calls from Gretchen and Marci about being MIA. Thank you two. I have alot going on and I will share. It is with great saddness that I share we lost the vernerable elder goat, Fred two weeks ago. He had been doing so well and I actually thought he was going to make the winter and have a great spring, summer and fall. But on February 19th I walked into the barn and found Fred in his stall. It was not pretty but there did not appear to be any signs of struggle or distress. He went on his own terms and that makes me happy. I was lucky enough to have my DH home who was able to take care of him. We had to be in Albany, NY that morning to deliver a cart that I sold so we had to move him to the garage, deliver the cart and deal with digging a hole in the frozen tundra when we got home about 1pm. It took us til 6pm to finally bury poor old Fred. We sent him off well and he is resting under the white pines beside our barn with his mother and my beloved Paddy. DH took this very, very hard. We are both very raw still. I am sure it's hard for some to imagine this distress over a goat. Well, all I can tell you is that to know a goat is to love a goat! They are one of God's most charming creations! Also, I have been working alot of weekends which is all consuming. This week was deadline........made my goal again this month! I am working again this weekend at a trade show in Strubridge, MA. There seems to be no end to these things. Better now than when it's riding season. It's DH 50th birthday on Tuesday and I am planning a family dinner at my inlaws farm on the 12th. That is time consuming. I am also putting together a scrapbook which is fun but really time consuming! This morning I am tired. I wish I had a weekend before this dinner to get myself centered. On top of it all winter is starting to drone on. We have had endless snow here and it's cold and windy. March is usually when I start seeing the sublte signs of spring but they aren't happening yet! I am anxious to have the snow gone and it seems far off right now. I will spend time to get caught up. I hope everyone is well. Marci and Gretchen thanks again for my wake up call!
    ...See More

SS Support, Mon. Feb 7th through Sun. Feb 13th

Q

Comments (22)
    Hello everyone! GRETCHEN, HAPPY, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! So sorry I missed it. I was in Philly for 2 days, and got even further behind here at the office, if that was possible. Today there was another crisis and my director got sick over it. She came out of her VPs office and told me she was dizzy....her SO came to get her. Pressure, deadlines, budgets....what does it all mean in the end, huh? Nothing! After dealing with health issues with me and DH over the last month, nothing here is gonna put me in a tizzy. S#*&(w it!!! LOL Seriously, we think she has the flu, so I'm hoping she's back on board with us soon. Raeanne, you'd pack enough clothes so that you aren't tempted to do a "Girl Gone Wild" tape.....put the bottle down and stay away from those martinis! LOL!! Have fun. Maddie, I miss ya, kiddo. Please check in with us. Gotta run; DH has been having a couple of bad days and I need to go home to play Nancy Nurse...he went in for a smaller port out of his back and it's leaking all over the place. The nurse told him it would for about 24-36 hours, but he's just not feeling right about it. I've told him to call them, but he says he does not feel sick or dizzy or hurting.... Patience is a virtue, and I'm trying my best. After driving 3 hours home last night from Philly, taking care of DH, and trying to settle down, I was ready to get into the shower and looked down to find my right ankle was at least 5 times the size of my left ankle. My first reaction? BLOOD CLOT!!!! LOL; I took 2 aspirins, put some ice on it, and raised it up while I slept. It's better, but I must have twisted it somehow. Absolutely no pain, and this has happened at least once before...how looney is that? Gotta run. I wish all of you a great evening! Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP! DeeMarie PS: I've missed the last 3 weight watchers meetings due to illness, hospitals, and business trips. Not sure I want to step on any scale next week, but I'm not giving up!
    ...See More

SS Support Monday Feb 27 to Sunday March 5

Q

Comments (43)
    Good Sunday morning all, Patti, I am sorry to hear your news. I am glad that things are going well with Dave. (((((HUGS))))) What did you mean "four of us were in Orlando" who, what, when?????? Too bad you didn't connect with ??????????????? Besh,(((((HUGS))))) I am sorry for your family. Death is not easy. I hope your FIL has a very peaceful passing. I have sad news myself. A long time friend of ours called Friday night very late. His 29 year old son is in a coma due to a drug overdose and has very minimal brain function. Mark, (my DH), went down to be with them righ away and of this morning he has not improved although he has been able to breath for 3 minutes on his own. Right now they are in with the doctor discussing taking him off life support. The whole thing is agonizing for them. What a horrible situation. All we can do is pray and think positive and remember that everything is perfect the way it is. Besh, I know what you mean about memories. It's hard to have to revisit such awful memories right now for me. I will be thinking of you.
    ...See More
  • deemarie5500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Donna/SouthNJ, can you please send me your addy?

