Return to the Diet Club Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm at my wits end

Posted by mid_pen (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 0:33

Hello. I am so overwhelmed by my weight. My doctor says I should consider weight loss surgery if I can't lose the weight and so far I haven't been successful. I get real hyper about it and then don't follow through after a day or two. Can I post here or join up with anyone who needs to lose 100 pounds? That's so much I don't even know if I could do it on my own really. I live alone now and it's hard to make a plan and stick to it so I think I need some support.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm at my wits end

mid pen, a lot of us here understand what you are going through. I found myself in a similar situation, after several years of emotional eating, stress, etc. I had just about convinced myself that it was impossible for me to lose weight at my age, (59.)

First of all, just try to lose a little bit at a time. Stop telling yourself that you need to lose 100, aim for 5, or 10 and just go from there. Before you know it, you will have lost 10, then 20, then 30. When you start and weigh yourself that first day of your healthier lifestyle, tell yourself that this is the biggest you are going to be, and that it's going to be downhill from hereon. A year ago, I joined Weight Watchers and started a simple walking program. I've lost 56 pounds (as of last week's weigh in) and would like to lose 15 more. I should have been at my goal by now, but I relaxed during the holidays. Don't beat yourself up when you splurge from time to time, because most of us do. Enjoy the moment, then get on with it.

You mention that you live alone. You can use that to your advantage - clean out your pantry and fridge of the stuff that's not good for you, stock up on healthy foods, etc.

Do you have someone you can exercise with - a buddy system really helps me, although some prefer the solitude of walking by themselves. Also, if you find a good support group, like Weight Watchers or TOPS, you might enjoy the social part of it, as well. We have a great group that I look forward to seeing every week.

Good luck to you. There are a lot of great people here who can help you. You can do it.

o

This forum is a great help.

I'm 79 and can't exercise as much as I should because of some other medical problems. But I have lost 29.5 pounds. If I can do it, anyone can.

I'm always wanting to snack and as I live with my son, don't feel I can deny him the treats he likes but the idea of making sure none are in the house is a good one, if you are living alone.

All the best to you and please keep posting.

Harold is a wonderful help with all his encouragement on the weekly weigh in.

o

Thank you, Ivamae.

Mid_pen, I think wodka and ivamae have given you some good advice. You are welcome to join us on the weigh-in thread.

I've lost 93 pounds in the last year. It can be done. What works for me is counting calories and exercise. It doesn't have to be heavy exercise. I count calories using a computer spreadsheet, but there are some online journals that can be very helpful. My favorite ones are:
http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov
http://www.fitday.com

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Mypyramidtracker

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Diet Club Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here