SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tikanas2

SS Daily, Mon 1/30- Sun 2/5

Tikanas2
18 years ago

Wake up everybody! It's a brand new week!

Tikanas

Comments (35)

• Joanne13
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi All:
    I really appreciate all the kind thoughts and HUGS for my Mom and my family.
    She suffered another stroke last week, my Brother has come home from Florida for a week so that will help me out a bit. We are just taking it day by day (that's my survival tactic).

Here are the answers to all the questions. Thanks Marci for doing this - great questions!
    1. What time did you get up this morning? - 5:30 a.m. -
    2. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds always!
    3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Walk the Line
    4. What is your favorite TV show now? 24 - love Kiefer
    5. What did you have for breakfast? Same everyday - shredded wheat, juice and decaf tea
    6. What is your middle name? Elizabeth
    7. What is your favorite food? pasta, pasta, pasta
    8. What foods do you dislike? liver, cabbage and Indian food
    9. What is your favorite chip flavor? just plain - but I never have them - they are forbidden in our house
    10. What is your favorite CD at the moment? James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
    11. What kind of car do you drive? Red Siebring Convertible
    12. Favorite sandwich? Egg or Salman
    13. What characteristic do you despise? brown nosers
    14. What are your favorite clothes? black pants with a little spandex!
    15. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? Thailand
    16. Favorite brand of clothing? Olsen Europe
    17. Where would you retire? Thailand or Arizona
    18. Favorite time of the day? sunrise
    19. What was your most memorable birthday? 50th - Had all my friends attend a cooking school and I just served wine all night!
    20. Where were you born? Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    21. Favorite sport to watch? Hockey, Hockey, Hockey
    22. Who won't send this back to you?
    23. What fabric detergent do you use? Tide HE
    24. Coke or Pepsi? Neither - hate soda
    25. Morning person or night owl? Morning
    26. What is your shoe size? 7
    27. Do you have any pets? Share 2 Cairn Terriers with DD
    28. What did you want to be when you were little? Undertaker
    29. Longest friendship you still have. 50 years
    30. Biggest accomplishment? My two wondeful chidren and my 30 year marriage
    31. Favorite school sport? Track and Field
    32. Event you look forward to. Highschool reunion in May
    33. What is one thing/product you absolutely detest and would hate to see in a gift package? feminine products
    34. How do you pamper yourself? Spa Day
    35. If I had a day all to myself, I would___massage, facial, manicure, pedicure and read a good book.
    36. If you were a box of cereal, what kind would you be and why? Tricks - because "tricks are for kids"
    37. What in your life now reminds you of when you were growing up? Absolutey nothing - I have worked very hard not to have a life for myself or my children that in any way resembles my childhood.

That's it, have a great day all
    Joanne

• yankandtex
    18 years ago

Joanne~[[[[ H U G S ]]]]

• Related Discussions

SS Daily Support Mon 1/17 to Sun 1/23

Q

Comments (39)
    Hi All! First off, Maddie, you have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard about your Dad. How are you doing there, girlfriend? And the family? ((( HUGS))) Suzanne, You and Sweet Pea! I hope that she is soon well and STAYS well! I know how hard it is when a loved one (2 or 4 footed) is ailing. Patti, I want to hear about your painting class! Have you ever done anything like this before? I'm also waiting to hear what the doc says. Hi to Dave : ) Lynn, those instructions for Crazy Train were as clear as mud to me LOL! KY Susie, sending good thoughts your sister's way...Nice to "meet you"! I have been MIA most of the week. My Dear friend Gael's Dad passed away on Wednesday. We have been friends since we were kids and of course, this is a difficult time for her ( Maddie, it has to be very much the same for you). I have had a HORRIBLE dieting week. (don't ask). Thanks to everybody, Bj, Raeanne, for you heartwarming thoughts. We got through this week ok, the first anniversary of Bill's death. I thought it would be harder than it was. I guess it was a blessing to be so preoccupied with other peoples problems...hard to feel too sorry for me!! Raeanne, I am so glad that you still like your box of goodies! How does that little water fountain work? Have you listened to those cds yet? HA HA!! I have the match to your black "worry stone" out in my garden and I think of you whenever I see it. DeeMarie, my daughter wants to know if you could make HER a Sopranos ornament!! I used the Greek seasoning in an eggplant/onion with Evoo casserole last night. Yumm! I love my Nora Jones CD. Very relaxing. Thanks again My computer froze up completely at the first of the week and had to be COMPLETELY rebuilt!! Okay, Raeanne... help me keep track here... 1) 1 week before Christmas the fridge breaks down. 2) next day the washer goes out and I replace them both. 3) 4 days before Christmas NEW fridge goes on the blink. Repairman fixes problem. 4) Christmas eve. the toaster oven goes to the great oven home center in the sky. 5) Jan 4th the dryer breaks down ( had it fixed) 6) Jan 11th favorite crock pot catches on fire ( short at the cord) 7) Last Monday, computer goes bye-bye.. Is it just ME or do any of you see a pattern here??? LOL!! Tomorrow it is back on the diet wagon.I have the menu planned as well as the exercise penciled in. Here's to all of us going through difficult times, those who are hurting and those of us who are just plain tired. Everything is easier with friends. I am thankful for you all. Sweet Dreams.... Tikanas
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 2/5 thru Sun. 2/11