Jen, glad Erica is feeling better and [[[[hugs]]]] to Tara. Wow, a mom's work is certainly never quite finished, is it?

We had a nice time at the little Super Bowl party we attended (about 12 people). I ate way too many carbs, as did DH, and their house was too hot. We both felt we were falling asleep, so we left immediately after the game!

BJ, your guys had their moments, especially in the opening minutes. Good fight in them. I still haven't forgiven those Seahawks for their terrible decision to change uniforms. Loved those uniforms of the 90's and always backed them just because of those colors! LOL! What happened?

Hope everyone has a great week. I'm planning to stay the course and get back to eating correctly. Right now I'm resisting the urge the run to the cafe for some homemade soup. I've had my sandwich and 2 cups of raw veggies and that should be enough. Have a meeting in half an hour, so I think I'll eat my orange so that I'm not tempted, should there be cookies there.

Make today count!
    Love
    Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• magickitty
    18 years ago

Good Afternoon.....

Congrats to the Steeler fans. And sorry to the Seahawks. I did not watch any of the game..I wanted to watch for the commercials, but we missed it.

Tikanas - hope your knees are feeling better...

Jen - DH and I also got married in TN....we love it. We have no family there, but we will be much closer to Ohio, where family and friends are than we are here in FL. So we are EXCITED.

AMY - Yes, I think moving is exciting too. I love packing up a starting a new chapter in life.

BJ - If your gonna move (hahaha) come to Tennesse!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a great week. I am still catching up on the posts.

Later.....Lynn

• donna_southnj
    18 years ago

Congratulations Steelers!
    BJ and Seahawks - remember, I live in Eagles country. They took their fans to the Super Bowl twice and did not come home winners either time. I hope they get a third chance and hope that one will be the charm!

Dee - I tried to email you but couldn't. When you get a chance could you email me and I will send you my last name and addy.

Lynn, Amy and Zig - nice to "meet" you! Good luck on your move Lynn.

Jen - hugs to you and the girls - having sick little ones is not easy.

Suzanne - how is the job going?

Maddie - hugs to you - hang in there!

Besh - how is WW? Are you doing core or points? I have been doing points, faithfully, and am down 6 lbs so far. I am happy with that - it really does motivate me.

Milkdud - I think it's great that you can email Marci and connect with someone who has your job and knows what you are feeling.

Tikanas - how is the knee? My "friend" has not seen 24 but will have to check it out - she does like Keifer.

Raeanne - I am glad you are home and that you had a wonderful time - it sounds like a beautiful place. I can't wait to see pictures.

Patti - I hope you are feeling better.

Hugs to all who need them. Be good and drink your water (OK, I said that because today I did - I am very, very bad with this). I will check in later.

Donna

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Hi all!

I just got back from Cincinnati; mom's best girlfriend died Friday, and the services were today. Lousey circumstances, but I enjoyed seeing everyone--gawd, that sounds terrible--

ZIG!!!! No way! I am sooo happy to see you post--happy happy joy joy! :):):) I've thought about you and Allie so much-- I wave at you everytime we go to Canada, and honk atcha on the way back--how are you and where have you been?

Well, the show was good this weekend--better than I thought it would be. We're going to Memphis this coming weekend to another show, but we're looking this time, so we're gonna celebrate Valentine's Day, and eat ribs until we can't stand up! LOL!

Good game last night--I like 'em both, but I was hoping for the Hawks, since they've never won--

Hugs,

Maddie

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Get moving, people!!!!

What's on your menus for this week? Low fat, low carb, high protein, lots of H20, plenty of exercise? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Hey,hey! Easy, easy! Gad, I'm barely over the Hawks getting whipped by the Steelers and now DeeMarie's got her thigh highs on!

YIPES! Maybe everyone better get back on the wagon after the Super Bowl feasts!

Okay!

Monday:
    B: Egg whites with a dab of cream cheese
    L: Asian pear, raspberries, walnuts, and mizxed green salad with blue cheese crumbles and some raspberry vinegarette
    S: Cereal bar
    D: Threw some brown rice, wild rice, chicken broth, and shrimp in the crock pot for 2 hours. Served sliced cucumbers on the side.
    Treat: DD brought me a N/F late with raspberry and chocolate in it. I was up till 2AM!

Tuesday:
    B: Eggs over leftover brown rice
    L: The rest of the rice dish!
    S: Diet Cherry Coke
    D: Hmmmm...dunno...Probably a quiche - we have a lot of eggs in the fridge!

