deemarie5500
14 years ago

Happy MONDAY!

Comments (55)

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Praying to St. Anthony that Jan finds her planner! Maybe he'll help me find my wedding ring too. (still missing).

[[[[[[[[Raeanne]]]]]]]]]] Hope you feel better soon.

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Good Monday all,

Okay, who started all this talk about falling? Last night I fell on my way to the barn. Glare ice like Raeanne and totally unexpected!

((((Raeanne))))) hugs. Good thing we have hard heads! LOL. It was treacherous last night. We had freezing rain on and off all night and the ride into work was fun. No school, now it's raining (pouring) with warmish temps. Crazy. I hope you are okay.

Also, to Jan, Dee Marie, and Marci. I hope you are all feeling better. My worst fear is falling down and not being able to get back up. When I sprained my ankle last summer I didn't get up but rather crawled up to the house...now there was a sight.

Jan:

Saint Anthony, Saint Anthony, please come down. Something is missing and must be found.

It really works, just keep believing and repeating it.

Dee, sorry about the Jets. Ces't la vie.

Tikanis, I laughed at your post today. I am very accident prone and my father used to make a big deal when I dropped something. I can still here him now "It's a good thing you don't want to be a brain surgeon. I can hear it now as yo drop the brain on the floor, oops...." It did a world of good for my self esteem! Are you by any chance left handed?

• Related Discussions

SS Daily Support, January 3 - January 9, 2005

Q

Comments (52)
    Hi Guys! Well, after the light dusting of snow that we had yesterday. It snowed last night and it's sticking now. The little ones bundled up in snow pants and the rest and headed out. They got their fill of snow, had hot choc and brownies and are vegging out now. On Friday, we hosted the neighborhood teens for a couple of movies, pizza, dino-nuggets and chat about whatever teens like to talk about. Then we built a fire and roasted a few marshmallows. After driving everyone home, we enjoyed the fire until it burned out. Tikanas: How's the vegan meal planning coming along with DS? I have to check out the cooking forum, I guess. Saturday, I spent fixing up a leg-o-lamb for company. I served it with roasted peppers and onions, with a big greek salad on the side. Appetizers were yellow and orange peppers wrapped in prosciutto and Soppressata salami and Asiago cheese bundles. It was all yummers and then we had a few pistachios and tiny, tiny brownies for dessert, along with some homemade hot buttered rums-----HEY!- it IS winter time here! I have been good with my diet and exercise all week and am down a pound. I decided to have fun one day a week and not beat myself up about it. From the beginning of the year, I just made myself a deal that, during 6 days of the week, I'll pose the question, "Is this GOOD for my body?" before I eat anything. The 7th day, I don't have to ask the question or go traveling on a guilt trip. I am tired of spending the last 8 years on a diet and am seeing how this works for me. The winter snow brightness has brought DH's mood back out of the depressions he faces in the winter overcast here, so things around the house are cheerier for now. Besh -as Jimmy Buffet would say, "I WANNA GO WHERE IT'S WARM!" lol. Just some constant sunlight would be great! Raeanne~ I have to thank you for the card, you sweet thing. You always brighten my day. You are such a thoughtful gal. ((((((((((Love ya)))))))))) Thanks so much. I am here today; I have at least 12 loads of laundry to do. Our family company left and there are sheets, towels, bedding, etc, etc, etc. I wish I had a BIG table to fold on! Why are laundry rooms so durned small? Marci~ I am supposed to read some specific books for the Expressions in Writing class I'm taking. I'll pass them on to you if they're good. One I read this summer was Knight in Rusty Armor. It'd be good for lots of guys I know to read! It's very easy to read and cute and reflective. In other news, my ex has decided to marry the girl he left his most recent wife for. They keep getting younger. (((SIGH))) Anyway, almost exactly 1 year after he divorced the last one, he's marrying again. I fear he'll never settle down, but he is super committed to our 2 girls, and they to him, so that's the best I can hope for. Neither DD is big on marriage, though, and I can see why! NHSuzanne~ Sister Gift with Words - You paint a calm picture. Thank you for the vision. My thought on the birthday exchange is that it should be easy. We're all busy chicks and we want to stay connected with ease. But I'd love to have a b-day pal and then ANOTHER pal that I could send cards and trinkets to on and off over the year. Fun mail is FUN mail! I'll go with the flow as long as I don't have to organize it! ------- ((((THANKS MARCI and MADDIE for all you do!)))))) Joanne and Gretchen! LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! Thanks for checking in! Well, I better get something done around here! PS: John, we miss you -- still.
    ...See More

