Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoodia as a diet supplement

Posted by mugnaini (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 3, 07 at 8:38

I want to lose in 07. Much hype about Hoodia. Anyone have a success story?I don't want to waste my money, I need a product that will work.I need to lose30-50 pounds can be done slowly but I need a appettie suppressant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoodia as a diet supplement

I'm probably not going to be much help.
I saw a lot of commercials over the holidays about it. It was the first I heard of it. After what happened with the appetite suppressents back in the 90's that resulted in a lot of heart problems, I'm afraid of them.

Plus the commercials had people claiming to be doctors endorsing it. From what I have heard, often those people are paid to endorse it and haven't done clinical studies of them.

I'm trying to lose 30 pounds on weight watchers. It is coming off slowly. All I can tell you is that I truly don't get hungry if I eat the proper foods all day. When I get ravenous is when I have been hitting the empty calories (such as candy, white bread, fried foods, etc) and I don't stay satisfied long enough.

I would like it if there were some sort of magical pill that could be the solution and maybe one day it will be here.

Wikipedia has some good info on hoodia's history, and some cautions. The two most important cautions are typical of these supplements. One - no scientific proof that it works, and Two - a lot of companies claim their pill contains the ingredient but it does not.

Some of the article here:
Published scientific reports
Whether hoodia works as an appetite suppressant has not been scientifically proven. No published peer-reviewed double-blind clinical trials have been performed on humans to investigate the safety or effectiveness of Hoodia gordonii in pill form as a nutritional supplement.

One scientific study has been published in which the extract was injected directly into the brains of rats.[8] The author of the rat study said that P57 was easily broken down by the liver, so it might be hard to take in enough of it to ensure that it had an effect. MacLean cautioned that currently available supplements might be inadequate, stating "I question whether there is really enough of the active ingredient in there to do much."[9]

Press coverage
The press coverage and heavy marketing by nutritional supplement companies have created such a demand for Hoodia plants that a protected status was imposed in several countries like Namibia. Many products claiming to contain Hoodia do not actually contain the active ingredient alleged to suppress appetite. Only the South African product has the claimed properties. An ongoing review of Hoodia pills by Alkemists Pharmaceuticals found that at least half of the products advertised as containing Hoodia contained none.[10]

In March 2006, Consumer Reports investigated the dietary supplement and concluded, "This weight loss drug lacks the clinical evidence for the Consumer Reports experts to recommend this product."[11]

Marketing and spam
Lack of scientific evidence or regulatory approval have not stopped dietary supplement companies from marketing Hoodia gordonii extracts with claims that it can lower blood pressure and reduce the appetite. Goen Technologies Corporation's TrimSpa unit began marketing Hoodia gordonii under the brand name X32 with celebrity spokesperson Anna Nicole Smith, even though the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has notified Trimspa that it has not demonstrated that claims for their product are scientifically supportable.[12] Health Canada has not approved any hoodia products for sale.[13] Goen Technologies has also been sued by the state of New Jersey for misleading consumers.[14] The Trimspa brand is currently the subject of a lawsuit in California which claims that it does not contain any of Hoodia's active ingredient.[10]

In March to June of 2006, billions of email spam messages were sent out concerning Hoodia, ostensibly offering Hoodia extracts for weight control purposes. As is usually the case with spam, it is not clear what prompted the sudden barrage of messages, since there had not been any recent positive media coverage about Hoodia, nor any signs of increasing public interest in Hoodia. The Federal Trade Commission has logged numerous complaints of consumer fraud associated with Hoodia and the number is expected to continue to rise.[10]

In December 2004, Unilever entered into an agreement with Phytopharm to start marketing Hoodia gordonii commercially in the form of shakes and diet bars.[15]

On July 1, 2006, it was reported on entertainment news show Extra that a company is now marketing Hoodia-enhanced lollipops.[16]

There are many so-called "consumer research" websites claiming to show consumer reviews and testimonials. The legitimacy and accuracy of any of these websites are unknown. In addition to massive spam campaigns, there have been many reports of over-hyped and sometimes misleading marketing associated with websites selling and/or promoting Hoodia-related products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to whole article

o

The old saying is IF it sounds to good to be true then it isn't~~~or something like that~~Mug come on over to our WW's post, say HI and lurk around a bit:)

o

The important thing to remember with these supplements is that you must do the diet and exercise in order for them to work...and if you do the diet and exercise....you don't need the supplement....The FTC has just fined a bunch of these people for making false claims.......you will notice that the packaging on them always say that in order to be successful the supplement has to be used with a good nutrition program and exercise...that is really all the info one needs...I saw an ad for one of them over the holidays and checked it out when I went shopping and it was mostly caffiene and a couple of recognizable herbs...truthfully, you could get the same effect from several cups of coffee.

o

I'm using a Hoodia supplement now and I think it works. Whether it is in my head or not it has curbed my appetite. Half way through dinner and I've had enough. I've lost 6 pounds since Thanksgiving.

750 mg off the internet.

I drink de-caf everything and have had no jitters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here