EXERCISE: Today, I'm doing a 1/2 hour on teh eliptical. I am going to the gym tomorrow to walk 45 minutes on the track and do pool aerobics for an hour. Thursday, I am doing 30 minutes of eliptical. Friday, I am going to the gym again to do an hour long Pilates class and walk for 45 minutes. Then I'm taking the weekend off!

I talked with Tikanas last night---what a great experience! We have to finish the conversation we were having tho' so I'll be calling her again! I had to go p/u my DD at a party and it was too late to call "T" back after that. But I can't wait till she visits Portland and I get to see her too! We're gonna fly!

I m still busy but I think I have found a little bit of a rhythm with my classes, kids, and family stuff. I'm more efficient now.

DonnaSJ: SO.....you know how we feel in Seattle!

MagicKitty~ Did I miss the reason for your move? I love Tennessee! You'll be happy there!

Jen! Say hi to the little princesses!

Raeanne~ WOW! Your vacation sounds WONDERFUL! Glad you enjoyed it----when's the next one?

Hi Zig!!!!!!! Hi Amy!!!!!! Thanks for checking in.

(((((((((((HUGS, JOANNE))))))))))))))

Marci? Gretchen? BESH! Patti! Milkdud! And John....

Check in before Valentine's Day! Are we making a "NO CHOCOLATE" pact for the holiday? Huh?

• magickitty
    18 years ago

Hello.... I have some pics I would you all to see of my furbabies. We have three cats total. Magic, Simon and the new one is Penny. They are awesome. I remember Marci having a website..appalonia zoo (something like that) wondering if I could e-mail the pics to you....or if it was not marci, who could I send them to? Also I could send you a pic of me and my DH. (I am the chubby one)(hahahaha).

Donna - nice to meet you too!!! Looking forward to some chats...

BJ - moving cause we are done with FL. Great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. I lived here for 5 yrs and it never grew on me, so time to move on. We have been very fond of Tennessee and my DH refuses to move back to Ohio, so the compromise is TN. They have mild winters compared to Ohio. We will be in Eastern TN, Smokey Mountain area.

Lynn

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Lynn - I went to the Worlds Fair in Knoxville in 1982. We rented a cabin in the Smokey Mountains about an hour from there and it was beautiful - I can understand why you would be excited about moving there.

BJ - I also had a chat with Tikanis and it would be great if the two of you got together. I am jealous and wish I could join you LOL.

Tikanis - thanks for the call - it was great talking to you again.

Monday
    B - Vegetable Soup
    L - Vegetable Soup
    Snack - Nuts
    D - Steak Cesaer Salad

Tuesday
    B - Vegetable Soup
    L - Chicken Salad
    S - Nuts
    D - Pork Chop, tiny sweet potato, asparagus and applesauce

I planned on eating soups and salads all week - but that plan left me starving - so I had to add some real food.

I am going to try to wean myself off of bad carbs. Slowly, but surely.

I did 30 minute workout with Denise Austin this AM.

Too tired to write anymore, good-night all.

• marci_pa
    18 years ago

I am back among the world of the connected - connected to the internet that is. Our cable went out Saturday night and they didn't fix it until yesterday afternoon!! Did they not realize it was THE SUPER BOWL??!!! We went to my sister's house and watched it there, so I saw our beloved Steelers get One For The Thumb! I can remember getting the first four titles back in the days of The Steel Curtain. So this was for the new generation of Steeler fans. The parade yesterday was the biggest celebration Pittsburgh ever held, over 250,000 people jammed into downtown streets to cheer the team's return.

Lynn - I am the "keeper" of the photo album. Just email me the pictures and I will put them in the album and email you the link.

Can't say much more, I am running late. Have a good day!
    Marci

• jen823
    18 years ago

Good Morning,

Thanks for the well wishes. Three more nites and DH will be home. I drank a diet coke from Long Johns last nite and was up all nite. I had their baked cod and the girls had the greasy fish.

QOD, my diet is low fat, low carb/good carb, high protein, and no sugar. My exercise is Denise Austin trim the Female Fat Zones. (its pretty bad when your 4 year old can do the video and you can't!) Give me a few weeks.

Marci, I would have loved to see the Steelers welcome home parade. I have been a fan all my life. Glad your back to posting!

Zig, we have missed you. Glad your back.

Raeanne, Which Denise Austin video are you doing? I also bought her yoga for weight loss but haven't got the chance to try it yet.

BJ, you have way to much energy. I can do the NO chocolate for Valentines day since that's one thing I hate.

Well, better get busy. Have a great day.

Jen

• besh
    18 years ago

Good Morning!

