SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yankandtex

SS Support, Mon. Jan 12th thru Sun Jan 18th

yankandtex
15 years ago

I definitely haven't had time to go back & read all of the messages but I wanted to say that I am back. I missed all of you. And I wanted to get this day started. Love you all & will check back when I can. :-) Patti

Comments (51)

• aka_raeanne
    15 years ago

Welcome home Patti we missed you too.

Dee - I am feeling good to have all that junk out of my life. It is amazing how strong you become. We went out to dinner with bread on the table, pasta on my plate and I had no desire to touch either one. Did your nieces have a good time?

I hope everyone gets a chance to check in.

xoxox

• aka_raeanne
    15 years ago

Marci - do you still make your spinach squares? For some reason I can't get them out of my head and may make a batch to help me get through the week.

• Related Discussions

Daily Support Mon. Jan. 10th thru Sun. Jan. 16th

Q

Comments (61)
    Happy Saturday!!! Yes I'm seed planting now - but in different ways. I cannot plant until after the last frost day - normally in Ontario Canada it's the 3rd weekend in May. Right now I am starting some stuff to grow indoors - even a few tomato plants. I have ample south facing windows. Some of my veggies are to share with friends too. Things like some of my slow growing flowers - lavender - I like to start a huge tray indoors. Since the onion seeds are from big onions, I'd be lucking in spring to have small bulbs from the seeds. The herbs will eventually go outside. My next venture is using water jugs I saved from the summer to do 'Winter Sowing' - had lots of success with that over the years everywhere I lived. Trudi who started it all now has her own website and has moved on but left terrific FAQs at GW. My other focus for this week is challenging others to tackle a box a day to declutter (it's on the KT). Makes this unpacking a little more fun. Misery loves company! LOL. Last night we had friends over for dinner and cards. We had a riot. I had waaaaay too much fun. Let myself go too much but mentally it was all worth it. Haven't laughed like that in some time. Besides laughter burns energy. I'm carrying on today. Did not get my cook ahead done because DH and I spent the afternoon giving this place a good cleaning over (felt fantastic afterwards). My new friend Catherine last night mentioned a nearby town (she lives just outside) is starting a quilt club. She's interested and so am I. We're going to check that out. While we go quilting our boys will enjoy male bonding. I'm getting more social activity in the country than I had living in the city. You can take a bus in the city to a shopping venue or park but that's not socializing. This is better than prozac! Besides I have a ton of quilting magazines I might find good homes for. So lets really get out there an enjoy this weekend. My continued love and support to all of use - my arms are open for sharing hugs. Take care everyone - let's breath, find something beautiful in every day. Today we take another step forward, together. Whoooo Hoooooooo! Peggy
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon. Jan 3rd thru Sun. Jan 9th

Q

Comments (36)
    Today was an awesome day. Bob got up early with me and we went out to pick up our order of Tangelos and on to the Mennonite Market... Did a little shopping and then back home again.. I sorted through some old coffee mugs and will be putting them in the spring yard sale for the Hope Fund at church..I know I will have tons more too. Christmas stuff especially.. I have waaaaay too much in the way of Christmas ornies.. I just keep the ones with sentimental value to them like some hand painted ornies my mom did and little gifts of ornies from a lot of really nice online friends I have met over the years.. Carolyn, It is so amazing when you can get more order in your life by purging what is just not working to the good in your life.... Hanging on to what is doing absolutely nothing but draining you either financially or physically or spiritually is not worth it... Kick it to the curb or give it away or sell it or donate it... but yeah.. don't let it drag you down.. sometimes things can act as an albatross around you neck..and will keep you from doing other things that really are worth while... besides, if you give it away or donate or so... then someone else may garner a really great blessing from it.. and guess what... your blessings will increase too..Just because you remove something from your life that is doing you no good, doesn't mean it doesn't have value.. to someone else it may be just fantastic.. It is turning cold for the next week, so walking will be brisk.. and not really long treks.. just a mile and a half.. and that's it.. toes get cold after that.. lol So ar this year I have walked every day.. and still watching my intake of calories.. so it's all good. Keep on keeping on folks.. and thanks for the squeezy hugs Dee.. we always can use a hug or two.. Stay well everyone.. CS
    ...See More

Daily Support Mon. Jan. 18th thru Sun. Jan. 24th

Q

Comments (27)
    Good evening, y'all! It's been warm (up to the mid-70's) and sunny here today. I sat out in it for a few minutes this morning when dh let me off at the front door of the hospital and went to park the car. My procedure went great. Just the colonscopy, not the top end this time. All was well, no polyps or problems. YEA! Must have been all those good thoughts and prayers from my good friends. :) Marci and Jan, I'm so sorry to hear about your falls and owies. Bless your hearts. Let others pamper you until you're feeling better! Suzanne, all your photos this week have been so beautiful. The one of the pending avalanche was amazing. And, after my experience this morning, all I can say about that egg photo is "ouch" for that poor chicken that delivered the really big one! Love your photos always! Dee, thanks for checking in about Dave on FB. Still no word. I guess that things are still the same, so they don't have the heart to post right now. DH and I drove straight to Antonio's Italian restaurant from the hospital! LOL The dr. had advised a bland diet: scrambled eggs, pancakes, oatmeal. I just looked at him and said, "WHAT???" He laughed and told me to just go easy at first and to not eat the peppers in the salad when I got there. I ate about 1/4 of the salad and the shrimp & chicken florentine, then boxed up the leftovers for dinner tonight. It was definitely the thought that counted for that meal. :) I slept great last night and awoke ready to get the show on the road at 9 a.m. I got to the hospital at 10 and was in and out from the procedure at the same time I'd originally been scheduled for it. Home by 1 after lunch. No nap, but I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight. It's great to come here and see Maddie, Donna, and Marci posting, too. It's how it should be! I'll be talking to y'all more this weekend. Time for a bite to eat!
    ...See More

SS Support, Mon. Nov. 10th thru Sun. Nov. 16th

Q

Comments (33)
    Jan- (((((HUGS))))))) It's always too soon. I lost my 36 yr. old brother 21 years ago and I still talk about him like he was here yesterday. And newphew, Brandon (at 21), too young, was an unconsolable sadness that weighed on our hearts for a long, long time. The memories are what keeps them alive in my heart. At this age, unfortunately, many of us realize that the days on earth are never to be taken for granted. Check in when you can. We will think of you... Marci: Happy to see you back. I think of you often. Hope you are getting through the days okay and the holidays aren't too painful for you and yours this year. The first year is the very worst. Peggy: Keep on truckin'. I log on here, wanting to hear that you are taking it day by day and each successful day makes me smile. STAY BUSY and drink tea, pop, whatever...Don't WAVER! We love that you are S-T-R-O-N-G!!! Patti- On a happy note: the wild chickens aound fun to me! I love chickens that just hang out and ACT like they're SUPPOSED to be there! Raeanne and Jan-When you find "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Big?" Don't bother reading it. Peter Walsh is much better in person or on TV or DVD. His books never do it for me. Uh, not that I've actually SEEN him in person---but Ty Pennington, I HAVE seen him...(yum, in an I'd-probably-let-him-eat-crackers-in-bed-kind-of-a-way.) Raeanne-I was hypnotized once--to lose weight, but it wore off. The goal was to actually drink more water, which I did for a while. But it was a VERY relaxing feeling whilst I was under. Dee: Glad you're back at it! YAY! Man, that was a hummer of a cold you had. Signed, -DoombahGizzardButt here. How becoming is that? I didn't even get a "chicken" or a "boob" in my name. I honestly believe I was ROBBED! That's it...I'm changing my name to: -BoobyChickenTush
    ...See More
  • deemarie5500
    15 years ago

Whoa there, Raeanne!!!! Have not taken all carbs out of my life yet =(or maybe ever with strong tranquilizers!). Tonight we are having pasta, but I'm making it whole wheat and will try to keep the portions smaller than I normally eat (I could eat half a pound with no problem..that's 4 servings!) LOL!

My nieces had a great time. They looked rested and tanned. We got them back to their car by Noon, and DH and I arrived at the party about 30 fashionable minutes late!

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

grrrrrrrrrrrrr, hate the no-edit feature here. I meant to say "have not taken all carbs out of the life yet (or maybe every WITHOUT strong tranquilizers)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• wodka
    15 years ago

Patti, it is so good to "see" you! Can't wait to hear what all you have done on your trip!

MMMM, spinach squares sound tasty - I want the recipe, too!

Dee - enjoy your pasta. I could eat mounds, with lots and lots of parmesan cheese.

Just got in from Weight Watchers - after one week I've lost 3.6 pounds. I know that's a good loss, but a little bit of me was hoping for more, since weigh in last week was after pigging out the entire holiday season. Oh, well. It will just make me try harder. If it was easy, I wouldn't be in this shape? After lunch, I'm headed out for a walk, because believe it or not, it's turning colder here! No snow, but below freezing at night.

Are any of you signed up for the Oprah webcast? I did, so hope to catch it.

Did y'all watch the Golden Globe awards last night? There were some skinny actresses, weren't there? My all time favorite is Meryl Streep - she looks like she would be the most fun person to be around! Her beauty is so natural and she's never succumbed to that skinny, gaunt look. She just glows.

Poor Mickey Rourke - if ever there's a poster child on what not to do to your body, he is it.

Enough gossip, hope everyone's day is a happy one.

Jan

• aka_raeanne
    15 years ago

Jan - WTG on the loss - that is a good one, maybe next weigh in will show more of a loss. I didn't even realize it was Mickey Rourke - he could have at least washed his hair LOL. I didn't watch the entire show, but thought most people looked very nice. Did you get to see Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia - I loved it and her!

SPINACH CHEESE SQUARES
    1 package (10-oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    3 eggs
    1 lb Monterey jack cheese, grated (or ½ Pepper Jack & ½ Monterey Jack)
    1/2 onion, diced and sautéed in 1 T butter  optional*
    Canadian Bacon, diced and sautéed with onions  optional*

Thaw spinach and drain thoroughly and squeeze dry. Add beaten eggs and cheese (*and sautéed onion and Canadian bacon if using).

Mix together.

Bake in greased 11x7" Pyrex baking dish at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until lightly brown on top.

Let cool and cut into 16 squares for a great appetizer or into 6-8 pieces for a side vegetable or a quick breakfast.

Variation for lunch: Saute onions in butter first, and then add the spinach, eggs, nutmeg, 8-oz.feta cheese and 4-oz. grated Muenster. Bake for about 20 minutes. It's a really yummy variation of Spanikopita (w/o the phyllo).

***MarciÂs variation: I used ½ C chopped onions, 1-2 T butter, 6-oz.crumbled feta and 8 oz. grated Muenster and added 1/8th tsp. nutmeg. I then baked it for 30-35 minutes at 350*

Dee - ROFLMAO - What brand whole wheat pasta do you use? Glad the nieces had fun. I will take a side of pasta with a xanax please.

I got home a little after 1 made the spinach squares they are cooling now and then have to head over an hour away to pick up my car. DH dropped it off to have the oil changed, etc. and then he talked to the salesman about a new one. So I knew I shouldn't have let him bring it in...

xoxoxo

• nwroselady
    15 years ago

Happy Monday, everyone. Went to WW today, had lost .8 pound since last week. At first I was disappointed, but then I reminded myself that this is more than 3 cubes of butter, and that seems like a significant improvement.

• User
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I've been busy with those xmas decorations, this is my last few days and then I'm done and can focus fully on myself. Man was I exhausted this weekend and sore all over.

I've completed my college registration for my first 2 courses - this is a certificate program with part time courses. The college does not run this as a full time study since it's geared towards people working who need to get certified in Web Design or Web Developer. I'm working on Web Design certification. Once I've completed all of the courses for this level there is an advanced level I'd like to take. They give you 4 years but I want to do everything as fast as I can get course loaded. The summer schedule will be out in March. I'm so excited.

Will chat more later tonight - just wanted to say Hi!

Jan and Nwroselady - great news on your loss! You rock!

Make today count, don't sweat the small stuff. If you do something you regret - let it go and move on. Keep putting one foot infront of the other.

LOL to all of my pals,
    Peggy

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

Good Tuesday all,

Welcome back Patti, I can't wait to hear more about your trip! I am sure it was great but there's no place like home to me!!