Daily Support 31 Jan - 6 Feb

Q

Comments (24)
    Ivamae, I am keeping you in my prayers.... I am still numb and just finding it so difficult to come to grips with losing my beloved husband.... I have a wonderful suppport system with my church family, but the crying just seems to come and go and I don't know how to get it to stop. I wrote this tribute to him that a friend of mine will read at the memorial service on Valentine's day.. ********************************************** It seems like such a long time since yesterday When Bob was right here with us. Though growing old and sometimes struggling, He brought us so much cheer with his hugs, and little kisses of love But now as we stand upon this shore, We cannot trace the path Christ leads him down, We only know that since yesterday He sees his Savior's face. His first day home since yesterday! We wonder at that thought! One day we will know that special joy That moment must have brought him No clouds, no mists, no rain since yesterday, No pain, no questions, "Why?" Unshadowed now he sees the sun and time has passed him by. We miss him so since yesterday, Each memory rises up in our minds, And for just a moment he again is here alive. How we long to share & see his smile, And feel his special love�.. Yet, could we call him back again, To leave the delight of his soul?? To leave the gladness of the morning For one more pain filled night? Ah, no, we release him to the Lord, To let him go with joy, Because we will meet again one day and We would not want to take away the joy he's known since yesterday. We cannot deny the special gift the Savior had to give? For he who struggled so for life, has just begun to live! I am relieved that he is no longer in pain, but my selfish side wants him home with me again.... but one day we will be together forever... As for weighing, I have no idea, and I eon't really care right now.... I have no appetite, so my interest isn't on food.. but I eat to stay alive.. anf that's about it... Maybe I will have more to offer after this is all over and I can get back to som semblance of normalcy again.
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon. July 25th thru Sun. July 31st

Q

Comments (5)
    Ivamae - hope you are able to sign on to our room at Facebook. Jan - glad you checked in - I cracked up over your song choice LOL. Come join us on Facebook. It is so much easier than posting here. I will continue to check in here though. BJ - missing you. Suzanne - love the photo of the baby chicks - they are too cute. I don't think I knew you could get them through the mail until you talked about them arriving at work one day LOL. It has cooled down considerably around here and we even got some much needed rain today.
    ...See More

Daily support Mon 10/25 to Sun 10/31

Q

Comments (8)
    Okay...this is ridiculous.... 6 posts for the whole week? We need to get some renewals here and start getting our old gang going again. I was driving down the road thinking how sad it would be if, after all these years, this group wasn't here for each other. Everyone is going through transitions and is busy, but this is the place we keep coming back to. What can we do? I vote for a questionaire to get to know each other's recent happenings... Questions about marital status, kids, pets, farm animals, likes, dislikes, pet peaves, food, favorite recipes, vacation destinations, favorite memories, treasures you hold dear, etc. Has FaceBook left our GardenWeb group in the dust? I hope not. :-( It'll be Rabbit/Rabbit on Monday and I hope everyone remembers it's the start of a new month and a reunion of friends here.
    ...See More
  • wodka
    14 years ago

suzanne, thanks (for the Saint Anthony prayer.) I have turned the house upside down looking. I'll probably find it in some goofy place, like the refrigerator....

I know you asked Tikanis this, but, for what it's worth, I am left-handed. I remember years ago hearing that a study had been done and revealed that left-handers were more likely to die in accidents than right-handers. I'm beginning to believe it!

Another fall?!! You might want to re-consider that helmet!

Have a good evening, everyone!

• maddie_in_ky
    14 years ago

Hi all!

My goodness, I'm not going out of the house 'cause I don't want to be the 5th fall! (((Hugs))) to everyone that has taken a trip! And Raeanne, please be careful re: your fall. I'm sure that Tikanis is waaaay more knowledgeable in this, but having worked at a rehab center for folks with Brain Injuries, I know that even a slight whack on the head can be serious, and can cause problems even years later. (Sorry, I don't want to sound preachy, but hearing that scares me-)

Speaking of brain injuries, I went to the funeral today of a former client of the rehab. He had an unusual last name, and when he was admitted I asked his wife if he was related to a woman that I've know since junior high, and it turns out that he was her older brother. This is the nicest family **ever**, and my friend had 3 older brothers, and she has buried all of them. I don't know how her parents can stand the losses. I just feel so sorry for the family; sometimes it seems the worst things happen to the greatest people. Sigh. So, Suzanne, your comment "Seriously, a split second changes everything sometimes", is so very, very true.

Well, it's snowing here, but I don't think we're supposed to get much, if any. It was in the upper 50s yesterday; go figure!

Dee--I'm sorry the Jets lost, they played a good game! Although, the Colts are the closest team to us, so that's kinda cool. I had mixed feelings about the Vikings/Saints game b/c I really like Brett, but then the Saints have never been to the Super Bowl--who dat?! :) I've got to say, GO SAINTS! :)

Marci--I'd like to be on the birthday card exchange, too! Good to see you post, also! :)

Hope all is well!

Hugs,

Maddie

• marci_pa
    14 years ago

Okay - I think we all need to pray to St. Anthony that we find our balance!!

Raeanne & NHSuzanne - Is there such a thing as a "brain sprain"? LOL Hope you are both okay and not too sore.

I am doing as well as can be expected. I bought a new pair of shoes today that can fit the ankle brace. Now I won't feel so fashion challenged, since my boots weren't really for suitable for wearing in public!

I took my car for an estimate today (a parent backed into me in the parking lot at preschool) and the auto body guy said he thinks he can put the bumper back in place and just repaint it. I hope it only takes a few days to fix.

