Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Come sit by me and explain WW points!

Posted by whazzup (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 04 at 9:42

I'm going to have to ditch Atkins and do WW. I feel so deprived on the Atkins diet. (See my "I would kill for a cheeto thread) So I went to the WW website last night and there's just so much information there I was hoping someone would help me weed through it. I have done WW before but it was about twenty years ago and it has changed a little bit.

First, is it necessary to join a meeting group? What about the online membership? Is that necessary too? Let me cut to the chase - I don't want to pay anything if I don't have to. I don't think I need the meetings because I have a good friend who is going to lose weight with me. She's my walking buddy and I will have support at home, too.

Points - can someone explain this to me? I assume there must be a book or something that tells how many points a food is worth. What are flex points? These are points you can spend however you want, is that correct? My main question is, how do I know how many points I should be eating? I've seen the calculator that Sugar posted so I can figure out how to calculate the point value of a food item and I've seen points even listed on some foods in the store. I just don't know how many points I should allow myself in a day. I would like to lose at a good steady rate, nothing drastic.

A few years ago, a friend gave me a little black binder she got from her WW meetings. It has some kind of plan in it and I remember that it also had a book that calculated points from restaurant fare. I'm off this morning to rummage through my closet and see if I can locate that book! I packed it away when I was thin :(

Sorry for the long post. As you can see, I have many questions for you! Thanks for any information you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Come sit by me and explain WW points!

I'm not a member either, but I am using their point system. I have the book that tells how to determine how many points you should have each day. (I'm supposed to have 20) I will pick up my book when I go home for lunch so I can look it up for you.
You get so many points per day, plus 35 flex points for the week. So if you want to splurge one day, or if you go over points a few times...you are covered.
I put the calculator that Sugar posted plus a link to restaurant foods that someone else posted on one of my webpages. Weight Watcher info

o

MaryAnn, thanks for the information! I just found out there is a WW meeting place about a block from my house. I've never noticed it before. Anyway, the registration is free right now and the meetings are 11.00 a week. So, I am considering going ahead and walking over there this evening for their 7 PM meeting. On reconsideration, I think it would be good for me to have someone so close who can answer my questions.

o

Hey, you can't beat "free"!
Good luck with the program and if you change your mind and still need to know your points target, just let me know.

Be sure to check back here to let us know how you are doing!

o

I'm pretty excited. I know that sounds kind of lame, to be excited about joining WW! :) But the possibility of being able to eat tomatoes and grapefruit again actually thrills me! I'll keep you posted!

o

whazzup .. here is the amount of points U can have a day. Find your weight & that tells U the # of points a day.

000 – 149> 20
150 – 174> 22
175 – 199> 24
200 – 224> 26
225 – 249> 28
250 – 274> 30
275 – 299> 31
300 – 324> 32
325 – 349> 33
350 – 999> 34
Ignore the title of this page as the rest is very good.
http://www.augustgames.com/weightwatchers.htm

I think I posted the restraunt (sp) food points.
I have other sites but they were censored :(

It has been over 4 years since I have attended a meeting as the closest here is over 30 miles away 1 way. I also feel like with all the info on the net I can do good on my own & it is free. Meeting are very good though so if U can handle the cost go for it. Even going to meetings some site on the net is good to have.

A good dessert..
Pumpkin Fluff.
1 can of PURE pumpkin
a package of SUGAR FREE vanilla or Butterscotch INSTANT pudding. 1 cup of SKIM milk.
Mix together with your favorite pumpkin pie spice. This is very good & 4 points for all or 1 point for 1/2 cup serving.
A dab of fat free coolwhip is good too.
For tonite I have made a jello dessert for tonite. I took a pack of sugar free jello added a couple tablespoons of sugar free ice cream. Desected one tangerine.. it was large.. mixed all together & it is like a orange dreamcycle with fruit in it. I kinda made this up but I had a little jello left over after filling 2 cups & it was very good.
I try to make something good but low point for every nite.
I guess it's something to look forward too.

I'm still looking for good sites & recipes so I'll share as I find them.

My address is under my name if U want someone to talk to.

