Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My story - lost 38 lbs.

Posted by rholl (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 06 at 19:21

I am a 5'5" female and I started to pack on weight seven years ago when I quit smoking. I was up to 181 lbs. I want to be back where I was, before I quit smoking, at 135.

On June 1st, 2005, I started my weight loss. I should say, I seriously started my successful weight loss, and to date I have lost 38 lbs. I had tried before in vain several times.

This is how I did it: I am an avid reader of Woman's World. I read about Michael Thurmond's six day body makeover, and without buying the book or anything I just followed the Woman's World synopsis of the diet. It was difficult to follow, but I did it Monday through Friday and ate whatever I wanted on the weekend. Since I quit smoking I was an indulgent hedonistic eater, so this worked for me. I would spend the week dreaming of what I would eat on the weekend, then I would indulge. Come Monday, I would be right back on the "wagon". I figured "What the heck, the M-F grind stinks anyway, why not just add this to it?" The diet was not easy to follow, but I did it, even with going to work, training sessions, etc. -- I was committed. I would lose 4-5 lbs each M-F and gain back 2-3 lbs on the weekend, netting 1-2 lbs per week.

I did this for many weeks, losing about 18 lbs. Then using another summary from Woman's World, this time of "Fighting Fat Over Forty" by Dr. Peeke, I lost some more weight. It was basically small meals and snacks, protein every eating time, and keeping at 1400 - 1500 calories per day. This evolved for me into just counting calories, but keeping the snacks with protein. I subscribed to Calorieking.com to track my calories. Again, I would allow myself to go off the diet on the weekend, but by this point I had brought my body and mind more into balance and had less need to indulge. My losses were smaller, but my indulgences were fewer, and this strategy brought me to 145 lbs, a loss of 36 lbs.

I have become more sensitive to my body's needs, so I have started to abandon the calorie counting and turn to intuitive eating. I eat very little, and I use my intuition to tell me what to eat. I think I eat less because I am afraid I will overeat. I have been doing this for a week, and I am down two more lbs. Only 8 more to go. I don't know what It will take to get the last eight, but I am looking forward to it. I have been thin more than fat in my life, and it is a huge relief to have the weight gone.

I do not turn my nose up to fad diets for very short term corrections, such as after a vacation or long weekend, or after the holidays. I did the grapefruit diet for a couple days after Christmas and dropped my 4 lb gain quickly. But because it's not balanced, and I could feel it, I was glad to get back on my regular diet. I still use strategies I read in Woman's world because variety is fun, and most of the diets work. Many are useful for recovering from indulgences. I would recommend Woman's World for any woman engaging in the "battle of the bulge". They have a new weight loss idea every week. (I don't work for them or anything).

Well, I hope this helps someone!

Sincerely and good luck and good health to all!

RHoll

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My story - lost 38 lbs.

Good Job!

o

RHoll, I have a friend who was recently inquiring about the 6 wk makeover. Would you mind posting the particulars? Congrats on your loss!

Tia!

o

I did the 6 day body makeover, not the 6 week. I don't think I could be on a diet every single day for six weeks.

The 6 day is a rather restrictive diet based on body type, and the author recommends to do it once every six weeks. I guess I was bad, but I did 5 days on and two days off for several weeks straight.

If you want more particulars on this, let me know!

o

I would like more particulars. Email me if you are not comfortable posting.

o

I'd like the particulars please...

Tikanas

o

I only bought Michael Thurmond's 6-day body makeover as well. The whole system for the 6 week makover plan is about $100. The basis for the 6 day is very similar but more restrictive than the 6 week, because it is only meant to use for a short time period.
Anyway, in my first week I've lost 8 pounds, much of which I'm sure is water, but I feel great. With me, the only way to really lose this weight is to be regimented. I have to plan ahead and measure my portions, which is key.
The plan is no added salt,no sugar and basically no processed food, which is loaded with salt. Really I think if more people just ate no processed food, but only fresh food, which is the basis of this plan, we'd all be healthier and lose a ton of weight. In the book you answer a series of about 45 questions that determines what body type you are - how your body handles different foods. From there, you are given the food plan for your body type.You eat six small meals a day. It really does work. This is the one that FINALLY works for me. Check out this website for the body makeover forums. Between the Six Day Makeover book I bought and getting info and recipes from the forums, I've been able to put together a pretty good eating plan. It does take PLANNING AHEAD.

http://chat.provida.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=10

o

Sorry about the delay in responding!

I didn't do a six week plan because for me I know I can't be on a diet every day for six weeks. I'm sure it is a great plan, and healthy too, but I couldn't sign up to it myself.

The six day plan is body-type based, and my body type's plan consisted of the following:

Breakfast - 3 oz lean protein (egg whites, fish, chix or turkey breast, etc); 1/2 cup berries or 1/2 grapefruit

Lunch & Dinner - 2 oz lean protein; 1/2 cup cooked brown rice; 1-2 cups vegetables (must be low-starch, the book has a specific list, but I would severely limit starchy vegetables. I did like to add a small spoonful of corn to dishes for flair, and it still worked fine.

2 snacks - 3 oz lean protein; 1/2 cups greens

Nighttime snack (if needed) - 1 cup berries or 1 grapefruit

I'm not going to sugar coat it - I was hungry. George Thurmond says you won't be hungry, but I was, quite often. I dealt with it by deciding to do the diet Monday thru Friday, just heap it on the M-F grind, and then on the weekend I would be able to live it up. Boy did I look forward to the weekend!

Well following were my methods: For breakfast I usually ate smoked salmon - I make my own, so it's not so high in sodium and chemicals. My husband, serendipitously, had just bought me a Zojirushi rice cooker that had a brown rice setting, and this proved indispensable. I got creative with my combinations of vegetables, rice, and protein - fried rice, ceviche & rice, grilled vegetables, etc etc - I spent a good chunk of time cooking and prepping my meals. As for the snacks, they were primarily green salad with chicken and balsamic vinegar. I work full time, and there were days in which I did not think I could just whip out a salad at snack time, so I would bring cucumber sticks and broccoli stalks, and sneak a few grape tomatoes in there. It was much easier to manage.

It was quite inconvenient and I was hungry often, but I was willing to do all this as long as I was losing weight. I would lose almost a pound a day. I would put on a few on the weekends, but I netted 1-2 pounds a week. This carried on for many weeks until I had lost about eighteen pounds, then the weight stopped coming off as fast and I switched to another plan. But it was an excellent jump start for me! I was so food addicted that I could not go from that to "lifestyle change" in one day, so I think I needed this type of regimen. After I lost 30 pounds I told my doctor how I did it, and she said it was not a good way to do it because of the swing from diet to feast every week. I wished she would have listened instead of just comparing me to the "textbook" because after several years this was the only method that worked for me. As my weight loss progressed my balance increased, and I am much better now, but not done. Now I am 7 pounds from my goal, and I will get in a groove and eat intuitively and have good results (I mean maybe a pound in a week or less) without hunger, but then I get a little out of balance, maybe pack on a couple, then go back on a diet.

One more thing - I've found for me to lose weight I can't be afraid of a few hunger pangs. When I am successfully eating intuitively, I am usually a little hungry, but in a weird way it's not unpleasant. Maybe I went a little far with it, but like I said I am still seeking my balance. Woman's world had a good article on it -- basically you wait until you are quite hungry to eat (not the first hunger pang), eat slow in order to feel the fullness response, and stop at a certain level of fullness. To maintain my weight for the long term this is my ultimate goal, but sometimes my husband wants to go out for Polish food and mmmmm, it's hard not to finish that plate of cheese pirogies....

Take care!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here