Birthday card exchange so far:
    Tikanis
    Milkdud
    Maddie
    Marci

Patti sent me the nicest gift basket today. What a pleasant surprise to open an unexpected gift. It has all sorts of Italian goodies: pasta, dipping spices, olives, crackers, cheese and some tea. THANK YOU PATTI!!

Now every one who HASN"T fallen, tread softly and be careful!

Marci

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll be in the birthday card exchange, Marci. Even tho I'm sure I missed last year. Whomever I had, a million apologies!

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Marci,

Count me in on the birthday card exchange too please and thank you! I have been meaning to ask you which picture did you use for your desktop? I think I know but I am not sure!

Maddie, live in the moment because you never know. amen. How sad for that family.

Jan, I too am a lefty and I have always felt that accounted for my clumsiness. Not for the falling however. You cannot really predict all that your feet land on when walking like ice or an ever so small stone that sends your foot out from under you - that's my broken elbow story! LOL

I just got back from the barn and it's like a different world out there compared to last night! It's still almost 50 and the pavement is clear of any ice (for now). I am used to falling in the winter on the ice but you never know. Someone reminded me of Natasha Richardson which sends chills up my spine when I think of how often I fall on the ice! Maybe a helmet is in order LOL

Nurse your wounds all you injured parties! Nighty, night!

• donna_southnj
    14 years ago

Hi!

Quick check in - will be back tomorrow or probably Wednesday with a real post and PICTURES!!!!

Please count me in the birthday exchange.

Hugs and love to all who have fallen.

Donna

• milkdud_2007
    14 years ago

Good evening, you graceless people! LOL

I'm in such good company with the graceless! I'm as clumsy as they come for sure, so I can empathize with all of y'all, and I hope everyone is healing nicely now. All I have wrong with me at the moment is a very colorful backside of my hand where the IV had been during the colonoscopy. It was light turquoise until today, and now it's very colorful - shades of red, green, and purple, and still swollen somewhat. At least it doesn't hurt.

Today may be our last day of spring-like weather. We're due rain and cool temps the rest of the week. I was out in it today to attend a meeting, then grocery shop, and drop off books at the library, and it was lovely.

My church women's group is trying to work up a better plan for visiting the homebound members of the church. We now have 8 women willing to bake cake or bread to take when we visit. I don't know any of the people we'll be visiting, so this will be interesting. Oh, well! I'll know them by the time I leave. :)

This is a nice, slow week for me, so I'm taking advantage of it and doing little bitty projects around here. I turned in my service hours for the last 12 months to our sorority president, and I was surprised to see that I had 455 hours. I've enjoyed doing all the things and meeting lots of new people. Makes me feel so worthwhile.

I'm sneaking a peek at "The Bachelor" right now. High drama was predicted for tonight, and I haven't had much of that lately, so I figured why not tune in? Am I the only one who can't resist this show occasionally?

Wishing everyone sweet dreams and a terrific Tuesday!

• marci_pa
    14 years ago

NHSuzanne - I snagged the first two winter pictures you posted and right now I have the winter scene with the fence near the front. Makes snow look almost inviting! LOL

Birthday card exchange so far:

Tikanis
    Milkdud
    Maddie
    DeeMarie
    NHSuzanne
    Donna_SouthNJ
    Marci

• aka_raeanne
    14 years ago

Marci - you can add me to the birthday exchange - thanks for doing this, it means a lot. Oh I am sure I have had a brain sprain more than once.

Suzanne - It doesn't sound like you got hurt and I hope today you are still feeling ok. My neck is a bit stiff today, but not bad. Yes, Natashia Richardson weighed on my mind a bit.

Maddie - believe me I was very worried but when I saw so much improvement over night I decided to not go to the Dr. But I know I probably should have. Thanks for thinking of me.

donna - can't wait to see those photos.

Milkdud - 455 hours, that is a lot of service - I can tell you enjoy it. You are truly very special.

Jan - Many years ago I bought a book on organizing your life and lost it - so I know how you feel on the calendar/planner LOL.

Please no more falls they seem to be contagious around here.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• wodka
    14 years ago

Good morning!

I've got a small problem I would like to share with you people, who are so much wiser than I am. Please tell me if you think I am overreacting. I promise I won't take it personally.

A week or so ago I noticed there was a crack in our Pella double clad arched window at the front of the house. The Pella guy is coming out today to take a look at it - it could end up being quite an expensive repair, which makes me sick, because this house is only two years old.

We are a fairly new part of the subdivision. There is only one house across the street that faces our house. The family has two boys - kindergarten and first grade - who are beyond rambunctious. We have witnessed numerous occasions where their parents will yell at them and they totally ignore them. They have a huge backyard but play in the street out front, with bb guns, baseball bats (which they use to hit golf balls.) See where I'm heading? They also throw rocks, as witnessed by other neighbors.

I called the dad last week and told him about our broken window. I said I wasn' necessarily accusing his boys, but if he wouldn't mind, at least have them direct their rocks, bb guns, bats, etc. away from our house, because I do not want to have to go through the costly repairs again. I hate confrontation, so I was about to throw up even telling him this. He admitted that they had bb guns and threw rocks, but they were always supervised by him, which is just not true. (He works full-time, and the wife just lets the kids out and goes back in the house.)

