Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for food diary

Posted by ginnyginny (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 13:00

I am looking on the web for a template for a food diary. Not having much luck finding what I want. I've been advised to keep a food diary to help me begin to figure out if I have a dairy or gluten allergy.

What would be perfect would be a page for each day that allows you to list the food you ate, the amount, the time etc., and then say at the bottom, have boxes to mark off when you had your "10 fruits and vegetables" they are now recommending.

I know I could make something myself but I'm not that good with creating such things on the computer.

At 65 I no longer want to try to diet, what I do want to do is be more attentive to what I am eating. I've done a lot of reading and the bottom line is that the food we eat today is killing us. The food our parents ate did not and that's why many of them died of old age instead of cancer, heart disease, diabetes etc.

In a nutshell the Mediterranean diet is probably our best answer. Of course we need to try and eliminate or greatly reduce white flour, white sugar, processed foods, meat, and a few other things that don't immediately come to mind. If we begin to make those changes and try to walk for 30 minutes 5 days a week, we will be well on our way to weight loss and the most important thing, better health.

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for food diary

Hi, Ginny,

I use a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that I made myself. If you are somewhat proficient with Excel it may be useful to you and you are welcome to have a copy. You could send me an email with your email address. If you click on my profile, I believe there is an option that allows you to email members.

Would you consider an online food journal? They are great. They have a database of foods and nutrition information, so you just select the foods you ate during the day, and the computer will calculate your daily calories as well as the carbs, protein, fat, and lots of other nutrition information. Fitday.com is a popular one, and they have a home computer version that they sell for about $30, I think.

My favorite is the USDA Mypyramidtracker. This is provided by our government so there is no advertising and no worry about getting spam from the site.

If you want something real simple that doesn't calculate anything for you, like a Microsoft Word template, there are lots of those at the Microsoft Office Online web site.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Mypyramid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here