Q

Comments (10)
    1. LAST MOVIE YOU SAW IN A THEATER? Nativity story 2. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? The instant when everything is perfect 3. FAVORITE BOARD GAME? scrabble and bacgammon 4. FAVORITE MAGAZINE? I am not subscribing to or buying any just now 5. FAVORITE SMELLS? fresh baked bread, a sea breeze, a wood fire 6. COMFORT FOOD? homemade soup, stew, pasta 7. FAVORITE SOUNDS church bells, laughter, crashing waves and my cat's meow 8. WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD? Death of a loved one 9. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU WAKE UP IN THE MORNING? I get another day! FAVORITE THING TO DO ON YOUR DAY OFF? Catch up with friends and family, curl up with a good book or movie FINISH THIS STATEMENT, "IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY, I WOULD...? Travel the world, design and build a house.. but I pretty much have everything I want now (that money can buy) DO YOU DRIVE FAST? I have a lead foot. STORMS-COOL OR SCARY? Cool here in California. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR? 1960 VW with a sun roof. Had to hold the doors closed with bungee cords.... I loved that car! FAVORITE DRINK? seltzer FINISH THIS STATEMENT, "IF I HAD THE TIME, I WOULD... I now make time for everything that I REALLY want to do. Life is too short! If YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY COLOR, WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE? I'm a brunette and I like it. 18.HOW MANY DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS HAVE YOU LIVED IN? 7 GLASS HALF EMPTY OR FULL? 3/4 full but I work at it :) FAVORITE SPORT TO WATCH? Dodger Baseball FAVORITE ON LINE STORE? Amazon SHOE SIZE? 7 or 8 depending on the shoe. Must be wide too YOUR BEST FEATURE? Loyalty EARLY BIRD OR NIGHT OWL? early bird I ABSOLUTELY DISLIKEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ.? Cruelty to others, human or animal, back stabbers, mean spirited and chronically unhappy people, broken electronics and sardines. Tikanas
    ...See More

SS Support - Mon. 5/2 thru Sun. 5/8

Q

Comments (49)
    Well, Raeanne, I don't think our chances look too hot! But then again, we'd have to actually BET THE MONEY to win.... Maddie, have a wonderful vacation! Suzanne, You guys are getting rained out today? Mary Ann, Your margarita and nacho diet sounds good to me! It is overcast and cool here today. I got up at the crack of dawn a spent a couple of hours weeding and tying up tomatoes in the garden. I have 16' of staked tomatoes and 16' supported by the "Florida Weave" as a comparison test on the two methods. I harvested a ton of carrot, onion, lettuce, radish, bok choy, cabbage, and chard. Housework planned for the rest of the day, Spending the day with the kids for Mother's day tomorrow. Happy Mother's day to all Mamas of human AND animal babies : ) Tikanas
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon 30 May - Sun 5 Jun

Q

Comments (17)
    Good Tuesday afternoon, Jan, just keep focusing on those tee shirts and Bobby's wonderful attitude towards adversity! He is proud of you. Oh, and let's not forget the smile. I would love to see a photo of him someday. xxx...ooo My clinic went well this weekend! I only fell off Casey three times! Seriously, on the second day the entire morning session was bareback. Not just bareback mind you. I had not reins just mane to hold on to. Let me tell you that I have not had but a small handful of bareback rides...short and not so sweet! Bareback in the arena with 7 others we were led around and asked to walk and keep our eyes closed, then TROT and keep our eyes closed! The purpose was for us to really feel everything about the horse beneath us...it's breathing, heartbeat, muscles move, etc. It was really great. We were also taught to do an emergency dismount which I used two times when I lost my balance. The first time I landed on my feet, which is good. The second time I landed on my feet but immediately fell to my knees. That is when the pain began! I pulled a tendon in my knee and it hurt,but I got right back on. The third time I dumped I was sitting on Casey backwards and lying back facing the sky!!!! At one point I simply slid off. LOL I know it sounds crazy but it was all a good experience but I was so happy when the morning session ended. The whole point was for me to get a better idea of what my horse feels like and to communicate with her better. It was very effective. I accomplished things in two days that I never thought possible for example, I was able to move Casey through obstacle like a zig zag pattern backwards without touching her! Amazing. The real clincher here is that I did not know how to do it nor was I told. I had to figure it out! It was a very empowering clinic for both of us! I could go on and on but I won't. That was my weekend and I am still reeling! How was everyone your weekend?
    ...See More
  • milkdud
    18 years ago

Joanne, I'm so sorry for what your mom and you and your family are going through. Both my parents are gone now, but their passing was rough on everyone. It's hard to see your parents failing. (((((Joanne)))))