I am down 3.2 pounds after my first week of serious focus on WW. I am very happy about that! Jan and Roselady, you should be very happy about your loss - it's a start and you are well on your way to make those scales go down!

Those who live in warmer climates are very lucky that you can get out and walk safely! It's hard to walk around here with all the snow and ice. We got another foot over this past weekend and more on the way tonight. Ugh.

I am trying to get 10,000 steps a day in but it's not happening and I don't know what to do about it. I am getting about 5,000..........maybe trying to stay warm during barn chores helps!! LOL

Peggy, it's good to see you all fired up and getting things done to ensure your future!

Dee, I would love to know what brand WW pasta you use. All I have tried are just not cutting it for me - I would rather do without!

Raeanne, thanks for posting the recipe for Spinach Squares. They sound good!

My little doe Belle is doing much better. Only three more shots of antibiotics to go! She really hates the shot but there's nothing I can do. She is getting better about it!

We have the coldest air in four years coming in tomorrow through the weekend! That is low single digits during the day with winds and well below zero at night.....

Has anyone been able to watch the moon rising this week? It's nothing short of spectacular in the northeast! Venus still shines bright in the sky too!

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

I've seen the moon this week, Suzanne. It was spectacular! The light shone into my living room through the glass panel of my front door (sort of a stained leaded glass design). Beautiful; I felt like Close Encounters of the Third Kind.....as I just stood there staring at it. (I did NOT, however, howl at it...before anyone asks!) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, yesterday I treated myself to one (1) dark chocolate-covered brazil nut. I let it melt in my mouth and then ate the healthy nut. It was just enough to curb any further cravings.

Cutting back on breads this week. I eat a whole grain English Muffin in the morning, and then bring a salad with protein for lunch...no sandwich. Small steps, but I have not had the guts to weigh myself in over 2 months. I'm very frightened!

Whole Wheat Pasta? I've had really good success with America's Choice (A&P brand), but DeCecci is my favorite. DH does not care anymore when I use....we like it really Al Denti, so the flavor is very nutty (like me!) Mangia!

Gotta run and get a chair massage. It's been 2 weeks.

Later........

• Wild_Chicken
    15 years ago

PATTI!!!!!! Welcome back! We missed you! Thanks for getting us started. Do tell about your travels.

DeeÂand all you other east coasters: Your weather is YUCK! Wow. I hope it warms up there soon! CONGRATS over and over again for being sugar-free! I COULD NEVER DO THAT!!!! Oh, and I thought I heard you howling at the moon, but I must have been mistakenÂI always go outside with the kids and howl at the full moonsÂthey think itÂs a riot!----so do I! SoÂ..YouÂve GOT TO BE KIDDINGÂONE Brazil nut??? Oh, well, too many of those can be toxic anyway! (I saw House diagnose a Brazil but overdose onceÂitÂs the selenium!)

Raeanne: Today, IÂm cleaning out my laundry room and doing ALL the laundryÂa lot! I started the book Three Cups of Tea---has anyone read this book? IÂm hooked already. Did YOU get a chance to start a new book?

Jan: ******STARS***** for your weight loss! YAY! Love your celebrity report! I donÂt have TV, but I LOVE Meryl Streep! I just watched Bridges of Madison County last week-for the millionth time!

NWRoseLady: YAY! The scale moving down is great!

NHSuzanne: 3.2 POUNDS! ThatÂs great! Glad Belle is doing better! The amount of snow and ice you have is amazing---I hope it melts slowly though, so there are no floding problems like we have here.

Peggy: Glad to hear you got moving with the classes. You will learn so much! (IÂm Jealous!-with a capital "J.")

Marci: You are right! Deprivation is NOT good! -Moderation in everything, right?

Well, I have to take down the tree today. I have a state inspection tomorrow and I need to vacuum up all the needles! IÂm still doing my food diary, etc. It really helps.

• Wild_Chicken
    15 years ago

Gretchen: I've been without an internet connection since Friday and I have no TV, but just read about the COSTA RICA earthquake.

Is your DD okay????? Have you heard?

Sending light and warm thoughts your way today.

Love and Hugs...I really, really hope everythings's okay.

If you have time, please let us know....

Here is a link that might be useful: News Link

• User
    15 years ago

Hi again, I'm glad to report I am now 'done' with xmas and I think this will be my last year doing all of this. I'm tired of it. On the weight front I've dropped 4 lbs since xmas eating just from eating properly. Not stuffing myself, no more junk in this house (yea) to eat and making an effort to eat more fruit and veggies.
    Off to dig in the freezer to make dinner - glad to read all of the posts and hear of 'more losses'. Way to go - yeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I am happy to be back here. Tomorrow I start soup cooking and thinking ahead for meals.

Ta ta for now,
    Peggy

• aka_raeanne
    15 years ago

Those spinach squares were from when we were mostly doing SS. I don't know how they translate to anyone's WOE now, but I hope they work for you because they are delicious. I added artichokes to mine and they are fantastic.

Gret - I hope DD is safe and that you have at least been able to make contact to her, if that earthquake is anyplace near her.

BJ - I got your card today. Your family looks beautiful - thank you. I didn't get to start a new book, but I may go get one out the stack right now. I haven't read Three Cups of Tea, but I have picked it up to buy several times. Glad you are enjoying it.

Peg - congrats on the end of Christmas and the weight loss. I think I am going to just make soup for tonight.

Suzanne - I have been fortunate to be able to catch the moon as well - it truly is spectacular. We couldn't see it Saturday the night I think it was suppose to be the best for viewing as it was too cloudy here. Glad Belle is mending.

Dee - Good luck with cutting back on the bread. I was served a nice piece of garlic bread at lunch and didn't even pick it up LOL.

Nwroselady - WOW - congrats you are an inspiration to me!

After art class I had lunch with a friend that is heading to FL for the rest of the winter. Lucky girl!

I am going to make a chicken tortilla soup for dinner tonight.

Enjoy!

• donna_southnj
    15 years ago

Happy Tuesday!

Gretchen - holding good thoughts for DD ((hugs)).

