Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Meringue Cookies?

Posted by jane__ny (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 17, 06 at 22:56

I hope someone can help. I want to make these cookies using Just Whites, the pasteurized egg whites. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup egg whites. Doesn't specify how many eggs. All the measurements on the Just Whites are for the number of eggs.
It will say 4 egg whites = 1/4 cut Just Whites.
Anyone know how many egg whites are in 1/2 cup?

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Meringue Cookies?

Pretty much a dozen egg whites of large eggs makes 1 1/2 cups.
So...6 would be 3/4 cup and 2 would be 1/4 cup....or pretty close.
Linda C

o
RE: RECIPE: Meringue Cookies?

That's about right. Also, you can vary the amount of sugar. I have to do this since egg whites vary in size, too. After whipping the whites fully, I usually add the amount of sugar specified gradually, then check to see if it is stiff enough. The whipped whites with the incorporated sugar need to be very stiff to hold their shape in baking. If peaks are limp you will need to keep adding sugar. Thus you can adapt to the actual volume of your whites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here