Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Jam Thumbprints

Posted by LoriJean44 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 03 at 21:28

I made Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) Jam Thumbprints today. They went together very easily and are delicous!

Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Makes 32 cookies

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
Raspberry and/or apricot jam (I used store-bought apricot and my homemade raspberry-plum jam)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1-1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1 ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Jam Thumbprints

My mother made jam thumbprints years ago at Christmas. Glad you posted this.

o

I brought them into work and they were a hands-down hit. They were so easy to make, I'm going to bring in more next week.

Lori

o

Pretty much everything Ina does is good... I just bought one of her cookbooks from amazon.com a few days ago. One of the things I want to make is her homemade granola. And lots of other recipes. They all seem so easy and homey.

o

I want one of her cookbooks for Christmas, but can't decide which one! I watched her show last night where she made these jam thumbprints - looked so yummy! I think I am going to try them next week. Your photo is so tempting - should make them now! ~ Suzie

o

One (+) year later ...
Lori, just wanted to let you know I was thinking of making some raspberry jam thumbprint cookies for a New Year's Day gathering I'm hosting. Did a search and came up w/your recipe, which sounds like a winner. I'll be making them and I'm predicting they'll be a big hit w/my Dutch friends.

o

Barbara, they are sooo easy! They always get raves. I made some for the office last week, but will be making another batch for New Year's myself! Happy baking!

Lori

o

Made these this morning, and they were devoured and much appreciated by my guests this evening. One caveat... wait until they are completely cooled before tasting! They looked and smelled so good when they came out of the oven, I just had to sample one (in the name of quality control of course!). Waited what I thought was a reasonable time, but that jam stays HOT for quite a while, and I burned my mouth a bit.
These are great cookies and I'll definitely make them again. Thanks, Lori.

o

You're welcome, Barbara. Sorry about the burn - hope you're okay now!

Lori

o

My family all go "EWWW!" at coconut....so I roll mine in chopped almonds or pecans....
Linda C

o

This looks like a good recipe but do you only get 32 cookies from 3/4# of butter?
Thanks.
RL`

o

Basically, yes. Actually, I must have made mine just a tad smaller than Lori's because I got 39, I think. Repeat after me: "Butter is good... butter is good ... butter is..."
Really, they're worth it, IMO.

o

Right but with 3/4 of a pound of butter, seemed like they should have made more. Thanks for your response.
RL`

o

RL, it's basically a shortbread cookie, that's why so much butter (the main ingredient - agh!) Each cookie is pretty thick, but very tender - I think you'll like them!

Lori

o

Thanks, Lori, I probably would. We made the Peanut Blossoms at my son's and didn't get anywhere near the numbers we should have and they are shaped the same way these are so guess it just depends on how large you make the balls.
RL`

o

I'm going to try these. I made her peanut butter cookies and they turned out like bricks. I threw them out. I wonder if I did something wrong. Has anyone tried her peanut receipe? Jane

o

Lori, I made these over Christmas and they were a huge hit. I didn't have coconut so I rolled the balls of dough in colored sugar then used my homemade raspberry and apricot jam to fill them.

Ashley works at a very upscale local "Inn", and she took some to work over Christmas. They have a Chef who went to some culinary institute or another, and he asked Ashley for the recipe. She told him that he could have the recipe, but it would never be as good as mine unless he made his own jam. LOL

Roselin, my boss tells me that shortbread is just butter, held together by sugar. :-)

Annie

o

Annie, I was all out of my raspberry-plum jam and used a gourmet champagne raspberry jam instead this year. They were still good, but the general consensus was they were much better with the homemade jam! Ashley has it right! ;)

Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here