• jprakia
    18 years ago

Though I would join in the fun :P

1. What time did you get up this morning? 8:15 pm
    2. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds, though I dont wear any :)
    3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? Narnia
    4. What is your favorite TV show now? CSI, Sopranos soon.
    5. What did you have for breakfast? eggs and sausage
    6. What is your middle name? Alfred though I tell people its Adolph :P
    7. What is your favorite food? seafood, tuna, salmon, lobster!
    8. What foods do you dislike? beets and scallops
    9. What is your favorite chip flavor? anything spicy, though I dont eat them any more.
    10. What is your favorite CD at the moment? James Taylor, greates hits.
    11. What kind of car do you drive? Black Honda Civic 2 door
    12. Favorite sandwich? bunless burger with all the fixins.
    13. What characteristic do you despise? drama queens
    14. What are your favorite clothes? plaid shirts and shorts!
    15. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? Italy
    16. Favorite brand of clothing? dont have one.
    17. Where would you retire? europe or tropics
    18. Favorite time of the day? night owl
    19. What was your most memorable birthday? dont have one.
    20. Where were you born? Manchester NH
    21. Favorite sport to watch? on TV, football, live hockey.
    23. What fabric detergent do you use? um the liquid stuff.
    24. Coke or Pepsi? diet coke 4 life.
    25. Morning person or night owl? night
    26. What is your shoe size? 14
    27. Do you have any pets? fish and a techno puppy
    28. What did you want to be when you were little? retired
    29. Longest friendship you still have? 23 years
    30. Biggest accomplishment? College
    31. Favorite school sport? Golf
    32. Event you look forward to? Vacation
    33. What is one thing/product you absolutely detest and would hate to see in a gift package? sweaters
    34. How do you pamper yourself? good food and a road trip
    35. If I had a day all to myself, I would___ do what i normally do 3 days a week :P
    36. If you were a box of cereal, what kind would you be and why? Capt crunch, sweet but will rip apart the roof of your mouth if your not careful.
    37. What in your life now reminds you of when you were growing up? I still like video games and have a good imagination.

JD

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Joanne, continued prayer for your Mom and family.
    (((BIG HUG)))!!

I love reading the answers to these questions! We all have quite a bit in common. Joanne, I am positively addicted to 24.

Hi Patti! Are you feling any better?

What's up Milkdud?

DeeMarie, did you take pics to share on your vacation?

John, you pop in and out of here so fast, we don't get a chance to "chat" with you!

My best friend's birthday is tomorrow. I sent her The Princes of Ireland (she is VERY Irish!) Has anyone read it?

You could certainly tell that this was a Monday! We are short a nurse and the rest of us are overwhelmed with the increased patient load. My NEW cell phone froze and I locked my keys in my trunk today! Tomorrow is another day.... : )

Friday I go for the Prolotherapy TX on my knee. I am excited by the idea of getting rid of this very limiting knee pain and stiffness. It's the injection part that doesn't have me too jazzed....

I hope everyone had a great start to their new week. Where are you NH Suzanne, Bj, Maddie, Marci?

Tikanas

• yankandtex
    18 years ago

Tikanis~I've seen better days. Feeling kinda "fluish". Let us know how your knee surgery goes.

Patti :)

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

Just checking in quickly...have lots of work here at the office and not enough hours in my day.

Good Luck Tikanas!

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[Patti, Joanne, and all who need them]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Love,
    Dee

• donna_southnj
    18 years ago

Quick check in - just got home - long and frustrating work day.

Hugs to Patti, Joanne, Tikanas and all who need them.

Will check back later!

Donna

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

hi all!
    ditto to Donna's post---

just got in and hafta go shower and hit the bed--

Hugs,

Maddie

• jprakia
    18 years ago

Rabbit rabbit! Cant believe we are already into the second month of 2006!

Check in and let us know how you are doing!

take care everyone!

John

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Morning All,

Rabbit, Rabbit!!

Checking in quickly as I am getting ready for work! The first week is going to be overwhelming as I attempt to get up to speed on contracts, etc. The environment is nuturing and calm so that is really great.

It continues to be like spring and I am enjoying this weather for all it's worth!! It's truly unreal for this part of New England! We only have two more months of seious winter; the days are getting longer and the sun will soon be high in the sky. Love it.

Hope all is well. Hugs to all who could use it. Will try to check in later.

• Joanne13
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone and happy February.
    I can't believe the weather we are having here in SW Ontario. It is wonderful for driving which I appreciate hugely.

Have a question! A colleague of mine wants to lose weight (don't we all) and she went and bought all the Herbal Magic pills etc. However, the cost of the plan was $900.00 or $400.00 dollars for the pills but no "food plan". I can't believe that they would do that - BUT - question is: has anyone ever used the Herbal Magic system and if so, comments and would anyone have a copy of the food plan that they could send me or fax or email?

Just trying to help her out - newly single and still fighting DH about support and wanting to shed the misery pounds!
    (((((HUGS)))))) to all the need them - cyber hugs really do help!
    Joanne

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Hi All!

Well, I got canned today--and I'm relived. Kinda sad, but I view it as a learning experience, and am moving on--

Joanne--no, I've never heard of it, but please let us know how it works--how's your mom?

Speaking of parents, BJ--how's your dad? I hope they be able to come in for the BBQ this year--

Has anyone heard from Lynn or KYSusieQ?

Hugs,

Maddie

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

John,I can't believe how time flies!

NH Suzanne, I am glad that you are enjoying the weather. We could use some rain here. ( only because I love the rain....)

Joanne, I have never heard of the herbal magic system. You sound chipper today and seem to be coping well. Yes, cyber hugs really help.

Maddie, That is a very good attitude to adopt. I admire you for this. Still, I am sorry that you have to go through it. On to bigger and better things, right?
    I tried emailing Lynn but didn't get a response.

Patti, I hope that you are feeling better today.