Patti - Welcome home, we missed you!! I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Jan,Nwroselady and Peg - WTG on those losses! I gained this week but that was to be expected since I didn't control myself. This week is better.

Dee, I will have to try one of those brands of ww pasta. I'm with Suzanne, so far what I've tasted is less than impressive.

Suzanne, glad Belle is doing better.

Marci is right, deprivation is no good at all.
    Marci and Raeanne, thanks for the spinach square recipe. I will give them a try over the weekend.

Yes, we have had very cold weather and are heading toward single digits before the end of this week BUT I have also been viewing that beautiful moon. On New Year's Eve there was no gorgeous moon but the sky was so clear and full of stars it was breathtaking..it was also very cold which you can take but it was very windy which drove me back inside. I should have been an astronomer - I love it.

Hugs and love to all - will check in later - take care and be good!

Donna

• wodka
    15 years ago

Hi, everybody.

I'm just hear to eat my snarky words I made on Monday about Mickey Rourke, the actor who won a Golden Globe Sunday night for "The Wrestler." I just watched him being interviewed on Oprah, and my opinion changed greatly. So, my sincere apologies to Mr. Rourke. I look forward to seeing his movie.

Peggy, congratulations on getting done with Christmas decorations and losing 4 pounds. Everyone is off to such a great start!

• Wild_Chicken
    15 years ago

Wodka- LOL! You'll never make it as a celebrity gossip writer! Hey, if Nick Nolte can make a comeback, why can't Mickey???? So, let's all give the ole man a cheer:

Oh, Mickey, you're so fine! You're so fine you blow my mind! Hey, Mickey! Hey, Mickey!

I'm just trying to get out of laundry and taking down the tree duty here.....grumble, grumble. :-)

• wodka
    15 years ago

No kidding, BJ! I carry way too much Catholic guilt - ha!

("Oh, Mickey" - I used to love that song - tells you how ancient I am!!)

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK. I have to come back & post b/c Dave has dinner ready but I wanted to tell BJ real quick that "Three Cups of Tea" is the book that I took to read while we were on our trip. I liked it. You probably live in a close proximity to where he used to live, huh? Have you ever heard him talk? Let me know if you are interested in any articles on him. The lady who lent me the book is from Illinois & their town had adopted him, in a way, & the town paper had a few articles written on him so she has them in her book & I can copy & send to you before I return the book.

I'm proud of all you losers! :-) Patti

• besh
    15 years ago

BJ, LOL...you really crack me up? Hey Mickey! Jan, it is ok...I think the celebs get used to it. What made you change your mind about him?

Well I weighed in tonight. Down 2# for a total of 5.6# in 2 weeks...I'll take it. My regular WW leader is back so the meeting was good. I am really surprised I lost..DS was home over the weekend and we did a lot of eating out and I made some not so great choices. I hope they don't show up next week!

Patti, welcome back. :-)

Gretchen, I hope that you have some news about DD. I did not know about the earthquake until I came here tonight.

Raeanne, I love, love, love artichokes. Good idea putting them in the spinach squares. I especially love that hot artichoke dip. I am going to try and WW it and see if it is as good.

OK Dee, I haven't had a chair massage in like....never. It sounds wonderful and I am sure you deserved it!

McPeg, 4# is awesome...I think it is because you never slow down!

Roselady, any loss is better than a gain. I'll take .8 any day! Keep up the good work.

Suzanne, I am so happy about the little one. You are such a good nurse! My DS is going skiing at Mt Snow this weekend. I am really concerned about the frigid temps.

Got to go get ready for American Idol!!!! Anyone else watching? Tuesday nights are my favorite now...Nip Tuck is on at 10!

oxBesh

• Wild_Chicken
    15 years ago

Hi Patti,

I'd love the articles, if you have time to send them. I read an article about him in Men's Health mag and so I bought the book. Thanks!

• calgret
    15 years ago

Good Evening Everyone-I would like to address each of you personally but hell...I am not that organized!! LOLOL

I have heard from my DD and she is well and didn't feel the earth quake. They were about 100 miles south of the quake epicenter. They have left that spot and have gone north of epicenter. I just got off the phone with her because last night someone tried to break into one of the places they are staying in. Thank goodness it was not her building. This person cut the screen and fell in on someone. My DD said they were told to sleep with the windows closed..and this house did not follow the instructions. She called me this afternoon just to say it wasn't her cabin.

They passed parts of the earthquake area on their way up to their new location. She didn't see a lot of damage but did see ambulances and road damage. They did go through the area where they had to airlift the tourists out. I saw that on the news. They are near La Fortuna which is near an active volcano-AYE YI YI....she is aging me more and more. They may adjust the rest of their plans.

I am doing "well" with watching what I eat but seeing as I am a stressful eater...you can imagine I am not focused 100% right now with all the Costa Rica info.

Is anyone here doing online WW?

BJ-I got your card today and I cannot believe how big your girls are. They are so grown up.

Catch you all later

Gretchen

• marci_pa
    15 years ago

Good Morning!

Gretchen - so glad that you heard from DD and she is safe. I can only imagine the stress you are feeling. Thank goodness for cell phones and email so you can stay connected.

BJ - I too got your card. What a great looking family. And it was nice to see Baby V. What a cutie! Thanks for the kind words too.

Raeanne - I hadn't thought of those spinach squares in a long time. I may have to make a batch this weekend. I liked having them for lunch with a salad.

Patti - Welcome back. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures. Send us northerners some of that southern sunshine!!!

I didn't get off to a good start this week but after two restless nights, I am determined to get back on track. I should never go to the grocery store hungry is what I have learned this week! LOL

Off to make a cup a WARM tea and WARM oatmeal for breakfast.

Later,
    Marci

• wodka
    15 years ago

Good morning!

It is a chilly morning here down South! Might have to wait a while until I venture outside today.....or find something I can do inside.

Besh, here's the reason I changed my opinion on dear old Mickey. We tell ourselves over and over again that looks aren't everything, that beauty comes from within, and then here I make a smart comment about a person I don't even know. And when I heard him speak, he came across as a man who has fought many demons but is trying his best and is so grateful for being given a second chance. Really, when you think about it, not much different from the rest of us.