So, this morning on our walk, it was not surprising to see several golf balls and the baseball bat out front. Neither were in their yard, per se, but the empty lots beside them. So, my neighbor picked up the balls, and I brought in the baseball bat. I guess if they saw me pick it up or ask me for it, I will give it back. For now, it's in my closet.

Have I turned into the mean old lady on the street that I used to despise when I was a kid? Perhaps I'm overly sensitive because we had to start completely over at an older age after losing it all in Katrina. I'm not a materialistic person, just want to keep what I have.

Have a good one. I'm looking forward to your free therapy!

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Good Tuesday,

I have to share this note from a (crazy) fellow horse woman! It seems falling is epidemic and I think my day will be filled reading similar responses to her post:

Round 1
    Very interesting.... Beware of the dreaded New England ICE, ICE comes Before the dreaded MUD!
    I had my colt gelded last week. It's been dry until today when we needed an Ark. So he was out 24 hours a day in the roundpen for optimum exercise to reduce swelling. HE'S FINE ! I have had to schlepp food and water out there at considerable effort to ensure the ungrateful's comfort. On one trip in the dark with a grain scoop in left hand complete with antibiotics and pain meds, and two flakes of choice hay in the other hand, I am carefully negotiating the dreaded ICE. Made it to the back barn, BOOM ! Feet gone, me over backwards, hay, grain, and meds, flying through the air. Managed to resoundingly crack my head on the steel edge of the partially opened barn door.
    Lay there checking for damages, and growing a goose egg.

Round 2 Today
    Taking same pony who slept in the main barn last night, out to the back barn for optimum exercise to reduce swelling....HE'S FINE ! I had been moving horses in from the back barn to the main barn to avoid the Ark requiring floods. This was preceded by sprinkling sawdust, and hay, and barn sweepings on the worst patches of ICE. Got eight horses moved safely, then it was the ungrateful's turn to go out.... avoiding the ICE required tiptoeing across the lawn, past the sandbox, and the birdfeeders. Pony decided he did not like the look of the sandbox, and opted to climb the birdfeeder pole instead, which dislodged the birdfeeder, which sailed through the air, and landed with a hard crack, steel perch first into my head! I did have a white polar fleece hat on....Now we have instant blood dripping down from inside my white hat and making a MESS !
    Large laceration, luckily not requiring stitches...the pony? He's FINE!

Jan, NO you are NOT becoming the mean old lady down the street. Parents are supposed to not let their kids throw things wherever they please. I would have picked the stuff up and kept it too...hoping there is an opportunity to share your thoughts when they come looking for it. There are laws about shooting any type of gun within 500+ of a house...I am not sure what your ordinances may state. Are you in a neighborhood with covenants? They must address this in the rules. Beyond that I have to say you have the right to protect your property. Do you have homeowners insurance to cover the window should it be a costly repair? If it persists perhaps you and DH should visit them together. Boys will be boys (how I hate that line) but that doesn't give them the right to throw things in the direction of your home. Hopefully you can work it out with mom and dad...I hope the window repair goes well.

• wodka
    14 years ago

suzanne, your poor friend. For a moment, I thought it was you, thank goodness it wasn't.

Re: my problem. Yes, we have covenants, but not strongly enforced. We also have homeowners insurance, but our deductible is high, because of Katrina. Also, because of Katrina, we do not want to file on something at the risk of being cancelled.

I was hoping now that the little boys were in school, that the teachers' discipline would rub off on them, since they don't have it at home. I understand that boys will be boys, and today's times are so different than when we were kids. If someone even suggested that one of us had been the cause of a problem, there would have been he-- to pay.

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Jan, that is everyone horsewoman's dilemma but we wouldn't change a thing!

If I were you I would read up on the covenants. Just because they are not strongly enforced doesn't mean that they can't be. If your problem persists go the association and complain. That is what they are supposed to be for!! Throwing rocks and bb guns are simply not acceptable street play things!

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan, buy a security camera for the front porch (or a fake one on eBay). Be very sure that the kids see you putting it up! Take should give them pause.

You are not the mean lady, and it's time that children learned to behave and respect other folks and their property.

• tikanis
    14 years ago

Good Morning!

I don't know where to even START with all of you injured and wounded like this!!

Raeanne, I didn't fall, but am so sorry that YOU did. : (

Suzanne, no, I am not a lefty, but I am as accident prone as the rest of you! Your poor friend sure got it good!

Maddie, what can I say? Life is just too short! Count all of your blessings each day, as we just never know...

Marci, how is the ankle today? And how are you managing to chase children with that sprain? At least you are FASHIONABLE now, ha ha!

Donna, I can't wait to see the pics!

Milkdud, old IV sites shouldn't be swollen. If there is any "open" area, clean with 1/2 strength peroxide, pat dry and put on a dab of neosporin-type ointment.

455 hours! Wow! I know how much work that is, and maybe it is a strange thing to ask, but don't you feel TERRIFIC for it?? There is no better feeling in my mind than giving or giving back.

