Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorijean44

RECIPE: Jam Thumbprints

lorijean44
20 years ago

I made Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) Jam Thumbprints today. They went together very easily and are delicous!

{{gwi:1497911}}

Makes 32 cookies

3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

7 ounces sweetened flaked coconut

Raspberry and/or apricot jam (I used store-bought apricot and my homemade raspberry-plum jam)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Dump on a floured board and roll together into a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough into 1-1/4-inch balls. (If you have a scale, they should each weigh 1 ounce.) Dip each ball into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown. Cool and serve.

Lori

Comments (17)

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

My mother made jam thumbprints years ago at Christmas. Glad you posted this.

• lorijean44
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I brought them into work and they were a hands-down hit. They were so easy to make, I'm going to bring in more next week.

Lori

• rider
    20 years ago

Pretty much everything Ina does is good... I just bought one of her cookbooks from amazon.com a few days ago. One of the things I want to make is her homemade granola. And lots of other recipes. They all seem so easy and homey.

• notenoughroses
    20 years ago

I want one of her cookbooks for Christmas, but can't decide which one! I watched her show last night where she made these jam thumbprints - looked so yummy! I think I am going to try them next week. Your photo is so tempting - should make them now! ~ Suzie

• barbara52
    19 years ago

One (+) year later ...
    Lori, just wanted to let you know I was thinking of making some raspberry jam thumbprint cookies for a New Year's Day gathering I'm hosting. Did a search and came up w/your recipe, which sounds like a winner. I'll be making them and I'm predicting they'll be a big hit w/my Dutch friends.

• lorijean44
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Barbara, they are sooo easy! They always get raves. I made some for the office last week, but will be making another batch for New Year's myself! Happy baking!

Lori

• barbara52
    19 years ago

Made these this morning, and they were devoured and much appreciated by my guests this evening. One caveat... wait until they are completely cooled before tasting! They looked and smelled so good when they came out of the oven, I just had to sample one (in the name of quality control of course!). Waited what I thought was a reasonable time, but that jam stays HOT for quite a while, and I burned my mouth a bit.
    These are great cookies and I'll definitely make them again. Thanks, Lori.

• lorijean44
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You're welcome, Barbara. Sorry about the burn - hope you're okay now!

Lori

• lindac
    19 years ago

My family all go "EWWW!" at coconut....so I roll mine in chopped almonds or pecans....
    Linda C

• roselin32
    19 years ago

This looks like a good recipe but do you only get 32 cookies from 3/4# of butter?
    Thanks.
    RL`

• barbara52
    19 years ago

Basically, yes. Actually, I must have made mine just a tad smaller than Lori's because I got 39, I think. Repeat after me: "Butter is good... butter is good ... butter is..."
    Really, they're worth it, IMO.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Right but with 3/4 of a pound of butter, seemed like they should have made more. Thanks for your response.
    RL`

• lorijean44
    Original Author
    19 years ago

RL, it's basically a shortbread cookie, that's why so much butter (the main ingredient - agh!) Each cookie is pretty thick, but very tender - I think you'll like them!

Lori

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Thanks, Lori, I probably would. We made the Peanut Blossoms at my son's and didn't get anywhere near the numbers we should have and they are shaped the same way these are so guess it just depends on how large you make the balls.
    RL`

• jane__ny
    19 years ago

I'm going to try these. I made her peanut butter cookies and they turned out like bricks. I threw them out. I wonder if I did something wrong. Has anyone tried her peanut receipe? Jane

• annie1992
    19 years ago

Lori, I made these over Christmas and they were a huge hit. I didn't have coconut so I rolled the balls of dough in colored sugar then used my homemade raspberry and apricot jam to fill them.

Ashley works at a very upscale local "Inn", and she took some to work over Christmas. They have a Chef who went to some culinary institute or another, and he asked Ashley for the recipe. She told him that he could have the recipe, but it would never be as good as mine unless he made his own jam. LOL

Roselin, my boss tells me that shortbread is just butter, held together by sugar. :-)

Annie

• lorijean44
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Annie, I was all out of my raspberry-plum jam and used a gourmet champagne raspberry jam instead this year. They were still good, but the general consensus was they were much better with the homemade jam! Ashley has it right! ;)

Lori