Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
counting calories

Posted by sugar_fl (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 08 at 14:10

Is anyone trying to loss weight simply by counting calories? It seems there are so many fancy diets out there that we have forgotten we can just eat proper foods, count the calories & lose. Let me hear from U calorie counters.
Dar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: counting calories

This is the method that I'm going back to. I read quite recently (I forgot where), that calories are calories. It doesn't matter if they came from a pizza or a carrot when weight is concerned. If the added calories aren't necessary it still winds up being fat on your body.

Obviously, I've been aiming for more of the carrots than the pizza. I'm trying to eat better as well as lose weight.

In the past, I've tried low carb and low fat diets. I'm my heaviest weight ever now! What Mom said was right all along, "Eat your fruits and veggies, and some lean meats." It only took me almost 40 years for this basic philosophy to sink in. I'm starting out slowly. Last week and this week, it's been no sweets or alcohol. Next week, I'll work a little harder on portion control.

I've also started some exercises for beginners. It's amazing how out of shape I've gotten.

o

Booberry,
1st let me say I'm sorry for putting in 2 post instead of doing it all in one..

I tried south beach & lost good for awhile but soon come to a halt. I really think calories is the best way to go. I do try to eat low fat..low sugar & high fiber. I hope I get enough protein. I have a container of FF, No added sugar yogurt & eat at least 1 good serving a day of meat. I also eat quite a few beans & Veggie meat. I believe the best beside calories was WW. I did try Sacred Heart diet for 2 weeks but I quickly found it wasn't for me.
Dar

o

I've been just counting calories for a bit over a year now and its been working really well for me. I started on new years of 2007 and have since lost about 67 lbs. (I did take about 2 months off in there due to a loss in the family and for me, greiving and dieting didn't mix.) I also exercise about 3-5 days a week, mainly walking/running and a weight lifting DVD.

I've seen a nutritionist every few months and she agrees with what I'm doing. Basically I track my calories and aim for between 1200-1500 a day. I do try to make them highly nutritious calories. Whole grains, fruits and veggies, lean meats, and lots of fiber. I also take a multivitamin, vit D and calcium supplement.

The great thing about just counting calories for me is that nothing is off limits and that I can occasionally splurge if I want to. For example if I know I'm going out to dinner tomorrow night to a nice resteraunt, I'll try to stay on the low end of my calories the day before, during the day of, and the day after. That way I can enjoy my higher calorie meal, but it doesn't derail me from my goals. Also make sure you are tracking everything with calories, including the drinks. If I'm going to happy hour with the gals after work, I skip my afternoon snack and use those calories for a recreational beverage. (And, because I'm restricting calories, one or two drinks is all I need to get a bit tipsy now.)

I highly recommend some of the free calorie counting websites out there for tracking. fitday, sparkspeople, and calorie-count are some good ones.

o

I'm not calorie counting right now (was just recently diagnosed as hypothyroid and trying to get the meds right), but plan to be dieting again soon. When I start back up I'm going to try rotating calories - low (about 1300 to 1500) for 4 to 5 days, higher (about 500 calories more) for a couple days, then back. I've been on a lot of diets and am always surprised how I would sometimes lose a few lbs. after being on a platuea for weeks and then having a "cheat" meal. I think if you don't have the "cheat" days your body believes it is starving and holds on to all that excess weight.

I've also read recent articles claiming that short bursts of exercise, about 10 minutes, then take a 10 minute break, then another 10 minutes of exercise will burn more fat than a 20 minute workout.

Just some ideas. Good luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here