Jan, food tracking is definitely my saving grace! It was harder getting back in the swing of things than I thought it would be, especially since I am limiting the Diet Coke. That was always my go-to snack to help keep me away from goodies. I am consoling myself with seltzer water ( fizzy) and the knowledge that new studies show that the body may treat artificial sweeteners the same way it treats sugar; by STORING FAT!! There's my reason to quit it right now. I sure don't want to slow down all of my hard work so far, ha ha!

About the other thing..... You are NOT turning into that mean ol' lady! You have a right to have your property protected from malicious or negligent damage. Boys may be boys (I have one, too) but that does not make them less accountable for their actions. Here in CA children may not run around with BB guns. It's just plain dangerous! Proving the boys responsible will be a whole different matter. Are you part of a home owners association that might have rules about where BB guns and baseball can be played? As much as I dislike HOAs, they might help here. Then, there are security cameras. You'll need to either see the boys doing damage or have some sort of proof. There are plexi glass plates that can be fitted over vulnerable windows. I don't know the cost, but they are virtually damage proof and don't show from the street. Finally, this is YOUR property! After having had to start all over after Katrina, it must be like adding insult to injury. Confrontation is never pleasant. Just calmly state the facts. Proof is always good and of course, involve your DH. If you are asked for the bats and balls, hand them back with a smile and say "boys, I know YOU wouldn't do this, but I need your help finding out who has been damaging my window. I'm offering a $5 reward if we catch 'em!" Then check back with them periodically "Have you seen our culprits yet, boys? I feel so much safer with you guys watching out for me!" You might want to take this approach, regardless.
    You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and kids like to feel important. I think they'll be more careful if they think they are on your "team". It ALWAYS worked for my Cub Scouts!

Back later, have a great day!

Tikanis

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

OMG, Tikanis, I used that tactic over 20 years ago with a problem child in my neighborhood and it worked magnificently!! I did not even remember it until you jogged my memory. Great advice!!

• wodka
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. The Pella window guy just left. Such a nice guy - since the windows have a 10-year warranty, he seems to think it will all be covered, with the exception of a possible small service charge. So, I am breathing a sigh of relief.

I'm still keeping the bat. Those kids leave so much stuff all in the street and other lots, it will probably be a few days before they realize it's missing....

Our Homeowners Association is new, recently taken over from the developer, and is very unorganized and weak. Still, that is a good idea to review the covenants and see if I can find anything that applies to our problem.

Re: The Bachelor - I'm embarrassed to say I watch it, too. I thin Ali is by far the sharpest, most natural of them all (makes you wonder why she is on the show?!)

It is a good day. Today's my mom's 85th birthday. She has a full week - going to play cards tonight, see a local play and eat out tomorrow night, and a day trip to Memphis on Thursday to see The Jersey Boys! Her social calendar is much fuller than her daughter's - ha!

• aka_raeanne
    14 years ago

Tikanis - I am so glad that you didn't fall and you couldn't use ice to blame it on LOL. Very clever advice you gave Jan.

Jan - You have every right to protect your property. It is the parents that are really out of control here - how do they allow their kids to run around playing with BB guns? Didn't they ever watch "A Christmas Story"? Happy Birthday Jan's mom.

I have to run and do something productive. I am using my injuries as an excuse to sit on my bumm all day long - I could get used to it LOL.

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, Raeanne!!!!!

Happy 85th to Jan's Mom. :0)

• wodka
    14 years ago

Raeanne, you would think parents would be more concerned, wouldn't you? And yes, "A Christmas Story" does come to mind - ha!

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my mom. She's pretty amazing, even though I'm partial.

I'm off to a Homeowners Association Meeting - would rather have a root canal. It could be interesting.

• milkdud_2007
    14 years ago

Just wanted to let y'all know that my internet/board friend Dave died this afternoon. Thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts for him. I know it was a great comfort to his family and friends.

I'll be back to post tomorrow.

• tikanis
    14 years ago

Oh Milkdud! I am so sorry to hear this. : (

Prayers going out to his family.....

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Good morning,

Milkdud, I am sorry to hear about Dave - my prayers are going out to his family too.

Jan, I would have thought you would be looking forward to that HO's meeting to talk about the kids, rocks, bats, and windows. How did it go?

Anyone watch BL last night??

• wodka
    14 years ago

Milkdud, I, too am so sorry about the loss of your friend, Dave.

suzanne, the meeting went well - much bigger issues than my derelict neighbors were discussed, but I did find out how to issue a complaint against them, through the HOA, if needed. They were at the meeting but the room was crowded so I avoided eye contact with them. I still have the bat, so I'm assuming the kids haven't even missed it yet.

It was chilly on our walk but the day is going to be warming up and lots of sun. Hope it's pretty in your neck of the woods!

• tikanis
    14 years ago

Just stopping by, coffee in hand, ready to face a cold and rainy day....

Do tell, Jan! How did it go?

Suzanne, I missed BL last night.

Busy day, back later.

Make it count, ladies!