On a much lighter note, congratulations on your weight loss, Besh. I am a new fan of Nip/Tuck. I still have to shut my eyes during the gory parts, but what a show! The new young "genius" doctor is a hoot. I've watched American Idol for years, but last night I watched The Biggest Loser again and teared up again when Jerry, the old guy, left. I was so happy to see how good he is doing after he left.

Gretchen, I'm so glad your daughter is safe. I would love to go to Costa Rica one day, it looks like a paradise (except when earthquakes hit.) What a wonderful experience for her (Costa Rica, not the earthquake.)

Here's to another good day.

Jan

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

Happy WEDNESDAY!

Just got out of a 2-hour worldwide video meeting. Thank goodness our screen was not on (sometimes we see the other teams and ourselves). We had presentations on the screen that would normally show us....I detest the way I look on the screen and always squirm away out of camera range.

I've decided to join one of the weight loss teams here at the office. It's for charity. Costs us $10 to join, and they assign you to a team based on weight and BMI; only use nicknames, and get weighed at the nurses' clinic here. The team that loses the most weight gets all the money for their favorite charity. There is a maximum of 5 pounds a week that is counted (to avoid the crash diet stuff). We do our own thing to lose the weight. Not sure I want to see the number, but it's for charity..........

I made ww pasta last night and cut my portion in half. Before you all go and pat me on the back, you should be aware that my normal portion was way out of line. LOL!!!!

Gret, glad to read that your DD is OK, but I'd be crunching on chips alongside you with all my emotional eating problems.

Gotta run....
    MIA's - CHECK IN!!!
    Dee

• aka_raeanne
    15 years ago

Dee - what a great motivator to lose weight. I know I have said this before but you really work for a great company.

Jan - Now I feel bad for making a crack about him not washing his hair. My NY resolution was to be a better person and I forgot rule #1. I should not point fingers, you should see how I run out to the grocery store of post office sometimes YIKES.

Gret - glad that DD is safe. I will send positive thoughts just the same.

I am still doing well with my WOE. My jeans are not as snug and that will be my indicator of how I am doing. I refuse to get on the scale until I go to my Dr. next month. With my WOE I am suppose to weigh-in every day, but right now that could spell disaster for me.

Marci - I had the spinach squares for breakfast yesterday and today. DH is really enjoying them as well. I am so happy that something made me think of them.

Besh - I watched Idol, but I was reading in between, so I missed a lot. I think I will enjoy the new judge. I still can't help but feel sorry for some of those kids.

Donna - it was below zero this AM and is up to 6 degrees right now. We are expecting high winds and that will give us a wind chill of way below zero. I want to hibernate!

xoxoxoxo

• wodka
    15 years ago

raeanne, that's great about your WOE! I've got a doctor's appointment, I think in March, and I'm so looking forward to weighing much less than I did at last visit. I only weigh once a week, at the Weight Watchers meeting. My weight can fluctuate on a dime, so figure once a week is the best route for me to take.

I flipped over to American Idol during Biggest Loser commercials. I hate I missed the last contestant, the blind boy - I heard he had a beautiful voice. I will probably get more involved in the show as the finalists are chosen.

Stay bundled up. It's 42 here and I'm cold. Still a wuss - ha.

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

Happy Thursday!

It is brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry cold here and slight snow. Since the traffic is not great, I'm working from home for another hour or so.

Received an e:mail yesterday from our fitness center director yesterday which stated "...was watching you on Monday evening. You ROCKED @ yoga class!". How cool was that? Talk about motivation. Guess who was the FIRST to show up at Pilates class yesterday? Loving it. I say this over and over, but I just wish I would remember how good it feels to run through a great workout class. Why do I find a hundred other things to do when I know I should make it there? It's only about 200 yards from my office, and we even have a locker room/shower here!!! Need to engage DH more in getting dinner ready on my late nights when there are classes offered for me.

BJ, take out those boots and get ready to kick some butts!

Having problems getting water in. I know I need to improve that. Still off most sugar, but I did have a small piece of pumpkin/nut bread this morning with sugarless jam.

Hope you are all well today. Stay warm.

Later.................

• Wild_Chicken
    15 years ago

Hi Guys!

One word of advice: Don't get on the scale! Go with how you and your clothes feel! I got on the scale yesterday and it ruined my WHOLE day. I thought I was doing so well, so I hopped on and I was 3 pounds up! So, being totally disgruntled, I went downstairs and ate 3 pieces of rye toast with butter, then I felt guilty and drank tea for lunch. After lunch, starved (of course), I ate a large piece of DH's banana cream pie and I donÂt know what else. Day-um! I was a goner. LOTS of veggie bootie all afternoon while I wallowed in my self pity and sodium overload, and I really donÂt remember EVERYTHING that I ate! Whoa. Then I finally got a hold of myself and had rice, chicken, and salad for dinner. ARG! Today, I got on the scale and I'm down a poundÂHUH???--I hate the freakin' scale! I'm putting it in the garage on a high shelf as soon as IÂm done posting. I am too tempted to weigh every day and it determines my mood and motivation for the day.

*******END OF THAT VENT!*******

Gretchen! THANK HEAVEN DD IS A-OKAY! Man-O-Man, that is GOOD NEWS!

Dee: You rock! Congrats at keeping up with the exercise! Baby V is going to spend Saturday night and Sunday night at his potential adoptive parents home, so I am going to take the opportunity to walk, walk, walk in the morning, while he is gone. Since I moved, and the older kids (babysitters) are off at college, I have many excuses NOT to exercise, one of them being: THE BABY! So, anyway, I am headed out with my loaded MP3 player this weekend.

Raeanne: Thanks for posting the Spinach Sqs Recipe. IÂm making them tonight! Re: note: "Pointing the finger" means THREE fingers are pointing back at you! (IÂd love to say IÂd thought of that, but itÂs not true!) One of my New YearÂs resolutions was to make myself more presentable upon leaving the houseÂthe women in this town are very "natural" and I was beginning to blend in---heaven forbid! LOL. Mickey Rourke would be considered a "local," IÂm afraid! OW! HowÂs that for finger pointing? (IÂm already regretting typing THAT!)