Congratulations to the Steelers. I did feel for the Seahawks. I always like to see the underdogs win. (Unless ofcourse, the Patriots are playing!) However, they should get some kind of prize just for having the ugliest uniforms (spoken like a woman!). BJ can't you do something about that?

Lynn, good luck with your move. DS and I were in Knoxville, TN a few years ago when his team won the Destination Imagination competition. We stayed at the University of Tennessee for a week and did some side trips to Dollywood and to Gaitlinburg. What a beautiful place. DH still wants to move to FL in 3 years and I am dragging my feet. I wouldn't mind going where it is warmer, but maybe around the Carolinas.

I had an emergency visit to the ER last night with DS #2. He had this strange mole that started to bleed when he was in the shower. It would not stop bleeding. It wasn't just a little, it was tons! It bled for 2 hours. When we got to emergency (after about 20 minutes of heavy bleeding) they had to put some kind of surgical compresses on it and it finally slowed down enough to do a surgical procedure on it. Ofcourse we had to wait for the surgeon and then the procedure, then wait to make sure he was ok. We got home around 1AM. It was pretty scary. I am home with him today. He is still sleeping, but ofcourse I was downstairs staring at him every hour to make sure he was still breathing.

Zig, so glad to hear from you and I hope you stay around!

Maddie, you sound in such great spirits. Enjoy those ribs!! (another fond memory I have of Tennessee)

Jen, how are the girls? Boy it has been a sickly winter. I think it has been too warm. Maybe the cold weather this week will zap the bugs out of here!

Donna, this is how WW is. :-( !!! I don't know what the problem is. I just can't seem to stick with it. I am trying to follow BJDD (BJ's daughters diet) which means, NO dieting, just healthy eating. When I am doing WW, or any plan, it is so black and white to me. I am either on a diet or off of a diet. So when I'm on, I'm doing ok. But when I'm off, I am sooooooooooo bad and it takes me the rest of the week to gear up and start again on Monday. I have done this my whole life and it has lead me to be about 75 pounds overweight. So now I am really trying to put the focus on healthy eating and some exercise. It sounds so simple doesn't it?

Speaking of which, BJ, I am going to email you with some questions???? I am glad that you found your Mojo!

Raeanne, we have a huge population of people from the Dominican here. Students always talk about how beautiful their country is and they are very proud of their heritage. Apparently not much opportunity for them though. I am glad that you had a great trip! Hey, and woman can not live on soup alone!

Marci, welcome back to cyberworld! Was there rioting because the cable went out during the superbowl? LOL

Dee, thanks for your everlasting enthusiasm. It really means alot and acts as a great reminder to me of what I should be doing. Seriously.

Hello Joanne (thinking of you and your Mom), Patti, John, Amy, Gretchen, and Milkdud.

OK, one final statement on the James Frey thing (I say with my head bowed down and my tail between my legs). I really wanted to believe that his story was true and that the smokinggun.com was just trying to discredit him. I am glad that he admitted to fabricating some of his book, and after seeing him on Oprah I think he is in heavy denial. We have to remember that he is still an addict and addicts do lie. I feel sorry for him and for his family. I hope this situation is not a set back for him in his recovery. I do feel though that Oprah had him on her show to save face and it was a huge PR stunt for her. I give him credit for showing up and facing her and the public, but I still think he has some work to do. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. I started reading "My friend Leonard" when all of this came out and have had a really hard time getting back to it. The book starts out when he is in "prison". I am trying to remind my brain that it is now fiction.

Have a great day!

Love, Besh

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Jen - Denise Austin is on Lifetime TV every morning - she has a 7AM show that starts and ends with a little yoga - that's the one I try to catch. I also have her TrimWalk tape and a couple others (older ones). I could only do half of the workout today - I just had no energy at all.

Marci - I don't believe that your cable was out. Glad you got to watch the game elsewhere - CONGRATS.

Besh - How did you manage to sleep last night after all that excitement? I am glad that DS is okay. The D.R. is a very poor country. I see Punta Cana turning into Cancun over the next 10 years - unfortunately the workers will still be drastically underpaid, but there will be more jobs available. I saw a several people reading Jim Freys Million Pieces - so I don't think what happened has hurt him too much. I really should be able to live off of my vegetable soup it has cabbage, tomatoes, mushrooms, and asparagus in it - now if I could have a big hunk of bread with it...

Make today a good one.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Checking in to say that this work/life balance stuff is just not working this week! Implemented some changes in this division, and it appears that only half the people got the message. I'm trying to sort lots of stuff out here.

Great to see everyone posting---BJ, I'm glad you noticed that I had those boots on. You look better in them, however!

Gotta run. Have a wonderful night!
    Love
    Dee

• donna_southnj
    18 years ago

Where is everyone???

Just a quick check in - my weigh in was today and I am down another 2.5 for a grand total of 8.5 lbs! Yes, I am happy!!

Besh - I am glad you DS is OK. Don't sweat the WW, it will fall into place when it is supposed to.

Hugs to all that needs them - have to run. I will check in over the weekend.

Donna

• milkdud
    18 years ago

I'm still around. Just had a hectic week of school and doctors. I'll write my novella this weekend and post here. Meanwhile, everybody have a great day and a great WOE!

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Friday morning!!

I am here to but also having a busy week. I am just finishing up my first big project at work. Talk about baptism by fire! That's how it's been. But it's all good as there is nothing better than doing to get up to speed.

I am having a hags with nags night here on Saturday. My DSIL is coming up from MA to join us. She is not a horse person but will enjoy the female bonding. I am making a wonderful roasted lemon chicken with mashed potatoes and a salad of mixed greens. Comfort food to be sure and easy. For dessert I am making a raspberry bread pudding. Can we say fat and carbs!! It's so good and perfect for the comfort food thing. We are also going to do a wine tasting with the wine I am serving with the chicken. A savignon blanc. I bought three bottles, a high, medium and lower priced wine. They are all in brown bags marked 1,2&3. We are going to taste them and grade them and we will all be surprised to learn which is which. I saw this done serveral times on Martha's show, (pre-prison), by a couple who write a column for NY Times. It was fun to watch and I have done it several times with various wines.

My I am chatty this morning. You'd think I didn't have to go to work!

I will check in later. Hope everyone has a great day.

• jen823
    18 years ago

Good Morning,

Besh, the girls are doing pretty good. Both getting over ear infections, but as you say..what can you expect with this weather. It has been so warm and then we have been in the 20-30's all week. But, that's winter. I can't wait for spring. Hope DS #2 gets lots of rest today. That had to be terrifying. Best wishes to him.

DH should be traveling home from New Orleans tomorrow. The girls can't wait to see him. I can't wait to get some sleep!lol! I guess I have missed him to!

Well, I have dropped 6 lbs since starting my new WOE! I honestly just need to stay away from sugar and bad carbs for the rest of my life. YEAH right????

Anyone have good weekend plans? I think we should all travel to NH Suzanne's house. Her party sounds like a lot of fun.

NH Suzanne, glad the job is going well.

Better run. We are supposed to get snow this afternoon. I am hoping it will hold off till I get home from Walmart after work.

Jen

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Jen - Glad the girls are doing better. Congrats on the loss - you have inspired me.

Donna - WTG - you are doing great!

NH Suzanne - I'm with Jen - i think we all need to stop by to visit you this weekend. When I read your post, I thought I should buy myself a horse, just so I can go to your parties. Sounds like you have thrown yourself into your work - I'm not surprised LOL.

Dee - sounds like those boots are coming handy at work too LOL.

QOD - tonight I am having friends over for dinner - a seafood fest, tomorrow night we are taking clients from FL out to dinner, no plans for Sunday.

I still haven't totally unpacked - I am the laziest at unpacking - I absolutely hate it. I have done all my laundry from vacation.

Have a great day/weekend - try to check in and let us know what you are up to.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good FRIDAY morning!

Raeanne, DH and I have our bags packed with the basics all the time. In fact, he has shorts and golf shirts that are just for vacations. Once they are out of the laundry, he repacks them and puts away the suitcase! Lately there is not more than a few months between our vacations. LOL We go to Florida in March and Bermuda in May. Nuts about these vacations, but I'm taking them while I can.

QOD: What's up with your weekend? We were invited to a 4-year-olds birthday party Sunday afternoon, but I'm not sure we're going to make it. Expecting 8-12 inches of snow, and I think Donna will be getting well over a foot! Winter has returned.

I had DH pack a styrofoam cooler in my back seat this morning after my walk. On the way to the office, I stopped at the grocery store and did my shopping. No way am I going to fight the idiots in the stores before a big storm! Got lots of veggies, fruits, and some low=fat cheeses (for some pasta dish I have in mind). I'm planning to make some calzones tomorrow night if we are snowed in...should be fun for me and DH to build a fire and hunker down. I love it when the storm is in the evening and into the night. ;-)

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[HUGS]]]]]]]]]]]] to all who need them. I talk about all of you to DH and he's slowly getting to know who's who. I don't have to explain BJ, Raeanne, Suzanne, Maddie, or Marci to him any longer....the rest of you just need some wacky adventures!