Thanks to everybody for your hugs and well wishes re my knee procedure. It is not surgery, rather a series of strategically placed injections designed to stimulate the body's own healing process. I opted to try this before considering surgery. I am scheduled for Friday at 2:30, and while the thought of getting multiple injections into and around my knee is not too appealing, it still beats surgery and the requisite rehab time.

Well, I am off to finish up some paperwork and then on to feed my "24 addiction"; season 2, disc two. I am hopeless.... : )

Tikanas

• milkdud
    18 years ago

Good evening!

Tikanas, I'm interested in hearing how your procedure works for you. I have two bad knees with no cartilage left. My dr. told me 3 years ago that with Bextra, he could buy me anywhere from 6 months to 3 years before I'd need knee-replacement surgery. Well, it's 3 years this month, and the knees are no better, but no worse, and no Bextra for a year now, so that's not bad.

Suzanne, good luck on your new job. First days are always nerve-wracking. Hope yours was a good one.

Maddie, sorry about the job, but it's their loss. You seem so talented and well-qualified for so many things that I truly believe the right thing will come along now that you're free to look around again.

Patti, hope you're feeling better this evening. All kinds of crud is going around here, from stomach viruses to allergies with all this warm, windy weather.

Joanne, I've never heard of that stuff either. For that price, I sure hope it works for your friend!

John, your answers were so much fun and so interesting to read. You have a great sense of humor!

Dee, slow down and come back and post more. I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

Well, y'all, if I hadn't had the incentive before to lose weight, I certainly do now. My youngest son called tonight to tell me that they're having another baby!!! I have a darling 6-yr. old granddaughter, and she's been wanting a little sister or brother since she was 3, so tonight she's doing the happy-happy-joy dance! I'm so excited!!! And my oldest son is in the process of buying his first home and staying with us till the closing, so life is very, very good right now. So far, 2006 has been a blessed year. I just hope it continues. And joining y'all here has been such a bonus for me. I'll be cracking down on my WOE for sure now so that I can enjoy every minute of this year.

Take care!

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

Hello everyone!

[[[[[[Maddie]]]]]]], I'm sorry and happy for you at the same time. Does that make sense to you? I hope so, because I care about you and feel that you are meant to hit the jackpot soon (sorry for the pun!).

Well, this morning I ordered 4 tickets to Andre Rieu, and I'm so excited! He's going to be with the Johann Strauss Orch. in Atlantic City in May. I truly love that music and cannot wait for our weekend down there. My DSIL and DBIL will be coming with us. We asked DMIL (who is in awe of his music) if she would like to join us (as a Mother's Day gift), but she refused. She is terrified of highways, and there is no other way to get to A/C, so we did not get her a ticket. I just know she will be heartbroken the night of the performance, but I cannot throw away a $100 ticket, so I only bought the 4. DH said she will not change her mind, and I believe him. She has let her fear get in her way for so long, that it's no use now to try to talk her out of it.

Suzanne, how's the job going? Was thinking bout you all day yesterday.

I've sent some funny e;mail's to Lynn, but have not heard from her. I have Susie's e:mail addy and will try to contact her. I think she still lurks here, but not sure.

Still keeping the intentions of those of you with worries in my prayers.

Work is nagging at me, so I bid you good day!

Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

B: ww toast, w/ pb
    S: WW's vanilla yogurt w/ 1/4 cup Kashi
    L: ww bread, turkey, ff cheese, lettuce; 2 cups raw veggies; apple
    S: WW's raspberry yogurt w/ 20 dry roasted peanuts
    D: not sure--have a business dinner, but plan to keep it to salad/soup, veggies, small starch, and protein (resolved not to eat any dessert)

• magickitty
    18 years ago

Hello Everyone.

I stopped in today after months of being a no show and saw my name mentioned.....it brought tears to my eyes....I have not been forgotten. (hahaha). SORRY for the long time no talk, but have had some major changes happening for DH and myself.

We are moving to Tennessee. Saying goodbye to Florida. We will still come down for vacations, but will no longer live here. YEA!!!!!!!

I no longer work at my job as of yesterday. The house goes on the market this weekend. I have applied at the nearest Walgreens to keep me busy til the house sells and then we can focus on buying in Tennessee. I hope I get a call for an interview soon. I am hoping to sell soon. It varies around here on lenth of time a home sell. One down the street sold in three days and antoher has been on the market for 3 months. It was really quick a month of so ago, but now things have slowed down. High season is starting so we have our fingers crossed. Please wish us luck.

I am going to go back a few weeks and catch up......I have always though about some of you every now and then. Especially NH Suzanne since I still have a picture of her and sweetpea on my refridge. Plus I have been using the notecards she sent. NH Suzanne, I hope you and SP are doing well.

I hope to address everyone soon. Missed you all!!!!! Looking forward to chatting again.

SS-wise.....no good. I have the best intentions but don't have the kahuna's to back it up. In fact a bag of bbq chips are calling me right now.

Take care talk to you soon......

Lynn

• aamylynne
    18 years ago

Hi everyone. I've by a few times and tried to post but I always have too much to say and not enough time to put it all down, lol.

Maddie, your work experience sounds horrendous overall ((((Maddie)))) It must feel good to be free of it though. Hopefully this is the space you need to bring something more fulfilling into your life.

((((Joanne))))I've been through the parents leaving the world, too, and it can be very hard. They are lucky to have you caring about them as you do. Some people really end up alone and not having anyone there who even knows them at the end.