Here is a link that might be useful: a good calorie chart

o

Hi! Just popping in to see how you are doing.

I did attend a few meetings to start and did enjoy them but I was sooooo rushed getting home and then to the meeting it got too much. I have the points books, I treat myself to the WW magazine because I love to read about the success stories, learn about the new products in the stores and enjoy it cover to cover. Good recipes, week menus and more.

What ever you decide to do, you are doing this for yourself and that's great!

Cheers,

McPeg

o

Just ran across this site---3fatchicks.com----they have diet recipes with the WW points!!!

o

Yesterday was my first day counting points. It takes a little getting used to, but it's not hard. I ate way below what I need, though. At the end of the day I had about eight points left and I know this is not good. I think it was because after being on Atkins, I just wanted to eat nothing but veggies and fruit!

I wrote the points on a lot of things in magic marker, so it should get easier as time goes by. Drinking the recommended water amount is not a problem because I've always done that.

This is a great site for support, too!

o

I definitely overate last night. And I don't know why! I wasn't hungry, just thought I wanted some chips after I had already had dinner. Then I felt bad because my stomach was too full. Oh well, I feel good today and even got some good compliments from a lady that I hadn't seen in a few months! She made the remark that I had lost weight and my hair cut made me look so much younger! Words like that sure help to give you even more motivation!! So I will not be pigging out tonight!

o

whazzup be careful of eating too few points as your body will adjust to that. You want to be able to eat more when U reach our goal. When I was going to WW the leader got on me for not eating enough. Also be sure U get the protein & calsium in. I don't worry about a point as I probably miscalculate at least that much. I may repeat myself (can't remember all I posted) but somewhere I have a site that has point count for a lot of foods.. I'll look for that to help U. A few sites I have Spike won't let me put on :^(

o

Sugar, I have plenty of Weight Watchers books and guides that have the point count for everything under the sun. So even though I appreciate the effort, no need for you to get on Spike's bad side on my account :)

I am sure I will learn to eat more points. Like I said before it's just that I am so satisfied right now with veggies and fruits because I missed them on Atkins.

o

I basically follow the WW program, but I don't count points, I count calories instead. I, too, want FREE! LOL! Figuring out calories, then points was just one more thing I'd have to figure out. I've learned how to count the calories of every recipe or meal I cook. I believe, following the WW guidelines, I've been at 20-22 points for the past 5+ months. I've lost 56 lbs. & DH has lost 50+. DH and I have re-learned portion control and lowfat/lowcal eating. We had just "forgot" over the past 5-6 years. The online WW boards are an invaluable source of information and motivation!

o

For the point system to work, you have to eat ALL your points. You might feel full, but your body needs the food for fuel and if it doesn't get it it will hold on to the fat your body already has stored and you won't lose as quickly and steadily. That's why WW leaders get on people who don't eat all their points!

At first, it is hard to eat all your points. You're probably thinking "I can't eat that! That's too many calories!" WW doesn't want you to count calories, that's why a point value has been assigned. Instead of eating low point foods, try eating higher point foods and ease into the program until you feel more comfortable. Eventually you'll get into a routine and wonder why you don't have MORE points!

As you lose weight, your points drop. You might be allowed 25 points now, but soon you'll only be allowed 23 points. And guess what? You'll begin to miss those 2 points! We always laugh and ask if we could borrow someone else's points if they don't use them!

You also must make sure that your portion size is correct. Don't eat a huge apple and count it as 2 points. It's not. A baseball size apple is 2 points. A grapefruit size apple is going to be 3-4. Measure everything until you know for certain exactly what a cup looks like, count out those jelly beans, pretzel sticks and potato chips. You may even want to invest in a food scale so you know what 4 oz of meat actually is. You'd be surprised at what a difference it makes.

And don't forget that if you exercise you earn more points. You have to eat those points too or your body goes into shock again and stores fat. You'll need an exercise point calculator to calculate those points. They are in addition to what you already have. And you really do need to eat them. I use my exercise points as my "rewards" points. If I exercise and earn 3-4 points, then I get a 1/2 cups of REAL ice cream or 2 REAL cookies.

