Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
virginia7074

RECIPE: What kind of cookies would you dry overnight?

Virginia7074
19 years ago

The recipe that Roselin posted on Lisa's German cookie thread reminded me of something.

My grandma used to make cookies at Christmas that she cut into diamonds or squares, covered with a dish towel, and left out to dry overnight on the dining room table. She baked them the next morning and I think she glazed them, too. Do you think they may have been lebkuchen? I've never seen a recipe using that drying technique, but I don't know what else they could be. Maybe Springerle? Yet I'm sure these cookies had candied fruit and nuts. Any ideas? They were my favorites. Then again, all cookies are my favorites.

Comments (10)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Could it be some time of Springerle? My mother used to make anise cookies like that.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

One of my Pfeffernuse recipes uses that technique and it seems like I saw not too long ago another one but will have to look.
    RL`

• lindac
    19 years ago

I make an anise drop thingie like that....I will need to hunt for the recipe....but it's lots of eggs, anise seed, sugar, flour and lots of beating. it's a thin batter and you drop it onto parchment and let it sit overnight....bake in the morning and it forms a sweet smooth glaze on top and crispy cookie underneath.
    Linda C

• roselin32
    19 years ago

According to my German cookbooks, there are a number of cookies that they allow to dry several hours or overnight.
    Springerle are another one. If you would like some recipes, let me know.
    RL`

• Lisa_in_Germany
    19 years ago

If they were cut out in the shape of stars, they were probably Zimtsterne. Let me know and I have a recipe for them also.
    Lisa

• Virginia7074
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks all. I don't think they were springerle, b/c they didn't taste of anise and she didn't use a Springerle pin. I remember them being spice-flavored, so thought they were most likely lebkuchen. But maybe they were pfeffernuse, which I've made before, but I've rolled them into little balls and let them dry, instead of cutting them out. I'd love your pfeffernuse and zimtsterne recipes! I was raised on anise, so have quite a few recipes I like containing that, but thanks anyway.

• lindac
    19 years ago

Were they dark or light colored?
    Linda C

• Virginia7074
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kind of a caramel color, dry and "toothy". My dad would dunk them.

• aelizabeth
    16 years ago

I'm also trying to find a cookies which dried overnight. My Czech grandmother made a spice cookies w/ a lot of eggs which she called Zuzvernichy (please forgive my phonetic spelling). These cookies were light in color and kept well, they were delicious with tea or coffee.

• Virginia7074
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I'm surprised that this post popped up again after all these years - but it's timely and I'll tell you why.

Last week, one of my cousins included me on a post that was going around that had some of Grandma's recipes. One of them was for her lebkuchen (actually her daughter's recipe) and I'm almost certain that these are the cookies I remember. One cousin said that they were always kind of dry and I said it was probably because Grandma let them dry out overnight. (Or maybe she didn't.)

Anyway, I was just thrilled to have it. I'm going to make them this weekend and will report back on whether or not they're what I remember. (There weren't any directions, so you just have to use your basic cookie-making judgment.)

Lebkuchen

1 lb. brown sugar (3 cups)
    1/2 lb. of shortening (1 cup)
    2 eggs
    3/4 c. molasses
    3/4 c. sour milk
    1/2 teaspoons. each cinnamon, cloves, allspice & ginger
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    7 to 8 cups flour
    1 cup of raisins
    1/2 lb. nuts (2 cups)
    1 box of citron