Gotta run.
    Take care, eat healthfully, and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

You are all invited to my hags with nags party!!! No nags required! I forgot to mention this is a sleep over too so bring your jammies!!

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Dee - I keep most of the toiletries packed, but not clothes - but that is a great idea. If I ever go on a cruise, I am taking you along as my guide.

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Hey Guys!

I've just been writing essay after essay ---and going to funerals.

Today, I am SERIOUSLY back to a healthier way of eating. The Super Bowl really set off my trigger eating, but last night was the END! Today, I have planned my day of eating and am journaling my food choices. I am really comfortable with the weight I'm at and how I look, but really, really I want to lose about 10 more pounds. The last 10 are a bear for me, so I am just going to bite the bullet and stay on track until the pounds are gone.

Ive had some real touching funerals lately--day before yesterday, a gang member funeral. The victim was shot in the head twice, in his living room, with his parents and sister present. His fellow gang members came out in full force to support the family and the pastor gave a message of forgiveness and asked the gang members not to retaliate against the gang that shot the guy. Then he had them all pray together. People spoke about the victim; he truly was a nice guy with a big heart. The pastor asked the gang to let the law and the lord judge the suspects involved in the crime. I donÂt know if that message came through to these guys. The parents wanted to send a strong message to the gang so they had the members carry the victimÂs casket  and he was a BIG guy  with no assistance from us, to the coach. Then we drove him to crematorium and the parents made his friends slide him into the oven and press the button to turn the retort on. Then they faced the gang members and said, "This is what your gangs do to your families." All the gang members were sobbing and shaking the whole time. The message was very visually effective. It was one of the most memorable services IÂve helped on.

Then yesterday, we picked up a tiny stillborn baby from the hospital and prepared her for a viewing. She was so sweet looking, so petite, so very fragile. The whole family was there. It was so sadÂa loss of so many dreams for a childÂs parents. The faces of the babies stay in my mind the longest.

Then there were the usual funerals for older folks. Those are always more uplifting, with their long lives! We make DVDs with lots of pictures of their adventures. ItÂs very cool getting to watch someoneÂs life stages. People love the DVD showings. Many happy memories set to pictures and music. The attendees get to see many other sides of the person they knew!

Anyway, blah, blah, blah. I love my job. It helps me live each day fuller and appreciate things just a little bit more!

QOD:
    Friday: Babysitting out friendÂs 6 year old and their new baby  3 months old-so they can have their first date since the baby was born! This is such a thrill for me---I love holding babies. Then we will probably watch a movie. We watched Constant Gardener a few nights ago---worth renting, for sure. I like this movie.

Saturday: Big gymnastics district competition for my 15 y.o. This is the big end to the season and she qualified on the parallel bars! ItÂs pretty much an all day thing, so IÂll do paperwork and watch her and the floor exercise girls. I love the music and routines they do. Awesome entertainment and SUCH athletes!

Sunday: Out to brekky with the family. School work, LAUNDRY (but of course!), and then---at night-- IÂm making a romantic dinner for my DD and her boyfriend. IÂm turning my den into an Italian restaurant and IÂll wait on them and make a 4 course Italian dinner for them for (early) ValentineÂs Day. IÂm looking forward to it  IÂll get to play restaurant---my favorite game! Candles, a fire, dinner, dessert, and then the guy gets the BOOT!---just kidding!

Is anyone watching the OLYMPICS this weekend???????????

How about the big Westminster Dog Show on the 13th and 14th? Pick your favorite breed and letÂs see how they do!

A BIG, HUGE CONGRATUALTIONS TO JEN FOR THE 6 POUND LOSS!
    YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAW!!!

• zig123
    18 years ago

Morning Everyone

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Donna, Tikanas, Milkdud, Magickitty~Nice to "meet" all of you

Thank goodness my Super Bowl company is gone. It was a long week listening to my brother replay the game and how awful the refs were. He and his wife are high maintenance guests anyway but this year was the worst.

Raeanne~Did you change your email? I tried to reply to you last fall and my email kept bouncing back. My friend and her family were very touched by your offer and would like copies of the newspaper articles. I will email you my addy.

Besh~I haven't read James Frey's book but it has been the topic of heated conversation and debate around the office. I have dealt with addicts for over 30 years and lying is what they do. It is how they survive and maintain their addictions. While I am not condoning his lies and embellishment of the truth even as a recovering addict lying is still a very big part of their make-up.

Jen~Hope the girls are feeling better.

Maddie~Don't just wave stop in the next time you are headed north.