Flex points are just that, they can be used any time during the week to supplement your existing points. It use to be that you had a point range, say 20-25 points per day. Now it's a straight 20 points but with your flex points you can supplement those 20 points with an extra 5 so you can eat more. It basically adds up to the same thing, they're just calling it something different.

For those of you who were going to WW before they started Flex points, you might want to recheck their books (if you can) and get the updated point values for things. Use to be that one of those little single serve applesauce cups were only 1 point. Now they're 2!

Maryanne

o

I've never seen the WW exercise point calculator. Is there one online?

o

Yes there is an exercise calculator online for subscribing members. They call it a Bonus Points Calculator.

If you can tell us what type of exercise you wanted checked, I could look it up for you.

Cheers,
McPeg

o
Thanks!!

Thanks McPeg! I'm not sure what their catagories are, but my exercises right now consist of brisk walking, step exercises and sit ups.

o
Exercise Points

Brisk Walking (15 minute mile) - 15 minutes = 1.5 points burned

Step exercise - 15 minutes = 2.0 points
(you can use your home stairs, put on the music channel and get hopping)

Any 80's music fans? Disco dancing - 15 minutes = 1.5 points

Pilates - 15 minutes = 1.0 point

I better get my eyes examined...I looked at the list quickly and I THOUGHT IT READ BIRDWATCHING (got briefly excited...more my speed)...

Billiards - 15 minutes = 0.5 point (I gotta quarter - who wants to play??? SHould warn you...I suck at it!)

Could not find situps but Gymnastics (also uses a lot of muscles) burns 5 minutes (FIVE) - 0.5 points.

and my favourite...of course....

Scottish dancing - 10 minutes (if I can stop laughing) over 2 crossed kitchen knives..... = 1.5 points

Hey, have to try that as soon as I can find that scottish/gaelic tv channel. Might be a nice change from disco dancing although I have visions of stuff in my china cabinet spewing forth onto the floor.

Hope this helps!

McPeg

o

Thanks McPeg! It's good to know that the steps are such a good form of exercising!

It's amazing what a good workout you can get from dancing! I haven't tried the Scottish dancing yet. 2 knives crossed on the floor? LOL

o
scottish dancing?

I suggest the knives to replace the two crossed swords. They kinda hop over and around them with their arms in the air and sometimes join arms - looks like a cross between square dancing, and irish jig and someone who is waiting for the toilet.

McPeg

o

QB.you have me rolling on the floor with the bird watching....I am thinking that would be good for me too.....

o

Hi Ladies,

I am going to try switching over to weight watchers from Sommersizing. I have 40 lbs of baby fat to get off and sommersizing just isn't working for me right now.

I can't attend meetings because they are also 30 miles one way from my house and with two small children, I just can't do it. I thought about joining online, but really can't justify $60 either. Sorry to sound like a tightwad.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,

Jen

o

Jen, I'm doing Weight Watchers without a membership. I've lost around 15 lbs. and it's been easy. I have put a points calculator and some good links on one of my webpages. I hope they are a help for you. WW info

o

Jen, glad to help if we can. Do you get Weight Watchers magazine in your area? library? I weigh 145 pounds at present, started at 157 pounds. I use about 18 points a day which works for me. I don't miss meals, I actually eat when I am hungry during the day but I annotate what/how much I eat in a diary so I don't forget. I know I am hungry mainly in the afternoon so that is when I 'graze' on healthy foods - fruit salads, low fat yogurts, low fat chips (small portions) and I count everything. At night I am more tired than hungry so I usually have a nice veggie/broth soup, some fish/meat (about the size of the palm of your hand and fruit or veggies. Some nights I just have soup and a slice of toast. Most of my food is in the afternoon.

Do check the link above. Someone on one of these threads has posted a points calculator link online. Start reading food packages - avoid hydrogenated oils of any type.

There is a lot on WW website but I can post more info for you. Please feel free to join us on the Diet Pals thread. Later on I will start posting more info on portions and points. If you can tell me a basic list of foods you enjoy eating, I can give you the points for them from my books.