Okay, enough. I have to go make an ABC chart for the baby. I am teaching him American Sign Language and he knows almost all the ABC signs now, plus about 40 other signs for things. HeÂs such a genius!

Check in MIASÂwe know youÂre out thereÂÂ

• wodka
    15 years ago

BJ, you make me laugh. "Day-um" sounds like something I would say (or Gomer Pyle! ha.)

Definitely, just weigh once a week, if that often. So many things can make your weight fluctuate. I was bummed over not losing more the first WW weigh in, but I got over it, thanks partly to y'all. I feel so much better already - little things like being able to walk further and faster, my wedding ring isn't as tight, my face looks thinner. Sleeping a lot better. Have not had one bit of heartburn since starting WW. Husband even says I'm not snoring as much. That's a lot to be grateful for, and I am. Don't get me wrong - I've got "pounds to go before I sleep...." but we're all going to get there.

I talked to my competitive pre-Katrina neighbor last night, and she lost 6 pounds her first week, and she's not even exercising yet. But that's okay - and I really was happy for her. The more she stays with it and we urge each other on, the better it is for both of us.

"Mickey Rourke would be considered a local" ----that is too funny.....

Baby V sounds so precious and so smart! What wonderful memories you are making.

Jan

• milkdud_2007
    15 years ago

Good afternoon, everyone.

I've been faithfully working out at the church gym since last Friday, and it's working! I've lost 5 lbs. since I started, and my energy level is increasing. I'm still not crazy about some of the equipment, and I can't wait until the Butterfly Life equipment is set out, but it's nice to know that what I am doing is already showing results. One thing I've added to my workout is walking on the treadmill and using their recumbent bike before and after using the equipment. BL didn't have either piece. I'm wondering if that's what's making a difference.

Gretchen, I am so thankful that your DD is safe from the earthquake and from any breakins! How frightening for everyone.

Dee, WTG on getting that much-needed pat on the back about your working out. Now, get in there for those classes every chance you get!

BJ, I know that you'll miss V this weekend, but I'm glad that you have the chance for some "me time"!

Besh & Jan, congrats on your WW weight losses. I notice that when I stay strictly on WW, I quickly lose the reflux and sleep so much better. It has to be the food plan.

Marci, I can't grocery shop on an empty stomach either because my resistance disappears and I buy everything!

Raeanne,thanks for posting the spinach squares recipe. I haven't fixed those in ages, so I'll do them this weekend and enjoy!

My granddaughters are coming for the weekend, and I need to pull out my WW recipes that they love and fix those. No excuse for unhealthy eating while they're visiting!

BJ, thanks for the shout-out to the MIA. It made me happy to know that you missed us!

• maddie_in_ky
    15 years ago

Hi all!

Yep, it's me. 'Don't you know I'm still standing better than I ever did; Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid. I'm still standing after all this time' (Love Elton!) Now schootch over and let me settle in for a bit and tell you all what's been going on with in my so-called life. Or at least as much as I can. :)

Well, a summation: fire, meth lab, cops, job stress, meth lab, cops, meth lab, cops, job stress, minor explosions (weirdest thing), DEA, fire, job stress, breakdown, find a house, start to move, explosion, move, court, heart attack, job stress, court, threats, lost job.

OK. That pretty much sums up '08 and, so far, '09.

However, I've made some pretty amazing changes to me, which needed to be done, and all of the cr@p that happened last year has made me stand still (for the first time in decades) and take a good, long look at me. I am now working on who I am. I don't know me any longer. I see the face in the mirror, but for the love of all that is holy, I can not answer the question "Who am I?¨ Not a clue. I've run on autopilot for so long that I've lost me. And I miss me. I just spent a week with my best girlfriend and some of her friends on a girls-only week, and we had a blast. I needed it, and it was good to stay up all night, giggling and drinking cheap wine. And I started to come back. To see what the truly important things are. To not feel the weight of my world on my shoulders. To laugh and laugh and laugh, and then laugh some more because it felt so good. To remember that I'm still standing better than I ever did. And that I'll continue to stand because that's. who. I. am.

And.....I'm going to nursing school. :):):) Yippeee!!! I finally got off my @ss and did something that I've contemplated for a loooong time. I wanted to be a doctor when I was a kid, and all through college, I had the thought that I was making a big mistake going into my major (I'm good at it, but my heart is not there), but given my circumstances at the time, I did the best I could with what I had to work with. So, I've showed up late to the party, but at least I've showed up. Better late than never, huh? :)

So, given the past year, and losing my job last week, I am in good spirits, and have adopted Dee's 'Never give up' motto as my own.

I'm still standing, baby!!!

Love to all,

Maddie

• milkdud_2007
    15 years ago

Maddie, it's wonderful to read about the "new you" in 2009! I'm sorry for what all you've been through in 2008, but I'm glad you survived everything to arrive at such a good-for-you place now.

Welcome back!

• besh
    15 years ago

Oh my God Maddie....it is soooooo great to see you here! I can't tell you what a relief it is to see your post. You sound so upbeat and it looks like 2009 is going to be a great year for you. It is never too late....if you don't do it now, when will you? Great big (((HUGS))) to you and to Rog. Please don't stay away. We ALL really missed you.

Now I have to go back and read the other posts. I saw Maddie here and that is as far as I got.

oxBesh

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

Good Frigid Friday!!

Only -18 at my house this morning. Will warm up to a toasty 6 if we are lucky!

Maddie!!! Welcome home sister. We have all been so worried about you but you sound GREAT!! Congrats on your new career endeavors! Good for you nurse Maddie! I was very happy to put 2008 behind me and I am so happy to have you here in 2009! Don't go away like that again!

Milkdud, congrats on your weight loss!! You continue to inspire me.

WOD: What are your weekend plans? I am sticking around to make sure the home fires stay burning during this sub-zero cold snap!

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know, I know, I've got to stop jumping in & out. I promise I'll come back but I'm still in my jammies. LOL

Maddie~Welcome Home Sistah! So glad to see the YOU we all know & love! Sorry to read about your troubles but glad to know that you are finally doing something that you really love. That's awesome. Stay in touch.

I have a really big favor to ask--I'm doing a LO on my friends & you have been my friends for a long time. Would you please e-mail me a pic that you wouldn't mind me using of you? Please use the hotmail acct. I check that one more often. I would so appreciate it. I don't want to leave anyone out & you are SO important to me.