BJ~sounds like you are as busy as ever

Joanne~ I am sorry about your mom. We are going through something very similar with my mother-in-law. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family

I am still SSing seems like that is the only eating plan that works for me and since I have been eating this way for so long it has become a life style not a diet. This winter my exercise routine is Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds tapes every morning. The intensity depends on my work schedule and 3 nights a week I do pilates.

This morning I am baking cookies and sweet rolls to take to a friend who has cancer. Sweets are the only thing that tastes good to her so I try to make goodies for her on the weekends. Think we may go cross country skiing this afternoon when my husband gets home from work. Guess I'd better get busy so I can go out to play later.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
    zig

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Hey Zig - I just sent you an email, I'm not sure why they are being bounced back. I thought maybe you weren't in my address book, but you are. I have spam/bulk mail blocked and I thought maybe you weren't recognized, so Yahoo stopped it, but that's not it. Try again. I hope your friend enjoys the sweets. We have absolutely no snow - figures - I bought cross country ski's the end of last winter.

BJ - how'd the babysitting go? I'm sure you had fun with the baby. I woke up at 4AM and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got to watch a rerun of the Opening Ceremonies - it was beautiful. Thanks for telling us about your funerals - that gang member was from an awesome family.

We had friends over last night and had a blast. We laughed the entire night.

I have lots of computer work to do, but our office website is down and it's holding me up.

Make today a good one.

• marci_pa
    18 years ago

zig - In the confusion of having no cable, I didn't get the chance to welcome you back to the fold! We missed you and I was delighted to see your post. The director of our preschool has been SSing since I introduced it to her about 5 years ago. It is just a way of life for her too, but I had to admit that I don't have the discipline to stick with it. I am just trying to eat the good carbs, fruits, veggies and lean protein (with a few M&Ms thrown in for good measure! LOL). Keep posting so we don't "lose" you again.

And speaking of lost souls, where is Gretchen? I missed her birthday on 2/8, so here are some belated birthday wishes for her.
    Happy Birthday Gretchen, from your "slow and fuzzy" friends!!

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Hi all!

Well, we started for Memphis last night, got down to the TN border and the weather was geeting so bad that we turned around, Got up at 6 this morning and tried again--and we're now home--2PM--LOL! I guess some things aren't meant to be! Oh, well--I was looking forward to playing with spring's new styles--

Zig--we'll be up again in mid-May (I don't have the exact dates yet), and I hope we can meet again--:):)

Westminster? Of course! I remember posting here in '99 about it--hard to believe I butted my way in 7 years ago! (Actually I started in '98, but I distinctly remember 2/99 at this forum.) I love 'em all, but the reported fav dawg is a Dandie Dinmont terrier from Australia named Hobergays Fineus Fogg. I always pull for the Irish Wolfhound and the pom. :):)

Well, Rog is a bit under the weather and is grouchy--GAK! He's on the couch, and I see a black cloud gathering over his head--maybe it's a good thing that we didn't make it to the show--

Gotta go--I have a hairy purring monster that wants attention--

Hugs,

Maddie

• besh
    18 years ago

GRETCHEN!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I HOPE IT WAS THE BEST ONE EVER!! ((((HUGS))))

Love, Besh

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GRETCHEN! Happy Belated Birthday to you. Hope it was a good time. We miss you around here, so please check in.

Thanks for the reminder, Marci.

Well, the birthday party has been cancelled due to the snow warnings. I've told DH he has to work this weekend in our master bath, and he's agreed. Not sure how much he'll get accomplished. Depends upon how much snow we need to shovel tomorrow.

If it does snow tonight, I want a fire and a good movie or one of my books that I've been meaning to read. Maybe DH and I will celebrate Valentine's Day later this evening. Trying to get quiet time together is really difficult during the week.

BJ, I'd like to thank you for sharing your stories. There are so many worlds out there...people living life so differently than me. Real life stuff; eye-opening.

Zig, I'm glad your back. Congrats on your WOE. I'm still struggling so much with the weight, but my health is OK, so I try not to get down about the number on the scale or in my clothes.

Congrats to all you losers out there!

Maddie, hope Rog is feeling better. Sorry you could not make it to Memphis for those ribs (my favorite is Corkys, wet or dry-rub does it for me. LOL!!!!).

Gotta go and get to the files in this place.
    Have a good weekend and be safe if you are in the path of the storm.

Love,
    Dee

• zig123
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday Gretchen!!!!

Raeanne ~ I just sent you an email. This is the first time we have crossed country skied this year. The snow wasn't the greatest but we managed to do 10 miles and have fun. I just hope I don't pay for it tomorrow :-)

Dee ~ I am not as thin as I would like to be but since I began SSing I have not lost and gained the same pounds over and over again vowing every Monday to start yet another diet.