(((Patti))) I haven't stayed in touch much, but do always think about you and hope you are getting by.

I've been struggling with my eating too. Well, that's not new- for about 50 years now. I'm sort of okay with it. I have to do reduced carb, which is also recommended for fibromyalgia. I eat little milk, little bread, lots and lots of low-carb veggies. For lunch, I just had a fried egg with about two cups (cooked) fried cabbage and onions. I still make the protein shakes, but don't always use protein powder. I use cottage cheese, diet soda, water, and wonder cocoa. I know that probably wouldn't appeal to anyone else, lol, but it keeps me happy and away from worse things.

I didn't volunteer for the exchange, though I've always loved my packages. I just can't seem to get things together enough to send. Maybe I'll work on getting something together and then join in the next one. Start working on Christmas ornaments or something. I've thought of it before, but it's hard to get supplies not being able to go places.

Okay, that's long, too, and not half what I had in mind to say. Take care, everyone.

And Magickitty, good luck on your move. It's always kind of fun and exciting to set up in a different place, even if it can be a hastle, too.

Aloha
    Amy

• aamylynne
    18 years ago

Seems I always have something to add. I know that there is a lot of hype about not eating fat and fried foods and all, but there has been research that indicates that the harm is done when you fry carbs in fat, but not low-carb veggies or protein. So, for example, fried cabbage and onions wouldn't do the same harm as fried potatoes or a grilled cheese on bread. For me, after years of experimenting, I try to have at least half or even more of my calories from a "good" fat. If I keep carbs low, the only other option would be to eat more protein, and my body has indicated that it's not happy with more protein, but seems to be able to handle more fat. Of course that's just my solution, and I really believe that everyone is different.

• maddie_in_ky
    18 years ago

Hi all!

What a nice surprise! Well, 2, actually! Amy and Lynn, howw good to se you both post! :)

Lynn--lucky you! I love TN, and if I had to move, I'd pick there--or NC. Do you all have family there, or are just picking up and going?

Amy, I'm the opposite--i get along better with quality protein--and I've started to try to drink a protein shake a day (in the AM), and I've resolved to walk every morning (that I can with the weather being so weird) while I'm off. I have NO excuse not to get my butt in gear--

Things are good here--I'm smiling for the first time in weeks, and Rog seems happier, too. I've spent the day cleaning (we were sooo far behind), and doing well, 'housewifey' things--and getting ready for a show htis weekend, and the Super Bowl on Sunday--anyone planning on watching it?

So, my life may resemble a sitcom, but for the next few days, I am going to relax, and enjoy Rog--and start looking on Monday--

Thanks for the support--:):)

Hugs,

Maddie

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Morning All,

Maddie ((((HUGS)))) I am glad that mess is over with. I am glad that you are handling it well and not dwelling on it. It doesn't sound like a healthy, nurturing environment either which is no good ever.

Wow, Lynn AND Amy this week! Good to hear from you both.

Lynn, good luck on your move. I would not want to live in FL and TN sounds so lovely. I have only been there once and not for long. I hope you will find the time to stop in and keep us posted on the move. SP and my other animals are great. A little bored because they aren't so active but not as bored as a usual winter because it's been so warm we have had lots of nice winter riding. It's unreal here at 35 degrees at this hour!! Stay in touch.

Amy, it's good to hear from you too. I really dislike the struggle with food/weight that we all have. I am in a nutritional program where the basic premise is to make peace with food. That's a new concept for me emotionally and I am hoping that I can come to peace with it! Of course they advocate the four food groups/pyramid thing but I am gathering lots of new information, advice and strategy.

Dee, I love Andre too. I watch him on PBS whenever he is on. I know you will have a wonderful time. The job is going well. A bit overwhelming right now as I have had to jump into the fire with both feet to get up to speed and get this report done by a deadline. I think it's the best way to do it though sometimes and, in this particular situation, I have alot of support which is comforting. A month from now I will be in much better shape if not sooner.

Milkdud, it's always great to have extra incentive in this weight loss battle!! Good luck.

Tikanas, I will be thinking of you today and hope the injections don't hurt you. I know the result will be positive and liberating for you!! Let us know how you are when you can. We are getting the rain you want!

Joanne I have never heard of that product either but I would demand my money back immediately if I were your friend. No plan?? That's not right.

Besh, BJ, Gretchen, Jen, we need to hear from you this week. Have I missed anyone? If I have, you know who you are!!!

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

TGIF!!!!

Glad to see Amy, Lynn, and others checking in.

QOD: What's on everyone's agenda this weekend?

I have no plans, and I love it! Want to spend some time in my home office cleaning up the clutter. Sunday, DH and I will be routing for the PITTSBURGH STEELERS! We haven't been invited to a party, and I'm glad because we may get some snow in the evening and I don't want to deal with driving in it....makes me nuts!!

Need to dash off and get some resource reports finished. Make today count!

DeeMarie

• jen823
    18 years ago

Good Afternoon,

Amy & Lynn, It's great to see you post. I have missed you both.

Lynn, Tennessee is so beautiful. That's where DH & I eloped. I wouldn't change a thing. Best wishes on the move.

Amy, I am like you. I can't lose weight if I am not watching carbos. I started back on Tuesday doing low carb and tons a veges. I just need to keep my mind in the right place this time.

