SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rholl

My story - lost 38 lbs.

rholl
18 years ago

I am a 5'5" female and I started to pack on weight seven years ago when I quit smoking. I was up to 181 lbs. I want to be back where I was, before I quit smoking, at 135.

On June 1st, 2005, I started my weight loss. I should say, I seriously started my successful weight loss, and to date I have lost 38 lbs. I had tried before in vain several times.

This is how I did it: I am an avid reader of Woman's World. I read about Michael Thurmond's six day body makeover, and without buying the book or anything I just followed the Woman's World synopsis of the diet. It was difficult to follow, but I did it Monday through Friday and ate whatever I wanted on the weekend. Since I quit smoking I was an indulgent hedonistic eater, so this worked for me. I would spend the week dreaming of what I would eat on the weekend, then I would indulge. Come Monday, I would be right back on the "wagon". I figured "What the heck, the M-F grind stinks anyway, why not just add this to it?" The diet was not easy to follow, but I did it, even with going to work, training sessions, etc. -- I was committed. I would lose 4-5 lbs each M-F and gain back 2-3 lbs on the weekend, netting 1-2 lbs per week.

I did this for many weeks, losing about 18 lbs. Then using another summary from Woman's World, this time of "Fighting Fat Over Forty" by Dr. Peeke, I lost some more weight. It was basically small meals and snacks, protein every eating time, and keeping at 1400 - 1500 calories per day. This evolved for me into just counting calories, but keeping the snacks with protein. I subscribed to Calorieking.com to track my calories. Again, I would allow myself to go off the diet on the weekend, but by this point I had brought my body and mind more into balance and had less need to indulge. My losses were smaller, but my indulgences were fewer, and this strategy brought me to 145 lbs, a loss of 36 lbs.

I have become more sensitive to my body's needs, so I have started to abandon the calorie counting and turn to intuitive eating. I eat very little, and I use my intuition to tell me what to eat. I think I eat less because I am afraid I will overeat. I have been doing this for a week, and I am down two more lbs. Only 8 more to go. I don't know what It will take to get the last eight, but I am looking forward to it. I have been thin more than fat in my life, and it is a huge relief to have the weight gone.

I do not turn my nose up to fad diets for very short term corrections, such as after a vacation or long weekend, or after the holidays. I did the grapefruit diet for a couple days after Christmas and dropped my 4 lb gain quickly. But because it's not balanced, and I could feel it, I was glad to get back on my regular diet. I still use strategies I read in Woman's world because variety is fun, and most of the diets work. Many are useful for recovering from indulgences. I would recommend Woman's World for any woman engaging in the "battle of the bulge". They have a new weight loss idea every week. (I don't work for them or anything).

Well, I hope this helps someone!

Sincerely and good luck and good health to all!

RHoll

Comments (7)

Sponsored