Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WW Basics - Q & A

Posted by quiltingbunny (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 3:45

Hi everyone,
aside from our Diet Pals support thread, I thought there is enough interest to go over the basics again. I don't have a lot of time today, family funeral - but I would like to start this thread and build on it - hopefully with your help.

First, I would like to explain the point system.
List the recommended daily points for your size.

Could someone post the link again for a points online calculator.

Looking to help those who can't access WW - if you list the foods you like to eat daily, I will try to respond with their points values.

I also want to do portion sizes.

What products are you enjoying? Maybe product reviews.

Diaries - do they help you?

Let's start with the basics so we can help ourselves and each other.

I find posting a lot and writing things down here helps me a great deal. Keeps me focussed.

I also want to stress that we are all individuals, we are human. We fall down, we get back up again. We will have good days and bad - no matter what - we are here for each other. If you have a bad day and think you have blown things, you have only truly blown if it you walk away and quit. You can recover from your down moments by continuing to put one foot in front of the other. You can do these.

Join us.

I have to go right now, but I will check in later tonight and start with the basics.

Cheers,
McPeg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WW Basics - Q & A

Good Morning McPeg.
I have put a points calculator, plus some other WW links on a webpage. WW points calculator If anyone has a good WW site to add to this page, just let me know. I think it will be convenient to have all our WW links on 1 page.

Sorry to hear about the death in the family, McPeg. I guess it is your gran, who has been in the hospital? My condolences.

It is so true that we should never give up. That is when we truly let ourselves down. I was worried because with a 3 day weekend, I ate too much of the wrong things. But I got right back with the program and today was my weigh-in.....I lost 2 pounds this week! Yeah!!!

Exercise is also important. I haven't been very good at regular exercise. We Texans are so used to warm weather. It has to be 70 before I go walking. LOL But I am trying to get exercise inside. I just need to be more regular with it.

o

McPeg, I offer my sympathies for your loss, also.

MaryAnn, you mentioned that you ate too much of the "wrong things". Can you explain a bit for me? I was led to believe that nothing was "wrong", as long as they fit into the amount of points you are alloted for the day. Of course, I would not limit myself to one ice-cream soda each day, every day, but if I want some pasta with a rich sauce for dinner, I eat lighter at breakfast and lunch that day. Is that OK? Guess I'll bring it up at today's meeting.

Thanks
D

o

By "wrong" things I meant, I just ate what I wanted without worrying about the points, etc. I would hate to think how many points I ate each day over the weekend!
D, you are right about being able to eat anything with Weight Watchers as long as you don't go over your points. That's why it works for me. I'm not good at denying myself foods.

o

McPeg, I also offer my sympathies for your loss. I really appreciate all your help.

I am just starting out today, it is 4:00 pm and I have 3 points left. Pathetic aren't I??? I will try to do better tomorrow.

I am allowed 22 points.

Is there an allowance for 1 hour of aerobics?

Thanks so much.

Jen

o

Jen, McPeg listed this trade-off on another thread:

Brisk Walking (15 minute mile) - 15 minutes = 1.5 points burned
Step exercise - 15 minutes = 2.0 points
(you can use your home stairs, put on the music channel and get hopping)

Any 80's music fans? Disco dancing - 15 minutes = 1.5 points

Pilates - 15 minutes = 1.0 point

I better get my eyes examined...I looked at the list quickly and I THOUGHT IT READ BIRDWATCHING (got briefly excited...more my speed)...

Billiards - 15 minutes = 0.5 point (I gotta quarter - who wants to play??? SHould warn you...I suck at it!)

Could not find situps but Gymnastics (also uses a lot of muscles) burns 5 minutes (FIVE) - 0.5 points.

and my favourite...of course....

Scottish dancing - 10 minutes (if I can stop laughing) over 2 crossed kitchen knives..... = 1.5 points

Eat lots of carrots! LOL That's what I do when I'm close to over doing the points.

o

What points should you allow yourself for your weight?

under 10st 18 points
10 - 12 st 20 points
12 - 14 st 22 points
14 - 16 st 24 points
16 - 18 st 26 points
18 - 20 st 28 points
more than 20st 30 points

As you lose weight, you may need to adjust your daily point allowance.

o

McPeg, I think you're using stones instead of pounds! Jen is from Indiania, USA!

o

As Homer Simpson says - Doooooooh!

under 140 lbs - 18 points
140 - 168 lbs - 20 points
168 - 196 lbs - 22 points
196 - 224 lbs - 24 points
224 - 252 lbs - 26 points
252 - 280 lbs - 28 points
more than 280 lbs - 30 points

((**Grin**))
Ooops,

McPeg

o

LOL!!! I was trying to figure out what st was!
I have one of the new books from the states and ours is a little different from McPegs.

under 150 lbs. - 20 points
150 - 174 lbs. - 22 points
175 - 199 lbs. - 24 points
200 - 224 lbs. - 26 points
225 - 249 lbs. - 28 points
250 - 274 lbs. - 30 points
275 - 299 lbs. - 31 points
300 - 324 lbs. - 32 points
325 - 349 lbs. - 33 points
350 lbs.or more - 34 points

o

OK, I get 22 points. This is a lot harder than I thought, but I am trying. We are going away for the weekend so I am going to lay off and then hit it hard Sunday. You have my word.