I've got to get dressed but promise to come back & catch up with everyone.

Dave has volunteered to help with the Super Bowl so he is picking up his uniform tomorrow & I'm going to go with him. IDK what else we will do this weekend. My DF just broke her wrist & a rib yesterday & she is supposed to call after she sees the dr today to let me know what he says. I will go help her if she needs/wants.

Have a great day! I'm hoping to be back this afternoon.

McPeggy~I'm making a quilt! I have it all cut out & Dave is in the process right now of seeing if the sewing machine is in proper working order. If not, we'll have to get that worked on. Can't wait to tell you all about it.

Patti :-)

• aka_raeanne
    15 years ago

MADDIE - "I'm still standing, yeah, yeah, yeah"... I had to read your post twice to make sure it was you and then I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming! WELCOME HOME, things haven't been the same without you. Your ears must have been ringing because you were mentioned often and no one can make a sticky roasted chicken without thinking of you and a stapler. I am so excited for you and your new journey. I can't wait to hear more.

Patti - I will gladly send a photo but what is an LO? I feel really stupid when I can't figure out chat talk.

Suzanne - I feel your pain. It was -19 when I got to work this morning. We are up to a balmy 3 right now.

Milkdud - WTG on the 5lbs!

I'm busy at work but couldn't ignore Maddie's post!!!

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

MADDIE!!!! -- I gotta tell ya that there were times I thought I'd never see your ID here again. You had us frightened, but I'm glad you're back. Nursing? What a great profession! You go girl! Please pass the sticky chicken.

• marci_pa
    15 years ago

We were at -9 when I got up and we have now warmed up to -6!! They canceled schools for today, so I am home and staying inside. I am going to make a pot of Minnestrone and huddle under my afghan while I read.

Maddie - You were sorely missed girl. We were worried about you and I can't tell you how glad I am to see that you are safe and well on your way to becoming who you want to be. Here's to a Fine-2009!!!

Patti - I too need to know what an LO is? I hate pictures of myself, but I think my DD took an acceptable one of me this Christmas. Does that mean you will be going to the Super Bowl?? I am hoping for a Steelers/Eagles matchup!!
    What did Dave have to do to sign up to volunteer. I should tell DS about it. I do know that even if the Steelers make it to the Super Bowl, he wasn't willing to pay for a ticket.

Off to fix some lunch.

Marci

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

Marci & Patti, I got Plum Spooky at the library. I was laughing at the first paragraph this morning.

• yankandtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK--LO is layout. I'm scrapbooking a layout with new friends I've made this year & friends that I have had. I have pics of you but thought that this would give you an opportunity to pick the one that I use. LOL Stinky of me, isn't it? Actually, it just means that you are all important to me & that I want to have you down as part of my life. Thanks again. I'm hoping it will turn out really awesome. :-)

Oh Marci! They had a call on the tv months ago to volunteer for the Super Bowl. Dave just had to go to a site on the 'Net & sign up. Then they put all of them through a FBI background, I guess. It was funny b/c he passed that with flying colors but almost didn't get to volunteer b/c his head is too big to wear the hat that is part of the "official" uniform! However, they aren't making the women wear it so they decided that they would let him be a volunteer too & forego wearing the hat. He won't get to see the Super Bowl but will be somewhere close by that day. And, we are hoping that he gets to be one of the volunteers that is in the autograph booth. ;)

• donna_southnj
    15 years ago

Wow, miss a day or two and lots to catch up on.

I can't address everyone individually right now but congrats to all who have lost weight this week.

Maddie, welcome back. I'm glad you are seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Nursing is a wonderful and fulfilling profession. I'm not a nurse but was in college many moons ago pursuring my BSN. I work with and for nurses now.

Will check in over the weekend - be good and those with this vicious cold stay warm!!

Sorry Marci, I have to say it - GO EAGLES!!!

Donna

• Wild_Chicken
    15 years ago

Hi Guys!

NHSuzanne and all of you east coasters: Hope your weather heats up and you get some relief from the freezing temps...SOON!

Wkend plans: Baby V goes to his prospective adoptive parents for an overnighter tomorrow! YIPES! And if it goes okay, he'll be there Sunday night too. I'm going to the mainland to drop him off. Then go to Costco & load up on healthy pantry items on Saturday! Then out to a real-live grown up dinner in a restaurant (baby free!) on Saturday night. Sunday, I'm helping out on a photo shoot and then I'm going to Gran Torino (new Clint Eastwood flick) AND Marley and ME (dog movie.) I'm walking (baby free) Sunday and Monday morning around the entire island--! I'm doing TONS of laundry, cleaning my pantry out, organizing my recycling and garbage, and straightening out my 1/4 of the garage. Oh, and I'm also finishing up my New Year's cards! And Monday evening, they will bring Baby V back and I'll be TOTALLY organized, the house and garage will be clean, shopping will be done,and I'll have lost about 20 pounds and look 10 years younger. Yeah, that's it...

Welcome back, Maddie. If you have time, check in and let us know how the nursing school is going. Great profession to choose; it's recession-proof, I hear.

Have a great weekend everyone! Cheers!

• wodka
    15 years ago

Good morning!

Maddie, I don't know you very well, but congratulations to you for overcoming so much and beginning the New Year with such energy. I see here how well-loved you are and am glad you are posting so I can get to know you better, too.

Guess what I found today - the tape measure I've been not really looking for so I could measure my progress with WW. Good golly, Miss Molly - was this ever an awakening! I didn't walk yesterday because it never warmed up ("excuse") but to heck with that. I could walk to Canada (hi, Peggy!) and it wouldn't be enough to rid me of this caboose I'm carrying. I will walk today, and from now on, for sure. Just one look at these measurements will get me going.....jeez.

Have any of you ever used "Frownies?" They're basically kraft paper tape that you sleep in and can put on your worry lines and help them "disappear." They've been around for 100 years and Hollywood stars swore by them. I can't afford and don't want to do botox, so I bought some for my forehead (I look like the gladiator when I go to bed!) I swear, even if it's temporary, I can tell a bit of a difference after two days. Steinmart sells them, but I ordered mine from drugstore.com. We'll see.