DH left at 5:00 a.m. this morning for New Orleans. He got certified for a chainsaw unit to go and help with the hurricane. Him and two other people from church were going. I hope this week goes by fast. I never get much sleep when he is gone, but since he is helping other people I am hoping that will put my mind at ease and I will not be such a coward. We will see. I know it will be a good experience for him.

Maddie, You sound pretty upbeat. I am sorry about the job. I wish you lived closer, I would get you one here. We would love to have a gem like you.

NH Suzanne, How is the new donkey? I loved the picture you posted.

QOD, seeming it's just us girls this weekend, I plan on doing nothing. I would like to watch the Super Bowl. GO STEELERS!!!!

Tara woke up this morning with an ear infection. I am waiting on a phone call from her ENT doctor. Hopefully he will call in an antibiotic. Poor kid, this time, you can tell it's hurting her.

Well better run. Have a great weekend.

Jen

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi All!

Lynn! THERE you are! So nice to "see you". Wow, TN. I have never been. Are you excited? I am hoping for the very best for you and DH. PLEASE stay in touch. We worry, you know... : )

Hi Amy. You know your own body and what works best for you. That is so very important. I don't know too much about fibromyalgia, but the people I DO know who have it have told me that a planned diet makes all of the difference in their well being.

Maddie. you sound great! What a relief, eh? Been there, done that. I hope you have a restful and happy weekend.

DeeMarie, Funny how some people get so set in there fears, isn't it? The important thing now is for you to go and enjoy it.

Jen, sorry to hear about Tara's ear trouble. I hope that she feels better soon.While your DH is away now's a good time to pick up the phone and call that best friend who moved away. Or you could just call ME!! : )
    (did you get my email a week or so ago?)

I had my knee procedure this afternoon and will post more about it tomorrow when I know more.

QOD: Tonight I am sitting w/ my knee wrapped in hot, moist compres. Tomorrow, who knows! Not a big football fan but Baseball Spring training is just 2 weks away.....

Tikanas

• Wild_Chicken
    18 years ago

Checkin' in...

Nice to see everyone here!

I have a lot going on with school and the kids' activities right now; I'm trying to find a rhythm. DH is not helping. He is being high maintenance right now...must be wintertime in Seattle!

Anyway, we had Seahawks Day here in Seattle on Friday. The town was sea of green, blue, and white as everyone dressed in the 'colors.' I hope the Steelers get spanked on Sunday...GO HAWKS!!!!!!...I'll just try to stay away from the Cheetoes and wings!

GO HAWKS!....GO HAWKS!...GO HAWKS!...GO HAWKS!...GO HAWKS!...GO HAWKS!...GO HAWKS!...GO HAWKS!

• donna_southnj
    18 years ago

Happy Saturday!

I am glad to see everyone present and accounted for.

Maddie, I know that things will work out for you. Hugs.

Suzanne - glad that first week is behind you now. I am happy for you that you found a job with people who care, it makes a huge difference.

Tikanas - hugs and take care of that knee. Forget football and concentrate on movies - I am sure your "friend" can find some good ones.

Just checking in quick - very crazy and long week at work, glad it's over.

I have no Super Bowl preference but it looks like our area is leaning towards the Steelers - no doubt purely geographical!

Will check in later - Donna

• nhsuzanne
    18 years ago

Good Morning,

Just checking in before I go off to ride. It's a big day here DS is FINALLY moving into his own apartment!! I will go over and help him get settled when I am done with my ride!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Marci, you must be elated about your beloved Steelers playing in the SB tomorrow! I am not a football fan of any kind but I will be routing for the Steelers myself!!

• marci_pa
    18 years ago

NHSuzanne - I am elated!! It is a frenzy of Black and Gold around here. We had a pep rally at preschool Thursday and Friday and it was so cute see their enthusiasm. One Mom made Steeler cookies, another donated black and gold beaded necklaces and of course, everyone wore their Steeler gear. The pastor played his guitar and we sang the Steeler's praises!! But I do have to say that I don't want to be anywhere near downtown tomorrow!! I just want to stay home and watch a great football game.

I haven't been keeping up with the posts this week and I apologize for that. DH is teaching classes on safety this week and he's been home in the evenings. A change for us, so I have been spending time with him.

((Joanne)) - I am sorry to hear that your Mom suffered another stroke. My grandmother suffered several strokes and I know how hard it is on the patient and the caregivers. Find your strength wherever you can.

((Maddie)) - The right job is out there. And hopefully it won't include unfair workplace policies and 12 hour days. Kudos to you for having such an upbeat attitude.

Patti - I hope you are feeling better. I just realized that I never answered your question about My Friend Leonard. If you want to borrow it, I will gladly sent it your way. My DS is going to borrow both Frey books to read and see what all the fuss is about, but he doesn't need them until May. I want to read several books he has, so he is bringing them home in May and planning on taking the Frey books back with him. So if you don't mind sending it back to me when you are done, I will mail it to you.

Tikanas - I hope the procedure on your knee provides the relief that you are hoping for.

Lynn - Good to finally hear from you. Keep us posted on your whereabouts.

Amy - Good to hear from you too! Love it when you drop by and update us on your life.

John - Glad you popped in to answer the questions. Loved your answer about the laundry detergent!!

Raeanne - Hope you are having a fantastic time!!