Thanks so much for your help.

Jen

o

Jen, it's always harder to eat the right foods when you are away from home. But if you mess up, just get right back with the program when you get home!
I've watched my weight for many years and thought I knew so much about eating the right foods. But I have learned so much from counting points with WW. Be sure to look for foods with a low fat content and high dietary fiber.

o

I think the US site is more up to date but the idea and principals/support is always here.

Lets talk about portion sizes today...that is the hardest for myself. I use the palm of my hand for many foods and its very portable ***Grin***

1.5 pt
a slice of roast beef (compare to the size of an A:drive computer disk or the palm of your hand)

5.5 pt steak/ 2.5 pt skinless chicken breast (same size as a cassette)

3 pt uncooked rice (two handfuls or 60 g)

2.5 pts medium jacket potato (about the size of a computer mouse)

1 pt mashed potatoe (1 ice cream scoop)

May I suggest to make your life simple by marking your packages and cans of foods with a marker and put the points, if you can by serving.

I have made myself a list of favorite foods and their point values. I keep it handy.

Hope everyone will drop a note on some basic ideas that you use to help you keep on track.

Cheers,
McPeg

o

This is my first time posting here - I joined WW 2 1/2 weeks ago and have lost 8 lbs. I started at 145.5 lbs. and am 5 ft. 5 inches tall. I eat all of my 20 pts. each day, plus my APs (I do 30 minutes of exercise every day). I usually use about 5 of my flex points each week. I am loving this program because it really is teaching me how to eat. I realize now that I was eating out of boredom, and snacking way too much. I, too, write the amount of pts. on each food package in my home, so that I know right away how much I am eating. I also keep lots of low point foods around.

Sheryl

o

Sheryl, I started out at 149 lbs. and I'm 5'4'' tall. I've lost 15 lbs in 22 weeks. I count points during the week, but the weekends that Jammer is home I usually don't keep count. We go out to eat alot and sometimes go out for drinks. But when Monday rolls around, I'm back to counting! I'm happy this way because I'm eating very healthy most of the time, and when I step on the scales each week the number is usually down. Even if it's just lb down I'm happy! I buy the usual snacks for my kids, who are tall and slim, but when tempted I look at the fat content in them, and I put them back on the shelf!!!

o

I'm not measuring everything, but I did the first week (2 weeks ago!) so that I could eyeball what it looks like on the plate. I tend to go a bit less so that I'm within points.

So far, I've picked some of my favorite foods and memorized how much I can eat. I've also decided to purchase foods that are already measured---for example, 8 oz package of low-fat cheese, with only 8 slices! duh!!!

I purchased the 1/2 cup Glad plastic containers. I fill 2 of them for a 1 point serving of grapes, and use as a snack in the morning and snack in the afternoon if I'm hungry.

Been a great help when making lunch to bring into the office.

o

How many points is in birthday cake??
Happy Birthday McPeg!!!!

o

Too many if ya saw what I ate yesterday! Today I am a REAL GOOD GIRL!
Many thanks,
McPeg

o

I had to go out of town yesterday after work. So I picked up fried chicken and jalapeno bombers on the way home. But I was good....I looked online to check out Church's Chicken and I only ate one thigh and 1 bomber. Then I journaled the points. I went over 1 point for the day, but that's because I just had to have something sweet before going to bed. I ate 1 points worth of mini jellybeans. I did feel so bloated before bed. I'm thinking it was from the fried chicken? My stomach is back to normal this morning.

o
RE: WW Basics - Q & A...

MaryAnn - you have to not deprive yourself and you did very well. What is a bomber?
McPeg

o

Hello everyone!

Just left my WW meeting, and I am down another 1 1/2 pounds--for a total of 8 pounds since February 4. YIPPEE

It's great to see the scale move down instead of up. It's still a long, long, road to go, but I'm going to do it this time, and I'm going to keep it off!

o

Congratulations DeeMarie!! Just let the WW choices become a way of life, and know you are doing something great for yourself!
I weighed-in today for a 1 lb. loss this week. 3 more lbs. and I'll be in the range I have been shooting for. But I will still weigh weekly and check here daily to chat with everyone. And I'll definitely make smart choices for what I stuff into my mouth!! And if my weight starts going up, then I'll be journaling points again.

o

MaryAnn, that is great that you can count points during the week but relax during the weekend. Eventually that's what I want to do. It's so hard counting points on the weekend. Dee Marie, you started about the time I did and are at similar losses. It feels good, doesn't it?

