SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

First Time Dieter Needs Some Help/Advice

rivkadr
18 years ago

This is hard for me...for most of my life, I've been very skinny. But my days of being a size 0 or 2 are over, I know. It's hard for someone of my frame and body type to truly get fat, but it would seem my body is making a sincere effort. I'm currently about 15 pounds over the "healthy" range for my height and frame, and I'm feeling pretty disgusted with myself in general.

My main problem is this: as I've hit 30 years old, my metabolism is slowing down. I'm also taking a medication that has severely increased my appetite...I'm constantly hungry now, and I've been piling on the pounds over the past 6 months or so. I don't know how to combat this, as it's not something I've ever dealt with before!! I'm used to being able to eat whatever I want and not having to worry about it :( Much as I would like to get off this medication that has this side effect, I need to stay on it for health reasons.

What I've tried so far: exercise. Half an hour of biking every day after work. It hasn't done anything so far, and I'm still putting on weight.

My current eating habits:

Breakfast: frosted mini-wheats in soy milk. (always the same every morning)

Lunch: PB&J sandwich, some baked Lays potato chips, and non-fat yogurt. (always the same during the work week)

Snack: granola bar (110 calories)

Dinner: varying things...I'm vegetarian, so lots of pasta, stir frys, mexican dishes with no meat. Lots of soy based protein.

After dinner: various snacks; chocolate; popcorn; bad stuff for me!

Bedtime Snack: granola bar

A low or non-carb diet would be somewhat difficult for me, because as I stated, I'm vegetarian. I could live on veggies alone, but...it isn't gonna happen ;)

The two snacks I have listed are a must -- I'm also hypoglycemic, and I get really sick if I go too long without food. Granola bars are the easy thing to do, but if you have other suggestions, I'm all ears. The bedtime snack has to be something that really sticks in the stomach; I have a tendancy to not be able to fall asleep or stay asleep if I'm hungry (as a mild insomniac, I don't want to introduce something into my sleeping schedule that makes it harder to sleep!)

My game-plan:

- possibly switch in regular shredded wheat to replace frosted mini-wheats (cutting out some calories from sugar)

- replace baked Lays chips in my lunch with something like carrot sticks

- remove the after dinner snack completely, or find a low-calorie replacement. I have a major chocolate need, though, so this will be hard.

- make my dinners a salad, with a (very) small side dish of pasta, rice, etc.

I need some other suggestions on what I can do to cut calories, as well as any helpful hints you might have for a first time dieter. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle -- how do you fight hunger pangs? I eat my fill, and then an hour or two later, I'm starving again! This is largely the result of the medication, but maybe there's something I can do to combat it, and still lose weight...

Comments (5)

Sponsored