Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Sweetend, unsweetend coconut question..

Posted by sapphires (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 03 at 20:46

Hi,
My cookie recipe calls for unsweetend coconut. Three stores in my area didn't have, so hubby gotten sweetend coconut. Can I use this? What if any difference would it make in the cookies. Help!!!!! Thanks.
Sapphires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Sweetend, unsweetend coconut question..

What kind of cookies are you making, Sapphires? It probably won't matter too much, but you may have to reduce the amount of sugar you use.

Lori

o

I agree with Lori it probably won't make much of a difference. According to the site below they suggest soaking the sweetened coconut in 1/2 water & 1/2 milk in the refrigerator to remove the sugar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to Substitutions

o

Lori,
I am just making coconut butter cookies, my recipe calls for 3/4 C sugar. If I have to reduce sugar what would be your or anyone else's suggestions in the reduction? Or would I not need to reduce the sugar amount? The recipe also says (toasted coconut) but I was thinking if I toast the coconut first and then bake the cookies, the coconut would just get darker. What are your thoughts on that? It's been awhile since I made these and can't remember if I toasted the coconut first or not. I would prefer to cut out that step since I have so much to do with other things.

Ginger,
Thanks for the link you provided, I have it bookmarked. If it really matters that the coconut be unsweetend then I will do as your link suggested.

Thanks to both of you, anxiously awaiting your replies.
Sapphires

o

I have bought unsweetened coconut at health food stores - don't think regular stores carry it, probably for good reason. Unsweetened coconut tastes terrible, in my opinion. It needs all the sugar, butter and flavorings of a recipe to make it palatable. After trying unsweetened, you will notice that 'regular' coconut is very, very sugary. ~ Suzie

o

My guess would be for a cookie or other sweet it probably won't make a lot of difference but in a savory dish using sweetened coconut rather than unsweetened might make the taste come out wrong.

Sapphires, can't you soak the coconut for a while or at least rinse it then dry it? Toasting it only takes a brief time, too.

o

Sapphires, I'd go ahead and follow the recipe as written using the sweetened coconut. The sweetened coconut will probably toast a little quicker, so keep an eye on it (the sugar will make it toast quicker - that may be why the recipe recommends unsweetened). I'm sure it will be fine. Let us know!

Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here