Tikanis

• wodka
    14 years ago

suzanne, you need to re-post your horse/pony pictures for this week. I was wondering where everyone's posts went (duh.) You and I were on last week's.

re: meeting. It went well. It looks like our association is finally moving forward and getting it's act together. We inherited some problems from the developer, but are working on them. When the subject of security/vandalism came up, I almost gave the evil eye to our neighbors, but I'm more mature than that. They've been given the message and we are watching. If there is any chance of this happening again, we will file a formal complaint through the HOA and also give them any repair bills we might end up with. I think I'm feeling so good about the warranty covering our window, I don't want to send out any bad karma.

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Jan, thanks for telling me! I don't know why I posted it there. Sounds like meeting was productive! You aren't the old mean lady - you are the OLD BAT hiding the BAT LOL

How cute is this???? This is just precious and I hope it makes you smile....even you DEE lol

• maddie_in_ky
    14 years ago

Hi all!

**almost fainting from too much cuteness!!** Suzanne, that is just absolutely one of the greatest pictures ever! What an adorable mama and baby--

Milkdud, I'm so sorry to hear about Dave. I remember him from his photographs, and he always seemed like such a nice guy. I've lurked on the KT for almaost as long as I've been here, and I still miss Dotty and Marlen. Gawd, they were funny!

Jan, no advice here, but it sounds like the HOA sounds like a good place to go if this happens again--

Where's BJ? Besh? Amy? Come out, come out, where ever you are! :)

Hugs,

Maddie

(Oh, Raeanne, I cornered a physics prof yesterday, and making some assumptions about your height, and other variables, we estimated that you could have hit your head at approx 13mph. Gad! How are you feeling, and sorry to be such a pest! :))

• maddie_in_ky
    14 years ago

Hey, I'm thinking about trying to set up a chat room. I think it's free, but would anyone be interested?

• aka_raeanne
    14 years ago

Maddie - you are not a pest! My height probably helped with reducing the speed, but my weight probably increased it LOL. A chat room would be fun!

Suzanne - that truly is one of he sweetesst things I have ever seen.

Jan - since you have already taken the first step in speaking with the parents you should go to the HOA if it should happen again.

Milkdud - so sorry to hear about your friend. I think I remember Dave. I always used to look at the photo posts. Very sad.

Marci - in case you missed my previous post - I would love to be included in the birthday exchange.

Nighty night all

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Good Thursday all,

One day closer to the weekend! It's been a tense week and I am ready for it to be over.

Marci, scrap booking queen I need some ideas. DFIL writes a Christmas note every year. We have accumulated 20 of them so far. I want to put them in a scrap book but need ideas for this. They are all on various paper and I don't want it to be really sappy or corny I just want to preserve them in a really neat way. I think it would be a wonderful Christmas gift to DH. Any thoughts?

The photo of the mare and foal is a couple of years old. It was sent by a friend in Florida! It is so,so sweet. Makes my heart skip a beat.

• tikanis
    14 years ago

Good Mornin'!

Suzanne, that picture of the mare is heartwarming! The scrap book idea is very sweet.

Jan, I am glad to hear that the window was covered by your insurance policy. You may have just acquired some new game equipment. Care to hit a few out? Spring training is just around the corner, you know : )

Donna, "we want photos, we want photos!". That's your remodel fan club clamoring for results : )

Maddie, a chat room sounds like fun! You are positively "chipper" these days!

How are all of our "Fallen Angels" out there? Hmm? Mending nicely, I hope!

Motivation from the Toppers and WWs here, please! Let's help each other out! This last leg of the journey is SO oooo s-l-o-w.... and I need support!

Off to log my calories on Fitday.com before seeing patients.

Check in MIAs

Tikanis

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

All I can say is why can't this happen on my lawn? This is SO sweet.

Apparently the little buck visits each day

to play with the cat:

• milkdud_2007
    14 years ago

Good afternoon, everyone! It's overcast and warmish today, 50 F, with rain and cooler temps coming tomorrow.

I thought that some of you here might have known of Dave from the KT, even though I totally forgot to mention it. What a nice guy, and what a loss.

Suzanne, if your FIL's letters are a one-pager each, you can easily find 'photo frames' or even sticker borders to make a frame around each letter. Maybe you can find a nice selection of different Christmas stickers and embellishments so that each year's letter will have a different look. If you photocopy those letters, you could even copy the pages and make photo albums for the other DIL's. Just my 2 cents.

Jan, I'm glad your window is covered by the warranty! My 2 sons never broke a window, but our neighbor's son broke ours several times over the years. Luckily, back then, glass was cheaper, but his parents were always lovely about making the repairs. Their son was our favorite babysitter, and he was always SO upset when it would happen. Boys just play rougher than girls.

I've been having the most wonderful time reconnecting with my cousins, first on Facebook, then on the phone and in emails. We just lost touch because of distance and real life. We're so lucky that it's not too late, and I'm sharing them with my sons now, too, so that they can learn more about everyone.

Suzanne, love those photos! The ones from last week are still haunting my memory - loved them.

I'd love a chat room! I'm always up for a good 'chin-wag'!