Jen - Does Tara have tubes in her ears? I thought I remembered both girls getting the surgery. Hope she is feeling better by now.

Donna & DeeMarie - It is nice to know that our sister States are routing for the Steelers. Thanks!

BJ - Spanked? Let's just hope it is a great game.

milkdud - Congrats on the expected grandbaby! I can't wait for the day I can hold a grandchild. A good friend of mine, who is 8 years younger just announced she will be a first time grandmother in September. Her DS and my DD went to school together. But my DD is far from settling down and my DS is happily enjoying the single life in Florida. I have to dote on my niece's kids for now.

Besh - Did you read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls? I just finished it and have to say it was a great book. But I found myself doubting the story in several places after the James Frey's confessions. Hope I haven't become a doubting Thomas.

Doing all my errands and housework today so I can relax tomorrow before the big game.

Later,
    Marci

• milkdud
    18 years ago

Good morning. It was so nice to see so many familiar faces posting yesterday and today.

BJ and Marci, sounds like football is in the air where y'all live. I'm not a sports fan, but I do (barely) know about Superbowl Sunday. Y'all enjoy every minute of it. Meanwhile, I'll be scrapbooking. lol

Amy, I've thought a lot about your posts about your WOE. Now that I've thought about it, it's the WOE that works best for me, too. It makes perfect sense to me, and I need to get back to it. When I was eating like that, the pounds just melted away. Being a preschool teacher, I inhale way too many carbs during the week, and the weekends aren't much better. Thanks for bringing it up!

Suzanne, I can appreciate your joy today in moving out the son. However, ironically, my 28-yr. old son is right this minute moving in all his wordly possesions for a few weeks from his apt. which caught on fire last week. He'll be closing on his first home near the end of the month.

Tikanas, hope the knee is feeling better today. I'll be following your progress in case I need to have this done.

Jen, my sons used to always get ear infections when they were little. One friend at the time teased me that my monthly doctor bills were as much as her house note!

Dee, hope you and your dh enjoy Superbowl Sunday cozily all alone.

Marci, I'm in the midst of a dilemma and maybe you can understand. After having taught preschoolers for many years, I think I may be burning out badly. I've caught everything they've had this year, haven't had but a few weeks where I've been well, the children are more belligerent and rude yearly, and the parents seem to be more demanding and unreasonable than ever. The current learning center where I teach only supports the parents; the teachers have no say or receive any respect. I'm ready to stop the insanity.

But, all I've ever been is a teacher, so I have no other marketable skills. My dh is supportive of me quitting, but I would need to find employment ASAP. I'm almost 60, bad knees and hip, so sales doesn't sound good. As a matter of fact, it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm just lost right now about myself. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone here might have.

Sorry for being such a downer, but I'm really feeling too down to find a perkier way to post.

• marci_pa
    18 years ago

(((Milkdud))) - There have been years when I have felt burned out. Last year, as a matter of fact. The kids in 2 of our classes were just not a good fit. There were too many personalities that clashed and we were having minor staff problems. It was tough to hold on, but this year, things have taken a turn for the better. So, as you know, each year can be different. Sounds to me like the school itself may be the problem. I have worked at 2 different preschools and the one where I am at now is the superior in every way. Maybe you could look into a different type of preschool setting. I work in a private preschool and would not want to work any other place. Is your center governed by the state? Do you have private preschools there? How about starting a small daycare/preschool in your home? (Not my cup of tea, but thought I'd throw it out there.) Check local libraries and see if they have a story hour or could use someone to help set up something like that. YMCA preschool programs? Maybe they need teachers. How about being a teacher's aide in the public schools? The pressure would be off you yet you would still be around children. I myself would like to work in a bookstore when I retire. I have worked with the public before so I have know it isn't all peaches and cream, but I would still like to give it a try.

I do agree that without the parent's support or the support of the administrators, you must feel like you have your hands tied. Hope you find a solution. And feel free to email me if you just need to "chat" about the situation.

Marci

• zig123
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone

It's been a long time since I have posted but do lurk when I have time.

Just wanted to stop in and wish both Marci and BJ's teams luck. My son and his girl friend are working the super bowl game tomorrow and one of the perks are 4 tickets a piece. We are headed to Detroit to pick up my brother and sister-in-law who are flying in from the Seattle area. Then meeting friends for dinner and since lots of snow is predicted we decided to stay in Detroit tonight and take in all the pre game hype.

I hope to start posting again now that I am not traveling and have joined a private practice.

zig

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Hola Amigos

Zig - ((((WELCOME BACK)))) you have been missed and I am so happy that you will be stopping by. Enjoy the company and be safe traveling. I have those articles I told you about, just email me your address and I will send them off if you are interested.

Lynn - good luck with the move! Please keep us posted.

Amy - I agree with Maddie - you know your body the best. Ornaments would be beautiful.

Milkdud - I am sure that you can notice a difference in the children (or maybe I should say parents) over the years and I am sure that is a big part of your feeling burnt out at times. It's hard to work in an unsupportive environment. Maybe you can convince a local church to start a preschool program - that is how it happened for me. I know the pay would be an issue there.

Maddie - Must feel like the world has been lifted off your shoulders - WTG girl. I wore my bikini pin on vacation and took a photo - if it came out well, I will send it off to you. The workers at the resort loved it - if I ever go back I am bringing some of your pins with me for gifts.