Maddie ~ sorry the weather ruined your weekend plans. Let me know when in May so we can try to get together

Marci ~ It's nice to be back. I stick to the SSing rules 99.9% of the time because that is when I feel the best physically, although I do indulge in illegal treats (peanut M&M's are my weakness) every now and then.

zig

• donna_southnj
    18 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Gretchen! Hope it was a great one!

So far we have gotten rain but the snow is not supposed to start until later this evening - who knows what we will wake up to tomorrow morning. I know shoveling snow is good exercise but it is not on the top of my personal favorites list.

BJ - what a powerful message that family sent - wow. It really makes you stop and think about how fragile life really is.

Zig - I did look into SS before but for me, personally, it was too restrictive. I do see Suzanne on Home Shopping Network sometimes and she looks great - I really enjoy watching her. Congratulations on staying on your WOE and keeping those pounds off!

Dee - I know it's hard not to get hung up on the numbers. It really is most important how you feel and how your health is. Waiting in my weigh in line this week I said to myself if you didn't lose or remained the same it is OK, you were able to buy a pair of jeans a size down and that's a good thing.

Maddie - bummer - Memphis is a cool place. I hope that Rog is feeling better. I actually love the Westminster Dog Show and always try to watch. I think a Dandy Dinmont won a few years ago - they are adorable. It's hard to choose just one but I root for the Bichon (because I have one).

QOD - today was a usual run around day - tomorrow depends totally upon the weather.

Hugs to everyone - I will check in tomorrow.

Donna

• milkdud
    18 years ago

Good (and cold!) afternoon!

I've been missing in action while putting into motion plans for my immediate future. I turned in my resignation on Monday. Director refused to accept it. She's telling me that I'll be back. But, I had already decided to take time off from working, period, to finally have my knee replacement surgery. That is now scheduled for March 7th. Only one knee needs it. The other one has a kneecap problem which will be dealt with at another time. I need to drop a few pounds between now and the 7th to make recovery easier for myself. So, I've hit the SS way hard and heavy.

I've been invited to a Girls' night out with some of the other teachers tonight at Gloria's, a Salvadoran and Tex-Mex restaurant. Wish me luck SS'ing there! lol

Zig, it's so nice to see you here again.

Jen, I'm glad your girls are on the mend. Winter is always a rough time on little ones.

BJ, I admire you for being able to work in the funeral industry. It takes a very special person.

Dee, sounds like you and your dh may have a very special evening coming up!

Suzanne, I know the job is still hectic, but isn't it nice to have one you like?

Maddie, sorry your dh is under the weather. Hope you manage to enjoy your enforced weekend at home.

Raeanne, Marci, Donna, and Besh, it's always a pleasure to read your posts.

Oh, Patti, where are you?

Well, heading for a quick nap before my big night out on the town. I'll be up past my usual bedtime. LOL

Take care and stay warm. It's supposed to drop to the 20's during the night here. Brrrr!

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Me, again--

Yeah--he's just tired and whiney--he's been going like mad for the past several weeks, and I think it just caught up to him, but he was very snappish earlier, and I thought (well....never mind *that*!!) and went to catch up on my soap.

We induldged in TIVO ($5 a month) and it's just so great--I am an avid As The World Turns fan, and this is just the greatest thing--I figure that it's one fast fool munch once a month, so we got it. And that's what I spent the afternoon doing--3 snoring cats piled in bed with me, and the remote----ahhhhhhh.... life is good! :)

BJ-- I meant to comment earlier, but it slipped my fingers--wow--what a h3llva thing to do--(I mean that in a good way, but I can't get the words right)--I hope those kids see this and it makes an impression on them. I went to a funeral on Monday, and I was happy for the lady that passed. She essentially died the day her hubby died in 10/01, and this is what she really wanted. The funeral was beautiful, and I thought about you, and wondered what hand you played in the services. A guy that I went to college is the son of the family that runs a huge funeral home chain here in Louisville, and during classes, he would tell us stories of autopsies and family fights he'd seen--oh my--makes me want to follow you all around for a week--

Well, it's not snowing here, but it's cold. *Although*, it's supposed to be 55 in Tuesday.

Gotta go --dinner (well, kinda!) is beeping!

Hugs,

Maddie

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We got over 14 inches of snow, and DH took about 5 hours to get it out of our driveway (4-car monster of an area). Thank goodness we don't have sidewalks here. He worked on the deck too, so I'm making him a nice hot dinner. I stayed in to clear up even more paperwork ( tend to leave this stuff becaue I hate filing!) It's biting me in the behind this weekend.

Stay warm; see ya tomorrow

Sponsored