Got to get busy now making signs for our book sale Saturday at our Community Expo. Last year, I grabbed up a handful of used books and took them with me in hopes of just giving them away, but people insisted on donating money to St. Jude by buying them, so we ended up making $33.05. This year, we're making a concerted effort to collect a goodly amount of books and even making a pretty printed sign (on the computer) to have on the table. Hope we make lots more $$$. Sunday, is our first Rush Tea in about 10 years, and I'm in charge. Very scary!!! :) Not really because everybody's helping out. That's one very nice thing about it being a service sorority - everybody's used to stepping up and helping out!

Dinner tonight will be grilled salmon over whole wheat pasta and steamed veggies. Wishing everyone a thoughtful Thursday!

• marci_pa
    14 years ago

NHSuzanne - If it were me, I would buy a scrapbooking album and find some neutral scrapbook paper to insert in the sleeves.
    Then display the letters in chronological order. You could include pictures of your FIL over the years and the photos of the Christmas celebrations to correspond with the year of the letter. There are lots of Christmas embellishments that you could add here and there to add dimension to the pages. I would try to keep it simple, so the focus would be the letters. Michaels and Jo-Ann have the 12x12 scrapbooking paper, or see if there is a scrapbooking store near you. You should make sure the pages of the album are acid free and use photo splits to adhere the letters and pictures to the scrapbooking paper. I wish I lived close enough to help in person!
    Feel free to email me when you get started.
    LOVE the deer/cat pictures.

• donna_southnj
    14 years ago

Happy Thursday!!!

Been a crazy week at work (don't ask) but just got home from seeing the Lovely Bones...read the book a very long time ago and enjoyed it. Movie was good but not as good as I had expected.. JMHO. I have to say though that Mark Wahlberg was fabulous and the girl playing Suzi was adorable and good.

Tikanis and my fan club - I have actually downloaded pictures!! Will post to photobucket or such this weekend so I can share.

I am SO annoyed with Sears...fridge to be delivered Saturday, pushed back one week...aaarrgghhh...oh well.

Will check in over the weekend, with promised pics.

Hugs and love to all who knew Dave and miss him.

Donna

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TGIF!

Sending out positive thoughts to those who will miss Dave. I remember his photos and adventures and there will be a void over at KT.

I hope that all you gals who experienced the spills over the last several weeks will be fully recovered to enjoy the weekend.

QOD: What's going on this weekend?

DH and I were both home yesterday because of icy roads. I was able to work from home, but DH was not, so he continued working on getting our hallways and doors around our staircase(s) primed and ready for paint. This project is almost one year old! We spent last January taking down the wallpaper and beginning the task of washing off the glue. Then work and life got in the way.... DH told me this morning that he will continue the task this evening when he gets home, and asked if I would help him this weekend put a bit dent in it. I'm thrilled about it. Our biggest problem is all the molding around the doors and the bottom of the walls. Previous owner put paint upon paint upon paint, and we need to scrap several layers off before painting. We both agree that the project will keep us away from TV and snacking!

OK, enough about my boring life....who's up next?

TAKE CARE, EAT HEALTHFULLY, AND NEVER NEVER GIVE UP!
    Dee

• wodka
    14 years ago

Good morning!

Dee, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you this weekend! I admire you and your husband for DYI-ing it. Our master bath needs re-painting (yes, after just two years!) We thought we had a leak because we saw a water stain above the shower stall (but not from the ceiling.) The plumbers came and checked the entire house, found no leaks and decided it was from the excessive steam. (We have an exhaust fan but have never used it.) I never noticed until they pointed it out, but the paint in the entire bathroom is starting to look streaky and thin. We will definitely use a sturdier kitchen/bathroom paint when we re-do. And start using the exhaust fan more. There is a woman who is going to re-stain and finish our front door and I'm going to get a quote from her. She really needs the work and would do a much better job than us, I'm sure.

This morning I was thinking about also adding a small indoor/outdoor flush ceiling fan above our vanity. I know some folks don't care for ceiling fans, but down South we really use them. I take hot showers even in the summer (hence the paint damage!) and by the time I blow dry my hair I'm so hot I'm miserable. Do any of you have one in your bath or have seen one?

Today I'm waiting on our water fountain to be delivered and installed in our back yard, but I'm afraid the rain will make it here before the fountain......

Did anyone watch the special last night hosted by Jeff Probst, the Survivor guy? I did, and cried the entire hour. It definitely made an impression on me, clearly not to sweat the small stuff. Some reviews have said it was too much. Perhaps it was the mood I was in, but it definitely was an attitude adjustment.

Enjoy your weekend.

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

Good Friday all,

From frigid frozen and bitterly cold NH!! Wow, so much for our little January thaw. She's going out like a lion with a vengeance for sure. Yesterday we had just enough snow to cover the ice making things really slick and dangerous. Many accidents and one death locally after the truck when careening into a river during a white out. So sad. Temps plummeted 30 degrees overnight....and the wind is howling. It's so windy and cold today that I closed the doors on one side of the barn to give the animals a break. Not nice.

I saw on the news that we are not alone with these conditions - out in the mid-west is crazy too. Ah Winter.

As cold as it was before dawn this morning (3 degrees) I must say I was taken by the beauty of the full Wolf moon setting over the pasture. It has illuminated our nights for so long.