Marci - I read Memoirs of a Geisha, Open House and started another book (title escapes me) on vacation. Memoirs was excellent, Open House was light and an easy read - which surprised me because it was an Oprah book and they are usually very heavy and deep. The 3rd book is a Nora Roberts it's the last of her In the Garden trilogy.

Joanne - (((HUGS))) my heart goes out to your mom, you and your family - what a trying time for everyone. I am with you on working very hard to have a life for my children that in no way resembles my childhood - I have also tried to do the same for mine.

BJ - how tragic for your friend to have left the world that way. Sounds like he touched a lot of people. I feel for you right now with all the pressures in your life and not feeling very supported by DH - I am sure this will pass with time - in the meantime just do what is most important to you.

Suzanne - looks like your world is improving everyday - new job, DS moves out, and you are enjoying springlike rides with SP - life is good!

Donna - I'm with you on having no superbowl preference - as a matter of fact if I had my way I would prefer to watch a chick flick and eat a bowl of popcorn LOL.

Jen - I hope Tara's ear is feeling better by now.

Dee - glad you got the tickets - isn't it amazing how much they cost these days? Too bad about MIL - a fear like that has such an impact on your fun - my mom has similar fears and she misses out on much.

We had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend the Dominican Republic to anyone that is interested. The resort we had reservations for bumped us and 40 other people out. They gave our rooms to a group that came. There is a real language barrier that they use to their advantage when necessary - so it is very hard to get an answer. But they bumped us to their sister resort which was gorgeous and we convinced them to upgrade us to their "Royal Services" which gave us our own pool, beach, restaurant for breakfast and lunch and a lot of little perks that we enjoyed. The weather was stunning, the beach went on forever with beautiful sand and turqoise water. The grounds were lush and the rooms were set in villas throughout, so each morning I took a 45 minute walk around the grounds. The rest of day was spent moving from the pool to the beach, reading, eating and drinking the most delicous pina coladas. We did walk in the evening too and I did swim a lot, so I got some exercise in. I planned on kayaking and horseback riding, but never did. The weather was about 85 everyday. We got home around midnight last night and I have a ton of laundry staring at me.

So enjoy your day, I hope the best team wins and tomorrow day is DIET day for me. I am planning a week of soup and salads.

• aka_raeanne
    18 years ago

Tikanis - my "unbirthday" friend - I am glad to read that you have been taking care of your knee - but I know your demands don't allow you to do exactly as the Dr. orders. I thought I mentioned you in my post and when I just scanned it - I saw my oversight. Wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and sending good vibes to you and your knee.

Off to do some food shopping so I will have some healthy choices to rely on.

• deemarie5500
    18 years ago

WELCOME BACK, Zig! It's wonderful to see an old (not literal!) face back into our fold. Please join in when you can. Hope all is well with the family. Have fun at that game today!

Not much to say, just signed on long enough to work on my nails....I love to multitask! We just took down our SnowVillage and I'm about to finish taking the polish off the nails, file down those that cracked from my work, and then jump into the shower.

As it turns out, by friend's DD called us to say they are having a small group over later. DH accepted (of course! because it gets him out of working on that #&%()#() master bath LOL!). I'm going to make some choc.chip cookies and a huge pot of pasta e-fagioli to take with us. Easy, peasey as BJ would say.

Finger's crossed for the Steelers! Hope it's a fun, safe game for everyone.

Take care, eat healthy, and NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
    DeeMarie

Brunch: coffee, ww toast, 3-egg white omelete w/ low fat cheddar, 2 thin slices of canadian bacon
    Snack: apple or banana
    Snack before leaving for the party: Light & Fit Peach Yogurt
    Super Bowl: not sure....limiting myself to one glass of red wine and then head for the veggies

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Raeanne! Welcome back!! I missed you. Check your email. Your vacation sounds wonderful!

Hi Zig, nice to "meet" you.

Jen, I hope Tara is better by now. Ear aches are no fun.

Milkdud, I am sorry about your job situation. I am particularly intolerant of parents who indulge their little monsters while they make life miserable for the rest of us. There! I said it! When my DD was born my Mom took me aside and told me that one of the most important things I could teach her was manners. I am so glad that I took that piece of advice! We all have to live with eachother and if we can be kind and polite we have won 1/2 the battle. Stepping off soap box now.... : )
    You have gotten some good advice here. I hope that you find a way to continue on as a teacher in a different setting. Teachers have a special gift.

DeeMarie, of course DH would rather go to a super bowl party than fix the bathroom! I hope you have fun at the party.

NH Suzanne, I am still looking for rain....I love to hear about your rides. Did DS get moved okay?

Donna, My "friend" is so hooked on the back episodes of 24 that I can hardly pry her away :)

Thank you everyone for the well wishes re my knee procedure. It went well! Already I have about 60% range of motion back in that joint. I am able to sit "Indian style" for short periods of time for the first time in months! I should be seeing further improvements over the next few days. I go back for re evaluation and a possible 2nd tx in 3 weeks. I have prescribed exercises and am applying lots of moist heat. I have to tell you that I am EXHAUSTED! Apparently this is the norm following this procedure. Lots of naps this weekend, not my usual running around. I am getting antsy!

I am not into football but I think I need to support the west coast here. So I'll go out on a limb and join BJ. "Go Hawks!" See Ya at half time...

Tikanas

Sponsored