Sheryl

o

Hello Sherly, DeeMarie and MaryAnn!

I started after xmas - I think about the same time as MaryAnn - I was 157 and as of today 143. I have found with WW it is overall slow and steady after awhile.

I just had THREE WEEKS of plateau - part unstable routine at home with family upset (now settling down again) and part EXACTLY where I plateaued and QUIT the last two years...this time I was so pissed off at myself for quitting at this point I hung in there and really journalled, measured and kept the faith during the last couple of weeks. Things are now moving again.

I concentrated on being happy with myself for eating better, enjoying my food more and PAYING MORE ATTENTION TO MYSELF. How many times do you shove food in your mouth while running around to look after everyone else????

We all deserve some special time for ourselves. I am so happy to be here with everyone and focussed this time for the right reasons.

I have enjoyed a number of folk here because we have been keeping each other going. DeeMarie and Sheryl...its great you are both in a similar plan/weight track. Might be nice to see how you are both getting on and compare your notes.

There are lots of good threads going on...I usually yak a lot at the Diet Pals and anyone and everyone is more than welcome to pop round and join us anytime. I love meeting new friends.

Glad to say hello and wish you success. If you are having a bad moment or feel BLECH - talk to us. We are all going through similar feelings and situations.

LOL to all,
McPeg

o

Hi everyone! Actually, McPeg I have been on the program for 23 weeks now. I did fine during the holidays even though I quit counting points. I just tried to make good choices. But...after Christmas I started eating way too much and gained several pounds back. I started counting points again and got back on the wagon. So now I am at 16 lbs. lost, which isn't a lot for 23 weeks, but I'm very happy with it!!!
It really helps to have all of you to talk to and to hear your experiences, struggles and triumphs!

I'm wishing success for everyone!

o

Here his a pretty good point site.

Here is a link that might be useful: points in some foods

o

If U want to know the exact point use this point counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: point counter with fractions

o

Good Morning,

Ok, nobody laugh at my lunch menu but I am trying to figure the points and I am not sure if this is right????

1 can of Taco Bell Fat free Refried beans.

Sevings 3.5
Calories 100 /serving
fat -0-
Fiber 5g/serving

Am I correct in assuming this is 4 points or is there something more to eating more than one serving? I just need to clarify this in my mind.

I am on a refried bean kick.

Thanks so much.

Jen

o

Jen, according to my Pointsfinder slide, the entire can is 6 points!!

Hope Erica is feeling better. :-)

Good luck!
D

o

Thanks DeeMarie, that will make a big difference on supper tonite. CONGRATS on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Jen

o

With the new WW plan U can only count 4 grams of fiber no matter how many it has. I also have wondered how it worked if U eat more than 1 serving of something.
To be exact it is 6.7 points.

Here is a link that might be useful: point calculator

o

Oh my gosh - someone else loves those beans too! I bought 2 cans of them this week. I eat mine with salsa. Kathy_PA

o

BEans? where? Move over I'll bring some salsa and help ya if it's too much!

McPeg

o

Hey Everyone,

Ok, I have another question. If a have a baby spinach salad with spinach, carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms, How do I figure up the points since each one has 0. I am assuming that it's not going to be a 0 point salad right? I am using each serving size of veges.

Thanks.

Jen

o

Hi Jen,
I think in this case - it is a zero point salad - no fat whatsoever and the only concern I would have would be the carrots but trust me - even it if did make 1 point - I would rather eat the salad. Are you having dressing?
Hope this helps.
Glad to read your post!
Cheers,
McPeg

o

Thanks McPeg. I counted out 10 baby carrots to make sure that I didn't go over on that one. I had fat free italian dressing. I just wondered if I went over with like 3 cups of spinach if that would matter? The rest, I don't think I went over the serving sizes. But who knows with veges.

Thanks again.

Jen

o

Jen, I'm told by my WW leader that it's still "0". Someone asked if they could possibly go overboard on zero point foods, and she said "yes, if you aren't losing or are gaining, we would have to take at a look at your diary". So I guess the answer is to count as zero unless it affects your weight.

o

Mom told me - she goes to the meetings - that some foods have points if eaten in huge portions. One example is ff Cool Whip. A few spoonfuls have no points but if you eat the whole thing there are points. I think you would need to eat a lot of carrots to put on weight though. Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here