BJ, I hope your "free" weekend is everything you hope it to be. Have fun. Wish you were here to walk with!

Stay warm and healthy, everybody!

• besh
    15 years ago

Hi All,

Jan, I like your description...caboose. That is a perfect word for what I am carrying around too. I have not dared do the tape measure thing, but I know it is a good way to measure your progress, especially on those weeks that nothing shows on the scales! Good luck with the frownies..I thought you were going to say they were bad diet brownies!

BJ, enjoy your weekend. I hope things work out for Baby V...he has been so lucky to have you in his life. I would love to see that wonderful family picture of yours that everyone has been raving about!

It is so unbelievably cold here. DS is skiing in Vermont this weekend. I hope he bundles up...he packed enough clothes for a month!

Patti, I can send you a picture as soon as I find one that I don't mind sharing...those are hard to come by..LOL

I must go do another load of laundry...it is never ending...I am load #4 and probably have 3 more to go and then sheets!

Enjoy the weekend. Stay warm!

oxBesh

• marci_pa
    15 years ago

Sing along with Ella and me: "We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave. The temperature's rising. It isn't surprising. She certainly can, can-can." We are finally out of the below 0 temps and have reached a balmy 7ºF today. It is supposed to get into the high teens later. Yahoo!

I was at the post office this morning and the postal clerk said that one of his drivers had no heat in the mail truck. That has to be one cold postman!

My first instinct when it is this cold is to bake. Why? Is it the thought of the warmth from the oven? Is just the idea of comfort food? I wish I knew and could counteract the feeling. But like a fool I bought the ingredients to make a Date-Nut quick bread. But I am going to make 4 mini loaves and freeze 3 of them for my friend's bake sale. So I will get a small taste and still get to satisfy my need to create something yummy in the kitchen. That is my story and I am sticking to it-lol.

I made a big pot of Minnestrone yesterday and bought a fresh loaf of Italian bread at the store today. I am going to go heat some up for lunch and try to get warm. Spring can not come soon enough for me.

Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry Donna and Dee and anyone else on the East Coast) It would be great to have PA represented in the Super Bowl though, wouldn't it? Let's hope they both win this weekend and it will be PA all the way!

Later,
    Marci

• aka_raeanne
    15 years ago

When I went to the gym this morning it was -10 it is now 10* that is a 20 degree jump YIPEEEE. LOL

Marci - I made a chicken tortilla soup this week and it saved me.

Besh - My friends went skiing today too and I think they are out of their minds. Yeah, the sun was out, but it was below zero. I know your son has youth on his side LOL.

Wodka - When I was skinny I had a bit of a caboose - it has only gotten larger over the years.

BJ - You have quite a weekend lined up for yourself. I believe you will be 20 lbs lighter LOL. I hope baby V adjusts easily (and you too).

I have had a very long day at work. Very busy with paperwork, etc.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. If anyone is doing laundry look for me.

xo

• aamylynne
    15 years ago

Maddie - I'm happy to see you here, too. And that's been one of my favorite songs ever since I first heard it. I know you've been through a lot and I'm so happy that you are seeing an easier road now. As far as not knowing who you are, well, I'm not sure I've ever known who I am, and you know, there is a saying that says that we need to die in every moment to who we have been in order to truly live. And that sense of humor is still there, too. (hug)

BJ - thanks so much for the card and update. What a wonderful family you have! And it seems everyone is doing something fulfilling and interesting. What kind of cases will Steve be taking? I'm going to send you a box of cards that I've been selling here. They are notecards, mostly flower paintings and a couple of landscapes.

Can't stay long as usual, but I do try to get buy and see who is here and how things are going. I'll try to post more :)

Amy

• nhsuzanne
    15 years ago

Good Sunday all,

It has warmed up to 10 degrees and has been snowing all night! We have 10" of white fluffy stuff down with more to come. It's gorgeous sparkly snow - big flakes. I was worried that I would have a weekend without snow to shovel!! Thank God I haven't been let down. LOL

It is amazing how agreeable the sub zero temps can be with no wind to aggravate you!

Now that I have Belle feeling better her brother, Rock is having bloody nose episodes! I have no idea why and will have to call the vet tomorrow! It's always something it seems. But I am knocking on wood that everyone is healthy in my barn.

I have been sitting by the fire reading and watching the snow come down. It's really pretty.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

• Wild_Chicken
    15 years ago

Hi Guys,

AMY!!!!!!!! Always a pleasure to have you stop in. I miss you always. I love your work. Glad you are seling cards---at the art center or online? DH will be starting with Family Law, Criminal Law, Wills, Property Disputes, and DUIs. A little of everything, I guess. I hate the criminal and DUI part, but that's exactly why I'm not a lawyer!

Well, I have been having a bit of a fun time this weekend. But I miss my Baby V.

Had a NICE dinner out with friends last night-the best Chicken Picatta I've had EVER. It is an addicting dish! I had ONE Baileys and coffee and 1/3 of a Bananas Foster, which I only ate (seriously) because the other woman at our table didn't want to eat dessert alone. It was SO fun to have a night out!

Then I got to sleep in today. I assisted in 2 short photo shoots and then picked up some of little DD's friends and caught an early showing of Marley and Me. The kids liked it, but what can I say? I'm not a fan of Jennifer Aniston or Owen Wilson. It was nice to sit in the theater and not HAVE to do anything though---GREAT FEELING!

-Making a big salad tonight with Romaine, feta, crushed filberts, dried cranberries, and chunks of the refrigerator section Del Monte peaches-in-a-jar and a light homemade dressing. They have NO good produce on this island in winter, but with the refrigerated fruits, and good cheeses (in moderation!), we can still get a good salad going!

I went off island yesterday and had 1/2 a Noah's "Everything" bagel--it was a religious experience. Had the other half this afternoon.

NHSuzanne~ You sound like you actually might be enjoying THIS snow! I'm with Marci: I'm ready for winter to end anytime now! Stay cozy, girlfriend!

Marci: I made the spinach squares a couple of days ago---SO GOOD! Mind sharing your Minestrone recipe with us? Your recipes are dee-lish!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource