Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best for a quick weight loss?

Posted by mzmint (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 27, 07 at 22:54

I know all the rules(more or less) but if I wanted to do a drop of 4-5 pounds even for a quick temporary fix what is the best course of action. A get-together in 2 weeks and I would like to be trimmer. Any ideas? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best for a quick weight loss?

Burn more calories than you eat, there is no other trick when it comes right down to it :(

o

When I wanted to do that I did the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet~~I lost several pounds fast but of course gained them all back, because I did not follow the rules for the weeks after that. Just an idea:)

o

salad and protein in small portions and as the first poster said....move...move...move...

there really isn't any secret to weight loss and no amount of pills will help...it truly is about intake and output..simple as that..

o

The others are correct, of course, that for a sustained weight loss you must simply take in fewer calories than you burn. I realize you understand that, and that is not what you are asking. So that the info I'm going to offer is not misunderstood, I will repeat: for successful weight loss, you must consume fewer calories than your body burns. And the best and healthiest way to accomplish that is with a balanced, nutritious diet and lots of exercise. Those who lose gradually, as opposed to rapidly, usually are more successful in keeping the pounds off.

HOWEVER, what you are asking is, is there any method to drop some pounds quickly. And the answer is yes. By eating foods that are diuretic and slashing calories, you can drop 3-5 pounds in a few days. But be aware that this is water loss, not fat loss, and those pounds will return when you go back to your old way of eating.

I have resorted to this a few times when I've had short notice of a big event and want to fit into a nice dress. I have lost up to 5 pounds in a few days.

Just make sure you eat healthy foods and take vitamins, and only do this for a short period of time.

Eat mostly vegetables and fruits, of course no additions to veggies that add calories, such as cheese or butter. Stay away from potatoes, rice, pasta and starches. Add protein such as tuna or those chicken breast strips that come in packages (I think Oscar Meyer and Tyson make this) in small amounts to salad greens, and top with a little fat-free dressing, no croutons, etc.

Best choice of grains, in moderation, would be a small amount of unsweetened oatmeal, and "diet" whole wheat bread. I like Nature's Own lite wheat bread. Make a sandwich with some mustard, cucumbers, tomato slices.

Limit dairy products and use only fat-free or low fat (1%). You will get a fair amount of calcium if you are eating lots of fruit and veggies. And take a calcium supplement.

Drink plenty of water. Unsweetened tea is also diuretic.

Just focus on fruit such as oranges, berries, pineapple or melon, 2 or three servings a day; and veggies such as asparagus, celery, broccoli, summer squash, tomatoes, as much as you want of these.

Stay away from anything salty! And of course no junk food or sweets. When limiting calories, it is important that every bite be nutritious.

And if you've cut back too much and don't feel well, eat some extra fruit and a slice of lite bread or a few whole wheat crackers, and some protein in the form, again, of tuna or chicken strips.

Once again, I'm only advocating this for short-term, a few days, definitely no more than a week.

For a successful long-range diet, you'd want to use the above suggestions, but add in more whole grains, low-fat dairy and protein (healthy ones like fish, nuts, and lean cuts of meat) until total calories are in the 1200-1500 range. And exercise!

Good luck in finding a way to shed a few in a healthy manner!

o

mzmint.... I go through this same dilemma when ever a special event is on the horizon. I stress that crap out of myself, saying if I could lose just 5 lbs I will be so much happier, thinner, more beautiful, etc, etc, but honestly... do you think anyone else will notice a 5lb weight loss?? I have come to realize, unless I weigh 15 lbs total, a 5 lb difference isn't going to be very noticeable. Instead, I foucus my attention to some new makeup, hair products, sparkly jewelry, etc, that others WILL notice and go and have a great time!

Eat healthy, stay active, drink water and ENJOY LIFE!!!!

o

Hi! After lookign though many reviews (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/dietclub/msg012254052416.html) I came to a conclusion that proper diet and regular workouts are the best way to lose weight. Actually, if you want to lose weight healthily, you should lose about 4 kilos per month. Not more!

o

Cleanses work for me - but oy, they are taxing on the system. must be done during weekend to be close to bathroom. good clean water.

No sugar ever anymore for me. NONE. No flour/wheat/rye/ either.

I go down to 900 daily cals. Not easy. (lean proteins, tons of veggies, healthy oils/fats) I get grouchy.

I drink a reasonable amount of water for my weight, too. Not too much. To keep hydrated and as a diuretic.

Good luck!! :)

o

I use beaded fastin from dramatic weight loss and I have been on it now for a yr and have lost a little over 50 lbs, The pills work fast!

o

Try the Paleo diet. I have lost 10 pounds in less than 7 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here