SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie2_gw

Any Other Calorie Counters Out There?

carrie2
18 years ago

I've been counting calories for three years as of January 27. I'm on my second ten-pack of steno books. When I started three years ago, I lost 15 lbs. in seven months and then I gained the weight back and stayed that way for another year. During the last year I've lost 28 lbs. in about nine months.

I've weighed myself every Saturday morning and recorded my weight in my book, even as I was gaining. When I started three years ago, I measured, looked foods up in calorie books, averaged my calories, tried to figure out how many calories I would need to maintain my weight or to lose weight. I don't do any of that anymore, but I am religious about listing everything I eat and trying honestly to figure the calories. At first I tried to make a game of it, but now I just do it and it doesn't seem like a chore. From my calculations in the first year or so, I could see very clearly that if I had fewer calories I would lose and if I had more I would gain.

I try to keep my calories to 2000 a day, and if I do I lose weight, slowly but surely. I've found an additional benefit to staying at or near my limit every day. I had noticed for a long time that every night as I prepared for bed I would get a sinking feeling, not really depression or anything that would last, but just a fleeting feeling of regret and I was sure it signified to me another wasted opportunity to lose weight. Since I've been fairly consistently staying around 2000, I don't get that feeling anymore, even on the occasional day when I go substantially over. I don't know if anyone else has experienced something similar, but for me being rid of that feeling every night is almost as good as losing the weight. I think keeping it away is an additional incentive now.

Another thing that has been satisfying to me about counting calories is that I don't feel like I constantly need to start a new diet of some kind. In fact, when I look back, I realize I've gained more weight while trying to work myself up to start a new diet and dreading the sacrifice and pain that dieting involves.

It's also not like the kind of diet that falls completely apart when you eat something that isn't allowed. Everything is allowed as long as I write it down and weigh myself every week, even when I don't want to.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor