Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylvia_tx

LOOKING for: your favorite Tiramisu

Sylvia
19 years ago

I only recently tried this dessert for the first time and just fell in love. I made the recipe from Joy of Cooking tonight and it is in the fridge right now. The mascarpone package had a very different recipe on it. The Joy of Cooking uses whipping cream for the fluff factor, the mascarpone pkg used egg whites. So now I am wondering, what is *your* favorite way to make tiramisu?

Comments (13)

• ann_t
    19 years ago

Sylvia, this is my favourite Tiramisu recipe. Rather than slice it, I like to scoop it out with an ice cream scoop and serve it in a puddle of Creme Anglaise or custard sauce.

Ann

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

========
    This is my recipe. I have been
    making it this way for many years
    Most Tiramisu recipes
    are made with raw eggs. This one
    starts with cooked custard
    1 Custard recipe (follows)
    1 500g tub of mascarpone cream cheese
    1/2 Cup whipping cream
    1 Cup fresh strong espresso
    1/4 Cup cognac or rum
    1 Package ladyfingers
    ground chocolate
    1/2 Pint whipping cream
    Creme Anglaise (optional)
    Custard
    1/2 Cup sugar
    3 Tablespoons flour
    1/4 Teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 Cups hot milk
    3 egg yolks
    1 Tablespoon butter
    1 Teaspoon vanilla
    . Combine sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in hot milk. Cook
    over low heat stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking for 1
    minute.

Beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually stir in about 1/2 of thickened sauce. Add
    this mixture back into saucepan with remaining sauce. cook an additional 2
    to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and blend in butter and vanilla. Place
    plastic wrap on surface and refrigerate. Cool completely.

Beat Mascarpone cheese with whipping cream. Add cooled custard and mix well.
    Dip ladyfingers into coffee and cognac mixture and place one layer in bowl
    of choice. Cover with half of cheese mixture. Repeat with another layer of
    ladyfingers and finish with cheese mixture. Prepare one day ahead. Before
    serving cover with whipping cream and ground chocolate.

To serve. prepare a Creme Anglaise recipe and pour some on to plate, place
    two scoops of tiramisu on the sauce and drizzle with warm chocolate sauce.
    Add a few fresh strawberries or raspberries

• rosecmd
    19 years ago

Wow, AnnT, that looks fabulous. I'm going to print out and try your rcipe. I had Ina Garten's recipe from one of hter Barefoot Contessa books a few weeks ago and it was to die for. I have the book and looked up the recipe and it did have raw eggs in it --

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

Like Sylvia, I have fallen in love with Tiramisu. I haven't made it, simply because I must make it without the alcohol and I don't know if the wonderful taste sensation will be preserved without it. Ann, do you know what could be substituted for the alcohol, or must I be restricted to ordering my one lone helping at restaurants?

• lindac
    19 years ago

Avoiding this thread....It's making me gain just by reading....and besides the drool is messing up the key-board.....
    Linda C

• ann_t
    19 years ago

Donna, if you don't want to use the alcohol just use more coffee. It will still taste just as good.

Ann

• Sylvia
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Okay, I'm reporting back. This is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! Thanks so much, Ann!

Confessions: I did vary from the recipe, just a tad. Our tubs of mascarpone are 8 oz each, used two which is 16 oz rather than the 17.7 ounces that the 500 grams translates into; a tad shy. Didn't use cognac or rum, just plenty of good strong espresso. And I didn't make the creme anglaise. Ann, I would love your recipe for that as well if you wouldn't mind.

And I have some technical questions. "Beat Mascarpone cheese with whipping cream. Add cooled custard and mix well." Do you whip the cream first, then beat in the mascarpone? Or beat them both together at the same time? And how stiff do you get the mascarpone/cream mixture? And then with the custard, do you just fold that in by hand or beat it as well? I ended up folding in by hand but it took some doing to get it smooth.

I wish I could just stand in your kitchen and watch you fix it! LOL

This was really, really, really delicious.

• shaun
    19 years ago

Sylvia, I think the same thing so often, I just wish I could stand there and watch it being made just once, then I'd feel more at ease making it myself.

• hoopysmom
    18 years ago

I'm a newbee to this cooking forum. Not sure why it took me so long to find this as I've been hanging out at the Kitchen forum for over a year! Now that my kitchen is new and almost complete (missing window/door moulding & a backsplash) cooking is a dream.

I'm entertaining this weekend and want to make tiramisu, but I have the same question as Sylvia above and I'm hoping by posting this will bump and Ann will reply!

WoW, I am so impressed by this forum, such friendly cooks and mouth watering recipies!

• RuddMD
    18 years ago

Sylvia, here's a variation on the Tiramisu theme - a recipe for Tiramisu Cake that Stacy posted. My family loved it!

Tiramisu Cake (Stacy3)

1 (18 1/4 ounce) box French vanilla cake mix

1 pint coffee ice cream, melted

3 eggs

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup sour cream

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

2 tablespoons coffee liqueur (Kahlua - I bought one of the tiny bottles from the Liqueur store and used it all)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

1 tablespoon cocoa

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat standard bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Dust with flour, shake out excess.
    2. With electric mixer, beat cake mix, melted ice cream, & eggs in a bowl for 3 minutes on medium speed. Scrape into prepared cake pan.
    3. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack 20 minutes.
    4. Frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, butter, liqueur & vanilla on medium speed until light & creamy (2 mins or so). On low speed, gradually beat in confectioners sugar, about 1 to 2 minutes. Refrigerate while cake cools.
    5. Once cake is cool, spread frosting over top & sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Dust with cocoa.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Sorry Sylvia , I missed your question. But it looks like I'm in time for Hoopysmom.

I don't whip the cream first. Just mix into the mascarpone and yes, I use the machine to mix the mascarpone with the custard. Also, the difference in size for the mascarpone is minimal so not a problem.

Ann

• hoopysmom
    18 years ago

Thank you Ann! Yes, just in time, I'm making it tonight. I always order Tiramisu if I'm ordering dessert in a restaurant and I can't wait to try your recipe.

I love all the recipes you post and especially the pictures. I've been so busy looking at everyone's kitchen pictures, I had no idea people here posted pictures of their food...now I'm busy looking at everyone's food! If I could ever figure out how to get my pictures on line, I might give it a whirl myself!

• knitmarie
    18 years ago

In Jeff Smith's book, The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian, there is a Tiramisu recipe near the back. I am faithful to it, always being exact with the ingredients, amounts and method with just one exception: I use Sweet Marsala instead of the Brandy he calls for. I make it in a glass loaf pan. It's the best I have ever had, rich and delicious. If you like it light and wet, don't try this one!

• lisbet
    18 years ago

Here is a really good link on the subject! There is even a recipe for you, who don't want to use *raw* eggs.

http://www.heavenlytiramisu.com/rcp-130.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Heavenly Tiramisu

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County