I have a family funeral today, so I may not be posting again until tomorrow.

I will start a new thread about Weight Watchers basics.

Cheers,
McPeg

o

I tried the Zone over the summer and lost a whopping 2 lbs. and gained them back a week later. It was just too hard balancing all the carbs and proteins and I felt so deprived. I joined WW online Jan. 31 and have lost 9 lbs. I love WW online because I can still keep track of all my points (they have a points tracker), enter my weight each week, and I am part of a great chat group where we challenge each other to do at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. I should have done WW last summer rather than the zone - I ended up binging on carbs because I had denied myself all summer - and so I gained even more weight. By focusing on WW points, I am truly learning what the meaning of "full" is, and I am not snacking due to emotions. I love it!

Sheryl

o

Sheryl, I feel the same way. I did The Zone for about 2 months on the advice of my cardiologist. I lost 9 lbs, but could not sustain it.

In the meantime, my internist suggested Weight Watchers. He says most of his patients who need to lose weight have been successful on it. He and I are both against "pills" -- at least those which are on the market currently.

Bottom Line: in 3 weeks, I have lost 8 lbs! It's much easier for me to eat what I want, but track it!

Good Luck!!
D

o

DeeMarie, did you find it difficult to plan meals on the Zone? I know I overate because I couldn't really figure out the block system. I ate WAAAYYYY too much cheese and nuts. In fact, I ate too much protein calorie-wise. And yet, I felt SO deprived. I'm so glad to be on WW now.

Sheryl

o

Sheryl, I found it very difficult to plan meals because my husband has to eat dinner with me, and he does not need to lose weight! I always had a problem with the balance and percentages!

In the long run, I think my cardiologist was well-intentioned in mentioning The Zone, but my male friend is doing much better on it.

My internist has been asking me for years to try WW and I resisted (because it wasn't fast enough or trendy enough for me). Now that I know that on WW, I can eat anything (just not EVERYTHING! LOL), it's easier for me. I'm a natural at writing the points and planning out what to order at a restaurant, saving points for a special party, etc. There was no way to do that with the Zone...everything was timed, and if you don't follow it exactly, you don't lose the weight. I've lost more on WW in 3 weeks than I did in almost 2 months in The Zone.

Continued good luck to you.

o

I thought I should post a follow up to this thread since I joined weight watchers. I did walk up to the meeting on Jan 27 and have been going weekly ever since. (I missed one meeting because I had to travel to DC). But since joining five weeks ago, I have lost ten pounds. The WW way of eating works for me because nothing is off limits. Not only am I losing weight but I feel really good. I've already dropped one dress size :) I am extremely conscious of portion size now. And I eat low fat meats and healthy vegetables and fruits. I am rarely hungry, too so that's a big plus. The only thing that I need to improve on is becoming more active. I am not able to do very strenuous workouts but I have started a walking program. Just wanted to post how well WW is working for me in case anyone is considering it. It's easy - all you have to do is DO it. And I do think going to the meetings makes a BIG difference to me. Knowing that I have to weigh every week is a big motivator for me! I can easily see myself eating healthy, low fat foods even after I hit my goal weight.

o
RE: Come sit by me and explain WW points! Follow up!

I thought I should post a follow up to this thread since I joined weight watchers. I did walk up to the meeting on Jan 27 and have been going weekly ever since. (I missed one meeting because I had to travel to DC). But since joining five weeks ago, I have lost ten pounds. The WW way of eating works for me because nothing is off limits. Not only am I losing weight but I feel really good. I've already dropped one dress size :) I am extremely conscious of portion size now. And I eat low fat meats and healthy vegetables and fruits. I am rarely hungry, too so that's a big plus. The only thing that I need to improve on is becoming more active. I am not able to do very strenuous workouts but I have started a walking program. Just wanted to post how well WW is working for me in case anyone is considering it. It's easy - all you have to do is DO it. And I do think going to the meetings makes a BIG difference to me. Knowing that I have to weigh every week is a big motivator for me! I can easily see myself eating healthy, low fat foods even after I hit my goal weight.

o
RE: Come sit by me and explain WW points! Follow up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here