Jan and Dee, the winter months bring out the interior decorator in me to so I am thinking of repainting the downstairs bathroom and making some other significant changes there. Cabin fever brings this on I am sure.

DH is home this weekend so that will be fun. I will probably not be riding the horses!! LOl no way, too icy and cold. Last Saturday was dream to be out and now....

Marci, Milkdud, thanks for the ideas. I will have to just dig in and start organizing the letters and figure it out. It's fun but I always have a slow start until I get truly inspired.

Has anyone read Food, Inc.? It's a must read for those who truly care about where there food comes from and how it gets onto the table. Fascinating and disturbing too.

• aka_raeanne
    14 years ago

Suzanne - Food, Inc was just highly recommended to me. I will add it to my list. Glad you get DH for the weekend. Frigid here too and was a bit messy yesterday for a bit.

Jan - what was the special about that was so sad? I am glad I missed it - I really don't need to cry these days LOL.

Speaking of crying, has anyone read "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? I absolutely loved the book, but talk about a tearjerker.

Donna - thanks for the movie review. I am a Mark Wahlberg fan but haven't read the book and think I will do that first. I hope your refrig arrives.

Dee - I am amazed you ever get any project done between work, football, cruises and your vacation home.

Gotta run, but wanted to check in. Make today a good one.

• maddie_in_ky
    14 years ago

Hi all!

QOD--study, what else? :) That, and we're having a Super Bowl party, so the cleaning needs to start this weekend. It's amazing how cat hair can wedge itself in the most remote places! And why aren't they bald??!

Sitting at home on this cold Friday. I needed to go out, or I though that I did, and have convinced myself that it can wait.

Speaking of movies, I want to see Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges. The critics have compared it to The Wrestler, which I liked, so maybe I can talk Rog into going to the movies, too. A good bribe of Indian food may do the trick! LOL!

Hope all is well!

Hugs,

Maddie

• wodka
    14 years ago

Our fountain is in and it looks and sounds great! Yea.

raeanne, the show is like a reality "Bucket List" - last night was about a young man, Roger Childs, with a beautiful family who has been diagnosed with ALS and given a few years to live. The show presents him with a week of exciting surprises of things he's always wanted to do. One of the poorer reviews compared it to the old show "Queen for a Day." I don't think I could watch something like this on a regular basis, but last night's episode was a gentle reminder, which is what I need from time to time, of what is truly important in this life.

Maddie, I love Jeff Bridges and want to see "Crazy Heart," too. I never saw "The Wrestler."

Suzanne, hasn't the moon been beautiful?! Stay safe and upright this weekend (at least while you're outside - ha!)

• deemarie5500
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"Live for the Moment" was on CBS last night, and I went through about 3 tissues. My head was stuffed up like a Thanksgiving turkey this morning. I'll be watching it next week.....

• milkdud_2007
    14 years ago

Good Friday evening!

It turned cold here today, down in the 40's and very windy. I was freezing while pumping gas at 10 am. I was out in this rainy (forgot to mention that earlier) mess from 9 until 3, first to the dr. for a follow-up after last week's procedure. I won't have another colonoscopy for 5 years! Then, lots of grocery shopping and hunting for Lipton Blackberry tea bags. It took stopping at 6 stores before I finally found what I needed. I also felt the urge to shop in every store, so it was an expensive day.

QOD: Tonight was Mexican food with friends at Peso's. Tomorrow another sorority sister and I will set up and mostly man a table for ESA and St. Jude at our Consumer Expo. We'll pass out info on St. Jude, ESA, and sell used paperback books for 50 cents each, proceeds going to St. Jude. Last year, we made $33.05. We have many more books this year.

Sunday after church is our sorority Rush tea. I'm the membership chair, so I've been planning this tea for a while now and everybody's pitching in. It will be fun.

Sending warm hugs and wishes to everyone freezing this weekend. Have a great weekend!

• marci_pa
    14 years ago

Good Saturday Morning!

It is a brisk 10 here today so I am going to wait to go out later in the day. I need to buy some things for my sister's 60th birthday tomorrow.

2010 Birthday Card list so far:
    Tikanis
    Milkdud
    Maddie
    DeeMarie
    NHSuzanne
    Donna_southNJ
    Raeanne
    Marci

Any other takers? BJ? Wodka? Besh? Patti? No pressure, I just don't want to leave anyone out who wants to be included. I will wait one more week and then assign partners.

I tried not wearing the ankle brace yesterday and today it is sore. So I'm going to wear it one more week and see what happens. My biggest fear is doing more damage while it is in a weakened condition, especially with the snowy/icy conditions of the parking lots.

Hope everyone else is on the mend.

Marci

• marci_pa
    14 years ago

Here is an interesting and informative article listing 7 easy ways to lose weight.

Thought I'd share with you all.

Also, can you guess what this is painted on?

{{gwi:1498324}}

• nhsuzanne
    14 years ago

A human hand/fist is my guess! Great photo no matter what! Thanks for the 7 easy ways...although I have not checked it out yet! I am going there right now.

• marci_pa
    14 years ago

You are right NHSuzanne. It looks so lifelike. I have some other ones I will post later.

Goodnight!

Sponsored